If you had about $6K (-/+) to spend on a new scooter to keep

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

If you had about $6K (-/+) to spend on a new scooter to keep

Post by Mulliganal »

your Buddy, Stella or Blur company what would you buy?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

GTS300. Definitely a scooter for long distance riding.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:GTS300. Definitely a scooter for long distance riding.
^this. What I had first intended to buy, then quickly realized that I didn't quite have that much money to blow in a day.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Id have to find a GTV on sale... love that fenderlight style...
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

buy a used blur and a used 125 then u and a buddy can go cruise together , or go get the new people gti 300 ,299cc ,29! horse power ohh boy
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
supermach

Re: If you had about $6K (-/+) to spend on a new scooter to

Post by supermach »

Mulliganal wrote:your Buddy, Stella or Blur company what would you buy?
The stella. If any would even happen to mine that I own now I would buy the same one again.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I *would* of said a GTS300 before my lovely experience with Modern Vespa mechanics and dealers, but these days... not so much.

As for keeping my P200e company, it's hard to say. If we were only limited to one bike I'd have to make it a REAL good one, such as a GS150 if I looked REAL hard. But, if multiples, I wouldn't mind a Buddy 170i or a Stella with a matching sidecar, since I'd want to keep a P-frame light for cruising myself and the hack for me and my wife.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

By new do you mean "currently produced" or "new to me"?

The GTS 300 is pretty tasty, but I'm not sure I'd choose it over the Scarabeo 500 ($6400, but could probably get one for less). If I'm going to go big, might as well go big. But not Burgman big. Not my thing. I actually think the 'Beo 500 might make a better long distance/touring scooter than the 500.

If I could buy vintage new, well…
For $6K? Fuji Rabbit Superflow? Hell, too many to choose from.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

Like so many things, I think it comes down to what do you want it for? Long distance or higher speed cruising? The big Vespas or BVs sure are pretty, or even though it's new, the People GT300 looks tempting. You want in town, or lower speed rides, maybe a redone Vespa, Lammy or the Rabbit (drool).

Like someone said, so many models.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Syd wrote:Like so many things, I think it comes down to what do you want it for? Long distance or higher speed cruising? The big Vespas or BVs sure are pretty, or even though it's new, the People GT300 looks tempting. You want in town, or lower speed rides, maybe a redone Vespa, Lammy or the Rabbit (drool).

Vespa SS180. I would get rid of every other scooter before that one
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

xTomBx wrote:Id have to find a GTV on sale... love that fenderlight style...
Different strokes!

Personally I find the GTV hideous. To me it was like they said "Hey...let's make a modern version of a super classic vintage wide body....OK....move the light to the fender...OK....we're done...let's go to lunch."

I like the concept, but just seems that they put little effort into pulling it off. For riding it's a great scooter
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'd find a used silverwing in good condition for about 5k and then put the other 1k toward having it custom painted :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Probably nowhere near 6K, but, if I could find one, it'd be an Italjet Dragster 180. Already have the Helix for cruising/commuting, so this'd just be a toy for those "I feel like a bad boy" days.

I figure that I could use whatever remained of the 6K to buy more medical insurance.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

If my wife and I really get into scootering we're going to need a larger around town scooter and the GTS300 is on my list. The Stella 4T is a great scooter and I really like mine, but for two-up riding it just doesn't cut it for my wife. If we get more into this hobby we will probably end up with three scooters, my Stella, her Buddy 50cc and something like the Vespa GTS300 or People GT 300i.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
TVB

Post by TVB »

Six grand? I'd buy a pink Buddy 50, a Buddy 50 Italia, and with what's left... I don't know, a cheap used moped of some kind, I guess. :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

To those who want a Rabbit SuperFlow...I'll sell ya mine for $6k today :)

If someone gave me $6k to spend on a scooter, well, that's a lot of money. I've never spent that much on a single bike before. A pristine Goggo, Heinkel, Maico...something German and I would still have money left over.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I'd find a used silverwing in good condition for about 5k and then put the other 1k toward having it custom painted :)
How about I deliver my Silverwing to you in very good condition for $2.5K (instead of $5K). You keep the extra $2.5K to fund your paint job and a long roadtrip and I'll use my frequent flier miles to get home where I'll buy LMC's Scarebear? Sort of an all-change kinda thing.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I'd find a used silverwing in good condition for about 5k and then put the other 1k toward having it custom painted :)
How about I deliver my Silverwing to you in very good condition for $2.5K (instead of $5K). You keep the extra $2.5K to fund your paint job and a long roadtrip and I'll use my frequent flier miles to get home where I'll buy LMC's Scarebear? Sort of an all-change kinda thing.
A three-way trade on MB! Now that's exciting!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:shock: Now there's an idea.

Let me know if you two want to think about that trade. :)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The GTS Vespa is a great scooter. The GTS 250 is presently also a great buy. Get one, ride it, be happy :wink: .
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Syd wrote:Like so many things, I think it comes down to what do you want it for? Long distance or higher speed cruising? The big Vespas or BVs sure are pretty, or even though it's new, the People GT300 looks tempting. You want in town, or lower speed rides, maybe a redone Vespa, Lammy or the Rabbit (drool).

Vespa SS180. I would get rid of every other scooter before that one
Yeah, if it was down to vintage, that would be my first pick but it'd be a lot less than $6K. Maybe that and an SX200. :)
siobhan wrote:To those who want a Rabbit SuperFlow...I'll sell ya mine for $6k today :)

If someone gave me $6k to spend on a scooter, well, that's a lot of money. I've never spent that much on a single bike before. A pristine Goggo, Heinkel, Maico...something German and I would still have money left over.
Hah, I didn't say I have $6K for a Superflow! (There's a pair of running Rabbit 90s FS near here at $1800 for both! Pokey, but cute…)

The Maicoletta is pretty much the pinnacle of scooter design for me, but not as easy to find as even a Heinkel. A Goggo… Can you get one for $6k? I've never seen one for sale!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm wrote:Hah, I didn't say I have $6K for a Superflow! (There's a pair of running Rabbit 90s FS near here at $1800 for both! Pokey, but cute…)

The Maicoletta is pretty much the pinnacle of scooter design for me, but not as easy to find as even a Heinkel. A Goggo… Can you get one for $6k? I've never seen one for sale!
Javaspeed had a white Goggo with red seat for $4500 for sale for a very long time when I first moved up to PVD. We stupidly bought a house when we moved here and "fun" money just wasn't to be had. I used to visit it and watch this video and feel sorry for myself. I'll probably have one eventually as it's weird that none of my scooters or bikes are German. I like the little Rabbit 90s...if you think they're pokey, you've never ridden the 200. It's like 0 to 50 in about 10 minutes.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

a "Big Ruckus" with all the bells and whistles
laurafulbusch

Post by laurafulbusch »

Honda SH150i
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Probably a Silverwing, since I have no other scoot. It's big but doesn't seem to have quite lost its scooterishness compared to a Burg 650. Still, it would cover all the bases, although

You really can't go wrong buying anything with the Honda name on it.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

laurafulbusch wrote:Honda SH150i
The sh150i is super awesome for an in-town ride that can do alright on the highways. I love mine but I wouldn't mind having something bigger for longer rides or rides where I knew I was going to be doing a lot of highway riding. For that sort of riding I'd really like to have an sh300i but Honda hasn't brought that one over to the states and it's not liley to do so. Therefore the silverwing seems like the best option to me. Hopefully I'll be in a position to buy one once my wifes grandvista is paid off.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

We probably won't get the Honda 300 but what about that Kymco? The regular scooter, not the little maxi.
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

I'd get a used MP3 400. Lots of storage, very easy to ride 2 up, and very stable over potholes, railroad tracks, bumps in the road.
Tom

Post by Tom »

2nd on the MP3. I already have a cranky classic, a project in pieces (the 90), and my Stella 4T. Would be nice for rainy days and/ or anytime I had to get on the freeway or just for really long trips.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Vespa S 150 i.e.
With a few accessories, tax, doc, setup....it would probably hit $6K
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: Vespa SS180. I would get rid of every other scooter before that one
Yeah, if it was down to vintage, that would be my first pick but it'd be a lot less than $6K. Maybe that and an SX200. :)
SS180s restored and with the original piston ported motor are getting pretty rare. Granted mine is a 68 and the rarest of the 180's but I have had unsolicited offers of well over $5,000 for mine. If I found a good condition SX200 for $6,000 I would jump on that deal!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Keys

Post by Keys »

I already have 3 scooters. I'd just buy an older VW bus and fix it up to haul my keyboards and amp to gigs.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:
ericalm wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: Vespa SS180. I would get rid of every other scooter before that one
SS180s restored and with the original piston ported motor are getting pretty rare. Granted mine is a 68 and the rarest of the 180's but I have had unsolicited offers of well over $5,000 for mine. If I found a good condition SX200 for $6,000 I would jump on that deal!
I've seen decent SS180s go for around $3500-$5000 here, but I haven't had my eye out recently. Too heartbreaking to see them go… and go… and go…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Keys wrote:I already have 3 scooters. I'd just buy an older VW bus and fix it up to haul my keyboards and amp to gigs.

--Keys
He is on to something... nothing was said on a scooter-hauler. It was just said to spend it on something to keep your scooter company.

Very cunning.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Keys wrote:I already have 3 scooters. I'd just buy an older VW bus and fix it up to haul my keyboards and amp to gigs.

--Keys
You mean you want to "ride the magic bus?"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

For me the choice was easy. I targeted lightly used GTS 250's and 300's because I didn't want to spend the full $6K. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a new GTS isn't "worth" $6K, I just didn't want to spend that much. When I first tested a GTS, back in late 2006, I was very impressed. And, for my daily commute and most other uses, it's perfect for me. I bought it in July with 340-ish miles on the clock and it's just about to hit the 1000 mile point. I absolutely love it.

Had I wanted something bigger or more highway-capable I'd probably opt for a T-Max over the competing Honda and Suzuki models.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Thanks for passing that one. Beautiful pics and lots of them.

The Lambretta is really set off by those chrome bits, especially on the sides and rear.

Problem is, If I had one in that condition, I'd be afraid to ride it. I'm better with something I can ride the wheels off without fear.

Wonder why nobody makes a modern repro of a Lambretta, since faux Vespa copies abound?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bodge! :P
Southerner wrote:Thanks for passing that one. Beautiful pics and lots of them.

The Lambretta is really set off by those chrome bits, especially on the sides and rear.

Problem is, If I had one in that condition, I'd be afraid to ride it. I'm better with something I can ride the wheels off without fear.

Wonder why nobody makes a modern repro of a Lambretta, since faux Vespa copies abound?
Actually, they do. They just don't sell them here.
Syd

Post by Syd »

It is funny how there are hundreds of pics of the body but none of the engine. I wonder what's in there?

The centerstand boots aren't clear yellow, what are the hallmarks of a VLammy?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:what are the hallmarks of a VLammy?
Not sure. Loose rubber band on the floorboard?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Must be an "in" joke. :?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Just sayin'...
Attachments
GlobalThermonuclearWar.JPG
GlobalThermonuclearWar.JPG (28.99 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Listed under 'for sale by owner', but the phone number traces back to these guys:

http://www.haverhillmotorcars.com/newandusedcars.aspx

"Fully-restored" Lammy from a used car lot?

Ferrari stickers?

I smell lemon grass.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Southerner wrote:Must be an "in" joke. :?
There is a collection of well known markers of nice looking vintage Vespas that come out of Vietnam (generally). Clear rubber centerstand boots, un-vintage two-tone paint, and vinyl tunnel covers are some, I think. They look nice, but the frames are often pieced together out of parts of other Vespas, filled with bondo. They have been known to fall apart when riding them. The engines too are salvaged from whatever is laying around, and are not to be trusted.

But I have only heard of vintage Vespas being bodges, so I was wondering if there was a different set of criteria for Viet-Bodge Lambrettas. It is suspicious that the pictured Lammy seemed to have been just unwrapped from stretch wrap, and it is all done up nice and pretty too, so Eric is probably right (oh, he knows tons more than I do, too).
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Syd wrote:
Southerner wrote:Must be an "in" joke. :?
There is a collection of well known markers of nice looking vintage Vespas that come out of Vietnam (generally). Clear rubber centerstand boots, un-vintage two-tone paint, and vinyl tunnel covers are some, I think. They look nice, but the frames are often pieced together out of parts of other Vespas, filled with bondo. They have been known to fall apart when riding them. The engines too are salvaged from whatever is laying around, and are not to be trusted.

But I have only heard of vintage Vespas being bodges, so I was wondering if there was a different set of criteria for Viet-Bodge Lambrettas. It is suspicious that the pictured Lammy seemed to have been just unwrapped from stretch wrap, and it is all done up nice and pretty too, so Eric is probably right (oh, he knows tons more than I do, too).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-p ... 3cbc6964db
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Yes, they bodge Lammys, too. If you're buying a Lammy, I would hope that you would know a thing or two about them. We've been really lucky with our Lammys...one was an apple orchard runner; one was from a known Lammy guy in Queens; and the third one was from a moped guy who I had previously dealt with on other scoots.

As for getting a museum-quality bike...you won't ride it so what's the point unless you're running a museum. I want rust. I want dents. I want charactah!

http://www.nycscootering.com/2009/10/04 ... bodge-101/
Tom

Post by Tom »

My VBB is one of those from Retrovespa mentioned in the ad. I would concur it's totally a mixed bag. In case anyone is ever on the fence about them (they get some good and some bad press), I would not have bought it if I had to do over.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If I were to restore a vintage scooter, I'd forego trying to dig for one in the Craigslist world and just get a frame from Scooterworks, build up a new engine and title it as new "special construction". May end up costing more, but you're getting a TRUE custom bike that you know has the parts from the right places. If it doesn't, then you only have yourself to blame for buying the wrong parts:P

But, I'm happy with my P200e (I get it in my grubby hands Tuesday!!!).

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
Syd wrote:what are the hallmarks of a VLammy?
Not sure. Loose rubber band on the floorboard?
Bodgers have gotten away from the yellow boots.

I'm far from a Lammy expert (more of a Vespa guy) but even I can tell that all that flashy chrome is a warning, the spare tire mounted on the leg shield and the cover is incorrect, the seat is wrong and the exhaust is wrong.
www.teamscootertrash.com