[NBR] SYM Classic (Wolf) 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Why is a 250cc motorcycle "small," while a 250cc Vespa is not?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PeterC wrote:Why is a 250cc motorcycle "small," while a 250cc Vespa is not?
It's all about expectations. Not unlike just about everything else in life... :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:Maybe if this takes off, they'll be tempted to build a 350cc twin in a retro-Honda style. That begins to be in the "big-enough" category while still not huge by any means.

I have a feeling that if the economy picks up, Kymco is gonna eat SYM's lunch here in the east because of that whole Carter Bros. debacle.
These are being built for riders in Asia and urban riders in Europe. US dealers thought they were cool so lobbied to get them sold here because of their crossover appeal for scooterists and small motorcycle enthusiasts. Given the size of this niche in the US market and the competition for larger and pricier motorcycles here, I think a larger version is unlikely.

Lance has now picked up SYM in the east. They've been doing a pretty good job in the west and now that they have the whole thing settled can hopefully start to execute more coherent strategies and plans for the whole country. Most buyers know nothing about the Carter Bros. Once bikes are on dealer floors and parts are coming in, they'll have no idea there ever was a debacle.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

PeterC, in answer to your question, all I can figure is that scooter displacements have been traditionally small. Having said that, I think modern MC displacements have gotten insane. I can't believe that a Honda CB750 or a Kawasaki KZ1000 would now be considered small-to-medium.

I get that we are getting the unadulterated models intended primarily for Yerp & Asia. That's cool. The traditional gripe in the MC community is that the Europeans get all the cool stuff so this is nice.

I like that this returns some sanity to motorcycling. Back in the 70s, we kids started on reasonably sized motorcycles sized for young people and beginners, usually dirt bikes. Now dirt bikes have seat heights 35" and more so that alternative is gone. Now beginners, those with enough sense to start with something small and controllable, have a hard time finding a reasonably sized and inexpensive starter bike.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:PeterC, in answer to your question, all I can figure is that scooter displacements have been traditionally small. Having said that, I think modern MC displacements have gotten insane. I can't believe that a Honda CB750 or a Kawasaki KZ1000 would now be considered small-to-medium.
There are some decent 250s out there, by which I mean maybe 4 models that are basically just scaled-down versions of bigger bikes that are sold as "starter models," or targeted to women and riders with small budgets.

Certainly not the breadth of selection in smaller displacements that was available in the US until the mid-'70s or so.

I'm all for the right bike (scooter or motorcycle) for the rider's needs. A lot of people recommend getting the biggest bike you can afford. I often say get the smallest that fulfills your needs. I know that's not the prevailing attitude anymore, but it's why I own 150s now. I've ridden bigger scoots in urban areas and I prefer the size and so on of smaller ones. I'd probably feel the same about motorcycles.

I know MANY Vespa GTS owners who have never taken them on any road requiring anything more than 45-50mph. None of my concern what other people choose to buy or ride, but I don't really get it.

Plus, small bikes are just fun as hell. The SYM is light, easy to move and plenty quick.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

trying to like this as it would be suitable for me in some ways

website says it has a "carry weight" of 242 pounds though. myself being 240 makes me think i would have to ride naked to even haul my laptop around with me :(
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:trying to like this as it would be suitable for me in some ways

website says it has a "carry weight" of 242 pounds though. myself being 240 makes me think i would have to ride naked to even haul my laptop around with me :(
Do you know the reported carry weight/GVWR for the Agility?

For whatever reason, GVWR specs for a lot of Asian scooters and bikes (including the Buddys) are often way under-reported.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hehe - yeah, just watched another Amazing Race and saw a scooter with what looked like a rider and about 500 lbs. of cargo :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:
JHScoot wrote:trying to like this as it would be suitable for me in some ways

Do you know the reported carry weight/GVWR for the Agility?

For whatever reason, GVWR specs for a lot of Asian scooters and bikes (including the Buddys) are often way under-reported.
Not to mention the Symba, when you see what the old Cub hauls regularly without issue. On ninety-nine is way too low!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Southerner wrote:PeterC, in answer to your question, all I can figure is that scooter displacements have been traditionally small. Having said that, I think modern MC displacements have gotten insane. I can't believe that a Honda CB750 or a Kawasaki KZ1000 would now be considered small-to-medium.
There are some decent 250s out there, by which I mean maybe 4 models that are basically just scaled-down versions of bigger bikes that are sold as "starter models," or targeted to women and riders with small budgets.

Certainly not the breadth of selection in smaller displacements that was available in the US until the mid-'70s or so.

I'm all for the right bike (scooter or motorcycle) for the rider's needs. A lot of people recommend getting the biggest bike you can afford. I often say get the smallest that fulfills your needs. I know that's not the prevailing attitude anymore, but it's why I own 150s now. I've ridden bigger scoots in urban areas and I prefer the size and so on of smaller ones. I'd probably feel the same about motorcycles.

I know MANY Vespa GTS owners who have never taken them on any road requiring anything more than 45-50mph. None of my concern what other people choose to buy or ride, but I don't really get it.

Plus, small bikes are just fun as hell. The SYM is light, easy to move and plenty quick.
There have been additions and subtractions in the small street bike category. Honda's Rebel as been around seemingly forever. I remember it when it was a 185. Suzuki keeps a 250 cruiser in its lineup and even added the new TU250, which has EFI. Kawasaki seems to have eliminated the "Eliminator" but the 250 Ninja is selling briskly. Yamaha still has a neat 250 V-Twin
The newest thing is that Honda 250 single, which has been designed from a clean sheet and it shows.

Going up a category, neither Yamaha nor Honda have had a 400-500 in years, Kawasaki dropped their 500cc twin and now Suzuki has as well.

Since I'm not an urbanite, I would have to have something that could sustain 70mph at least, just to get to town. My requirements are based on practicality, for the most part. I think the 250s mentioned here are about minimum, given my weight.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PeteH wrote:Hehe - yeah, just watched another Amazing Race and saw a scooter with what looked like a rider and about 500 lbs. of cargo :D
Yep, saw that, too! Did you notice how few scooters there were and how small motorcycles have pretty much taken over the streets just like in last week's episode of Amazing Race? They tell me this is a worldwide phenomena; in India, China, Southeast Asia, Indonisia... and so on. It sort of begs the question - Why don't we get any of those machines here? - doesn't it?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
PeteH wrote:Hehe - yeah, just watched another Amazing Race and saw a scooter with what looked like a rider and about 500 lbs. of cargo :D
Yep, saw that, too! Did you notice how few scooters there were and how small motorcycles have pretty much taken over the streets just like in last week's episode of Amazing Race? They tell me this is a worldwide phenomena; in India, China, Southeast Asia, Indonisia... and so on. It sort of begs the question - Why don't we get any of those machines here? - doesn't it?
A few years ago, Bajaj stopped making scooters to focus solely on the small motorcycle category.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Southerner wrote: Going up a category, neither Yamaha nor Honda have had a 400-500 in years, Kawasaki dropped their 500cc twin and now Suzuki has as well.
The 400s exist, the companies just wont release them to the US. Google the Yamaha YBR400 or Honda CB400 still in production in Asia. Supposedly Australia gets the CB400 as well per Wikipedia.

The CBR250r single looks interesting. I'm not thrilled about that style of bike vs the Sym Classic which I think is really gorgeous. I am interested in the EFI ABS, and other modern features though.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

That's the big breakthrough on the CBR250R: A redesigned, modern single, liquid-cooled, with EFI, and ABS, for $4k.

The plastic's a 2-edged sword. Nice if it keeps some wind off but expensive to replace.

Personally, I think the time's about ripe for a small displacement MC with automatic transmission. Honda's Integra will be that, albeit at 700cc but the price is NOT going to be cheap. I think a conventional CVT in a traditional MC would not need such a whopping price point. Right now, the closest things are the big wheel scooters, like the Scarabeos and Sportcitys and other similar bikes.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:Personally, I think the time's about ripe for a small displacement MC with automatic transmission. Honda's Integra will be that, albeit at 700cc but the price is NOT going to be cheap. I think a conventional CVT in a traditional MC would not need such a whopping price point. Right now, the closest things are the big wheel scooters, like the Scarabeos and Sportcitys and other similar bikes.
I was thinking about this the other day. It would be interesting for the big companies to at least do some market testing and research around this.

There are plenty of people who are for whatever reason more drawn to motorcycles than scooters. But the shifting aspect is daunting for many would-be riders. Honda's had semi-auto (Hondamatic) transmissions as well as the one in the current DN-1 ($$$$) but putting it into a more entry-level, smaller and cheaper bike seems like a logical move.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Coulda bought a Hawkmatic 400 back in the 80s. Went with a Suzuki 450 instead. Stupid boyish macho thing, I guess.

And it's not like it doesn't really exist, at least in step-through form, in the aforementioned Aprilias, the Italian Hondas (including the 300 we don't get, Grrrrr), plus the Kymos and the SYMs.

But I do think a more conventional MC layout would sell, For that, other than the ones you named, there's the Aprilia Mana and an expensive custom called the Ridley AutoGlide.
Really, all of these are bigger than I think ideal. Something 500cc down to 300 is probably more the sweet spot from a sales perspective.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Everyone's forgetting one more small displacement motorcycle. The Aprilia RS 125!

Last edited by k1dude on Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I guess it was just kinda abstruse. I didn't even realize it was street-legal.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

k1dude wrote:Everyone's forgetting one more small displacement motorcycle. The Aprilia RS 125!
Missing from your post is the MSRP of $5,500. I can't imagine that they have sold even one of these at that price.

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/2 ... rview.aspx
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Southerner wrote:I guess it was just kinda abstruse. I didn't even realize it was street-legal.
Details, details. Bah! I wish they'd make it in a 4T. Or even a legal 250. I'd take it over the Ninja or Honda 250's anyday just based on the paint job.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

thehypercube wrote:Missing from your post is the MSRP of $5,500. I can't imagine that they have sold even one of these at that price.
Any Aprilia, Ducati, or BMW is going to cost you much much more than an equivalent Japanese bike, much less a Taiwan bike.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

k1dude wrote:Any Aprilia, Ducati, or BMW is going to cost you much much more than an equivalent Japanese bike, much less a Taiwan bike.
Not really

Yamaha R1 $14,500
Honda CBR 1000 $13800
Kawi ZX10R $14,000- $15,000

BMW S1000rr base $14,000
Ducati 1198 $16,500
Aprilia RSV4r $16,000

In the naked class:

Honda CB1000 $10,999
Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 $11,995
Ducati Monster 1100 EVO ABS $11,995
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

desmolicious wrote:
k1dude wrote:Any Aprilia, Ducati, or BMW is going to cost you much much more than an equivalent Japanese bike, much less a Taiwan bike.
Not really

Yamaha R1 $14,500
Honda CBR 1000 $13800

BMW S1000rr base $14,000
Ducati 1198 $16,500
Aprilia RSV4r $16,000

In the naked class:

Honda CB1000 $10,999
Sorry. Those aren't equivalent bikes. You're taking top of the line Japanese bikes and comparing them with the bottom of the line Euro bikes.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

k1dude wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
Not really

Yamaha R1 $14,500
Honda CBR 1000 $13800

BMW S1000rr base $14,000
Ducati 1198 $16,500
Aprilia RSV4r $16,000

In the naked class:

Honda CB1000 $10,999
Sorry. Those aren't equivalent bikes. You're taking top of the line Japanese bikes and comparing them with the bottom of the line Euro bikes.
How does a Yam R1 not compare with a base BMW S1000RR? Apart from the fact that the BMW makes 30 more hp at the wheel for $500 LESS?
Apart from the power deficit, the 'base' BMW has the same specs as the Yam.
And the "Bottom of the line" Duc 1198 makes about the same hp as the Japanese bikes , but much much more torque.

But I get it, it goes against whatever the point is you're trying to prove.

Maybe you'll understand the Honda SH150 is $4500, same as an S150 Vespa, while the Piaggio BV Tourer 300 is $4999? Much more European bike for only $500 more...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

thehypercube wrote:
k1dude wrote:Everyone's forgetting one more small displacement motorcycle. The Aprilia RS 125!
Missing from your post is the MSRP of $5,500. I can't imagine that they have sold even one of these at that price.

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/2 ... rview.aspx
There are a few out there. Given that Aprilia isn't the most popular mark out there, it has limited appeal. This is a track bike and definitely targeted at fans and enthusiasts, not for the average rider.

Overseas it also comes in a 50cc! This one isn't sold in the US. It would be pretty goofy to dial this back to most states' 50cc restrictions.

There are some of the 50s in the US; I've seen a pic of one that came through a local dealer.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I believe that this thread started out discussing a $3,000 retro-classic bike, and a damn attractive one at that. How did we end up with crotch rockets in the five figures?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeterC wrote:I believe that this thread started out discussing a $3,000 retro-classic bike, and a damn attractive one at that. How did we end up with crotch rockets in the five figures?
Displacement creep strikes again.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Displacement, feature, disk usage, underwear; everything creeps but my income!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

ok then back on the topic of the Sym Classic that sort of ties in with these "crotch rockets"...

150cc Classic --> 250cc Crotch Rocket. is a 67% increase in displacement. What keeps top speed of the crotch rockets from showing a similar improvement over the classic? Is it more about torque than hp? If you know anything about engines you can probably tell that I don't, but it's an honest question.

The Buddy was/is my first 2 wheeler but I think I'm going to need a much, much bigger change jar and move on up as soon as I can afford it (aka not that soon).

Love the Buddy, but I face a fair bit of incline/decline and curves on my relatively short commute. It handles them fine i guess, which is why there's not a huge hurry. Could just be "better" and wouldn't mind being able to use the freeway for shortcuts across town. I almost feel like freeway at a higher speed might be safer than lower speeds with all of the stop signs and stop lights I'm terrified of folks running. I've seen it happen plenty, just lucky on the timing up to this point.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Can't believe nobody has brought up the KTM 125...sweet little "motard" type. And fast!

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Southerner wrote:I like that this returns some sanity to motorcycling. Back in the 70s, we kids started on reasonably sized motorcycles sized for young people and beginners, usually dirt bikes. Now dirt bikes have seat heights 35" and more so that alternative is gone. Now beginners, those with enough sense to start with something small and controllable, have a hard time finding a reasonably sized and inexpensive starter bike.
Some sense to this point of view. I grew up in the early days of Hondas. Rode a 160 twin from Boston to Portland (OR). Rode a 350 up and down the West Coast. They did the job and I had a good time. Now I ride a 250 MP3 as my "road bike". It happily cruises at 60 to 70 for as long as I want. That works for me.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

desmolicious wrote:
Not really

Yamaha R1 $14,500
Honda CBR 1000 $13800

BMW S1000rr base $14,000
Ducati 1198 $16,500
Aprilia RSV4r $16,000

In the naked class:

Honda CB1000 $10,999
yeah but i wonder how these numbers compare?

don't know what model this is for, however

http://www.healthinfodesign.com/ducati/ducati_maint.htm
Riding is riding
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

desmolicious wrote:How does a Yam R1 not compare with a base BMW S1000RR? Apart from the fact that the BMW makes 30 more hp at the wheel for $500 LESS?
Apart from the power deficit, the 'base' BMW has the same specs as the Yam.
And the "Bottom of the line" Duc 1198 makes about the same hp as the Japanese bikes , but much much more torque.

Maybe you'll understand the Honda SH150 is $4500, same as an S150 Vespa, while the Piaggio BV Tourer 300 is $4999? Much more European bike for only $500 more...
Wow. What got your underwear in a bundle? I've been nothing but respectful. I can't say the same about you. Where to even start with your disinformation?

1. The Yamaha R1 is Yamaha's top-of-the-line sport bike for $14,490 (tricked out Special Edition). If you want to compare it with BMW's top-of-the-line sport bike, it would be their HP2 Sport which 'starts' at $26,000 and goes WAY up. What? You say it's unfair to compare a 1.00 liter bike with a 1.17 liter bike? OK, let's drop further down BMW's sport bike line to the S 1000 RR. Similarly equipped, it runs $18,000 and goes WAY up from there.

2. Your Ducati 1198 hp comparison means nothing. You know as well as everyone else that it depends on what is on the bike and where in the line-up it falls. Magnesium? Carbon? Components? Their top-of-the-line equivalent to the R1 is the 1198 R Corse which 'starts' at $40,000 and goes WAY up from there.

If you think Euro stuff is as cheap as Japanese stuff, I suggest you make an even-steven trade on your Honda Civic for a Ferrari FF and let me know how that goes.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okeh, that's quite enough of the bickering from all involved or considering getting involved or who suspect they may have been involved whether or not they actually were.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:Okeh, that's quite enough of the bickering from all involved or considering getting involved or who suspect they may have been involved whether or not they actually were.
Awww, but he started it!
:wink:

So anyways, howsabout that Sym Wolf?..
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Glad to see you guys don't tolerate flamers here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:Glad to see you guys don't tolerate flamers here.
Part of the Posting Guidelines that everyone agrees to when they register for the forum despite not actually having read them in most cases. :)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

One further note, and it's dead on topic, which is unusual for me, is that the Alliance Powersports website lists only 4 SYM models and chose the Wolf to be one of them. That indicates a high degree of confidence in its sales success to me.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Since I have been keeping my eye on this locally, I've discovered there are some in-house photos from SFMoto now that include closeups of all the components on the bike for anyone who's interested:
http://sf-moto.ebizautos.com/detail-201 ... 44471.html
Speedweasel

Post by Speedweasel »

Sweet bike... totally retro.

If I had one, I'd paint it up Evel Knievel style.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm glad they kept it carbureted so it still has a kick starter. Heck, I even like the choke knob on the triple clamp.

Thanks for sharing those photos. They seem to show a lot of build quality.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

more ocd wolf stalking:
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1387.0

Here's a guy that just got his from NoHo and his post also links to a photobucket gallery of when he got home and took things apart!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Still looks well-made. I assume from the photo that the air cleaner is a foam element. Or at least it looks similar to those I've seen on old dirt bikes.

Still wish they'd do a copy of a cb350.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

I'm with you re: CB350. If I step up (cc-wise) from my buddy 125, it's got to be significant enough to justify the cost. 150 doesn't cut it, but I am in love with the looks. Trying to keep a watchful eye to see if any performance mods/kits come out.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I don't expect they'll venture out of the small bike niche, but they might do well if they went with the scrambler. That one was quite popular when I was young.

I don't know how much you want to mod a 150cc bike. It would seem simpler to just move up to one of the 250s that are on the market, like the Suzuki TU250.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

Southerner wrote:I don't expect they'll venture out of the small bike niche, but they might do well if they went with the scrambler. That one was quite popular when I was young.

I don't know how much you want to mod a 150cc bike. It would seem simpler to just move up to one of the 250s that are on the market, like the Suzuki TU250.
The TU250 is nice, except the part where it's not available in CA :/

I went to the honda dealer and sat on a cbr250r and hated it. then went straight to the sym dealer, sat on the classic 150 and was in heaven. I do agree about not wanting to do too much modding on a 150. Thats why they should just do a 170i version of their own :)
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

PeterC wrote:Why is a 250cc motorcycle "small," while a 250cc Vespa is not?
Because you can get a motorcycle with 2.3 liters displacement (2300cc)... 250cc is only 0.25 liters worth of displacement. So, a 250cc motorcycle is very small, while a scooter of even 500cc is very large, when you take into account the smallest scooters are 50cc (0.05 liters).

Southerner wrote:Still looks well-made. I assume from the photo that the air cleaner is a foam element. Or at least it looks similar to those I've seen on old dirt bikes.

Still wish they'd do a copy of a cb350.
Yes... that would be an ideal engine size.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I actually saw a new SYM Classic 150 at ScootOver yesterday ... not only saw it, but sat on it, even though it had a SOLD tag on it (dammit!). It fit me perfectly, and appeared to be a very well-built, nicely detailed café racer replica. The owner showed up, all the way from Las Cruces, NM, to pick up his new treasure, and was quite excited about it. I agree, it should be a fun ride!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:My psychic wife keeps giving me this funny look like, "I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING AND THE ANSWER IS 'NO.'"

I hate it when that happens! :shock:
Funny Especially from the inside... R
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »