Gas additive to neutralize or dimish the effects of Ethanol.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

prrfan53

Gas additive to neutralize or dimish the effects of Ethanol.

Post by prrfan53 »

Using this Star-Brite over the summer seems to up the Italia's mileage and definitely makes the bike faster and livelier! Very noticeable improvement! Anybody else try this or similar stuff? Results? I laid off WOT when my GPS said 68 MPH! Freeways in Canada were less daunting this past summer. Current MPG is about 87+/-2; 81-82 going two-up w/ 108 LB wife. Love this little buzz-saw! On the negative side, the stock whitewalls wear very fast on the rear. Keeping pressure at 32PSI. Any better W/Walls out there?
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

When I was looking at both the Buddy & Blur at the end of August, the local dealer recommended doing as you did as he said the ethanol can cause problems with the scoots.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Hmmm. I did a search on the forum and see no mention of Star-Brite. I'm interested to hear others who have used it comment also. Sounds pretty good.

I wonder how much my mph would increase (I have a 125), as I currently can go 62mph (67-70 indicated). :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Seafoam rocks
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
viney266

Post by viney266 »

What I use is called star tron...same stuff? And yes, it works well for me, been using it in bikes for over 2 years now.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Star Brite (www.mystarbrite.com/startron) is the company, Star Tron is the product.

(Edited to fix URL - apparently StarBrite is a much larger marketing organization.)
Last edited by PeteH on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Ahhh Gotcha...I never noticed :)

And yeah, it works well for me. I have half a dozen antique bikes that only move a few times a year and it does well in them :)
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

viney266

Post by viney266 »

black sunshine wrote:is this the stuff?

^^^ YEAH, thats it!
Phil P

Post by Phil P »

So based on 1oz for 6 gal of gas, you would use 1/4 of a oz in the tank
of our Buddy's. Is that right?
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

BuddyRaton wrote:Seafoam rocks
Aerosmith, None Other.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Are you talking about it helping with E10 or E85?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I happened to be in my dealership when a Genuine rep was on-site - they both spoke highly of Star Tron as a winter/storage additive. I got the impression that it stabilized fuel like SeaFoam, but had some additional anti-ethanol benefits. I haven't been using either during the every-day-riding months.
squasher5

Post by squasher5 »

re: Star Tron additive

It is available from Amazon in 3 diff sizes. I just ordered the 16 oz container.....the reviews on this product are awesome.

:P
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

We use Star Tron. I was basically told to never NOT use an ethanol-combatting additive.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I always use it if I feel the scooter is going to sit for possibly more than a couple of weeks. If over a month you def. want the stuff in there. Cheap insurance. I know the 10% has been wrecking carbs on small dirt bikes ( and scooters too I'm sure)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm going to have to try some of that. Has anyone noticed an improvement in fuel mileage?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I use it to keep the carbs from gumming up on dirtbikes, scooters, lawnmowers etc...Never payed attention for milage improvement. Don't know how it could....but would be interested to find out.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stabil also makes an ethanol treatment. Different prodict than their regular gasoline stabilizer.
theflash784

Gas additive to neutralize effects of etholnol

Post by theflash784 »

Question- would you need that if you use premium gas? I always use 93 in my Buddy 125.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Taken from the StarTron/StarBrite web site:

What is Star Tron® and How Does It Work?
Star Tron® is a revolutionary multifunctional fuel treatment based on naturally-occurring enzymes. While this is a unique application of enzyme technology, we encounter various enzymes in our everyday lives. For example, enzymes in laundry detergents break down dirt and stains so that they may be easily washed away, even in cold water. Enzymes in the human digestive system break down food into components that are easily used by the body to produce energy. Functioning as biocatalysts, enzymes increase and control the rate of chemical reactions. Star Tron® uses highly specialized enzymes to modify how gasoline and diesel fuel burns, resulting in more complete and uniform combustion with reduced engine emissions. This same enzyme package breaks down fuel sludge and allows water to be dispersed throughout the fuel as sub-micron sized droplets that can be eliminated as the engine operates while also cleaning the entire fuel delivery system. Contaminants are either safely burned off or filtered out, and fuel chemistry is stabilized for long-term storage.
Star Tron® is not affected by and does not affect any fuel treatment that may already be in use. There is no possibility of any negative chemical interaction. Because Star Tron® is pure fuel, it cannot be over-dosed. It is formulated for use in all 2 and 4-cycle gasoline engines and in all diesel engines.
Increasing Power, Improving Fuel Economy and Reducing Emissions
All engines - whether new or old, powering boats, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, motorcycles, RVs or anything else - are not always operating at peak efficiency and thus not burning the entire fuel charge. Two examples are when an engine is idling or under extreme load such as a vehicle towing a trailer or a boat accelerating to planing speed. Incomplete combustion wastes fuel, but it also causes a buildup of harmful carbon deposits that further reduce engine efficiency, resulting in harmful emissions. By breaking apart large clusters of fuel molecules to create more surface area, additional oxygen can react during the fuel combustion phase, resulting in a more complete burn of the fuel charge, improved fuel economy, engine power, throttle response and reduced toxic emissions. Star Tron removes carbon deposits, keeping engines clean and operating at peak performance.
Star Tron®’s unique enzyme formula has been tested in laboratories around the world. In tests conducted by a marine engineering school, a Detroit Diesel engine powered by Star Tron®-treated fuel demonstrated significant gains in power and fuel economy. In an extensive gasoline engine test at a Pennsylvania school of technology, deadly carbon monoxide was reduced an average of 80%, with some engines showing reductions of carbon monoxide and toxic hydrocarbons of up to 90%. Diesel soot is now classified as a carcinogen and a toxic air contaminant. Star Tron®-treated diesel fuel can reduce soot dramatically; an Ohio State air pollution test demonstrated an 80% reduction in visible soot within 24 hours.
Cleaning Injectors, The Fuel Delivery System And Combustion Chambers Of Carbon Deposits
When more of the fuel charge is burned there is a dramatic drop in the formation of performance-robbing carbon deposits. After several hours of high-throttle operation, Star Tron® treated fuel begins to soften combustion chamber carbon deposits; the concussive force of the engine will then start to erode away these carbon deposits from piston crowns and exhaust valves. A power plant in Alaska using Star Tron®-treated fuel recorded the removal of 1 to 2 millimeters of hardened carbon deposits in a Wartsila 2.2-megawatt diesel engine within just three weeks of operation. Best of all, Star Tron® does not contain any harmful chemical strippers or solvents found in some chemical additives that could contaminate your engine’s oil or break off large pieces of carbon that might stick in a compression ring. The enzymes in Star Tron® are naturally powerful surface-active agents, removing deposits from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injectors, valves, pistons and spark plugs. Once Star Tron® removes the carbon deposits and prevents future deposits from forming, knocking and pinging (pre-detonation) are eliminated. Engines develop full power while running smoother and quieter. An added benefit of a deposit-free combustion chamber is that fuel burns at a properly controlled rate, helping to greatly boost fuel economy. Star Tron® accomplishes these cleaning tasks quickly and at one of the lowest costs per gallon of any fuel additive on the market.
Microbial Growth In Diesel Fuel
When diesel fuel sits in a tank with excessive air space, the daily temperature changes produce condensation (water formation) on tank walls. This water falls into the fuel where it sinks to the bottom, providing a breeding ground for the bacteria, mold, yeast and fungi known as “diesel algae.” These ever-present spores thrive in warmer climates, living in the water layer and feeding on the hydrocarbon fuel. If left untreated, these can form large colonies that can ruin fuel, causing massive clogs in fuel filters, fuel lines, and can damage fuel injectors.
The most common treatment for this problem up until now has been the use of a biocide to kill existing growth and prevent a future infestation. However, the use of a biocide can cause other problems. Once the growth is killed, the resulting biomass settles to the tank bottom where it decays, forming organic acids. The acids then deteriorate the fuel and cause corrosion of the tank walls, injectors and fuel delivery system. Additionally, biocides can be harmful to all those who handle them or come in contact with treated fuel and they can cause environmental damage if spilled.
Star Tron®’s enzyme formula reduces interfacial surface tension between fuel and water. The molecular cluster size is greatly reduced, allowing more water to be dispersed throughout the fuel. These sub-micron sized droplets are safely eliminated as the engine operates. Star Tron® keeps your fuel tank clean and allows the fuel filtration system to function more efficiently, protecting your engine. Star Tron® does not contain any corrosive chemical cleaners that could damage fuel systems or engines.
Stabilizing Fuel Chemistry
Diesel fuel and gasoline are not formulated to be stored for more than 90 days. After this period of time they begin to oxidize, forming sludge, varnish, gum and other harmful deposits. The ability of the fuel to burn properly is diminished as its chemical components start to break down. Star Tron® uses its enzyme technology to maintain fuel quality and slow the deterioration of fuel components. Gasoline or Diesel fuel treated with Star Tron® has a shelf life in excess of two years.
Once hydrocarbon fuels deteriorate, the process of cleaning and rejuvenating them is extremely expensive. Enzymes contained in Star Tron® can in fact “repair” old and fouled diesel fuel and eliminate sludge, varnish and water. The performance of old or otherwise sub-standard gasoline may also be greatly enhanced through improved combustion characteristics and the removal of gums and varnish. Star Tron can improve octane in old, sub-standard or non-spec gasoline.
Preventing gum and varnish buildup is critical for good gasoline performance. This is especially important in E-10 fuel, where the introduction of ethanol into the fuel delivery system may cause old gums and varnish to break off tank walls and contaminate the fuel. Star Tron® can dissolve gum and varnish back into E-10 gasoline.
Treating Water In Fuel
As mentioned before, water can end up in your gas or diesel as a result of condensation in the tank. Excessive water in fuel causes wear on moving parts in fuel pumps and can damage fuel injectors. Additionally, water supports the growth of fungi, mold and yeast in fuel. Dead biomass accumulates on the tank bottom with the water and decays into mildly acidic solutions. This clogs filters and causes poor engine performance. Star Tron®’s naturally-occurring enzymes reduce interfacial surface tension between fuel and water. The molecular cluster size is greatly reduced, allowing more water to be dispersed throughout the fuel. These sub-micron sized droplets are safely eliminated as the engine operates. With routine use of Star Tron®-treated fuel, water is eliminated from the fuel tank, preventing corrosion. Laboratory studies show that Star Tron® can reduce the amount of water in petroleum-based fuels without using alcohol or emulsifiers which can harm rubber fuel lines and engine components and can take fuel out of ASTM specifications.
E-10 Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
Ethanol-enhanced gas, referred to as E-10, is now available in most markets. Ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol, is a high-octane fuel additive. Compared to 100% gasoline, E-10 provides less power and causes a decrease in fuel efficiency. This is because ethanol produces less energy than gasoline; it simply cannot deliver the same performance of 100% gasoline. This also explains why a decrease in fuel economy is not uncommon when switching to E-10 fuel. However, Star Tron® solves both issues. The enzymes allow for a more complete burn of the fuel – both the gas and the ethanol - resulting in maximum performance. A more complete burn of the fuel also means less wasted fuel either in the form of carbon deposits or emissions, so fuel efficiency is also maximized.
In addition to a loss of power and economy, E-10 can cause other problems. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it will attract water from the air, which is absorbed into the gas. The water bonds to the ethanol, becoming heavier than gas and the mixture sinks, lowering the octane level and causing performance problems. This is Phase Separation. Cold temperatures will accelerate this separation. Ethanol is also a potent solvent that will loosen old gum and varnish deposits, which can darken the fuel and foul filters and fuel injectors with large particles. The mixture of ethanol, water and particles can form a gelatinous sludge layer on the tank bottom that can block filters and damage your engine. During operation, Star Tron’s® powerful enzymes allow water to be dispersed throughout the fuel as sub-micron sized droplets that are safely eliminated as the engine operates. They also slowly break down the sludge, cleaning out your fuel tank while restoring the gas’ combustion characteristics to insure proper and safe engine operation.
Important Notes
During the initial treatment, sludge and other deposits that are dispersed may cause plugging or loading of fuel filters. Check fuel filters at the first sign of diminished performance and carry extra filters for convenient replacement. Once your system is clean, your filters will last longer and smoke and soot will be drastically reduced.
Star Tron® Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Tank Cleaner
If a fuel tank has extremely heavy sludge and related deposits, use Star Tron® Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Tank Cleaner before starting on a regular Star Tron® treatment program. This product will safely clean fuel tank walls while rejuvenating old fuel that may be in the tank. Star Tron® Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Tank Cleaner is available in 64 fl. oz. and 1 gallon sizes.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
PeteH

Re: Gas additive to neutralize effects of etholnol

Post by PeteH »

theflash784 wrote:Question- would you need that if you use premium gas? I always use 93 in my Buddy 125.
Premium, at least in my state, still has 10% ethanol. So if you'd use it for regular, you'd use it for premium as well.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

What about ethanol-free gas? Does it still help?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Ethan Allison wrote:What about ethanol-free gas? Does it still help?
Where would one find that?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We've got it all over Oklahoma. But when I travel out of state I usually have to use gas with ethanol added. I'm not sure what good this would do if you can get ethanol-free gas. Thoughts?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

pugbuddy wrote:We've got it all over Oklahoma. But when I travel out of state I usually have to use gas with ethanol added. I'm not sure what good this would do if you can get ethanol-free gas. Thoughts?
If I send you a 55 gallon drum, could you fill it up for me and send it back? :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BuddyRaton wrote:Seafoam rocks
They make it in rock form now? That sounds a lot handier than worrying about a spill. I bet it works like Alka-Seltzer, doesn't it?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

babblefish wrote:
Most gas stations I've been at have premium (sometimes medium) without ethanol and <E10> or <ETHANOL FREE> stickers on the pumps. Maybe it's a state law to put the stickers on and/or carry non-blended gas.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Ethan Allison wrote:
babblefish wrote:
Most gas stations I've been at have premium (sometimes medium) without ethanol and <E10> or <ETHANOL FREE> stickers on the pumps. Maybe it's a state law to put the stickers on and/or carry non-blended gas.
Well, not around here. All grades of gas has Ethanol in it. Wreaks havoc with older cars and their seals.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

pugbuddy wrote:We've got it all over Oklahoma. But when I travel out of state I usually have to use gas with ethanol added. I'm not sure what good this would do if you can get ethanol-free gas. Thoughts?
The worst part about Ethanol "enriched" gas is water. Sucks it out of the air like a sponge. If you have constant problems with exhaust parts replacement, its because of ethanol gas, fuel line hoses rotting out on you, ethanol gas, gas filter clogging up and needs replacing before its time, ethanol gas.
If you have ethanol free gas stick with it, your scoot and /or car will love you for it.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
squasher5

Post by squasher5 »

I bought some Sea-Foam today for the first time.

We have two scoots....a 2009 Buddy 50 and a Kymco People 50, 2004. Both run very well....but recently they have been hard to start and also sluggish on the big hills we have here in NM.

So today I put 1/2 oz into each scooter tank....they were about half full. My wife and I went off riding together.....and I mentioned to her that we might not see any difference on today's ride.....maybe on a second tank.

That is not what happened.....within 5 minutes of running each scooter......they became much smoother and also ran up the big hills at a much higher speed. This almost seemed miraculous to happen in such a short time.

I will not be without either Sea-Foam or Star-Tron again.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

babblefish wrote:
http://pure-gas.org/

A publicly maintained site which lists gas stations by state that carry non-ethanol fuel.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

agrogod wrote:
The worst part about Ethanol "enriched" gas is water. Sucks it out of the air like a sponge. If you have constant problems with exhaust parts replacement, its because of ethanol gas, fuel line hoses rotting out on you, ethanol gas, gas filter clogging up and needs replacing before its time, ethanol gas.
If you have ethanol free gas stick with it, your scoot and /or car will love you for it.
It also does not get along well with the seals on 2T motors. It tends to eat them up!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pampa9

Star-Tron

Post by pampa9 »

I picked up a bottle of Star-Tron additive this morning at our local Home Depot. It was on sale for $2.99. The bottles were covered in dust and only one bottle had been removed from the display box, so apparently no one has been purchasing this product. I put 1/2 oz. in my Italia and then filled the tank. The scooter has only 145 miles on it so I'm not sure that I noticed anything dramatic (maybe a touch smoother idle after a 5 mile ride). However, I also added 1/2oz to the tank of my 6.5hp Chinese generator, then started it. For the last year or so, the engine has hunted severely until completely warmed up (even then it hunts up-and-down). This time, almost immediately, the engine settled into a steady run......wow!

Fred
Back on 2 wheels
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I just started using Star-Tron about a month ago on the recommendation of a co-worker who's a mechanical genius with cars, boats, bikes, etc. I haven't noticed any real difference, but I'm using it more for the stabilizing and anti-ethanol properties than anything performance-related.

One thing I did notice, however, is that it does not seem to have the heavy petroleum-based smell of most other additives and treatments.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I was gonna use Star-Tron, but the weather's been nice on the weekends that I used all the gas in the tanks & cans, so I bought some Lucas Ethanol treatment to try (says it stabilizes as well as counteracts ethanol side effects); I've used Seafoam in my gas all summer/fall to keep the internals clean, but ran out recently...gotta get some more

summary: seafoam to clean and lucas ethanol treatment to stabilize & treat ethanol side effects!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote: http://pure-gas.org

A publicly maintained site which lists gas stations by state that carry non-ethanol fuel.

^^^ Sadly NONE in MD. except on the eastern shore for the boats :(

This alcohol based fuel is hell on small engines and my dirt bikes. I have taken to keeping star-tron in everything now except the cars.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

None anywhere near me, either. Seems to be some everywhere else in the state tho -_-
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

LunaP wrote:We use Star Tron. I was basically told to never NOT use an ethanol-combatting additive.
I wonder, is this true for fuel-injected engines too?

One of the reason I've been skewing towards fuel-injected engines that are greater than 200cc is because, as I understand, they are not ethanol sensitive. But I could be wrong, and if I am, then so much for that "advantage"!
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

viney266 wrote:^^^ Sadly NONE in MD. except on the eastern shore for the boats :(
LunaP wrote:None anywhere near me, either. Seems to be some everywhere else in the state tho -_-
Keep in mind that just because there aren't any listed near you that doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means you'll have to work harder to (hopefully) find them. Ask around. Usually small engine repair shops (lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc) know where it's available. And of course motorcycle, scooter, all-terrain vehicle & snowmobile shops. Any shop that works on small carbureted engines, regardless of what the engine is running, will usually know if there is any available in your area.

And if you do find some be sure and add it to the site!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow1 wrote:
LunaP wrote:We use Star Tron. I was basically told to never NOT use an ethanol-combatting additive.
I wonder, is this true for fuel-injected engines too?

One of the reason I've been skewing towards fuel-injected engines that are greater than 200cc is because, as I understand, they are not ethanol sensitive. But I could be wrong, and if I am, then so much for that "advantage"!
I trust my dealer very much on that judgement. She did admittedly say that the benefits of using and ethanol combatant in a fuel injected engine would be less drastic than using it in a non-FI, but they would be there. I've used it religiously, and have fantastic gas mileage. I'm not about to stop using it.

From what I can tell, the main problem with ethanol is that when left sitting it attracts moisture and adds water to the gas. Admittedly, at the rate which my scooter racks up miles, (excluding these days in which I have a broken hand), my scoot isn't really ever left sitting with gas in it. Additionally, I work at the gas station I fuel up at more than half the time- so I know for a fact that our gas is fresh and hasn't been sitting down below in the tanks forever. When I don't fuel up at my station, I make sure I fuel up at a BP, Exxon, or Shell (with the engine cleaning stuff in the gas) that gets a lot of traffic also.

Were I to be traveling out of my normal commute and have to stop at a little place where I could not be sure of this, I'd DEFINITELY want to use it.

However, you said you've been looking at engines greater than 200cc. I have a 170. It's my understanding that the smaller the engine, the more sensitive it is to impurities of any kind, not just ethanol.

Somebody with more knowledge throw in 2cents, but maybe what you've read/researched is implying that to you not just because of the fuel injection, but because the engine has a bigger displacement?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The closest station to me for ethanol free is 257 miles away. By the time I get home from filling-up there (in my car), I'd have to fill-up at a local ethanol station and drive another 257 miles to refill again. Seems like an endless cycle to me. :( Guess I'll try some Star-tron.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

LunaP, it's not the displacement so much but jets vs. injectors. A FI system runs at a ridiculously high pressure compared to jets in a carb, so it would take a solid piece of debris getting past your fuel filter to block up an injector. Ethanol Goo and other Gas Funk get blasted through.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

PeteH wrote:LunaP, it's not the displacement so much but jets vs. injectors. A FI system runs at a ridiculously high pressure compared to jets in a carb, so it would take a solid piece of debris getting past your fuel filter to block up an injector. Ethanol Goo and other Gas Funk get blasted through.
Maybe I should do an experiment, and do the opposite of everybody else and STOP using it for a week or two, once I start riding again, and see if my mileage goes down. :) Then I will know for sure if I am getting some kind of slight mystery benefit from it.
Phil P

Post by Phil P »

Right on, Do it.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

plus the metals in some newer things are better. Such as hard anodized aluminum bits and stainless steel fuel parts etc. The alcohol really seems to attack brass and soft aluminum, and also older rubber parts.

So far I have only used star-tron for storage...I have been told it can revitalize old fuel, but I am interested about an increase in milage as well...
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I've also heard that ethanol can degrade non-metallic fuel tanks over time. I think that this is especially true with boats. Interestingly enough, I purchased mine at a local West Marine store, so there may be some truth to that.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

LunaP, thanks for the informative post. I'd do a quote and reply but right now the website is having issues with using the "quote" function. Something's awry.

Anyhow, I've been doing some quick search on the web about ethanol gas. And yes, the corrosive effects seem to come primarily from it absorbing moisture from the air. And also, if the filter for the fuel isn't good enough. However, it seems that ethanol burns cleaner than just pure gasoline.
CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

I use it and Stabils version in carb engines routinely. The ethanol attracts water and gunk and clogs the jets. It also breaks down the plastic carb floats to where they effectively become sponges and will not close.

Fuel injected engines do not suffer from the effects of ethanol since the high pressure of the fuel forces gunk and gum through the lines.

This product does not effect non ethanol gas.

In the case of all engines, carb or FI I regularly use a good fuel system cleaner. I use Seafoam (carb) or BG44K (FI).

I hope this helps.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

@Teabow: I'm glad it isn't just me that's getting the error message!

@CEZ + everybody: I understand about the fuel lines, but wouldn't it also help my fuel burn more cleanly by removing the extra moisture?