FALL Is Falling!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

izark47

FALL Is Falling!!!

Post by izark47 »

Just quick reminder to all my friends. Please be very careful when traversing wet leaves. They can equally as slippery as ice.
Born to be Mild!!!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

+1

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are traditionally 2 "crash seasons" for scooterists: At the beginning of the summer and then in the fall. The first is because of all those people dusting off their scoots and taking to the roads for the first time in months. The second is often due to riders trying to eke as much out of their riding season as possible and ending up in rain, on ice, etc.

Be careful out there!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

The only time I've gone down was slipping on wet leaves as I rounded a corner.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I"ve had gravel catch me out in the spring ,too...But yes! Be safe out there.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Black Walnuts and acorns falling from the trees can be quite painful as well......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Sorry, but could you clarify for us Arizona riders?

What are "leaves"?
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TVB

Post by TVB »

It's when someone goes away. :)
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Not only is my street now covered with leaves from trees that shed early in the season, but my driveway is directly underneath a towering oak. At this time of year I have to constantly sweep the acorns and leaves from the driveway. Needless to say it's slow negotiating on the hazards.

The oak tree is tall enough that falling acorns (and those that I swear are thrown by squirrels for target practice) will put dents in the sheet metal of autos if they are parked underneath.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

TVB wrote:It's when someone goes away. :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-Rze0XkDUqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Fall is definitely here in Tucson. When I rode home from work last night, around 10:30pm, the temp had dropped to under 80 degrees. Brrrrr!

I'm not what these :leaves" are to which you refer, though.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:What are "leaves"?
Howardr wrote:I'm not what these :leaves" are to which you refer, though.
I was wondering the same thing, guys, but TVB cleared it up:
TVB wrote:It's when someone goes away. :lol:
I'm still not sure, but I think they're those things you find at the bookstore.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Raining tonight on my way home from work, roads covered with leaves, s_l_i_p_e_r_y.......
Came down over a small rise, what do I see? No leaves on a small patch of road, slowed down instinctively, glad I did!! As I went through, WATER was where my feet were!!! OMFG........ :whew:
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Nice instincts!... :wink:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

viney266 wrote:^^^ Nice instincts!... :wink:
Thanks, actually 'Simon' handled pretty well in 10 inches of water........ :shock: :shock:
Nullius in verba
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Syd wrote:I'm still not sure, but I think they're those things you find at the bookstore.
You buy books???
ModBud #442
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

HowHH wrote:The oak tree is tall enough that falling acorns (and those that I swear are thrown by squirrels for target practice)...
:rofl:
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

Syd

Post by Syd »

polianarchy wrote:
Syd wrote:I'm still not sure, but I think they're those things you find at the bookstore.
You buy books???
Ha! Touché.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Squirrels here carry grudges. The ones on the parkway will steal your lighters. (Ask around, people will verify.) :)
I've seen them take aim with acorns. :shock:

My latest near-accident wasn't on the bike, but from slipping on acorns on the way TO the bike. Bumper-crops...might as well have a load of marbles dumped on the ground!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:Squirrels here carry grudges. The ones on the parkway will steal your lighters.
That explains this.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

polianarchy wrote:
You buy books???
Yes. It's oddly comforting to know that the least vestiges of western civilization don't just disappear when you close the refrigerator door. :wink:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Cheshire wrote:Squirrels here carry grudges. The ones on the parkway will steal your lighters. (Ask around, people will verify.) :)
I had a friend visit from Luxembourg this past spring. He asked me if the squirrels were nice, if we ever fed them.

I laughed. Hard.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:Black Walnuts and acorns falling from the trees can be quite painful as well......
.....and bats :wink:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

LunaP wrote:
Cheshire wrote:Squirrels here carry grudges. The ones on the parkway will steal your lighters. (Ask around, people will verify.) :)
I had a friend visit from Luxembourg this past spring. He asked me if the squirrels were nice, if we ever fed them.

I laughed. Hard.
:rofl: Funny story about why I have a cat.
I used to carry on a tradition from my mom and grandmother of keeping a bird feeder, especially in winter. As the first spring at my home came around, I noticed more and more squirrels in the yard each morning as I left for work. One day, in early summer, I had a Hitchcock moment: I opened the door and was met by over a dozen squirrels watching me intently...from the porch. Umm. (I snuck out the other door that day.) I got Cinderella (my cat of now 11 years) later that week, and thus began the Great Squirrel Wars of 2000. They called a truce that is still honored today: the squirrels stay in the yard and leave me and mine alone; the cat doesn't try to eat them.
No, really. I've watched Cinder pass up squirrels within half the range that would mean certain death for a chipmunk. She'll turn her head and fixedly stare away from them. The truce was before the rottie's time...and they've walked right up to the storm door she's going crazy behind and just stare at her for a while before strolling back to the tree.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Cheshire wrote:
LunaP wrote:

I laughed. Hard.
:rofl: Funny story about why I have a cat.
I used to carry on a tradition from my mom and grandmother of keeping a bird feeder, especially in winter. As the first spring at my home came around, I noticed more and more squirrels in the yard each morning as I left for work. One day, in early summer, I had a Hitchcock moment: I opened the door and was met by over a dozen squirrels watching me intently...from the porch. Umm. (I snuck out the other door that day.) I got Cinderella (my cat of now 11 years) later that week, and thus began the Great Squirrel Wars of 2000. They called a truce that is still honored today: the squirrels stay in the yard and leave me and mine alone; the cat doesn't try to eat them.
No, really. I've watched Cinder pass up squirrels within half the range that would mean certain death for a chipmunk. She'll turn her head and fixedly stare away from them. The truce was before the rottie's time...and they've walked right up to the storm door she's going crazy behind and just stare at her for a while before strolling back to the tree.
My Mom has squirrel 'issues' at her house, over the years they've destroyed countless bird feeders (even metal ones) dug up her bulbs as fast as they can be planted, and eaten just about every tomato that the mailman doesn't swipe, being a retired Phys Ed teacher she keeps a basket of golf balls just inside the front door, at 87 years young she can still pick them off at 20 yards!
Only problem has become is disposing of the corpses!!
Nullius in verba
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

YEAH....... NO!
Mom won't do that, a 'city girl' her whole life, I've suggested it, NOPE , nothing doing......
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I thought when you said 'give squirrel a whirl', you were talking about this bird feeder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEW9TG6Dcgg

I've got several Droll Yankee feeders, but now that we pretty much only feed finches, I'm using SquirrelBuster finch feeders, which work great.

Oh, and I've got an ancient Crosman BB pistol in the cabinet by the back door to discourage the dadgum woodpeckers who can reach the finch seed. Old school BBs - none of this Airsoft namby-pamby. :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!