Another 'Buddy v ...' - This time: the Bajaj

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

f.duane

Another 'Buddy v ...' - This time: the Bajaj

Post by f.duane »

Hey everyone,
after hanging out on the forum for a while and sucking on you guys' combined wisdom, I am now becoming an active poster.
I don't have a scooter yet, but I am very much flirting with a Buddy. I'd like to have some input on how the Buddy compares to the Bajaj though. Maybe Keys could give us some input on this?
Thanks bunches...

f.duane
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

This is pretty much where I am, too. First I really wanted a vintage scoot, but I wouldn't feel good about the 2-stroke aspect (and the dodgy reliability).

They both seem to be competent scooters, so it pretty much boils down to a few decisive differences:

1. Do you want to shift?
2. Do you want modern or "classic" styling?
3. How much storage do you need?

I reach a difference conclusion about every five minutes :mrgreen:

Another advantage of the Bajaj is that they can be picked up used, whereas for the Buddy you will pretty much pay what the dealer asks.

Sadly I am doing a bunch of travel the next couple of weeks, but then I plan to take a day off and visit all the scooter shops I can find (hopefully some will let me take test rides, too!).
gmon

Post by gmon »

I have a buddy and have rode the bajaj. If you have the cravings for wheelies, get the bajaj. I chose the buddy because if I wanted to shift I would get on my motorcycle. To me the scooter should be as relaxing as possibe. Also on these scooters I would guess the shifting scooter would have more parts wich would have more of a chance to break. Also if you practice , you can wheelie on a buddy.
just admit it , its fun
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

one of the dealers who introduced me to the buddies, when I wasn't considering it, pop a wheelie on the sidewalk of NYC. I was really impressed! May be it helped me decide on the buddy.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'd be glad to help you out in your decision making process. My Bajaj is an '02 model, known for NOT having the bugs worked out. Anything newer than '02 is just fine. The Bajaj is quite a bit larger, physically, making it a very comfortable scooter to ride. I've put upwards of 3 hours in at a time. The top speed "out-of-the-box" is just about 55 mph. You will also average about 100 mpg. The Buddy accelerates faster, the Bajaj climbs hills probably better than any other 150cc. Amazing torque. The Buddy has a higher top speed, the Bajaj will cruise all day at 45-50 with no complaints. The shifting helps climbing ability but the automatic helps in city commuting. The Bajaj has about 30 pounds on the Buddy. The steel body is good if you get it dented...they just bang out. On the Buddy, the plastic would have to be replaced.

One thing to consider is the Bajaj is no longer in production and the factory is only obligated to produce parts for five years.

I am actually planning to trade my Bajaj in on a Buddy, not because I don't like it...the Bajaj is the best scooter I've ever owned. But mine is an '02 and I've already had it in 4 times in the last year for warranty work for such things as a total engine rebuild (a bearing failed), the flywheel came apart and the voltage regulator failed. Now, again, these were '02 issues only. However, my warranty expires this month and if anything else happens, I'm SOL.

A am impressed with the Genuine Scooters dealer network and with the backing they have given the Stella. Pricing is right, speed is right, mileage is right and there are probably more dealers. Also, parts will be available for a longer period of time since scooters have not become passe in Taiwan as they have in India, where the Bajaj was manufactured.

I would not hesitate to recommend either scooter, but as you can see, I'm moving to the Buddy.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ellen

Post by ellen »

gmon wrote: Also if you practice , you can wheelie on a buddy.
The first time I rode my Stella I popped a wheelie!
Though I didn't mean too :roll:
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

vitaminC wrote:This is pretty much where I am, too. First I really wanted a vintage scoot, but I wouldn't feel good about the 2-stroke aspect (and the dodgy reliability).
The thing about "vintage" anything is that you need a pile of surplus cash if/when something goes wrong. And things Will go wrong; it's old.

Two strokes have fewer moving parts so reliability might actually be better.
But then there is the stink, all over you and anyone behind.
Friends used to tell me they'd get headaches following my Spanish 2 stroke trail bike, eventhough I spent a fortune on synthetic oil to reduce the smoking.

And then there is the added pollution in the air.
Many will argue against that, but having had more than one 2 stroke in my life there is no doubt in my mind about it.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Beamie wrote: The thing about "vintage" anything is that you need a pile of surplus cash if/when something goes wrong. And things Will go wrong; it's old.
True, but the Bajaj is psuedo-vintage! :P
Beamie wrote: And then there is the added pollution in the air.
Many will argue against that, but having had more than one 2 stroke in my life there is no doubt in my mind about it.
Yeah, the pollution is my main concern. Combusting oil directly is never good for air quality.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

VitC, depending on what state you're in, don't forget you may need a permit to ride the bigger bikes (150cc). In MN we need a moto license for anything over 50cc. I had to get my permit to test ride the Buddy 125.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

MrNatural wrote:VitC, depending on what state you're in, don't forget you may need a permit to ride the bigger bikes (150cc). In MN we need a moto license for anything over 50cc. I had to get my permit to test ride the Buddy 125.
True. I don't know the regs here in Cali, but I've got a motorcycle endorsement so I am good to go! 8)

Actually, I just sold my bike to make room for the scooter- just don't tell my m-cycle riding friends! :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I don't want to complicate your choice, but, for absolute certain, the Bajaj Chetak is a 4-stroke not a 2-stroke. I just didn't want you to base your decision on a misunderstanding.

The only other info I can add to what Keys and the others have given you is that there is a performance exhaust available from POC for the Bajaj. It's loud. Don't buy Vesion 1 of the pipe, it's loud enough to wake your neighbors. Version 2 is a little easier on the ears and still makes power.

There's a place in the world for the Chetak and the Buddy. At this point in my life, if I were choosing between the two, I would pick the Buddy because of its modern design and the fact that I expect Genuine to sell and support the Buddy for some time to come. Bajaj, on the other hand, has ceased production of Chetaks and all the ones being sold here are being sold from stock until they are gone.

Whichever one you buy, please come back and tell us about your experiences.

P.S. Wheelies are fun to joke about, but every time I meet a scooterist on crutches... well, you know the rest of the story. :wink:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

jrsjr wrote:I don't want to complicate your choice, but, for absolute certain, the Bajaj Chetak is a 4-stroke not a 2-stroke. I just didn't want you to base your decision on a misunderstanding.
It's a bit hazy in my memory now, but I did test ride a Bajaj Chetak about a year ago. I mostly enjoyed it, except that the brakes were very poorly adjusted, so stopping was "interesting." :shock:

I also rode some version of a Bet & Win, which I didn't particularly care for, as it felt pretty weak performance wise, plus I didn't (and still don't) care for the styling. I need to be sure to reset my internal "performance meter" from motorcycle to scooter mode when I go sampling them next, otherwise I'm sure they'll all seem slow!