mpg question for you

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

yeauxkneauxit

mpg question for you

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

I know its a common topic. Can someone confirm for me that you have a mpg avg in the lower 70's?

When I bought, I was used to mid upper 80's lower 90's for mpgs. I'm a little interested. I went from stock tire to zippy back- but that wasn't but a couple of weeks ago- my avgs have been declining over the past year. Riding style hasn't changed much.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My mileage, on a Bud 150 (stock), all city, windshield, and a 230lb Old Fat Guy behind the 'bars, is about 77 bmpg. I shouldn't, but I tend to crank it up off the line then throw out the anchor when approaching the next stop sign. Bad, bad, bad. Of course, St. Louis has more 4-way stops than anyplace else in the US, so I'm sure I'm eating brakes as well. Actually, I did pick up a few more MPG over the last couple weeks when I started riding a tad less 'aggressively'.

Best tank was 95.4 bmpg on a long day on 50-55mph roads with very few stops.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

hmm. i'm 204 maybe a few hills- not really, but sounds exactly like your riding style but i'm getting less with a 125. I'll have to continue thinking about this.

I am using gas cubby. It could be something with the iphone app also. I don't want to rule that out. I could try another as well.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

yeauxkneauxit wrote: but sounds exactly like your riding style but i'm getting less with a 125.
I'd say PeteH hit the nail on the head. Small, lightweight vehicles like the Buddy are very sensitive to riding style. If you ride agressively with considerable hard acceleration and braking - your mpg will suffer Test it. Ride differently for a tank and see what happens.
TVB

Post by TVB »

My mileage declined over time after getting my scooter. It picked up again after getting the engine cleaned and a new sparkplug.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Blackjack 150. 140 pound rider.
I ride it hard, full-throttle out from green lights.
Around 1000 miles, so not fully broken in yet.

According to Fuelly, right now I am averaging 67.4
Highest 73.5
Lowest 63.6

I knew going in, that if I drove it the way I wanted to drive it, my MPG would suffer in the long run, that it wouldn't be broken in as good as it could, so I would never get to the 80-90mpg. I was willing to accept that, to not have to ride it like a grandma for the first entire riding season. :)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Interesting numbers and lower than I would expect. My 125 routinely gets a touch above 80 mpg in mostly aggressive riding. My 250 GTS is averaging between 71 and 75 mpg in somewhat less aggressive riding.

I weigh about 150 geared up.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I'm also about 150 with gear. I'm getting about 85 mpg, with about 500 miles on the engine. I think I am considerably less aggressive than some of the riders here -- I don't think I've had it over 45 bph -- but I do have a couple of big hills that I have to hit going and coming.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

certainly many factors to consider, environment, temps, etc on avg so I understand having a specific answer is tough. The reported from Genuine is as follows:

MPG 90 mpg plus (125cc)*
*Depending on road conditions, riders weight and altitude

If I can wake up earlier than I do already and easily drive to work and back for a tank...I would be curious to see what the difference will be. I'll post up later my findings.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's not uncommon for riders to average in the 90s on a Buddy 125.

yeauxkneauxit, how old is your scoot and how many miles on the odometer? What kind of maintenance schedule do you follow?

There are many variables affecting MPGs on small scooters (even the 150s!) like this, including riding style, rider size & weight, tire pressure, weather. If you suffer a decline in MPGs, especially after the first 1500 miles or so, then you need to think about what may have changed. It could be the scooter. It could be you, or changes in your routes and/or how and when you ride. It's probably a combination of many things.

But the top thing to do is maintenance! Tire pressure, good tread on the tires, oil changes, valve checks and transmission checks according to the proper schedule.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

I ride mine fairly hard from lights but then usually around 40-45mph. I'm about 190lbs. It's a Pamplona 150. Uaually gets around 80-85mpg. Just turned over 1k miles.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I was getting in the 80's for all of June but lately my average is closer to 77-78.
I weigh about 177 and ride pretty hard and fast.

Granted, that's a 150cc with nearly 23K miles on it, Prima pipe, racing CDI/coil and riding WOT quite a bit.

I do keep my tires inflated to 30 psi. Have you checked your tire pressure?

*Edit: I just checked and it looks like I haven't had a valve adjustment since about 13K miles. That could potentially help.
Last edited by Tocsik on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

2007 Buddy, 125cc, 8,700 miles on the odometer... I'm right about 203lbs without gear... or clothing... I go about 120 miles per tank... actually 120 miles between fillups.
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

125 here, rarely under 90 mpg. It does happen but mainly WOT rides into an okie wind. 105.3 is my best but many many over 100mpg. 5'7' here about 180 and a windscreen. 5600 miles on scoot. It didnt get really good mileage until well after the first 1000 miles.

You can see everything by clicking the fuelly button below. I also use gas cubby on my iphone and its spot on with fuelly.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I have a 125 and I consistently get around 100 mpg.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

"There are 321 Genuine bikes from 11 different models with reported gas mileage parked at Fuelly."

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/genuine

I think checking it out at Fuelly gets you a pretty good estimate of what the normal range people are seeing. There's enough scoots there to average out differences in mods/riding styles/conditions, etc.

Interesting to me how the distribution from the 125 vs 150 differ a little in spread.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/genuine/buddy%20125

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/genuine/buddy%20150

(I just started looking into fuelly so I'm a bit excited about the idea of it)
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Dr. Rock wrote:I also use gas cubby on my iphone and its spot on with fuelly.
Why wouldn't it? Basic arithmetic is basic arithmetic. :roll:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

Silver Streak wrote:Why wouldn't it? Basic arithmetic is basic arithmetic.
Because he said,
yeauxkneauxit wrote:I am using gas cubby. It could be something with the iphone app also. I don't want to rule that out. I could try another as well.
Just affirming it works correctly between my Fuelly and Gas Cubby. That's why.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Dr. Rock wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:Why wouldn't it? Basic arithmetic is basic arithmetic.
Because he said,
yeauxkneauxit wrote:I am using gas cubby. It could be something with the iphone app also. I don't want to rule that out. I could try another as well.
Just affirming it works correctly between my Fuelly and Gas Cubby. That's why.
You missed the point of my sarcasm. Why on earth would anybody be so technology addicted that they're utterly dependent on a cellphone app to do butt-simple arithmetic like division?

Exercise your brain instead of your fingers for a change.

There's a nap for that. :yawn:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

2008 125 current 5800 miles. On time oil changes. Back Tire just replaced, but try and keep them to 30 psi- new zippys i'll have to check on that though, just got them installed 3 weeks ago.

Valve checks and transmission- it appears that my local dealer either doesn't require or isn't interested in suggesting a need until way later. I've asked what items I need to focus on and get them to do. I'm sort of one of those people that since you are going to have my scooter and I will not for x number of days- get the most done at once so I can have little down time. I'm met with, its way to early to do all of that until xxxx miles. So outside of the routine oil changes- since the dealer says don't worry- I'm sort of left with the dependence on they are the professionals.