Skatepark scooter video

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

Skatepark scooter video

Post by xTomBx »

This came up in my RSS feed today, thought I should share...
http://vimeo.com/29921423
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

It's not a Vespa.

And he's a jerk for doing this while others are trying to use the park for non-motorized vehicles. Like it was intended.

Gives scooterists a bad name.

Not dissing you for sharing. I just think the dude should be banned during "regular" hours.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yeah, he's setting a really great example for all those kids.

A 30-year-old 12-year-old. :roll:

Douche.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

I don't no what got into the previous two posters, but coming from a skateboarder... , thats pretty amazing , and id be willing to give 30 minutes of my time to watch something iv never seen before . you can see people clapping and cheering in the back ground! besides ,thats ballzy , and original , and to get out the with no helmet or jacket even more props , still cracy tho! besides the culture of skateboarding is always to go out and try new things , break the rules and act a little crazy , id be surprised if he didn't skateboard also. Show the guy a little love whos putting his body out there

+1
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

beastmaster wrote:I don't no what got into the previous two posters,
what "got into us" is just expressing our opinions.
Same as you.

Peace out.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Don't some guys do this stuff with motocross bikes?

I agree he's not particularly swift for not even wearing a helmet.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

Southerner wrote:I agree he's not particularly swift for not even wearing a helmet.
He has a helmet on in the end when it's getting dark. He must crash more at night?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

cool vid. looks like fun. agree, kinda a punk move to stop others from being in the park. but pretty cool ride.

and as stated.....it ain't no vespa.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Part of me loves the hooligan nature of this: Skatepark with a scooter? RIGHT ON! But...

-Don't call it a Vespa when it's not. Besides, a Piaggio Typhoon 125 or Zuma 125 I think would've been a better choice (or a Rattler 110 kitted out!). It even breaks down halfway through the video, although they edit it pretty cleanly so you almost miss it.
-The guy sounds and acts like a douchebag. You can clearly see the other kids weren't thrilled with this hipster taking over their skatepark
-No helmet...really? He even takes a passenger on (I mean, he doesn't do much with him on the back but still) and only puts one on later in the day?

It just screams "Look at me!! I'm a 'Filmmaker' being 'urban' ". That irritates the hell out of me.

And, it's not a Vespa.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Not sure about France, but I suspect that if you did that over here you'd just be confirming all the skate park naysayers worst nightmares and making sure they did everything they could to prevent future skate parks from being installed.

Slow dl speed and gotta get to work so I don't know if the coolness factor compensates for that.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I don't understand the complaints.

Look, that's either a Vespa or a moped, alright? And I think I know enough about scooters to say that's no moped.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

So that must mean "vespa" is a generic term, like "derringer" or "kleenex". :)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

neotrotsky wrote:It just screams "Look at me!! I'm a 'Filmmaker' being 'urban' ". That irritates the hell out of me.

And, it's not a Vespa.
^This.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

The responses in this thread highlight certain aspects of this community that could be ... improved.

Before I got old and stiff, I was a skater. We never had a guy on a scooter in one of our skate parks or skate spots, but that would have been cool to see. You can hear the crowd cheering for him, so they are obviously fine with him being there.

As for the helmet ... we all know the stats, but it's his choice. There is a fine line between advocating safety and coming off as judgmental and arrogant. After lurking for two years and making the occasional post, I find that the negative tone of many replies really drives me to find information elsewhere.

Seeing the video, then deciding that he is being a jerk and calling him a douche-bag ... do you think that represents this community in a positive light? Would it encourage or discourage new members from seeking information?
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I guess you're right in the main. If he wants to crack his skull, that's his choice.

But my first sight of the guy in the video, he's flipping off the camera. Can't exactly call that polite.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

translating the comments in the videos, a couple of points:

1) they said that some other dudes already did this in that same bowl with a bike like 15-20 years ago

2) good point: if his scooter happens to leak oil or something while in there, and skater falls and gets hurt because of it - no bueno

i'm all about cool trick stuff with scooters, but if you look at the kids in the bg they don't seem to be too happy / impressed with him. also, there's a couple of parts where he really could have hit someone (including right when he first wheels his scoot in, he cuts off a rollerblader) . . .

again, not to judge harshly - I'M not trying/able to do that shit, and some of it looks pretty cool - but there's a time/place. maybe doing it when it's not crowded and taking care that you're not endangering normal users of the bowl.

</2cents>
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Hwarang wrote:The responses in this thread highlight certain aspects of this community that could be ... improved.

Before I got old and stiff, I was a skater. We never had a guy on a scooter in one of our skate parks or skate spots, but that would have been cool to see. You can hear the crowd cheering for him, so they are obviously fine with him being there.

As for the helmet ... we all know the stats, but it's his choice. There is a fine line between advocating safety and coming off as judgmental and arrogant. After lurking for two years and making the occasional post, I find that the negative tone of many replies really drives me to find information elsewhere.

Seeing the video, then deciding that he is being a jerk and calling him a douche-bag ... do you think that represents this community in a positive light? Would it encourage or discourage new members from seeking information?
With all due respect, I think that you're mixing apples with oranges in this case. I don't see how the commentary in a thread such as this, which is clearly of a "hey, look at this" nature, would discourage someone from exploring other threads in a quest for real "info".

In so far as being judgemental, I think that people have as much right to be judgemental as they do to record themselves noodling around on a scooter in a skate park, without a helmet. I believe that once a person puts themselves on public display, they should be willing to accept the fact that not everyone is going to just fall in line and applaud, or, at the very least, refrain from offering negative opinions. We've got to accept both the kudos and brickbats.

As to the "star" of this video, he's absolutely entitled to do as he wishes, and I'm absolutely entitled to think he's being foolish. And everyone else on this forum is absolutely entitled to voice their opinion of me and my opinions as they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I love it! Can't help it- I'm trying to do the right thing. :wink:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Any chance we can let this one die and just say that we all have our own opinions and maybe we should be careful in how forcefully we express them (I will include myself in that category)?

I think we have more important, enjoyable, fun and constructive things to talk about on here.

Respectfully,
The Striving Peacemaker
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Will the fact that I have "moderator" under my screen name help keep the peace? :D

Please keep it civil, folks. We're all entitled to our opinions, but the fun of Modern Buddy is how politely we share them with each other.
ModBud #442
Tom

Post by Tom »

Does anything here need moderating? I think some on this thread have been passionate, but still respectful. Maybe badmouthing the dude in the video, but that comes with opinions- seems fair game to me.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Wow, I didn't expect to ignite so much drama...

I was undecided about how much I like the video, thats why I made no comment upon posting. I like it in a sense of "oh, he's doing something fun and different"
I didn't like- The lack of helmet, the irresponsibility around kids and all the VESPA references by the poster...

I think discussions like this are good...
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

The bike he's on looks like some kind of PGO, maybe a Hot Naked (seriously).

Also I think that Vespa might be a more general term in French.