Newbie at a rally...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Uncle Groucho

Newbie at a rally...

Post by Uncle Groucho »

So Resurgence III is coming to Atlanta next weekend.

I get the feeling I'd like it, but aside from heavy drinking (which I'm cool with BTW) and scooting, not sure what else there is to do. I'm not always the outgoing type, so I'm not sure if I'd really fit in.

Probably my biggest concern is that a lot of the planned trips feel like I'm going to be caught short on my 50cc. Thinking if I do any of it, it'd be the parts closest to where I live. But that kind of negates the point of attending if I only do a little of it, right?

Any tips, suggestions, or advice?
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

heavy drinking and scootin sounds a little, uhmmm, not safe maybe?
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Yeah, I'm not keen on that aspect, but the sched reads like a pub crawl...

Is the big secret that you walk everywhere?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The last scooter rally I was at had three rides. A vintage ride, a "big" scooter ride, AND a 50cc ride...Not all the bikes were 50's but you rode at a pace for that. We even had a few mopeds on the run :)

Me? I won't drink and ride, but I"ll have 1 beer and after that soda works for me...

See if they are gonna have field events ( scooter games), and other stuff goes on. Thereis often music, or even a bike show contest etc. Depends on how big the rally is

Just go, if you don't like the scene, you can always wander off ;)...
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A lot of rallies have pubs, etc. as stopping points. At most, the drinking isn't out of hand and many don't drink. There's no pressure.

As for what to do, you should find out if any other MB members are going and you'll have a "natural" group to hang out with. :)

I'm pathologically shy and my first couple rallies would go and talk to the three people I knew, ride, then leave at the social events. I was missing out.

If they have games (gymkhana, slow race), a concourse or prizes, those are not to be missed!

They're also raffling a scoot (a Rally 200!).

You can probably inquire if the rides are 50-friendly on their FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=207598829286010

Or their thread on MV:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic84816

Official site: http://atlantarally.com/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I'll check out the FB page; thanks. They block FB at work, but not MB! :wink:

I know the purpose isn't to go get blitzed and teeter around in traffic but for people to get together and have fun. Decatur has a lot of scooters, plus we've got a really good cafe across from the pub, so there will be loads of options. Better caffeinated than inebriated, I guess!

At the worst, maybe I'll scoot in for the breakfast and morning ride on a Saturday and leave the bigger things for another rally once I upgrade.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I've never scooted outside the southwest and mostly so. cal but I've found scooter rallies super friendly. I made a few friends right away and now mostly stick to who I know because I'm mostly shy but the deal is:

you and everyone there has something in common: a love for scooting so if you want to talk scooters, most everyone is amicable :)

The drinking doesn't get too out of hand unless there's a stop for the night. Camping Rallies tend to get nuttier than day rallies or hotel ones (in my experience)

when you get 20 or more scooters then it doesn't move too fast and 50cc isn't a problem but stay in the back because you'll hold people up when it does open up on the rare occasion.

Scooting has changed my life for the better in lots of ways but mostly because I've made more friends scooting than all the years summed since college. Great people, so much fun and a built in activity. PERFECTION!
Last edited by jijifer on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polianarchy

Re: Newbie at a rally...

Post by polianarchy »

Uncle Groucho wrote:But that kind of negates the point of attending if I only do a little of it, right?
Not so for a city rally with multiple meetup spots! In fact, they plan it like that so folks can come and go at will. Go to the first day's events and ask the folks at the registration table about the rides.

If you don't see anyone you know, seek out fellow Buddy & Genuine owners so you'll have common ground. I used to bring my kinda/sorta-fancy camera so I'd have something to do at the rally while I was still getting to know the local scene. Now I don't have time to snap shots any more, I'm too busy catching up with new old friends. :D

Have a great time!
ModBud #442
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

I'll be there! True, the "ride" events are gonna be mostly a no-go for 50ccs . . . but you can always show up for the breakfasts and other meetup things (and probably even participate in the scavenger hunt!).

I'll be at most of the events, look for me - I'm on a black Buddy with speakers built into it, with a Japanese battle flag helmet. 6'0, dreds, can't miss me . . . I'm djing the Saturday night event as well :-)

-adam
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

This is also my first rally, so don't take what I say as gospel re: rides. Definitely post on the Facebook page and I'm sure somebody will reply :-)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Do rallies cost anything to attend? I've never been to one and probably never will cos of the location of my residence. Today I saw another scooter rider. That makes 3 in total that I've seen in the High desert. (sigh) Sometimes I wish I could move back to Hollywood, but the desert has it's good points like a lower cost of living and I'm closer to Vegas...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drum Pro wrote:Do rallies cost anything to attend? I've never been to one and probably never will cos of the location of my residence. Today I saw another scooter rider. That makes 3 in total that I've seen in the High desert. (sigh) Sometimes I wish I could move back to Hollywood, but the desert has it's good points like a lower cost of living and I'm closer to Vegas...
Some have a registration fee, but those usually come with a rally pack (shirt, patch, whatever sponsors toss in) and sometimes a meal, depending on the price. Others have no registration fee.

Most of the rallies around here are at least 2 days, though you can come to whatever you like. Rides of March in San Luis Obispo is a camping rally. (Missed it this year, no scooter!) There are also rallies in South Bay, Orange County, Santa Barbara and a couple in San Diego. People attend from much farther than Victorville!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh definatly go!

Atlanta has a great scooter community. Yeah there is drinking at rallies....but there are always people that aren't into the hard drinking scene too!

The scooter community is probably the most open and accepting community I have experienced...everybody is there to have fun and ride scooters, look at scooters...talk scooters.....you get it.

Lets put it this way...it would not surprise me to overhear at a rally

"So...tou're a recovering alcoholic transvestite with an eating disorder...good for you....what are you riding? Oh by the way...your mascara is running."

There are alot of good scooter heads in Atlanta...Go have fun and give us a report!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

For what it's worth, I'm really excited about my first Rally. It's probably not as big as, well, anything in Atlanta, but it is a city Rally and I know we have people driving in from other cities for it. I'm in a similiar situation- I don't have the money to be drinking a lot so I won't be, but I am still expecting to have a stellar time.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LunaP wrote:For what it's worth, I'm really excited about my first Rally. It's probably not as big as, well, anything in Atlanta, but it is a city Rally and I know we have people driving in from other cities for it. I'm in a similiar situation- I don't have the money to be drinking a lot so I won't be, but I am still expecting to have a stellar time.
We have a LOT of Richmond-area members here so hopefully many will attend and you'll get to meet some.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I went to a camping rally on my 50cc and I had a lot of fun. On the rides I was able to keep up just fine and several other riders even commented on that after the ride. As mentioned earlier, I stayed closer to the back just in case.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:
LunaP wrote:For what it's worth, I'm really excited about my first Rally. It's probably not as big as, well, anything in Atlanta, but it is a city Rally and I know we have people driving in from other cities for it. I'm in a similiar situation- I don't have the money to be drinking a lot so I won't be, but I am still expecting to have a stellar time.
We have a LOT of Richmond-area members here so hopefully many will attend and you'll get to meet some.
I probably already have met several and just don't know it :) I'm part of the club here. But I am looking forward to meeting LOTS of new folks and out of town folks... the facebook event had people from DC, Va Beach, and PA excited about coming up/down for it 0.o