I lost my kick start!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jd

I lost my kick start!

Post by jd »

I don't mean that it doesn't work. I mean that it fell off! It happened sometime during yesterday's 130 mile ride from suburban Detroit to Ann Arbor and Dexter and back. I noticed it when we stopped for gas at the end.

I went to put my kickstand down, and something didn't look right. I looked down and there was something wrong with the picture. Yikes, there's a piece missing? My wife (who was riding behind me) realized that she had run over something in the road back in Ann Arbor that might have been it, but hadn't realized at the time what it was or from where it had come.

Since my Buddy is only two months old and has only 1100 miles on it, I assume that this will be covered under the warranty as a manufacturer's defect. Has anyone else had this happen? Obviously, it wasn't screwed on tight enough. Does anyone know if the bikes arrive at the dealers with the kickstarts already installed, or is it part of the dealer final assembly process? Maybe someone needs a better wrench. :wink:
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I know what you mean. I've never been able to find the kick start on my Vespa GTS 250, and I've had the scooter since Dec. of 2009. Even the dealer didn't know where to get one, but he was mainly a Harley dealer, and has since stopped selling Vespas. The good news, however, is that my Vespa and your Buddy will both work quite well without a kick start. :)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Wow, I don't think I have ever heard of that happening. I would call your dealer. I would think that they would cover that, under warranty or not, as they are the ones that checked it before it went out the door. They should be able to get you one no problem, although I doubt it is something they have in stock.
jd

Post by jd »

Unfortunately, my dealer went out of business just as we purchased our two Buddy 125 scoots. Fortunately, there are two other dealers in the area who will take care of me, I believe.

We knew we would be without our original dealer when we purchased, but the offset was a FANTASTIC deal. Each Buddy 125 was $2300 out-the-door. Both included crash bars and rear racks, one included a windshield and the other a front rack. Later on , they threw in a windshield for the other one, too.

We exploited the going-out-of-business situation and purchased a couple of new helmets for half price. (My wife got a SPARKLY one, and she was very excited.)
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

No, that isnt part of the normal dealer prep, other than if it was loose during a general inspection. Stuff just loosens on scoots. I worked at that dealership, cant say i've ever seen that fall off before, either. If you mean the whole kickstart arm fell off it should be an easy fix. Its just put on and screw it down (with an allen wrench on mine). You fould just order it and have them send it to you. That is, if it isnt covered, if it is, no problem. Other than the general pain of tsking it to a dealer miles away. If you do order it, i csn put it on for you, its no big deal. Good luck and good riding.
TVB

Re: I lost my kick start!

Post by TVB »

jd wrote:I don't mean that it doesn't work. I mean that it fell off! It happened sometime during yesterday's 130 mile ride from suburban Detroit to Ann Arbor and Dexter and back. I noticed it when we stopped for gas at the end.
I don't want to start any legends about a mystical Southeast Michigan Triangle, but that's the same part of the state where I somehow lost my tent from the rear rack of my Buddy a few months ago, and also the handle on my key somehow got bent about 10º out of line from the business end of it. Did you see any bright lights in the sky?
jd

Post by jd »

Thadsgood wrote:No, that isnt part of the normal dealer prep, other than if it was loose during a general inspection. Stuff just loosens on scoots. I worked at that dealership, cant say i've ever seen that fall off before, either. If you mean the whole kickstart arm fell off it should be an easy fix. Its just put on and screw it down (with an allen wrench on mine). You fould just order it and have them send it to you. That is, if it isnt covered, if it is, no problem. Other than the general pain of tsking it to a dealer miles away. If you do order it, i csn put it on for you, its no big deal. Good luck and good riding.
Thanks for the offer. No, it looks like any moron with a hex wrench can put the new one on (even I!). I just need to get the part. They ought to give me a new for free, IMO, and I think they will.

jd
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

PeterC wrote:I know what you mean. I've never been able to find the kick start on my Vespa GTS 250, and I've had the scooter since Dec. of 2009. Even the dealer didn't know where to get one, but he was mainly a Harley dealer, and has since stopped selling Vespas. The good news, however, is that my Vespa and your Buddy will both work quite well without a kick start. :)

Isn't your GTS fuel injected? My 170i is... that's why it doesn't have a kick start.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

LunaP wrote:
PeterC wrote:I know what you mean. I've never been able to find the kick start on my Vespa GTS 250, and I've had the scooter since Dec. of 2009. Even the dealer didn't know where to get one, but he was mainly a Harley dealer, and has since stopped selling Vespas. The good news, however, is that my Vespa and your Buddy will both work quite well without a kick start. :)

Isn't your GTS fuel injected? My 170i is... that's why it doesn't have a kick start.
Damn! and I thought it was all that Harley dealer's fault! :wink:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

time to upgrade.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I have no idea how this would happen lol. The bolt would have to come completely out (not just loosen) and then it would have to vibrate off the splined shaft which is hard to remove on purpose :shock:
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

Isn't it also kindof important to examine your bike periodically to help ensure (Insure) things are not going south? I would consider lock-tite for that bolt if its an option once replaced.

I would think the dealer will warranty as this is the same as a mirror or seat falling off....IMO.

Glad to hear your wife didn't get wrecked btw....keep the status posted if you don't mind
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
jd

Post by jd »

UPDATE!

Studz Hardware (the place that got stuck with all the warranty work for scooters purchased at the now-defunct Scoot Around Town) contacted Genuine. The repair is covered and the kick start arm is on its way.

Genuine does insist that Studz install it, rather than handing it over to me to install myself. That makes complete sense. They need to ensure that it's going on a bike that is under under warranty and, more importantly, they have to make sure it's installed properly. I doubt they'd be eager to fork over another part because the owner didn't tighten it enough and lost a second one. :roll:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Locktite is your friend..I own plenty of single cylinder bikes and locktite or safety wire everything.

I am suprised the covered that under warranty. THAT is nice of genuine AND your shop...remember to send them as much business as you can. And check the bolt on this one :) from time to time
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jd

Post by jd »

viney266 wrote:And check the bolt on this one :) from time to time
Good advice, but it's also useful to remember that I've only had the bike for two months and put 1,100 miles on it. Oil level, tire pressures, etc., are checked regularly. It wouldn't automatically dawn on me to have checked that particular bolt for tightness, especially since I've never used the kick start (and hope never to have to!)

You can bet that I will now, though, especially on the other Buddy!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yeah, I"ve never heard of one falling off a buddy. I lost 1 over the years on a dirt bike...way back in the woods,too...no electric start, but we got it home by bumping it :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jd wrote:UPDATE!

Studz Hardware (the place that got stuck with all the warranty work for scooters purchased at the now-defunct Scoot Around Town) contacted Genuine. The repair is covered and the kick start arm is on its way.

Genuine does insist that Studz install it, rather than handing it over to me to install myself. That makes complete sense. They need to ensure that it's going on a bike that is under under warranty and, more importantly, they have to make sure it's installed properly. I doubt they'd be eager to fork over another part because the owner didn't tighten it enough and lost a second one. :roll:
Seriously? How hard can it be to tighten a freakin' kickstarter :roll: I mean, I appreciate Genuine trying to keep customers happy and all the legal trolls at bay by letting you know up front but litigation has been the death of DIY and problem solving.

As for it just falling off: It's a single cylinder bike and vibration is natural. These things shake like mad! I just make it a point every couple of weeks to spend 30 minutes going around my scooter adjusting cables and checking screws, nuts and bolts to re-tighten. It's just the name of the game (and the fun of it!)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
jd

Post by jd »

We need to remember that Genuine seems to be trying to build a brand that appeals not only to do-it-yourselfers, but also riders (especially woman) who don't want to deal with the maintenance and repair issues. It may be easy for you or me to throw on a kick start lever, but I suspect that a lot of very happy, loyal Buddy riders wouldn't want to do it. Many of them wouldn't even know what a hex wrench is. LOL!

And that's OK.

BTW, I love working on my moped, but I detest working on any scooter. It's easy to access everything on a moped, and most of my time is spent fixing the broken part. With a scooter, it seems that 90% of the effort goes into getting all the plastic gingerbread off so you can even get to the problem. When I used to try to repair my TGB Laser R5, it used to drive me crazy trying to figure out how to get the thing apart.

I never took my mopeds in for repairs, and I had to fix quite a few things over the years. For this Buddy, however, I'm going to pay someone to deal with it unless the problem is easy to access. Life's too short.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jd wrote:We need to remember that Genuine seems to be trying to build a brand that appeals not only to do-it-yourselfers, but also riders (especially woman) who don't want to deal with the maintenance and repair issues. It may be easy for you or me to throw on a kick start lever, but I suspect that a lot of very happy, loyal Buddy riders wouldn't want to do it. Many of them wouldn't even know what a hex wrench is. LOL!

And that's OK.
Well perhaps for some that's ok, but the thought that there are people running around who can't even tighten a bolt on a machine yet have no problem rolling down the road at 40 to 60 MPH scares the HELL out of me :shock: Then again, it's probably why most car drivers terrify me. They treat deadly machines as appliances but don't bother to understand why they do what they do

(not applying that to you man, just the types in general who refuse to learn anything on a bike/car) I'm not saying you have to become an ASE master mechanic, but BASIC concepts and maintenance! If you can't even change your own oil you shouldn't own it.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TVB

Post by TVB »

neotrotsky wrote:If you can't even change your own oil you shouldn't own it.
And if you can't compile your own apps, you shouldn't own a computer. :roll:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

TVB wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:If you can't even change your own oil you shouldn't own it.
And if you can't compile your own apps, you shouldn't own a computer. :roll:
Perhaps that wouldn't be a bad idea. But, instead of knee-jerk responses how about a BASIC approach: If you don't know how to bookmark a page, attach a file to an email, insert a picture on a forum post or how to figure out how many programs are running at one time on a slow computer, perhaps you SHOULD stay away from a computer until you learn these BASIC things!

Seriously, why does everyone think it's ok to be completely ignorant of even the BASICS of the devices we use everyday? I'm not talking about knowing how to rebuild an engine (or writing your own apps, using your witty response), but the basic oil change, tire pressure and checking and replacing a fuse. People who don't even know how to change a flat tire on a car sicken me... it's NOT THAT HARD!! If you can't physically do so, then that is a different matter. But at least you understand the CONCEPT of it. Knowing how a machine works is as critical as driving it/riding it well. Just the basics...

And yet, as a society in America, we encourage ignorance

jd

Post by jd »

neotrotsky wrote:And yet, as a society in America, we encourage ignorance
No, we encourage specialization of labor.

One upon a time, you had to be able to do everything from growing your own food to making your own clothing. You also had to be able to fix everything you owned all by yourself.

That is no longer the case, thank goodness.

I enjoy fixing things where I can, but not everyone does. My hobbies are not their hobbies. I get a kick out of changing my own oil and filter, but my brother thinks its nuts to not pay someone else to do it. He's right. And so am I.

To some, a scooter is a machine that's as much to work on as it is to ride. To others, it's a way to get to work. BTW, some of the best riders I know don't know the difference between a spark plug and an idle adjustment screw. But they know people who do, and that is ALL that matters.

So let's try to leave our arrogance at the door.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ScooterTrash wrote:I have no idea how this would happen lol. The bolt would have to come completely out (not just loosen) and then it would have to vibrate off the splined shaft which is hard to remove on purpose :shock:
wow, yeah, just knowing how that goes together, it's a crazy long shot it would just vibrate off. I'd say it's more likely the bolt was on upside down, or the lever cracked so badly the whole thing just fell off the shaft. Did you bump it on a curb or anything? Had you been using it at all?

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

So it's fine to not even understand the most basic form of matainance that EVERY rider must do, an oil change, because you would rather pay someone else to do it. If you cannot take time to understand how to change your oil, a 15 minute process, then perhaps motorcycles aren't for you. Not arrogance.

But hey, if something goes wrong, that means instead of owning up to not following proper matainance you can always sue the "specialized labor", another fine American tradition.

Don't call me arrogant when you have a hard time realizing that motorbikes aren't like your Maytag washer and actually take a few braincells to run. If you don't like the "opinion", go pay someone $65/hr to give you another. Just don't come bitching about it when you could avoid it with a few minutes research and wrench turning

Lokky

Post by Lokky »

It's interesting, in Italy in order to get your license you must show basic competence regarding your vehicle.
The test includes questions about engines and what is likely to cause issues and so on. This is true of both cars and motorcycles.

I agree with this approach because I think someone who understands his vehicle is more likely to be more responsible when using it, as well as having some basic skills if things go wrong.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Lokky wrote:It's interesting, in Italy in order to get your license you must show basic competence regarding your vehicle.
The test includes questions about engines and what is likely to cause issues and so on. This is true of both cars and motorcycles.

I agree with this approach because I think someone who understands his vehicle is more likely to be more responsible when using it, as well as having some basic skills if things go wrong.
That's all I am asking.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Now you're being arrogant and argumentative.

Is there some kind of planetary hoo-ha misalignment or solar flares or is it economic insecurity or whatever the hell is going on? People have been extra testy, belligerent and hostile on the forums (including MB but not just here) lately. Everyone needs to chill and start being a little more considerate of each other. I'm not just talking about this thread.

But if we start here, imagine what we can accomplish.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jd

Post by jd »

ericalm wrote:Now you're being arrogant and argumentative.

Is there some kind of planetary hoo-ha misalignment or solar flares or is it economic insecurity or whatever the hell is going on? People have been extra testy, belligerent and hostile on the forums (including MB but not just here) lately. Everyone needs to chill and start being a little more considerate of each other. I'm not just talking about this thread.

But if we start here, imagine what we can accomplish.
***LIKE***

It's a good thing, because I wasn't looking forward to telling my wife that she shouldn't be riding her moped or either of her two scooters because she doesn't know how to change the oil by herself. :lol:
jd

Post by jd »

Update on the kick kick start lever that flew the coop....

Studz Hardware in Dearborn Heights, MI ordered the part from Genuine, and had it in three days. It's taken me a while to get there to have it installed, but I finally donned multiple layers of cold-weather clothing and made the 22 mile ride there this morning. It took them five minutes to finish the job, have me sign a receipt, and that was the end of it.

BTW, if anyone's looking for a good deal on a Buddy 125, they've got a couple of them in there that they're selling for $2399 out the door, and they throw in open-face helmets for free.