Banned scooterjon

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Banned scooterjon

Post by ericalm »

I've banned scooterjon. This is not because he has complaints about Genuine, but due to the confirmation of members' suspicions about him when one of his many IP addresses resolved to a competitor of Genuine. I won't say who, but… aw, screw it, it's Piaggio USA.

I'm not trying to start an anti-Piaggio fracas, brew up conspiracy theories or anything like that. There have been several complaints against scooterjon, including accusations that he might work for Piaggio. But I defended this guy's right to have a problem with Genuine and voice it. I also recently told someone that I occasionally appreciated his comments because they gave us an opportunity to defend the Genuine and tout their policies and record without looking like brown nosers.

Additionally, I felt that it's problematic to ban someone with an anti-Genuine axe to grind without any concrete evidence beyond their frequent pot shots and complaints. In moderator discussions, I'd said that I'm not treating people like trolls simply for having issues or being negative; they have to violate Guidelines or be caught in something duplicitous such as posting under different usernames or, uh, posting from Piaggio USA IP addresses.

Well.

I don't know who this guy is or whether his behaviors here were sanctioned by Piaggio or if they've any awareness of what he's doing. I can't even say for sure that he works for them; he'd previously stated he was in Denver. But his past posts with this information were sufficient evidence to get him banned.

I recently told scooterjon this (and in the past banned a Piaggio/Vespa dealer who I know personally for these reasons): I don't care if you have issues with Genuine or negative opinions. People are free to complain. Valid complaints are constructive. But if someone's primary purpose in coming to MB is to agitate and stir up shit rather than provide or obtain information, seek or provide help, or participate in the community, then they will be banned.

We expect a degree of sincerity and honest intentions when people join the forum. This is a community, and that means a lot to me. A few bad eggs are expected, but IMHO there's no worse betrayal than trying to fool or pull one over on all of us in order to push some agenda or indulge your own craziness.

We're not here to be cheerleaders or blindly promote the company. If someone has a problem with their scooter, we're here to help. We serve owners, all types of scooterists, and anyone sincerely interested in scootering. And I'll even tolerate a few cranks and those with obvious chips on their shoulders.

Just don't pull any crap like this guy unless you want to get banned and publicly outed.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BTW, my primary motivation for posting this here is to let people know to take anything this guys has ever posted with a big ol' grain of dubious salt. He got into too many threads, with replies, quotes, etc. for us to clean it all up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

:clown:

All I can say is that I only ran into the dude once and wanted to cyber-beat-him-up :hit:

Many +1's to whomever is responsible for the sleuthing that finally got the jackass banned. Good riddance.

And Eric, you're an outstandingly fair admin, for better or worse ;)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Well done.

This is one of the few scooter-related forums that I frequent in which the mods are able to keep things on an even keel without being wusses or stormtroopers. Even though I'm no longer a part of the Genuine family, I've never been made to feel that way by either the mods or other members. Well, except for those Suzuki guys and their damned Burgmans.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Die scooterjon scum, die!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

:clap: :clap: thank you Eric and the all the mods, you guys do a great job for sure.

You know for awhile I had been reading his posts and thinking "Jesus, what is this guys problem?" I believe I even called him on it at least once and never got a response back. It seemed as though when ever somebody would call him on it, he would go away for a little bit, but then randomly chime in with a "genuine is garbage" type comment. And I couldn't figure out how somebody could have a buddy "broken" for so long :?
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Unfortunately, there's always someone with an axe to grind in these forums. Every forum I frequent (which is too many :( ) has someone beating someone's down, or constantly trying to bolster their interests.

Fortunately, people can figure out who pretty quickly and pay appropriate attention to their whining and politicing.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Where's the like button???
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Nice job.

I was thinking that he was indeed starting to get a little ridiculous, and I've only been here since September! :?
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

charlie55 wrote:Well done.

This is one of the few scooter-related forums that I frequent in which the mods are able to keep things on an even keel without being wusses or stormtroopers. Even though I'm no longer a part of the Genuine family, I've never been made to feel that way by either the mods or other members. Well, except for those Suzuki guys and their damned Burgmans.
I guess I haven't been here long enough to run across this character. Obviously, it was no loss.

I sincerely hope Piaggio had nothing to do with this but if so, their effort would be better spent building up their dealer network, and, if the Italian cliche is true, beefing up their parts distribution system as well.

I'm rather a Suzuki fan myself but never owned a Burg. Do you mean individuals or a dedicated Burgman site or a maxi-scooter site?
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Good show!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I wonder whatever happened to his broken red Buddy?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Southerner wrote:
charlie55 wrote:Well done.

I guess I haven't been here long enough to run across this character. Obviously, it was no loss.

I sincerely hope Piaggio had nothing to do with this but if so, their effort would be better spent building up their dealer network, and, if the Italian cliche is true, beefing up their parts distribution system as well.

I'm rather a Suzuki fan myself but never owned a Burg. Do you mean individuals or a dedicated Burgman site or a maxi-scooter site?
Just kidding - forgot to add a :wink:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I was just afraid it might have been one of the sites I frequent.

Many maxi-scooterists often do own and/or discuss smaller scoots and many seem to be well-heeled and own several 2-wheelers.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Southerner wrote:I was just afraid it might have been one of the sites I frequent.

Many maxi-scooterists often do own and/or discuss smaller scoots and many seem to be well-heeled and own several 2-wheelers.
Now that'd be a sight: a Burgie 650 Executive sporting a VersaHaul with a Buddy on it.

Some sites are pretty good, but I just dropped off one (which shall remain nameless) because of late it's been monopolized by some troll and 3 or 4 of his compatriots (or alter egos). For some reason, the mods over there don't much seem to give a rat's a** about it. Frankly though, I'd still be here on MB if all I had in my garage was a riding mower. It's one of the most civil and informative forums (fora?, forii?) I've ever encountered.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

It's a bit sad the IP came from Vespa USA. I mean, I have been VERY displeased with their modern re-invention of themselves in the US, but to have a troll using company time to slam another company (especially one that started from another company that was one of the few importers for Piaggio parts during the blackout period) is not cool.

Then again, if that is truly the case, Piaggio USA is following with the rest of Italy and making some very bad decisions that could affect them financially. Then again, I don't see Vespa staying in the US much longer to be honest unless the economy REALLY picks up.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

neotrotsky wrote:It's a bit sad the IP came from Vespa USA. I mean, I have been VERY displeased with their modern re-invention of themselves in the US, but to have a troll using company time to slam another company (especially one that started from another company that was one of the few importers for Piaggio parts during the blackout period) is not cool.

Then again, if that is truly the case, Piaggio USA is following with the rest of Italy and making some very bad decisions that could affect them financially. Then again, I don't see Vespa staying in the US much longer to be honest unless the economy REALLY picks up.
There is some bad blood, as one of those companies we all know and love was borne from the spoils of war with another...

My outlook on the future of Piaggio remaining in these United States is relatively bleak as well...and the economy is only PART of their problem, IMO.

Let's hope I'm wrong.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

crap. sounds like i missed some fun stuff. MB seems to have a super low count of troll infiltrators. thank
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

neotrotsky wrote:It's a bit sad the IP came from Vespa USA. I mean, I have been VERY displeased with their modern re-invention of themselves in the US, but to have a troll using company time to slam another company (especially one that started from another company that was one of the few importers for Piaggio parts during the blackout period) is not cool.

Let's keep in mind, that this is one individual who felt the need to start trouble, and may not be coming from the company itself. Don't meet company bashing with the same attitude. It solves nothing, and it has never been what this forum is about.

Thanks Eric for watching out for the forum. It is always appreciated.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

wasn't someone doing the same thing shooed off here before? Is this the same person...or do I remember them trolling on Modernvespa ? I adore my Vespa, but don't have warm fuzzies for corporate Piaggio and sometimes the Vespa only snobs exaust me.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Syd wrote:I wonder whatever happened to his broken red Buddy?
Under the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a figment of his imagination.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

bluebuddygirl wrote:

Let's keep in mind, that this is one individual who felt the need to start trouble, and may not be coming from the company itself. Don't meet company bashing with the same attitude. It solves nothing, and it has never been what this forum is about.

Thanks Eric for watching out for the forum. It is always appreciated.
Oh, I'm not bashing Piaggio... just it's current management. Obviously I have NO problem with the bikes at all and not a thing I sad was "brand bashing". But, to those of us who ride Vespa it's no secret that we're a little fed up that they really don't care too much about the US market. But, as riders we have a right to question it's management, especially when the bikes are worth putting more effort into! It's just odd that something like this comes out from an employee carrying on these actions and they simply just don't notice. If I did this at my job, I have a feeling any response would lead to an instant termination. Most companies these days are quite aware of bad net press.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I miss Kazoo.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

I kind of think it is more of a problem of society not of the company. Not to start a flame war, this is just my opinion. but it seems society in general has lowered it's standards. I grew up in a different time where honor and integrity were really all you had. Deals done on a handshake. Now days, it is completely different. If it is not in writing everything is fair. I personally would not think of disguising my intentions, or my affiliations. If you are honest and have integrity there is no need. I fully expect that the Piaggio company had no knowledge of this act. The company i work for has specific rules against these things, How ever people see our politicians even do this kind of underhanded tactic, and feel it is ok. To me it is not.

I am so glad that we have good MOD's here that watch out for this kind oF stuff. Thanks People!!!
Born to be Mild!!!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

izark47 wrote:I kind of think it is more of a problem of society not of the company. Not to start a flame war, this is just my opinion. but it seems society in general has lowered it's standards. I grew up in a different time where honor and integrity were really all you had. Deals done on a handshake. Now days, it is completely different. If it is not in writing everything is fair. I personally would not think of disguising my intentions, or my affiliations. If you are honest and have integrity there is no need. I fully expect that the Piaggio company had no knowledge of this act. The company i work for has specific rules against these things, How ever people see our politicians even do this kind of underhanded tactic, and feel it is ok. To me it is not.

I am so glad that we have good MOD's here that watch out for this kind oF stuff. Thanks People!!!
That's just a classic case of looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. The "good old days" were just as (if not more) vicious. We're just more aware of it now and news travels faster. The previous generation is no more superior than the current.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As I said, we don't know if Piaggio USA knew about this or condoned it. I doubt it, because honestly, this is embarrassing for them.

At the same time, I've no problem with outing the individual, especially since he was careless enough to post from a Piaggio USA IP.

I've been very critical of Piaggio USA on occasion over on ModernVespa (but usually forego talking about them much here). But I've always done it as myself. Some people have said I hate Piaggio. Naw. They're a company. I like a lot of their products—love a few of them—and dislike some of their practices and behaviors. Doesn't make me hate them and I don't have an axe to grind or agenda. I love scootering, they're a big part of it, and I'd love to see them be a better company and serve their owners better.

And their marketing is an embarrassment. :)
neotrotsky wrote:
izark47 wrote:I kind of think it is more of a problem of society not of the company. Not to start a flame war, this is just my opinion. but it seems society in general has lowered it's standards. I grew up in a different time where honor and integrity were really all you had. Deals done on a handshake. Now days, it is completely different. If it is not in writing everything is fair. I personally would not think of disguising my intentions, or my affiliations. If you are honest and have integrity there is no need. I fully expect that the Piaggio company had no knowledge of this act. The company i work for has specific rules against these things, How ever people see our politicians even do this kind of underhanded tactic, and feel it is ok. To me it is not.

That's just a classic case of looking at the past through rose-colored glasses. The "good old days" were just as (if not more) vicious. We're just more aware of it now and news travels faster. The previous generation is no more superior than the current.
Oh, we are so not going down the "society is going to the dogs… or is it?" road in another thread! We just did it somewhere else and it wasn't pretty.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I agree that it's kind of sad on Piaggio/Vespa USA's part... but who knows if the company itself knew about it... and who knows if they will or will not find out, or what will happen to "scooterjon" as far as "company policies" go.
I'm happy to be a part of Genuine, especially knowing that they don't resort to the sort of nonsense that ScooterJon did to try and bash the competitor(s).

It's pretty obvious that they (Genuine) are likely to be one of the leaders in scooter sales in the US eventually/fairly soon, and we are all the better for it! They definitely have the idea of what it takes to make it in this economy, and what it takes to keep customers happy and loyal!
Too bad others just don't care enough to follow in their footsteps, it'll be too bad for them in the end!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I grew up in Florida, we used to get the occasional "snake in the grass" and by this I mean a real snake slithering through the backyard or swimming in the pool. The shovel was reared and the head removed, unfortunately there are always more snakes.
I did not have any interactions with this scooterjon, but the posts I have seen did come across as very negative and the guy was always very defensive.
What I am trying to say in a very long winded way is thanks for removing the head.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
izark47

Post by izark47 »

ericalm wrote:As I said, we don't know if Piaggio USA knew about this or condoned it. I doubt it, because honestly, this is embarrassing for them.

At the same time, I've no problem with outing the individual, especially since he was careless enough to post from a Piaggio USA IP.

I've been very critical of Piaggio USA on occasion over on ModernVespa (but usually forego talking about them much here). But I've always done it as myself. Some people have said I hate Piaggio. Naw. They're a company. I like a lot of their products—love a few of them—and dislike some of their practices and behaviors. Doesn't make me hate them and I don't have an axe to grind or agenda. I love scootering, they're a big part of it, and I'd love to see them be a better company and serve their owners better.

And their marketing is an embarrassment. :)
neotrotsky wrote:

Oh, we are so not going down the "society is going to the dogs… or is it?" road in another thread! We just did it somewhere else and it wasn't pretty.
Fair Enough, as i said it was just my opinion...and thanks again for good modding!!
Born to be Mild!!!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Lil Buddy wrote:I miss Kazoo.
:rofl:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jmazza wrote:
Lil Buddy wrote:I miss Kazoo.
:rofl:
Yikes! I bet you also miss dentistry before the invention of novocaine.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

neotrotsky wrote:Then again, if that is truly the case, Piaggio USA is following with the rest of Italy and making some very bad decisions that could affect them financially. Then again, I don't see Vespa staying in the US much longer to be honest unless the economy REALLY picks up.
That's too bad. I have me eye on a Piaggio MP3 for some future purchase over a car. I first encounter those in Paris and think it might be a very viable alternative for a two person family. My husband has a car (and bicycle). I only have a bicycle and there's no reason we need another car in the family.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have to doubt that Piaggio US had a hand in scooterjon's postings. If it did, it was the lamest attempt at brand damage imaginable. One guy, with such an obvious axe to grind, is pretty unlikely to have an effect on MB, let alone Genuine. If anything, the existence of the occasional scooterjon is the exception that proves the rule of the Buddy's (and MB's) quality.

More likely, scooterjon is a Vespa fanboy who decided on his own he could help out the boss, as it were.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

More likely, scooterjon is a Vespa fanboy who decided on his own he could help out the boss, as it were.
Anything's possible in cases like this. If he was really clever and had an axe to grind with Piaggio, he apparently succeeded.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Syd

Post by Syd »

gt1000 wrote:
Anything's possible in cases like this. If he was really clever and had an axe to grind with Piaggio, he apparently succeeded.
Ooo, devious! Maybe he is a soon to be laid-off disgruntled employee. Nice.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I went back through the general discussion area a few pages and didn't run across any thread he originated so, as I thought, he must have been pretty much gone before I got here.

Imagine. A mole in MB.

Not a vole.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm968014848/tt1634122

I actually took my son to see this. We were the only two people in the whole theater.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

????
Vespa will have its best year in the States in 2011 since 2008!
Sure there are some left over bikes at the warehouse, but any new 2011-2012 models are all pretty much sold out at the warehouse!
I know I am currently out of GTS/ GTV models until January and my inventory of LX 150 I.E is very slim as well.
MP3s are doing well with the promotion as well; BV 300 are sold out.
BV 500s are still plenty available.
Flys are in short supplies and Typhoons are already sold out.

Aprilia motorcycles are doing pretty damn well this year too.

I think they will be doing just fine!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I wish that success in the U. S. would be shared by Moto Guzzi as well.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Southerner wrote:I wish that success in the U. S. would be shared by Moto Guzzi as well.
Some bikes are doing better than others.
That new V7 Classic is just... stunning!
Attachments
moto_guzzi_nuova_v7_special_04_177.jpg
moto_guzzi_nuova_v7_special_04_177.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
moto_guzzi_nuova_v7_03_144.jpg
moto_guzzi_nuova_v7_03_144.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
moto_guzzi_new_v7_range_750_171.jpg
moto_guzzi_new_v7_range_750_171.jpg (128.4 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alexbv200 wrote:Vespa will have its best year in the States in 2011 since 2008!
So will everyone else! :)
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ericalm wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:Vespa will have its best year in the States in 2011 since 2008!
So will everyone else! :)
Exactly!!!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Love the V7 but my absolute favorite is the California Vintage. Everything about it is just right.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

We're straying wayyyyy off topic here and getting into some things that are interesting and worth discussing outside this thread, so I'm locking it. No more need to discuss the incident.