Scooter locks for Honda Metropolitan (or Genuine Buddy)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teabow1

Scooter locks for Honda Metropolitan (or Genuine Buddy)

Post by teabow1 »

So what kind of locks do you recommend for the 50cc Honda Metropolitan (or Genuine Buddy). I know about disc locks but let's SKIP that recommendation since those locks can't be used on the Metropolitan.

It seems to me a chain (chained around the front wheel and body of scooter, and then around an immobile object) plus a small u-shape-like lock to link the chain together is a common method.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Xena disc lock. Without a doubt.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Wait, no disc locks since the Metropolitan can't use it :-)
TVB

Post by TVB »

To make a scooter secure from being picked up and carried away, you need to run the chain through some part of the vehicle, not just wrapped around it somehow. If there's slack in the chain a thief can unwrap it. There's a place you can run a chain through under the floorboards of the Buddy, for example. If you can't find such a place on the Metro, running the chain through the rear wheel (much harder to remove than the front) should be pretty secure.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

TVB,

You're right! I just found this video on YouTube that shows how this is done. Wrapping the chain around the floorboard of the scooter is not enough if there is play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01fBflJh ... ata_player

The first minute or so of the video has no activity. Just fast forward.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

teabow1 wrote:Wait, no disc locks since the Metropolitan can't use it :-)
Why can't you use a disc lock on a Metro? Does it not have a front disc break?

teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Yes, unfortunately there are no disc brakes on the Honda Metropolitan.

In any case, I wouldn't trust just solely using a disc lock. I have seen lots of videos where a scooter/motorcycle is lifted and rolled away or put in a car.

Seems prudent to me to treat a small scooter like a bicycle for locking purposes, meaning it needs to be locked to an immobile object. I'm also beginning to think that many times bicycles are less likely to be stolen than a scooter because (I assume) that for most people a scooter is a more attractive vehicle than a bicycle is.
Bulls Eye

Post by Bulls Eye »

At the least, you could get a Grip Lock

I use one on my Italia 150. It won't keep anyone from lifting the scooter up, but it will stop someone from walking it away- not a perfect solution, but a good start.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

teabow1 wrote:Yes, unfortunately there are no disc brakes on the Honda Metropolitan.
Personally for me, that is reason enough not to own a Metro. Brakes are pretty important to me. Unless of course you are doing the whole vintage scooter thing, in which case you are opting for inferior technology in favor of esthetic.

paige

Post by paige »

Grip Lock.
I used it in combination with the locking thing under the seat on the Metropolitan.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
teabow1 wrote:Yes, unfortunately there are no disc brakes on the Honda Metropolitan.
Personally for me, that is reason enough not to own a Metro. Brakes are pretty important to me. Unless of course you are doing the whole vintage scooter thing, in which case you are opting for inferior technology in favor of esthetic.
Skootz, are you kidding? Drum brakes work, you just need to be comfortable using them. It's a Met...you're not getting it up to 100mph. The b/f commutes daily on his '71 BMW with drum brakes and I don't worry about him making it to and fro. Know how to use 'em and you're fine.

OP, here's one of the lock threads: topic5755.html

When I had my Met, I used a OnGuard chain. I can't remember where I ran it through. I want to say I wrapped it around the floorboard and then to the sign post where I worked. That sounds right.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

You can get by with wrapping a chain around the floorboard if you use a second padlock to cinch up any slack tight around the floorboard - tight enough to where the loop of chain can't be worked around the front or back end.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow: I don't know about other lock companies, but I really like Kryptonite locks. The reason I love them so much is because on top of being fantastic, each lock comes with an individual serial code, which you can register by mail or on the website. If you register it, they will then send you a copy of your key if you need it- the first is free, after that I think they charge you S&H. That way if you lose you key AND the extra it comes with, you can still get a key to your lock. SUPER COOL.

I have a disc lock, but boyfriend's Stella can't use a disc lock so he has a giant chain lock by them- the chain links are seriously like half-inch thick in diameter.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

siobhan wrote:...The b/f commutes daily on his '71 BMW with drum brakes...
That's a vintage bike to me. And of course there is certainly nothing wrong with vintage, I look forward to owning a few (one day... one day...).

I'm just sayin' given the choice, on a modern bike/scooter, all other things being equal, I would buy a disc/disc first, followed by disc/drum, drum/drum. Disc brakes are the superior modern technology, so if buying something modern why go with outdated technology?

teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
siobhan wrote:...The b/f commutes daily on his '71 BMW with drum brakes...
That's a vintage bike to me. And of course there is certainly nothing wrong with vintage, I look forward to owning a few (one day... one day...).

I'm just sayin' given the choice, on a modern bike/scooter, all other things being equal, I would buy a disc/disc first, followed by disc/drum, drum/drum. Disc brakes are the superior modern technology, so if buying something modern why go with outdated technology?
Well,as I understand, for a 50cc scooter drum brakes work just fine. Having disc brakes might be slightly better for a50cc, but is not really much of a consequential difference. Other items on a 50cc might trump over having disc brakes for some users.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

A drum brake is a drum brake is a drum brake. If you want to know how well they work try stopping with just the rear brake on a Buddy. Sure it works, but you'll be coasting for quite a ways. That's why even the Buddy 50cc has a front disc brake.

Some people may consider front and rear drums brakes sufficient for some 50cc scooters simply a 50cc scooter never really gets going very fast to begin with, so there's less inertia have to brake against. But the fact still remains, disc brakes are the better technology and have been for many years. That's why modern drum/drum scooters (and motorcycles) are pretty much unheard of. But certainly buy whatever you wish.

AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

LunaP wrote:teabow: I don't know about other lock companies, but I really like Kryptonite locks. The reason I love them so much is because on top of being fantastic, each lock comes with an individual serial code, which you can register by mail or on the website. If you register it, they will then send you a copy of your key if you need it- the first is free, after that I think they charge you S&H. That way if you lose you key AND the extra it comes with, you can still get a key to your lock. SUPER COOL.

I have a disc lock, but boyfriend's Stella can't use a disc lock so he has a giant chain lock by them- the chain links are seriously like half-inch thick in diameter.
Sorry Luna, BUT in a few of my motorcycling friends' and various people on YouTube's experiences, Kryptonite locks are not exactly the most secure. Some of their locks can be picked with a pen cap, others can be sawed through with a metal nail file (I hope you didn't get one of those!).

Anyway, I went with Trimax, for my disc lock, super thick 8ft cable, and U-lock... they seemed to have the top reviews on Amazon, some even better than those made by Xena. They make longer than 8ft cables also, I just didn't need one quite that long.

They also come with 3 keys each. I have one of each on my key ring which I leave locked under my seat (with the locks, when the locks are not in use), so that I don't lose them. I gave one of each to my bf just in case I do happen to lose them when we are on a trip, or can't get my seat open for some reason... and one of each on our key hook thinger at home... just in case bf lost his, I lost mine, and we need to go home for them (which is extremely unlikely).

I can't provide any info on grip locks though, so if you do end up with the Honda Met instead of the Buddy, I'm sure Trimax has some sort of a grip lock that can be used as well.

These are the things I use:
Trimax 5.5mm Disc Lock
Trimax 15mm x 8ft, reinforced cable
Trimax U-lock

Also, I very rarely use the cable lock on my daily travels. I live in the suburbs in a part of our wonderful country where people just don't know what the heck a scooter is... and that it only weighs 230lbs, not 6-700 like a typical motorcycle in this area. But I most certainly do use it anywhere outside of work (where I can see the scooter from my particular location, and run out in the blink of an eye and yell at anyone if I seem them monkeying with it... or call the sheriffs, since their HQ is in the same building) or the grocery store/bank (because I'm only in there for 5 minutes, when I ride there rather than take my car).
Last edited by AWinn6889 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

And just a random story about chain locks. I had to lock up my Buddy to a sign post in an sorta abandoned-at-night section of Providence while I rode home on another scoot. My neighbor drove me back to fetch the scoot and I couldn't, for the life of me, get the key to unlock the thing (it wasn't my chain lock).

My neighbor drove me back home and I wandered from neighbor to neighbor trying to find bolt cutters, which I finally got from a contractor neighbor.

At this point, it's about 11:30 pm. My neighbor drives me back to where the scoot is locked. Together, me a white girl and he a black Haitian dude, start cutting the lock with bolt cutters on an abandoned side street. A cop pulls up and I explain to him what's going on, and he says, "Oh ok, have a good ride back home."

Moral of the story: all chain locks can be cut and the cops probably won't do anything about it. I still shake my head when I ride by that spot.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Cops should know better than to trust a white girl. :)

In his defense, part of being a good law enforcement officer is "reading" people, so the fact that he reached the correct conclusion about you isn't necessarily an indication that he did his job poorly.
Last edited by TVB on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

siobhan wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Skootz, are you kidding? Drum brakes work, you just need to be comfortable using them. It's a Met...you're not getting it up to 100mph. The b/f commutes daily on his '71 BMW with drum brakes and I don't worry about him making it to and fro. Know how to use 'em and you're fine.

OP, here's one of the lock threads: topic5755.html

When I had my Met, I used a OnGuard chain. I can't remember where I ran it through. I want to say I wrapped it around the floorboard and then to the sign post where I worked. That sounds right.
The brakes on my P200, when they were finally adjusted and lined the way they were SUPPOSED to be, actually stopped BETTER than my '05 Stella!! Disc brakes are good, but just because they're disc doesn't mean they're going to stop better than any drum brake. Design, size, braking surface, tire selection, weight distribution, pressure and rider skill all factor into proper braking.

But, back to chains:

I personally use the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain Lock. It's a stout chain that is very difficult to get purchase on with a bolt cutters, and is as stout a deterrent as any chain lock can be. Of course, no chain lock is perfect. But, this is one heavy deterrent and looks like it means business. And, it has a bit of sturdiness to back up those looks. I've used them on my Stella and then on my P200e and it works well and is easy to attach. Just find a lamp pole or some equally tall, heavy, bolted thing and wrap it around the footdeck.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

neotrotsky wrote:But, back to chains...
Ya, sorry. The whole brake conversation thing took the thread off topic. Apologies. Carry on...

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

this is a legendary thread about scooter security that has some great tips:

viewtopic.php?t=12044

Xena makes other locking alarms that aren't for disc brakes
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/bul ... n/showall/

My area is pretty safe. I just use the cable xena gave me, lock it to my porch with the xena disc alarm and call it a night. I do have comprehensive insurance that helps me sleep, too.
Mulliganal

Re: Scooter locks for Honda Metropolitan (or Genuine Buddy)

Post by Mulliganal »

teabow1 wrote:So what kind of locks do you recommend for the 50cc Honda Metropolitan.......
My wife has a Metro and I gave her my 'Prima Thick Cable Lock' that I got for free when I purchased my Stella. It fits between the spokes of her rear wheel; granted we're not in a high crime area so this is sufficient for her at work.

".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

AWinn6889 wrote:
LunaP wrote:teabow: I don't know about other lock companies, but I really like Kryptonite locks. The reason I love them so much is because on top of being fantastic, each lock comes with an individual serial code, which you can register by mail or on the website. If you register it, they will then send you a copy of your key if you need it- the first is free, after that I think they charge you S&H. That way if you lose you key AND the extra it comes with, you can still get a key to your lock. SUPER COOL.

Sorry Luna, BUT in a few of my motorcycling friends' and various people on YouTube's experiences, Kryptonite locks are not exactly the most secure. Some of their locks can be picked with a pen cap, others can be sawed through with a metal nail file (I hope you didn't get one of those!).

That's okay, it's good to know- thanks for the info. I have a disc lock, so no metal file, and the chain bf has... well... a file WOULD work but it would take a good hour or two at least, not a quick job for sure. Now I'm curious and want to go take a pen cap to my disc lock, haha.

I just thought it was super neat of them that they would register your info and send you key copies if you needed them. Do other companies do that?
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

The thing about Kryptonite locks being picked with the cap of a BIC pen is really old news. It has been many, MANY years since Kryptonite has made the circular kind of locks that can be picked with a pen cap.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow1 wrote:The thing about Kryptonite locks being picked with the cap of a BIC pen is really old news. It has been many, MANY years since Kryptonite has made the circular kind of locks that can be picked with a pen cap.
Was going to say... I just took a good look at the key for my disc lock. It's pretty complicated looking and not anywhere near flat. I've had to jiggle the key in the lock to get it in and out. I doubt I'm going to be able to pick it with a pen cap (still gonna try for curiousity's sake).
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

LunaP wrote:
teabow1 wrote:The thing about Kryptonite locks being picked with the cap of a BIC pen is really old news. It has been many, MANY years since Kryptonite has made the circular kind of locks that can be picked with a pen cap.
Was going to say... I just took a good look at the key for my disc lock. It's pretty complicated looking and not anywhere near flat. I've had to jiggle the key in the lock to get it in and out. I doubt I'm going to be able to pick it with a pen cap (still gonna try for curiousity's sake).
LunaP, if your Kryptonite lock uses a cylindrical key, those are the types that can be picked by a pen cap. A long while back, Kryptonite had a re-call for those but if I recall, those were way back in the late 1990s or early 2000s and is no longer in effect. If you have that kind of lock, you might want to replace it unless you don't live in a high crime place.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Nope. Brand new as of September- the key has little squares poking out different directions. Lokky's chain isn't more than 2 years old.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

That's good! Nothing to worry about then. Only those with cylindrical keys were at issue and those kinds of locks have not been made for I think close to a decade now?
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

teabow1 wrote:That's good! Nothing to worry about then. Only those with cylindrical keys were at issue and those kinds of locks have not been made for I think close to a decade now?
But, you can still find them for sale on amazon, brand spankin new.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Really? I'd like to see that! That wouldn't be good at all.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

siobhan wrote:And just a random story about chain locks. I had to lock up my Buddy to a sign post in an sorta abandoned-at-night section of Providence while I rode home on another scoot. My neighbor drove me back to fetch the scoot and I couldn't, for the life of me, get the key to unlock the thing (it wasn't my chain lock).

My neighbor drove me back home and I wandered from neighbor to neighbor trying to find bolt cutters, which I finally got from a contractor neighbor.

At this point, it's about 11:30 pm. My neighbor drives me back to where the scoot is locked. Together, me a white girl and he a black Haitian dude, start cutting the lock with bolt cutters on an abandoned side street. A cop pulls up and I explain to him what's going on, and he says, "Oh ok, have a good ride back home."

Moral of the story: all chain locks can be cut and the cops probably won't do anything about it. I still shake my head when I ride by that spot.
Ak...what an awful night that must have been for you!

I buy combination locks, where you input your own combo...then you don't have to worry about forgetting the key, or someone putting something in the key lock to where the key won't work.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's