When is it time for a new belt?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brianwheelies

When is it time for a new belt?

Post by brianwheelies »

I noticed that my belt is showing some metal and my variator is showing a ring where I assume the metal is contacting the variator face. Does this mean it is new belt time? I am also noticing my top speed is dropping.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

The belt has about 1,300 miles and this is on my Ratller 50. The belt is about 16mm wide now and I cleaned out the cvt area because it was full of belt dust.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The belt doesn't have any metal in it. Something doesn't seem right, based on your description. I'd take it in for service if I were you.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Maybe it isn't metal but I thought it was. Maybe it is a braided fiber of some sort. Either way I am getting a new belt tomorrow.
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

The service limit for the belt is 16mm so you need a new one.

Why after 1300 miles I don't know. If the scooter is not new to you then the previous owner may have used the wrong belt. If it is new go back to the dealer.

If you check I believe you need a 788-17-28 belt. If you can fix a bicycle you can change a belt. Which one you buy depends on your budget.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

I read in one thread that these belts are directional. That I did not know. I put a 1,000rpm contra spring, new 1,500rpm clutch springs, and new rollers in today. That is when I noticed the belt getting thin. It would be nice to find something at the auto parts store. The local Genuine dealer doesn't stock much in the way of spares.

Very poorly run shop IMO.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

after the Holidays :cry:
Riding is riding
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

JHScoot wrote:after the Holidays :cry:
Haha!

Back to business, the bike actually has about 1,900 miles.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

a belt should last lots longer then that i have 15000 miles on my zuma and its modded out and im only on my second belt

something just doesnt seem right

check to make sure your belt is running true and that there is no damage to the rear sheaves that has caused the excessive wear
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

I'd be interested to know how the scooter performes after your change to the variator and clutch.
Thanks
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Variator change?

With the shorter belt I get better take off since it is in a higher gear ratio but top speed is down by 3 to 4 MPH.

My bike on take off spins high rpm then goes. I think I am due for a clutch next.
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

refering to your change of rollers as well as the change of contra spring.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

For me they hold the rpm higher so the engine stays on the pipe. Benefits are faster acceleration and better performance on hills. Gas mileage isn't as good. I have the prima pipe.