My Battery Was Stolen...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LunaP

My Battery Was Stolen...

Post by LunaP »

Yep. You read it right. :rofl:

Lokky and I walked out to scoot me to work this morning. We've been taking my Buddy because his front brake is a lil wonky atm and his new tires haven't been put on yet.

Walking up, the first thing we noticed is a black square piece of plastic on the ground, which confused and distracted us. "What is this, this is weird?" (Haha) THEN I look at the Buddy. Bolts are up, floor mat is peeled back, black and red wires are visible. Sure enough, battery hole is empty. :?

No damage, they didn't mess with anything else. Lokky's Stella was parked in the same space right beside me, and it wasn't touched. However, the Aprilia Mojito that is the reason we are transiently parked in visitor parking at the complex (long story, will post it in another post if anybody is interested) was parked in the space adjacent to us, and it had most of the bolts out of the floorboard... although we didn't want to mess with it to see if the battery was actually missing from it.

I'm super lucky (again) because it (again) could have been so much worse. Whoever did it knew the scoots were there, knew they wanted the battery, knew enough about them to know where the batteries were, how to get them- so I am sure the scoots had been cased a few times, and being down in the visitor parking away from the front of the apartment building makes me mad :evil: (again, separate long story). BUT... at least it wasn't an attempted theft of the entire scoot, complete with damage, hotwire, broken column, or a successful theft. :shock:

So I've filed a police report, dealt with insurance, called Scoot Richmond, figured out what I'm doing, all that jazz. Scoot Richmond said the battetry that comes stock is expensive but they also carry a much less inexpensive brand that will only run me 50- which means I don't have to worry about an insurance claim, which is fantastic. Had it been more that 100, I would have been forced to use up and reset me free $100 from the 'vanishing' deductible'- and I'd really rather keep saving that up in case something super not good were to happen.

So, my worry now is that whoever did this may just come back and do it again after I've replaced the battery- I can't afford to continually shell out $50 for new batteries, and even once we get the parking decals back on and park up by the building, it will no longer be right up front where the cameras by the front door were. Our scoots were NEVER touched until we were made to move away from the front door of the building (and into the view of the street).

Lokky mentioned tamper-proof bolts... does such a thing exist? How costly are they? Would the fit on the Buddy and work for such a purpose? Does anybody have any experience with how tamper-proof they actually are?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

tamper proof bolts and screw are only useful as long as someone doesn't have the right removal tool. the tools are not available at hardware stores but harbor freight sells a kit. like any other security device, it slows down and deters. but might not stop. i'd think this is a one time fluke kinda deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-3 ... 95680.html

i think this is the first time of someone stealing a battery. flipping nuts.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

How much are the original OEM batteries?

Tamper proof bolts do exist. Basically with a regular screw driver, you can only screw them inwards (clockwise) and cannot unscrew them without a special tool. These special tools though do exist and probably you can buy them at a hardware store. However, not sure how common it is for an average thief to have this in his/her arsenal.

Sorry to hear about this.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

My husband had used these tamper proof screws to screw on his license plates. They were a pain to remove without the special tool but in the course of maybe about 45 minutes, with a lot of effort and sandpaper, he/we were able to remove the screws to put on the new license plates even though we didn't have special tools.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

You stay classy, Richmond!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lostmycage wrote:You stay classy, Richmond!
I know, RIGHT??

:headache:

If they aren't too expensive, I may get some tamper-proof bolts just for the added defense, even if you can buy the kits. At least then if the theif tries again, he/she will at least have to go spend the damn money to buy the tools if they want my battery that darn bad!

Everybody's reaction has basically been "MAN that's weird" *scratches head* Even Chelsea, local Scoot Richmond wonder woman. So I have to assume it is a single person, and hopefully they wanted it for their own personal use and there won't be a subsequent rash of scooter battery thefts (we still haven't determined if the Aprilia's battery is missing- the owner doesn't use the poor thing most of the time, we were going to ask the office to contact him, we know his first name and the floor he lives on... Lokky hasn't had a chance due to a stomach bug and I haven't made it back home yet, so I guess tomorrow).

EDIT to ask... I see where I can but the tools and kits to remove the bolts and screws... where do I get the actual bolts? I am not seeing any for sale on the Lowe's or Home Depot website- should I be going by my local security specialty shop for such a thing?
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

I would think that "PinHex" type would be the easier to find and the tool is simple.

Here is an example http://www.securityfasteners.net/Pin-He ... ducts.html

It's a hex head /allen with a pin.

There are also Torx with a pin, I have a set of the keys but no screws. Surf for Torx security screws.

Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I'd get a Zena disk lock with alarm before tamper proof screws.
I have read many posts of damage done to scooters/vehicles when the thief couldn't get what he/she was after. A disk lock probably costs about the same as a busted battery cover and floor board.

Get both if you wanna splurge :)
The screws are very inexpensive.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lil Buddy wrote:I'd get a Zena disk lock with alarm before tamper proof screws.
I have read many posts of damage done to scooters/vehicles when the thief couldn't get what he/she was after. A disk lock probably costs about the same as a busted battery cover and floor board.

Not so sure about the Xena. All it takes to get the the battery is lift up the mat and unscrew the screws- I am not sure that's enough to set off a Xena. I always lock the steering column, so I think a thief would have to tip the bike over or try to lift it altogether to set it off- and if they are doing those things to it, they aren't just trying to steal my battery. I have a non-alarm disc lock already.

Somebody in my club suggested that the tamper-proof screw may not be a good idea because if somebody wants the battery that bad they may just rip them out, since the screws are set in plastic it may cause more damage than protection.

I personally think that not being able to unscrew it quickly may be enough to deter- one would need to come prepared with something to pry and crack the battery cover if I installed tamper-proof screws. I could see a good chance in a thief saying to himself "screw it" when he figured out he couldn't easily unscrew- the parking lot is well lit and from here on out we'll be parking closer to the door than where we were- even late at night on weekdays there is usually some foot traffic through the front door of the building until at least 1 or 2am.

The only other thing we can think of to do is to make it so that it's easy for me to unhook my battery and carry it inside. But I kind of don't want to start having to do this. PITA. Also... I don't really want to get in the habit of taking apart my damn bike and taking it into my apartment in pieces, adding pieces one by one as they are threatened :scream:. I am really kind of thinking/hoping this was a one-time thing, and that they will not come back- they screws were an inexpensive 'just in case' afterthought to reassure me for a bit.

Maybe I'll make the battery portable and carry it in for a while, like over the winter- long enough for robber to forget about it and move on. I'll be able to tell if they try again.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

wow thats a tough break. of all things to steal

i have nothing to offer except to say i think it sucks and now am thinking of my own battery. i mean some people will steal anything that isn't tied down

nice thread. will implement some of the preventive measures brought up itt before i find myself kick starting one lonely 'morn

hell man i don't even think i could i have never kick started anything in my life 'cept my own ass :P

edit: ALARM LOCK

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Patrol-JB5593 ... 378&sr=8-1
Last edited by JHScoot on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

http://amzn.com/B00000J4DV Something like this might be worth looking at. It's a cable lock with these sticky pads you can use to secure the battery to the enclosure.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Ethan Allison wrote:http://amzn.com/B00000J4DV Something like this might be worth looking at. It's a cable lock with these sticky pads you can use to secure the battery to the enclosure.
Hmmmmmmmm

Could be useful. I'd like to see exactly how big the sticky pads are (has to be thin enough to fit under floormat) and how easily I can snake the cable in and out for when I don't need to lock it up.

JH, that alarm lock is neato, but I'm afraid it won't help me much here.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

LunaP wrote:

Not so sure about the Xena. All it takes to get the the battery is lift up the mat and unscrew the screws- I am not sure that's enough to set off a Xena. I always lock the steering column, so I think a thief would have to tip the bike over or try to lift it altogether to set it off- and if they are doing those things to it, they aren't just trying to steal my battery. I have a non-alarm disc lock already.

Somebody in my club suggested that the tamper-proof screw may not be a good idea because if somebody wants the battery that bad they may just rip them out, since the screws are set in plastic it may cause more damage than protection.

I personally think that not being able to unscrew it quickly may be enough to deter- one would need to come prepared with something to pry and crack the battery cover if I installed tamper-proof screws. I could see a good chance in a thief saying to himself "screw it" when he figured out he couldn't easily unscrew- the parking lot is well lit and from here on out we'll be parking closer to the door than where we were- even late at night on weekdays there is usually some foot traffic through the front door of the building until at least 1 or 2am.

The only other thing we can think of to do is to make it so that it's easy for me to unhook my battery and carry it inside. But I kind of don't want to start having to do this. PITA. Also... I don't really want to get in the habit of taking apart my damn bike and taking it into my apartment in pieces, adding pieces one by one as they are threatened :scream:. I am really kind of thinking/hoping this was a one-time thing, and that they will not come back- they screws were an inexpensive 'just in case' afterthought to reassure me for a bit.

Maybe I'll make the battery portable and carry it in for a while, like over the winter- long enough for robber to forget about it and move on. I'll be able to tell if they try again.

nah, the xena goes off with very little movement. if you set it at the top of your disc brake it's the most sensitive and the slightest jiggle will set it off. attach it to the bottom it's the least sensitive. but even set at the bottom, I'm pretty sure taking the battery would set it off. anyone moving your scooter - even an inch - in any direction will set it off.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

jijifer wrote:
LunaP wrote:

nah, the xena goes off with very little movement. if you set it at the top of your disc brake it's the most sensitive and the slightest jiggle will set it off. attach it to the bottom it's the least sensitive. but even set at the bottom, I'm pretty sure taking the battery would set it off. anyone moving your scooter - even an inch - in any direction will set it off.

That is good to know, but there are other problems with the Xena... I have to HOPE that the alarm is enough to scare 'im away. I'm on the third floor, and I'm not waking up... neither is anybody else in the building, everybody is used to the trains going by (and announcing their presence with loud horns) at any hour of the day or night. Car alarms in the parking lot do not necessarily get noticed and turned off in the night.

If it were to get noticed... unless it scared the burglar away before he was able to get the battery or he decided to stop trying entirely, I'd still have a missing battery, I just would have had to call 911 instead of the non-emergency number, yes?

I just can't justify spending 70 or 80 on a Xena. Maybe if something ever happens to my current disc lock, sure. But right now there's no reason. I have a disc lock already and don't have almost 100 to drop on an extra lock on top of battery replacement.

My Dad suggested sharpie on the battery top or cover (I have a silver sharpie) saying "Battery is traceable." It's totally a bluff, but if the burglar second guesses himself for even a second he may stop what he's doing and not risk it.

"Battery is traceable, mother******"
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

If your head is anywhere near it, the volume of the Zena is high enough to make you forget how to use a screwdriver.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lil Buddy wrote:If your head is anywhere near it, the volume of the Zena is high enough to make you forget how to use a screwdriver.
I promise it's not louder than the trains- the tracks edge the parking lot not 25 yards from where the scoots were parked. When they DO wake me up, it's always at the buttcrack of dawn and it makes me want to kill myself. :cry:

(first world problems)
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

Don't want the screws? Don't want to spend big bucks?

Walmart has a scooter cover for less than $30 and this cover alarm is $17.95+ shipping.

http://motorcycle-gadgets.com/viewitem. ... ductid=141
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

My school has some electronics and things locked up with some kind of sticky lock thing. They're maybe half an inch thick, and you could probably cut out a house for the pad out of your foamy block if there isn't enough room.
vabeancounter

Post by vabeancounter »

Sorry for your loss but if you live in the city and can't put your scoot inside you will probably continue having problems. Same person may come back soon wanting a new battery. I would plan on moving if possible to suburbia or a place where you can put your scoots inside.
jd

Post by jd »

One of the things that used to bug me about my TGB Laser R5 was that I had to take out about a dozen screws before I could remove the aluminum floor board and even get to the battery box cover. It was a royal pain.

Based on your story, however, maybe it wasn't so bad after all. The screws came out easily enough, but it took time, something of which a thief often doesn't possess much. On the Buddy, it's a thirty-second operation to pull up the mat, take out the two screws, cut the wires and pull out the battery.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

LunaP wrote:
Lil Buddy wrote:If your head is anywhere near it, the volume of the Zena is high enough to make you forget how to use a screwdriver.
I promise it's not louder than the trains- the tracks edge the parking lot not 25 yards from where the scoots were parked. When they DO wake me up, it's always at the buttcrack of dawn and it makes me want to kill myself. :cry:

(first world problems)
i have to attest to Lil Buddy's statement - too many early mornings groggily going to start my ride and having to kneel down and disarm that thing - holy CRAP does it hurt the ears!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Take the bolts that hold the battery cover to the hardware store to check the size and threading, then order some security screws online. Be sure not to get one way screws (you see them on bathroom stall walls).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

LunaP wrote:

(first world problems)
I live 150yds from a train track and commuter station. I'm on the 2nd floor. The noise of just the passing trains is not enough to cover up the xena scream. If they are blowing their horns, yeah that'd cover it up. Only one kind of train stops at the station - the commuter - so the rest plow through blowing their horns. But the horns are only a matter of seconds long where the xena goes off for 5 or so minutes.

While I don't notice the trains all day and night, I always hear my xena because it's not sound I hear so much that I can tune it out.

but someone stealing your battery would have their ear just a foot away, it would be screaming at them the whole time. It's very, very unnerving. I wanted to throw it out the window trying to get the battery in (now they ship them with the battery installed - whew)

It isn't cheap but it's just one more thing that helps. Thieves prefer to be anonymous so something screaming at them will likely call attention to them. Whether anyone pays attention or stops them is another story but you can hear 120db scream from xena when a train is passing and from the 2nd floor of a bldg for sure.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kickstart, FTW?

At the very least, you're the first person here to report a battery theft. Congrats! (?)

I'd think someone would need to know where to look for the Buddy battery to jack one like this. Not sure where the Mojito battery is, but I don't think it's under the floorboard like a Buddy.

To get to the Stella battery, they'd have to get under the seat to release the cowl or make a lot of noise and spend a lot of time prying it off.

Still, a freaking $60-$80 battery! I won't commit a crime for anything valued at under $500. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jd

Post by jd »

ericalm wrote:
Still, a freaking $60-$80 battery! I won't commit a crime for anything valued at under $500. :)
Such a snob. :P
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Wow, I thought I was the only one that ever experienced this. When My wife, Carol , and I lived in Baltimore, someone stole the brake "banjo" bolt off of her nitehawk650 (its a 12 dollar bolt at a dealer). Yup, stole the BOLT. No front brakes and had to rebleed the front brakes thanks to one scumbag...

Sorry to hear, but at least its a cheap fix. You are probably safe. They got a new battery and won't be back till the need another. SKIP the tamper proof bolts, because then the thief will cut your cables to get it :(...Good luck.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I friend of mine once had a tail light stolen off her Nissan Pathfinder. Pretty clear that someone was out trolling for that exact part for that exact car. Maybe they'd seen her driving and followed her home. Or just drive neighborhoods, looking for one. Weird.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

you know, maybe using tamper proof screws in the plastic battery cover lid would be worth a try, just to make 'em work harder :) .... I dunno, I HATE thieves... Sorry
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I'm not saying that a Xena is louder than a train, just saying I wouldn't want to try using my fine motor skills when it's screaming in my ear.

And I think it's plenty loud enough to scare off an unsuspecting (or even a suspecting) thief.

That's all.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:Kickstart, FTW?

At the very least, you're the first person here to report a battery theft. Congrats! (?)

I'd think someone would need to know where to look for the Buddy battery to jack one like this. Not sure where the Mojito battery is, but I don't think it's under the floorboard like a Buddy.

To get to the Stella battery, they'd have to get under the seat to release the cowl or make a lot of noise and spend a lot of time prying it off.

Yay! Do I get a gold star?

Yeah, we still don't know for sure whether they successfully made off with the Mojito's battery. But I agree that they def seemed to know a decent amount about scoots- they knew getting to the Stella's battery would take too much effort and like you said, they knew exactly how to get to the Buddy's.

It still kind of makes me lol... battery? For really? I'd be singing the praises of a kickstart right now... but... I kind of can't drive anyway :lol:
Lil Buddy wrote:I'm not saying that a Xena is louder than a train, just saying I wouldn't want to try using my fine motor skills when it's screaming in my ear.

And I think it's plenty loud enough to scare off an unsuspecting (or even a suspecting) thief.

That's all.
I know... it's just, it's a whole bunch of compounded reasons why I can't justify spending the almost 100 on the 2nd disc lock atm. In the end a Xena certainly couldn't HURT anything... but it just can't happen for me right now anyway.
viney266 wrote:you know, maybe using tamper proof screws in the plastic battery cover lid would be worth a try, just to make 'em work harder :) .... I dunno, I HATE thieves... Sorry
That's what I was thinking to... that the added difficulty would hopefully just make them go "aw, screw it". But you mentioned they would cut cables? What cables and how would that allow them access to the compartment? I must take this into account in my preventative measures...
vabeancounter wrote:Sorry for your loss but if you live in the city and can't put your scoot inside you will probably continue having problems. Same person may come back soon wanting a new battery. I would plan on moving if possible to suburbia or a place where you can put your scoots inside.
Currently I don't have much choice, for many reasons which I do not feel like going into (mostly because it would entirely hijack the thread). I have personal, practical, and life-situation reasons why I am staying with Lokky and choosing to commute to work in the West End. Mind you, we are not in a specifically terrible part of downtown- we're on the edge of the VCU campus.

Picking up and moving everything we own is not something we would do simply because my $50 battery got stolen once. He's lived in this apartment building for 1.5 years before I met him, with the Stella, no problem- we hope to get the parking situation sorted, return to parking out of street view and nearer to the building and foot traffic again, and then things should be settled. Unless for some reasons thefts or vandalizations continue, moving would be a slightly drastic reaction to a battery theft, IMHO.

That being said... we do plan on living together and he is graduating this spring. We have no idea where that will take us- California, Williamsburg, or sticking around here- if we stick around here, we may move out of the city somewhere. Not a hint of a clue yet.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

LunaP wrote:
viney266 wrote:you know, maybe using tamper proof screws in the plastic battery cover lid would be worth a try, just to make 'em work harder :) .... I dunno, I HATE thieves... Sorry
That's what I was thinking to... that the added difficulty would hopefully just make them go "aw, screw it". But you mentioned they would cut cables? What cables and how would that allow them access to the compartment? I must take this into account in my preventative measures...
The battery cables/wires. Although, if you make it so the battery cannot come out easily, there wouldn't be a reason to cut the cables anyway... just because the thief wouldn't be able to get the battery out either way. Then you just end up with cut cables, and your battery still sitting there in it's compartment.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ exactly, the battery cables. At first I was thinking tamper proof screws on the battery itself; and they would just cut battery cables. But, on the battery box lid they might be a good simple thing to try to deter them.
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

yeah thats a crack head move....i had my car battery stolen....and it was 15 years old. they will do anything to get some cash to buy some more crack.

i do think a cover and an alarm are a great investment if you are parking it outside. i like the gorilla alarm, because the model i have has a little remote arm / disarmer, and it rings when someone touches your scoot. its on amazon for like...150...i think. maybe thats out of your price range but its a good alarm.
WOT = Way Off Topic
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

There are two Gorillas - the 8017 has the two-way pager with the LCD display to show you which sensor has gone off, and the 8007 which has a basic arm/disarm/configure remote. The 8017 theoretically has a longer range, but that's the $150 model. I got the 8007 at Amazon for about $69, and installed it in under an hour.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. :(

There's a picture of a spanner bolt on steps 39 & 40 of my post on installing a Gorilla alarm.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Luna and I are now members of an elite club. Stolen battery club. This is the one time I found a reason to curse my choice of scooter. The 170i has no kickstart.

Looking into secure-bolts now...
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow. That really stinks. Sorry to hear about this. Maybe in addition to the security screws it wouldn't hurt to look into a Gorilla alarm also, as it might (or might not) be touchier than a Xena. No one is going to want to take the time to remove your battery with that screaming in their ear.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

So sorry Luna P... After everything else you and Lokky have been through. That really makes me angry. These days there are just way too many selfish low life's that just don't give a damn about anyone else or what someone else worked long and hard for. I live in the city... I like the Xena disc lock with alarm... You hear it, then you let the dogs out on them. Very effective.
96 Decibel Freaks
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Oh jeez Luna, with your rash of recent bad luck maybe something is telling you its time to move. I've started to listen to my inner voice and found that it has an intuition that can't be beat.
Things will get better, but yours is a rocky road to travel for now.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

sorry to hear about your battery being stolen. Hopefully the battery will drain on the stealer :twisted:
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

it would be almost comical if it weren't expensive and annoying. That 2nd battery I bought for the Kymco was $70, and if I had to do it regularly I would be really annoyed. At least that battery is locked in the pet carrier.

I guess they really did know that they could take the buddy battery in 10 seconds. I dunno which I find more disturbing, a missing battery or the fact that someone who rides scooters was willing to rip off another scooterist. Around here that would be grounds for all the scooter punks to show up with their tools to your house...
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

I see battery thefts all the time at work. They generally fall into two categories. Tweak harvesting every battery he can find to sell the core to a recycling place for $5, or you live in a neighborhood with a "car enthusiast" who thinks that hydralics on cars is still cool but who can't afford the batteries it takes to run them. Due to the fact that we are talkig about motorcycle batteries I am going to guess it was tweak and not the car guy who is still running around in MC Hammer style parachute pants.

Kyle