[NBR] SBS = Small Biz Saturday or Sometimes B&M Sucks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

[NBR] SBS = Small Biz Saturday or Sometimes B&M Sucks

Post by charlie55 »

Nice day today, and small business Saturday as well. So I broke out the Helix and headed over to my local Honda/Suzuki dealer to see if we could do a deal on a TU250x.

When I arrived, there wasn't a single customer in sight and the sales staff was busy doing nothing. So, I wandered around for a while looking for a floor model, but no dice. Went over to one of the sales guys (I guess that they don't approach potential customers at this dealership unless they come in with a C-note stapled to their forehead), and asked about the bike, saying that I was interested in buying one and possibly doing a trade on the Helix. Guy casually looks out the window at my ride, turns, does a couple of tappety-taps on his display, then tells me, "Yeah, we had a TU250 at the start of the season, but it was sold".

So, I just sorta stared at him for 15 seconds or so, waiting for something like, "But let's do some dealing here and see what we can come up with".

Nope, just a disinterested gaze on his part and dead silence.

Geez, what a baccala!

I've ordered OEM parts through these guys in the past, and it's a cause for celebration when they get half the order correct. Needless to say, I won't be spending locally this year.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Jeez... the kind of person I want to smack with something ridiculous.

I wanted to go out to dinner at a local restaurant tonight, but I can't drive and Lokky is busy drowning in homework.

We did go to our scoot shop and pick up a spark plug and Motul.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I had a similar experience at my local Honda place when I was looking at buying a Ruckus. I guess I should thank the sales guy for being such a @#$% because I'm sure glad I ended up with the Rattler instead.
Syd

Re: [NBR] SBS = Small Biz Saturday or Sometimes B&M Suck

Post by Syd »

charlie55 wrote:Nice day today, and small business Saturday as well. So I broke out the Helix and headed over to my local Honda/Suzuki dealer to see if we could do a deal on a TU250x.

When I arrived, there wasn't a single customer in sight and the sales staff was busy doing nothing. So, I wandered around for a while looking for a floor model, but no dice. Went over to one of the sales guys (I guess that they don't approach potential customers at this dealership unless they come in with a C-note stapled to their forehead), and asked about the bike, saying that I was interested in buying one and possibly doing a trade on the Helix. Guy casually looks out the window at my ride, turns, does a couple of tappety-taps on his display, then tells me, "Yeah, we had a TU250 at the start of the season, but it was sold".

So, I just sorta stared at him for 15 seconds or so, waiting for something like, "But let's do some dealing here and see what we can come up with".

Nope, just a disinterested gaze on his part and dead silence.

Geez, what a baccala!

I've ordered OEM parts through these guys in the past, and it's a cause for celebration when they get half the order correct. Needless to say, I won't be spending locally this year.
Sounds like our local most-everyting-but-Kawasaki-and-Harley dealers, a national chain which looks like it's trying to go the Power Automotive route, where all the independent dealers are bought up, combined and renamed. I either get completely ignored or overrun by floor walkers. Even when I have purchased from them I have left unsatisfied. It is my last choice; unfortunately they have some connection to the local BMW/Vespa dealer too. I won't mention the company name, but their initials are RideNow.

Good luck on the TU, it's a nice looking bike.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
uncleralph

Post by uncleralph »

I guess I am lucky. My local Honda dealer is a small mom and pop (literally) dealer that has been here forever. It is owned by a couple. The salesperson is a daughter/ daughter-in-law (I'm not sure which). The service guy is their son. I think the parts guy is related also. Even the 120 pound hairy dog that greets you at the door is part of the family.
TVB

Post by TVB »

uncleralph wrote:I guess I am lucky. My local Honda dealer is a small mom and pop (literally) dealer that has been here forever. It is owned by a couple. The salesperson is a daughter/ daughter-in-law (I'm not sure which). The service guy is their son. I think the parts guy is related also. Even the 120 pound hairy dog that greets you at the door is part of the family.
I've had some bad experiences with Mom-and-Pop businesses, where they really should have looked beyond Son and hired someone competent, but when they work, they work real well.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I had a mom and pop store in the burg, and I even bought a couple of bikes from them (+lots of parts and stuff), but they just seemed like they were playing to a certain group and the rest of us losers could go hang. They went out of business. If I go into a shop, and I actually want something and I get no response, I'm out and most times won't go back (except to look at the new models at the start of the year). You have the internet, and you can negotiate with a sales person via email if it comes down to it. Good luck on getting the wheels you want.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't know why the US TU-250Xs don't look like this one, but I wish they did. Still a good small bike! Much better looking than a Rebel 250 IMHO.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not to go too far astray from this thread, but since we're on the subject (whatever that may be :)), this is one bike I wish Harley (it's actually Italian) would bring back:

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Aermacchi Harleys are very cool. Find it hard to think they would ever import and rebadge bikes again.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

babblefish wrote:Not to go too far astray from this thread, but since we're on the subject (whatever that may be :)), this is one bike I wish Harley (it's actually Italian) would bring back:

You hit my dream bike right on the head (except that I prefer the SS version):

I've been on a 2-year quest for one of these, but so far they all fall into one of four categories:

- Basket case
- No title
- Way, way out of my price range
- So far away that the shipping costs kill the deal.

So, it's either the TU with a trade-in, or a small 70's CB outright. I'm pretty much forced to go ebay/craigslist since the pickings for vintage bikes in my immediate locale are miniscule. (Not enough barns and old-time hoarders).
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Well, if you like that one, check this one out:

And the best thing is, it's available now as a new bike - if you can afford one.

Aermacchi Racing in the Netherlands offers parts, kits and complete bikes.
www.aermacchi-racing.com
Not sure if they're still around though since 2004 was the last time their website was updated.

Regardless, would love a street version of this:

...or this:

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The TU has much better looks and style than many of the 250's out there. Good luck on your purchase. Sad that your local dealer is such a chump...I worked in that industry for years ( we were a "mom & pop") and I'LL bet someone has a leftover TU250 on their floor they are just itching to make a deal on. PERFECT time of year to buy...find one...sadly that IS your dealers job, but I guess they were too busy :roll:

I ran a successful business for 14 years thanks mostly to the likes of dealers like the one you were in. we closed our shop by choice BTw ( just a point of pride for me)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

charlie55 wrote:...I've been on a 2-year quest for one of these, but so far they all fall into one of four categories:

- Basket case
- No title
Just an FYI: if you find a bike that is 300cc or less and at least 15 years old, you can legally register it in Vermont without title (you don't have to be resident). Then turn around and register it in your home state. I've done this with several bikes now and it's a lot cheaper than dealing with ITS (who've been great in the past but now with registration fees sky-high across the country, not such a good deal).

Basically, don't let no title deter you as long as you are under the impression the bike is not stolen. The Vermont regulations are intended to deal with old, small bikes where owners have lost or didn't need title.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I would love to buy a TU250x. But doing business with the local Suzuki dealer is an experience somewhat akin to being gang-raped in prison. That's why, if I do buy a small-cc café racer-style motorcycle, it will be the SYM 150 Classic; the Tucson dealership, ScootOver, is a pleasure to do business with.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

siobhan wrote:
charlie55 wrote:...I've been on a 2-year quest for one of these, but so far they all fall into one of four categories:

- Basket case
- No title
Just an FYI: if you find a bike that is 300cc or less and at least 15 years old, you can legally register it in Vermont without title (you don't have to be resident). Then turn around and register it in your home state. I've done this with several bikes now and it's a lot cheaper than dealing with ITS (who've been great in the past but now with registration fees sky-high across the country, not such a good deal).

Basically, don't let no title deter you as long as you are under the impression the bike is not stolen. The Vermont regulations are intended to deal with old, small bikes where owners have lost or didn't need title.
Thanks for the tip. However, you haven't lived until you've tried to title a bike in NJ. If the sign-over date on the title is too old, that's a problem. If there's a smudge on the title, that's a problem. As for titling services, the MVC has caught on to that approach and tends to reject recent titles on old bikes. Not saying it can't be done, but it's an iffy proposition. It all depends upon which MVC office you go to, who the clerk is, and whether or not they're having a bad day.

Personally, I think that anal retentiveness about titles for old bikes is kinda stupid. Motor vehicle agencies have access to national databases, and should be able to spot a hot bike in a matter of seconds. As far as I'm concerned, if you've got a notarized bill of sale and a clean VIN, that should be enough. Just another money grab.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

charlie55 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. However, you haven't lived until you've tried to title a bike in NJ. If the sign-over date on the title is too old, that's a problem. If there's a smudge on the title, that's a problem. As for titling services, the MVC has caught on to that approach and tends to reject recent titles on old bikes. Not saying it can't be done, but it's an iffy proposition. It all depends upon which MVC office you go to, who the clerk is, and whether or not they're having a bad day.

Personally, I think that anal retentiveness about titles for old bikes is kinda stupid. Motor vehicle agencies have access to national databases, and should be able to spot a hot bike in a matter of seconds. As far as I'm concerned, if you've got a notarized bill of sale and a clean VIN, that should be enough. Just another money grab.
^^^ I see you have been in the MD. DMV,too LOL...Yeah, I totally agree. I have gone thru hell with a few vintage bikes
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

viney266 wrote:
charlie55 wrote:

^^^ I see you have been in the MD. DMV,too LOL...Yeah, I totally agree. I have gone thru hell with a few vintage bikes
Yeah, our MVC is something else. There's a story on another forum of a guy trying to title a BSA Starfire, for which already had a title from another state. MVC office turned him down because the WMA portion of the VIN did not match their list of approved manufacturers. He tried explaining that the list was for new, first time titling purposes, not retreads, and especially not for manufacturers that had been out of business for more than 3 decades. Long story short, it took him two months, during which he was tossed between the "special titles" division at MVC headquarters in Trenton, and the MVC office that denied him a title. After having had enough, he simply went to another local MVC office and was issued a title, no questions asked, in a matter of 15 minutes.

As we speak, I'm hondling a guy over an old CB, although it feels as if we're negotiating the price of 10 square blocks in midtown Manhattan.

If this falls through, I'm going to look into that Sym Wolf.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

PeterC wrote:I would love to buy a TU250x. But doing business with the local Suzuki dealer is an experience somewhat akin to being gang-raped in prison. That's why, if I do buy a small-cc café racer-style motorcycle, it will be the SYM 150 Classic; the Tucson dealership, ScootOver, is a pleasure to do business with.
No choice in the Suzuki in CA—don't sell them here and can't register a new one here. :(
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Really? California emissions BS?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

viney266 wrote:^^^ Really? California emissions BS?
I'm not sure if they even bothered testing the bike. Suzuki hasn't imported many from what I understand. For CA, they would have to add the evap system. They may have just decided it's not worth it.
Keys

Post by Keys »

PeterC wrote:I would love to buy a TU250x. But doing business with the local Suzuki dealer is an experience somewhat akin to being gang-raped in prison. That's why, if I do buy a small-cc café racer-style motorcycle, it will be the SYM 150 Classic; the Tucson dealership, ScootOver, is a pleasure to do business with.
Yep. Mike and Shelby and crew are the best!

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

They have an Aermacchi "Harley" on display at the Harley museum in Milwaukee… NO acknowledgment that it was Italian-made. Also, they have the Topper (harley's scooter) with the speedboats and golf carts in the section where they sheepishly talk about the sad AMF days of Harley, never mind that the last Topper was made several years before the AMF deal.

Aside from that, the Harley museum is pretty tasteful, for a Harley museum.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Back in the early '70s, I had a small Aermacchi Harley that I used for local errands. My wife referred to it as the "Hardly-Davidson."
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've got that "Blink. Blink." treatment at a local Honda dealership when I was trying to locate, ride and perhaps (most likely) buy a PCX. They had absolutely no interest in locating one for me, and literally told me to come back "in the Spring". Yeah right, and then barn find Reflex found me so, yeah, um, no thanks on that.

I'm still thinking of them for my new helmet next year though, because they have like 300 helmets in the house. Lots of gear, decent parts and service department, but new scoots? They just don't care.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com