How secure are topcases?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

teabow1

How secure are topcases?

Post by teabow1 »

I'm curious how secure topcases are. Say that I'm going shopping and need to leave a few items secured with the scooter, is the topcase a good place to do that for a few hours?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Certainly no more secure than a locked car. Less so, I would say. All it requires is a person with a hammer to either break the case or pop the lock.

But it's better than nothing and will keep out the 99%.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Hmm...that "secure" eh?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Items in the topcase are out of sight, so there is the 'out of sight out of mind' factor helping, but still, all the topcases are just plastic. And since 99% of the populace is (mostly) honest, the topcase is reasonably secure.

Is your research nearly complete, teabow1? Have you narrowed down you choices yet?
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Hey Syd, yeah I've narrowed my choices to the following and kinda in order:

1. Piaggio BV 300
2. Piaggio BV 250
3. Aprilia Sportcity 250

The Piaggio BV 350 is somewhere in there but the timing of when it arrives in the U.S. is likely not right for when I'd get one.

Regarding TopCase: I often imagine myself taking the scooter to a park and then I go running in the park. I don't like to carry my wallet or anything except for say a key with me when I run. Maybe the seat is a better place to keep the wallet and those things than a Topcase?
Syd

Post by Syd »

The BVs are nice looking scoots (who can't like a bike named Beverly?). But like most larger scoots, it doesn't fit my 34+" inseam. My coccyx (butt) wants to occupy the exact location of the step between low and high, making the seat uncomfortable. There is no SportCity in the Phx area at this time, so I can't say how it will fit.

So Peabody and I patiently wait for the Cruiser. Others call it Vapor, but I have faith.

Believe!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote:Certainly no more secure than a locked car. Less so, I would say. All it requires is a person with a hammer to either break the case or pop the lock.
In fact, a screwdriver will jimmy the lock just fine. Having said that, any kind of security is only a deterrant because it stops the honest person and slows down the crook. I would not leave anything of much value in a car in a public parking lot for an extended period either.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Um… secure?

Technically, not at all, really.

Yet I've never heard of one being broken into.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
paige

Post by paige »

I would imagine that being seen tossing your wallet and phone into the top case or under the seat would make it more attractive of a target.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

getting into the seat isn't too hard either so if anything is super valuable, don't leave it. Just like a car window could be broke, you don't generally leave valuables in there and not in plain sight, right?

That said, no one had tampered with either my seat or top case. My seat is pretty full. I keep foot pump in there as well as first aid kit and in "winter" rain pants. yeah, my wallet and phone could fit just about any time but I always want my phone on me so I never that. Same with my wallet. why lose the way you can call and pay for help should your scooter get taken :D

I keep my helmet in my topcase when parked so there's not much more room in there either.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

jijifer wrote:why lose the way you can call and pay for help should your scooter get taken :D
This is really the answer. You're probably more likely to have your entire scooter ripped off than having just the topcase broken into. So don't leave anything of value there. On the rare occasion that I might be unable to carry my entire wallet with me, I bring along only the absolute necessities, like my driver's license. That way, if someone took my scooter or broke into it (or my car, for that matter), the damage is minimized.[/quote]
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Thanks for the information!

Are there some TopCases that are known to be more secure than others? I don't mean those that come with alarms and such, but rather being more difficult to open.
Syd

Post by Syd »

teabow1 wrote:Thanks for the information!

Are there some TopCases that are known to be more secure than others? I don't mean those that come with alarms and such, but rather being more difficult to open.
You could probably strap this one on your scoot.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Haha. Not only would I have to strap this to the scooter, I'll have to weld it too. The case is as expensive as a 50cc ;-)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

teabow1 wrote:Are there some TopCases that are known to be more secure than others? I don't mean those that come with alarms and such, but rather being more difficult to open.
A topcase is only a thin plastic shell. None of them are really very secure. They just get things out of sight. Under the seat is certainly more secure, but can be readily broken into by anyone familiar with how the locking mechanism functions.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Top cases come in many different designs and qualities. The thin shelled little lock ones not so safe, you can easily pop them open. Higher quality (and of course more expensive) cases such as Givi and Shad are actually pretty tough and secure.

A quick story. At Amerivespa NOLA Bocettets rear rack snapped (again) when she was doing about 30 mph on a really rough road. The rack and top box, a Givi E35, went tumbling down the road. We circiled back and picked it up. The only damage was some scratches and the Givi sticker was torn off. The latch held, bought a new rack and remounted. It's a tough case with a good latching and locking system

Of course if someone wants something bad enough they are going to get it no matter what
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

BuddyRaton wrote:Of course if someone wants something bad enough they are going to get it no matter what
Sure, of course. That's expected. The same could be said of car trunks, and that doesn't prevent us from locking valuables in there when we're spending a couple of hours at a park, in a mall, or in the hospital.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I use a Givi and would have to second what BuddyRaton said. Just compare the latch/lock mechanism of a Givi to any of the cheaper topboxes and you'll understand. Even the hinge design is superior.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

There was recently a thread on the shoddy build of Vespa topcases. Piaggio also offers some topcases for their BV line among others. How are their topcases?

And another question is, how do Givi topcases compare to Shad?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teabow1 wrote:There was recently a thread on the shoddy build of Vespa topcases. Piaggio also offers some topcases for their BV line among others. How are their topcases?

The Vespa topcases aren't horrible; they're average, I'd say.

I think the Givis are a lot stronger and more durable, with better locks. Another to check out is Coocase, which has a built-in alarm system:

http://coocase.com/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

teabow1 wrote:There was recently a thread on the shoddy build of Vespa topcases. Piaggio also offers some topcases for their BV line among others. How are their topcases?

If you haven't already, this would be better asked at the sister site, MV.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The question was double posted on MV, and has garnered a fair number of responses there as well.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:

The Vespa topcases aren't horrible; they're average, I'd say.

I think the Givis are a lot stronger and more durable, with better locks. Another to check out is Coocase, which has a built-in alarm system:

http://coocase.com/
I have a Givi on the Buddy and a Moto Guzzi branded Givi on the Burgman. I almost bought a Shad and consider it pretty comparable to Givi, I just haven't actually used one.

One nice thing about the Givi is that you can easily remove the top box from the mount with the push of a button. Most have a handle so if you have valuables in it you can pop it off in a second and take it with you.

I have never heard of the coocase before but it looks worth checking out
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

When I have valuables I move my Capucian model of the Trunk Monkey Theft Retreival System from the pet carrier to the top box.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Trun ... _61121.htm
www.teamscootertrash.com

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Nothing is safe if anybody knows it's there. And the opposite is also true. That's why I like my PC800 so much. Has a big "trunk lid" that covers both panniers at once. And yes, somebody with a jimmy could easily get in.

About the most secure-looking MC containers I've ever seen are the big sheet metal thingies that some adventure touring bikes have.
Like these, for example:
http://www.happy-trail.com/
These are basically just ammo boxes.

I suppose you could rig some ammo box panniers to a scoot They come in different sizes and shapes and can be pretty cheap. Then again, something that looks more secure than average might just make a thief think there's something in there worth stealing.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Syd wrote:But it's better than nothing and will keep out the 99%.
Are you saying that only the US's richest Americans will steal sh-t from my scooter?! Those bastards! :D
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

No, that 1% was content stealing our jobs.