How And Where To Mount A GPS?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

How And Where To Mount A GPS?

Post by JHScoot »

Hey guys

I got a gps for Christmas from some nice people. It's this one

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen ... B003B3P2CY

I searched a couple of things and found some for motorcycles which either use handlebars or the mirrors to mount. I don't like the idea of either (its for a Kymco Agility which isn't suitable for handlebar mounting, and the mirror stem housing is sort of weak.where the threads / stems screw in, i mean

I figure some here have rigged up their own mount and may have some advice. Or maybe you can point me in the direction of a product that would suit my needs? I don't care where it mounts so long as i can see it. I wonder if I can just use the suction cup to mount it on TOP of the handlebars (lots of plastic the gps would lay flat). But I doubt it.

Any DIY ideas are welcome, or a quality product suggestion. I just want to be able to see it and for it not to fall.

Riding is riding
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I've got the TomTomXL, and its a nice unit. But IMO its really not suited for an excursion on the scoot. Your unit is very similar to mine and mounting is definitely an issue.
I would suggest that if you really, really have to mount it, try looking for some type of shock absorbing mounting system, possibly foam rubber and some type of cradle. You don't want a $150-$200 GPS to crash to the ground.
The only way I would have been able to mount mine stably would entail drilling into the plastics around the handlebars, something that I am not willing to do.
You may have already looked at this http://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Motor ... 862&sr=1-1

Or try this Google search http://www.google.com/search?q=motorcyc ... =0CIoBEK0E

Then there is this info guide http://researchanalyst.hubpages.com/hub ... g-Brackets

Good luck with your endevours, and Happy New Year.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Ram Mount!!!

I have one, it's awesome.

IMG_1350 by Luna-P

Ram Mounts are motorcycle rated, so you don't have to worry about them rattling and loosening. They sell the components separate from each other or in sets.

The problem with our scoots is that most (unless you have a Vino or Mojito, maybe) don't have actual handlebars that typical mounts will clamp to. This particular Ram Mount is made to bolt onto the same place that your mirror stem does, avoiding that problem altogether.

Order that arm, and the cradle for it (watch out, I linked you to an arm that has a diamond plate top- some have I think I square or circle plate... look up the cradle for your specific GPS and double check), and you have your whole GPS mounting system. My TomTom I can hear at its loudest setting at highway speeds, even if I can't see it- and a ziploc bag seems to do the trick for light rain.

:D
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I would say that GPS mounting is not the biggest problem: it is being able to hear the instructions. I bought a cheap used unit off Amazon that is waterproof. BUT....many of those bluetooth units do not actually connect to bluetooth helmets or earphones because bluetooth only interacts with phone to download traffic etc. The one I got has no bluetooth. I use regular earbud earphones under the helmet.
the holder is custom made out of plastic food container with holes for wires and zip-ties drilled out. It is definitely not the best solution but it was the cheapest
Attachments
gpscustombox_123.jpg
gpscustombox_123.jpg (79.3 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

I hesitated for a long time before I decided to mount my tomtom on the scooter. I've seen too many fall off. I finally went with a ram mount after several friends on my trip last summer had them. It fits securely onto the mirror and it isn't going anywhere. I don't listen to it while riding so I can't speak to the sound quality. I enjoy having it where i can see the route and would recommend the ram mount.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I guess for me, it's more a "why" than a "how" or a "where."

Google Maps has helped me plot the most ambitious of rides. MyTracks for the Android is also a handy tool, but I don't look at it while riding -- only when stopped.
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Like LunaP, I got a Ram mount for DWs Buddy 150 and it worked great. The Garmin NUVI color GPS was solid as a rock. HOWEVER, you could not see the screen in daylight. My old monochrome Magellan also in a Ram mount on my Kymco Yager 200 shows up great!

Karl
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Your choices on the scooter are a mirror mount or a windscreen post mount if you have a windscreen. Unless you have naked handlebars, that's about it.

You could bolt a mount to the bodywork, but if that plastic's stronger than the mirror stems, you're in trouble.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

awesome replies. thanks everyone i shall take it all into account. certainly puts me on the right path to a solution. and thanks for the pics for those who posted, and the links as well

happy holidays, all :)
Riding is riding
Point37

Re: How And Where To Mount A GPS?

Post by Point37 »

bump...

planning to mount a gps/phone holder on my 2013 buddy 125...i have bar end mirrors and no windscreen so i'm planning on picking up the following parts to mount on the non-throttle size mirror mount hole since the right side is reverse thread...would be mounting either a garmin nuvi 1350 or an iphone 8...mostly the garmin i imagine and plug it into the 12v port...anyone see any issues or any better options?...i figure the best options are either ram mount or quadlock and i don't want to have to deal with having a quadlock socket on my devices...i will just pull the xgrip and the arm off when not in use so they don't get stolen

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7BU

8mm bolt and lock washer from ace hardware
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

make sure to glue the rubber ends on and use the tether
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Here is a good quality 6 point holder that has everything you need to mount to your mirror base. It's a good deal for $20. I've had these on a couple of scooters in the past, and the quality is every bit as good as RAM: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Holder-M ... SwqARfwmho
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-25 9.51.04 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-03-25 9.51.04 AM.png (94.73 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Point37

Post by Point37 »

thanks...that does look like good option...vibration?...what is the base ball mount where it connects to the scooter made of?...i think the ram mount piece is aluminum...i guess if the ball size is the same i could just use the ram mount part and just use the rest of this mount...the thing i like about the ram is there is a knob on the arm so i can remove it easily if i don't want it on there
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

ended up going with the ram mount and picked up the 8mm bolt and lock washer at ace hardware...i added a regular washer to take up a little extra space as my bolt was a little long...i have not give it a run yet but it seems like it will work just fine...i can just remove the arm when i don't want it on, which i like