oops...new buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

oops...new buddy

Post by skully93 »

So I went to my local scoot shop for some new tires and exhaust fix on my Zuma 50cc. I had pretty much set my mind on saving a year and buying a 170i when I could.

Well, they had 3 internationals left. one in each color. The redncream one is pretty, but not my style. The St. Tropez is also awesome, and several people have them. The Italia...well, I'm sure they've sold some but I have yet to see another one. I test rode the 50 and 150. The 50 was brand new, hadn't been started in a while, and was kind of neglected. It sputtered a few times on me but once I got it running smooth, it was OK. It was not as fast or sporty as my Zuma 50cc, but it was a smooth ride to 35mph. I'm sure given time and break in it would get to 40. I only did it because it came in black, which is kinda my thing.

The 150 was ready to go. It scoffed at my need to go 30mph to test it. It giggled when I did a very fast and unexpected u-turn up a hill. It begged to play a little before the snow hit, so I rode it an extra mile before returning to the dealership. I had it go 50 for a short burst just because.

So, I kept asking questions about the 170i. Do you get them in? Has anyone bought one (a couple bought 2!)? blah blah blah. Finally he said "look, before I get one of those, I need to clear my stock of 150. So, I'll give you $400 off if you're serious". I got him to throw in the first service and some nice smelling gas treatment.

I named my new Italia Yoda. Unfortunately I drove it home in the sudden snow! Zumi the Zuma is probably ticked at me, as I put brand new tires on it and then promptly parked it, and Yoda is borrowing his cover until I can get another one.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hey, good for you. I bought my Italia in the winter, too, and it was painful waiting for snow and ice to clear. Warm dry days will eventually come, even to your altitude! :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thanks!

It should be fine again by Monday. We get snow on and off. It's early Spring I'm worried about!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Congrats! May you and Yoda have many, many fun miles to come. :D

Pix?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Congratulations!

Did you buy from Sportique? If so, which one?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sportique Englewood.

I wanted to warm it up a bit today, even though there is now way I'm driving on the icy roads. The battery was only 80% when I drove it home, so it was giving me some grief. The kickstart is stiff, so I figure I'll let it warm up tomorrow and try again. I don't want that battery going dead on me.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

So very cool. 150's are quite a machine. Have fun and be safe.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thanks! it was a tough choice between the Italia and St. Tropez. I'm more of a black/sportstyle person, but the avacado green was just to awesome to pass up, esp. for the discount.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Run-don't-walk to jafrum.com and get a Battery Tender Jr. : http://www.jafrum.com/Accessories/Batte ... ATTEND12JR $19.95 at last look.

The charging system on the Buddy is somewhat anemic - it will keep a battery charged with frequent riding, but with just electric starts and a period of idling, that's not really enough to replace what the cold weather and the electric start takes out of the battery.

Rather than using the alligator clamps, a lot of folks hard-wire in the extra pigtail and tuck the connector end out of one of the holes in the battery box so that it can be connected quickly to the charger unit. On the newer Buddys with a 12v socket, you can order the 12v plug option for the BTJr and charge it right through that socket. A few more bucks, but you don't have to reach under the scooter. This won't work with the full-sized standard Battery Tender - the 12v socket is protected by a small 1A fuse, and while the Jr. charges at .75A, the standard BT pushes about 2A.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Congrats!!! Italias are awesome. 8)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Thanks! now I won't feel so bad if you ask to meet in the middle, sine I can go faster than 35mph! we should definitely organize some fun rides when the weather warms up.
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Skully, I will GUARANTEE you will not regret the 150! The Zuma can fume all it wants....

Karl
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

but that 150 will still be slower then a good zuma
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
izark47

Post by izark47 »

Congrats!!! Force feel you do!
Born to be Mild!!!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

JMK, the only way a 50cc Zuma is touching the 150cc Buyddy is heavy modification. From the zumaforums we're both on, it's perfectly doable and enjoyable. However on that little thing it gets half the gas mileage and many times the stress on the engine. I don't think you'll get 20k out of a stage 6 Zuma without a lot of finesse, which I don't have. Also, for the same amount of money I'd put into it, the cost difference is already at....buy a bigger bike that's meant for 65mph.

By getting the Buddy and keeping the Zuma for my wife/small trips, I'm making sure that both have long and happy lives. The other reason: I got a stupidly good deal by bartering/buying a closeout model. Come spring if Angela has no interest I'll easily sell it for what I have paid + new tires.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

skully93 wrote:Thanks! now I won't feel so bad if you ask to meet in the middle, sine I can go faster than 35mph! we should definitely organize some fun rides when the weather warms up.
Yeah I'm looking forward to exploring once it's warmer. This whole, warm day, cold day, warm day, cold day thing is frustrating! I was all set to do some riding this weekend and then that little snow storm and resulting icy roads killed that idea!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Buddy! Buddy! Buddy! Woohoo! :D
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Great "I just went to the store for milk and eggs" story. Hope you get many fun filled miles.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Took Yoda out for a 20 mile varied trip yesterday. It was really cold in the morning but mid day it was riding weather, at least for a bit. I was easy on it for break in, but couldn't resist a couple of acceleration and near top speed tests. Gets to 55mp indicated without trying. I'm sure it will get more later on and could have pushed it, but that's for several months from now :P.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

my local dealer has an '11 Italia and I wanted the 150cc engine, but it costs more than I can afford so I am getting a leftover '09 Buddy 125 & trading in my Rattler 110; if I need something bigger to ride I've got my used '08 Buell Blast moto
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

What scent did you get for the fuel treatement? I hope not the weed scented one. LOL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

oof, no!

Root Beer! I have heard of a bacon and also a french fries one, but can't find them at the moment. I'll be waiting for warmer weather to use them anyway.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Congrats on a good deal. I always liked the 2 tone green, and I love the green racing striped 170i, too.

way to go saving $400 ,too. Keep the battery on a charger and fuel stabilizer in the tank till spring. Then you will be riding every day or two!

Root beer flavored huhh? I GOTTA look this up. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Uh, I ride most days. We did get 9" of snow a couple weeks back, followed by 60 degree days. I didn't ride due to the ice on the roads. Otherwise.....pfft.

There's always the threat of ridiculous rains in the spring too that could keep me from riding, but those are short lived.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sweet! I try to ride all year,too. 40 degrees feels great January! we just had a 60 degree weekend here as well.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?