There's No Motor In My Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AmJag

There's No Motor In My Scooter

Post by AmJag »

:cry: I'm in desperate need of a Buddy 125 motor!

I've looked at some chinese Gy6's but am hesitant to order a motor that I don't know for sure will bolt up and run.

I can't find a parts bike on craigslist and I'm running out of options.
:evil:

Anyone know where I can get some vroom vroom? :?:
Attachments
This is the closest Gy6 motor I could find.<br />150cc Short Case 4-Stroke GY6 157QMJ Scooter Engine with Automatic CVT
This is the closest Gy6 motor I could find.
150cc Short Case 4-Stroke GY6 157QMJ Scooter Engine with Automatic CVT
150cc Short Case 4-Stroke GY6 157QMJ Scooter Engine with Automatic CVT.gif (15.93 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

are you working with a dealer or DIY? Has your dealer contacted Genuine? an entire motor is going to be quite the pretty penny if you're going OEM. if its a few parts broken; why not replace what is broken?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Kaos is very knowledgable about questions like this. You may want to PM him and see what he can tell you about fitting generic GY6 type motors into Buddy frames.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

yeah, they're not super complex, so you might try getting someone to assist with a rebuild rather than replacing the motor. Could be some key pieces, and you'd be amazed at the cost savings.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yes, one of the simplist motors I have ever worked on. Not bad ata ll. Do you have a broken motor? or is it missing altogether?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you talked to all of the local dealers? They may have a totaled B125 or know of some. They're not all that uncommon, unfortunately.

Try University Vespa/Vespa Dallas, but also Moxie in Colleyville and Garner's Classic in Cleburne.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AmJag

Post by AmJag »

Thanks everybody!
A brand spanking new Gy6 motor is around $400 and I already rebuilt just the top end for $350.

I'm looking for a used OEM motor or advice with the Gy6.

MonsterGy6.com has the new motor I'd buy, except that it's $100 more at Monster.:evil:

I'll try Colleyville and Cleburn for wrecks.:roll: Vespa Dallas is looking up the OEM price for me.

I'll check with Kaos too.

Thanks again, wish me luck!!! :shock:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I would check here

topic20511.html

here
topic20226.html

here
topic20748.html

and I would post a wanted ad on scoot.net
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
AmJag

Post by AmJag »

Thanks BuddyRaton! I'll see if they pan out.
AmJag

Post by AmJag »

By the way I have a Buddy 125cc motor, with a NEW Top End (cylinder and piston), that would be a cheap fix to rebuild the bottom end if anyone wants it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ahh, thats why I've been getting question PMs the last couple of days ;)
Not that I mind, I've always been happy to help, and its a good excuse to get back on and say hello to the gang over here... I'm finally getting outa the slump of mad work that's been swamping me for the last couple of months which means I've got a big chunk of cash coming, so hopefully I'll get time to finish the Voodoo Buddy.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Kaos wrote:... I'm finally getting outa the slump of mad work that's been swamping me for the last couple of months which means I've got a big chunk of cash coming, so hopefully I'll get time to finish the Voodoo Buddy.
Good to hear from you Kaos. I'd been wondering where you went. Hope all is well. Cheers.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Kaos wrote:... I'm finally getting outa the slump of mad work that's been swamping me for the last couple of months which means I've got a big chunk of cash coming, so hopefully I'll get time to finish the Voodoo Buddy.
Good to hear from you Kaos. I'd been wondering where you went. Hope all is well. Cheers.
Just been insanely busy with work lately, culminating in this last week where I had 20 hour days every single day. Kinda makes it hard to do much of anything else. That project is done as of today though, so I should get a breather :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Welcome back to the outside world! :P

I was wondering what you were up to since I hadn't seen any recent posts.

What type of work are you in that has kept you so busy? :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

michelle_7728 wrote:Welcome back to the outside world! :P

I was wondering what you were up to since I hadn't seen any recent posts.

What type of work are you in that has kept you so busy? :)
Thanks Michelle :)

I'm a network engineer for a big telephone company. We recently bought out two very big competitors and the election calling season is starting, so those two things combined meant that I had to quadruple our entire infrastructure in just a couple of months. Its been kinda hectic :)
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

@Kaos

It wouldn't be CenturyLink would it?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:@Kaos

It wouldn't be CenturyLink would it?
No sir, CenturyLink is one of our customers though. We don't deliver to end users, we're a carrier interconnect. We move traffic around for other carriers.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Holy Crap a Kaos sighting, can it be?
Welcome back buddy, and congrats on finishing what sounds like a huge work project!

Now all we need is Krustyburger to pop back on and all will be right with the world....
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."