broken helmet vs no helmet? this helmet probably broken?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slusher5

broken helmet vs no helmet? this helmet probably broken?

Post by slusher5 »

I'm guessing a broken helmet would be better in the event of a crash, but wearing a broken helmet would give me some piece of mind which might lead to a crash...

What are your thoughts? I took a spill today trying to improve my cornering. It was raining so I went to an empty parking garage and after like 5 minutes I took a corner and hit some dust or something. I'm completely fine. Here is picture of helmet,
ImageImage

my next helmet going to be a full face =P haha
anyone have recommendations for good ones around $100?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Get a new helmet now. There is a big sale going on at Motorcycle-Superstore.com. Don't mess around with your noggin'.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

I would encourage you to wear the damaged helmet... to a store where you can buy one that is not damaged. :)
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

thanks guys,

I know broken is bad, but until the new one is shipped or til I go to a store.. better to wear this than go without?

EDIT--- OOH DANG, good prices on bell helmets. is Bell a good brand? I can't help but think of them as being what I'd find at walmart if walmart sold MC helmets
Last edited by slusher5 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Yes, Motorcycle Super Store has a lot of choices. here is the link to all full-face under $125. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... 0-24-1-1-1

Most qualify for free shipping. I have bought 2 helmets from them and they're awesome.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

slusher5 wrote: EDIT--- OOH DANG, good prices on bell helmets. is Bell a good brand?
Think again, Bell has very high rating, higher than HJC, and (I hate to admit it) higher than my Suomy Spec 1r, according to this British site: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

+10 on all previous post.... I digress though, It's good to hear your o.k.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

ohh this is stupid but,... will a medium or large full face fit in the buddy compartment?
TVB

Post by TVB »

slusher5 wrote:I know broken is bad, but until the new one is shipped or til I go to a store.. better to wear this than go without?
Unquestionably. A bad helmet is better than no helmet.

I can't speak to how well they perform in a crash (because I haven't), but I own two Bell helmets, and both are comfortable, practical, and affordable. Bell helmets are widely sold (maybe even by W*l-M*rt), mostly because they've been in the business for so long... not because they're bad helmets.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

TVB wrote:
slusher5 wrote:I know broken is bad, but until the new one is shipped or til I go to a store.. better to wear this than go without?
Unquestionably. A bad helmet is better than no helmet.

I can't speak to how well they perform in a crash (because I haven't), but I own two Bell helmets, and both are comfortable, practical, and affordable. Bell helmets are widely sold (maybe even by W*l-M*rt), mostly because they've been in the business for so long... not because they're bad helmets.
The "Walmart Crap" helmets were during a time when Bell was suffering from some brand re-engineering and some bean counter thought it would be a great idea to take Chinese poly helmets and brand them as Bell to the Big Blue Box. That little endeavor ended up having the reverse effect on their rep, and it seems that Bell listened. They've returned to their roots more or less, and even have gone back to fiberglass shells. From the new stuff I've seen, it's pretty decent quality and very solid construction. But, I've always been a fan of 'glass in a helmet

As far as a broken helmet being "better" than no helmet at all, I would personally never take that risk. I'll take a cab to the shop to get a new helmet. With the way cagers drive, it's roulette and not a commute. Some are cool with the risk, and it's a free country so that's cool! For me, I won't ride without a lid, solid jeans and good boots at minimum.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

slusher5 wrote:ohh this is stupid but,... will a medium or large full face fit in the buddy compartment?
My medium Hawk modular full-face fits just fine with some of my stuff in there (locks, gloves, cover and such), and my bf's XXL HJC modular ff fits leaving no room for anything else. I know sizes vary by brand, but I think you should be okay with any medium or large in there.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

rsrider wrote:
slusher5 wrote: EDIT--- OOH DANG, good prices on bell helmets. is Bell a good brand?
Think again, Bell has very high rating, higher than HJC, and (I hate to admit it) higher than my Suomy Spec 1r, according to this British site: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
Thats great to hear, I'm so buying this one..
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Sweet helmet :D . I went for the SNELL approved ICON Airframe Hayabusha (Silver) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx

Glad you found one you like, the super-store has great deals and they're awesome to work with. Good luck and I hope you never need it, other than looking cool :) .
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I just got this in an email from Motorcycle superstore.

Looks like a pretty generic coupon code to me, I hope it works for someone.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

dang.. wish I could of used that code =(