Tee Hee ;~)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

Tee Hee ;~)

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

How do I begin this?......... Well, I went to the store today and took about 30 minutes to get the few things I needed. I got back to my scooter and put my stuff up and geared up for the ride home. I put the key in, turned it to start, pulled on the left brake lever and pressed the start button, nothing :o . Pushed the button again nothing, at this point I'm begining to get concerned :? . I pulled up the floor mat to see if my battery was still there, still there :) . I sat and thought a minute on what could be wrong, I checked the turn signals and they worked, hmmm :? . I was perplexed and thought about calling my wife, if I had remebered to bring the stupid cell phone :P . So I thought about my options, when out of no where I noticed the "kill switch" had been activated, lol. While I was in the store someone thought it would be funny to flip the kill switch, it was :P . Now as I reflect, yes it was funny but it does bother me a little someone would mess with my scoot.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Are you sure you didnt inadvertently switch it? It would be kinda weird if someone did this, and I would guess it would be a person who rode 2 wheels also. I say if thats the case just laugh it off.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

This sounds like a good reason to get in the habit of using that kill switch. This has been discussed a number of times here, and, not surprisingly, there are differing opinions (what else is new around here, huh?). But, if I recall correctly, the MSF recommends shutting your scooter off with the kill switch and then turning the key off. The reasoning is that, in the event of an emergency, you'll be in the habit of quickly hitting the kill switch. Personally, that's how I do it - I always shut down with the kill switch, then the key. Bringing this back to your post, if you were in that habit, it wouldn't have thrown you when it was turned off.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

I only pull that trick with friends.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Under normal circumstances, meaning certain other brands of bike, I would wholeheartedly agree with the MSF and consider using the kill switch. On well-designed electrical systems, the kill switch kills ALL power to the bike, not just shunting or opening the ignition circuiit as found on the Buddy. If you dump your Buddy and spill gas, several electrical circuits, such as the flashers noted by the OP, are still energized even with the kill switch off, doing you absolutely no good towards reducing the risk of fire. Stopping the motor on a laid-down idling CVT Buddy doesn't even matter, as the drive wheel is off the ground.

All the kill switch does is act as another point of potential failure in an already-compromised electrical design. You are far more likely to damage the switch with over-use, furthering the chances of a no-start breakdown.

The ignition keyswitch, on the other hand, cuts off everything, including (stupidly) the hazard flashers. Far safer in the event of a spill.

Again, on my prior bikes, the kill switch cut off everything and as such was a safety feature. Much as I love my Buddy, its kill switch is more of a liability, inducing a false sense of security.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

PeteH wrote:Under normal circumstances, meaning certain other brands of bike, I would wholeheartedly agree with the MSF and consider using the kill switch. On well-designed electrical systems, the kill switch kills ALL power to the bike, not just shunting or opening the ignition circuiit as found on the Buddy. If you dump your Buddy and spill gas, several electrical circuits, such as the flashers noted by the OP, are still energized even with the kill switch off, doing you absolutely no good towards reducing the risk of fire. Stopping the motor on a laid-down idling CVT Buddy doesn't even matter, as the drive wheel is off the ground.

All the kill switch does is act as another point of potential failure in an already-compromised electrical design. You are far more likely to damage the switch with over-use, furthering the chances of a no-start breakdown.

The ignition keyswitch, on the other hand, cuts off everything, including (stupidly) the hazard flashers. Far safer in the event of a spill.

Again, on my prior bikes, the kill switch cut off everything and as such was a safety feature. Much as I love my Buddy, its kill switch is more of a liability, inducing a false sense of security.

Interesting... See what I mean? Everyone has an opinion :D. You bring up excellent points. Personally, flipping the kill switch and then reaching for the key has become a single habit for me, so I think I'd probably do both in the event of an accident. As far as damaging the kill switch goes, I have to admit that mine appears to be compromised. Sometimes my scooter won't start until I flip the switch off and on again. I keep expecting it to fail completely, but so far, it hasn't. It's been this way for probably about a year now.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I don't believe I hit the kill switch by accident, don't see how, I just think someone pulled a prank on me. With so few scooters where I live most know my scoot.

As for using the kill switch on a regular basis, the mechanic at the shop said not to, only use it to turn off the scoot unless in an emergency.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Kids love to mess with the controls, and many parents think nothing of setting their tykes on your scooter when you're not around.

I use the kill switch first method, so this never gets me, but I have ridden around with the brights on for a while before noticing due to some helpful stranger's re-positioning of the switch.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I -really- do get the drilled-in habit thing, seriously, I do. Doing both things absolutely all the time is a great muscle-memory habit to have. Just saying that in case of an accident, make sure to get the ignition keyswitch, too, if you can, as all the power isn't cut off until you do.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

PeteH wrote:I -really- do get the drilled-in habit thing, seriously, I do. Doing both things absolutely all the time is a great muscle-memory habit to have. Just saying that in case of an accident, make sure to get the ignition keyswitch, too, if you can, as all the power isn't cut off until you do.
Got it, Pete. You're absolutely correct. Should I ever find myself a candidate for the "who's crashed" thread <....stopping to knock on wood>, you'll have the dubious honor of popping into my head and reminding me to turn the key. :D
Jana

Post by Jana »

Interesting discussion since the last thing the dealer said to me this afternoon was telling me how often someone calls for roadside assistance because they've forgotten their kill switch is on. He didn't really have an opinion one way or the other about using it or the key first.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Honda street bikes are the worst. The starter will still "spin" when the kill switch is off. went to at least one tow job ( to pick up the bike ) a year; flicked that switch for the customer and drove the truck back.
If they were cool it was no charge. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

My friend and I kicked his pigass hardley for 15 minutes before I looked at the damn switch gear and saw the kill switch engaged. I told him that's why you use the key and not the switch to turn off the bike. I don't know where that cr@p of using the kill switch to turn off the bike came from (obviously a hold over from the 30's, because there is no reason to use it on a modern MC unless it's on top of you and on FIRE!!!), but I have never used it for that and I've never had problems with my MC's for decades.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Try the kill button on a Stella sometime!

Frequent scene around the scooter shop: Customer calls. Scooter won't start. Everyone within earshot of the phone call yells, "Check the kill switch!" Everyone laughs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

I prefer the kill switch for turning off the engine because it's right there on the handlebar, making it easier and safer to turn off than letting go of the handlebar and the stronger brake and reaching down for the key. You can even do it while the scooter is in motion, which I like because the approach from the street to my front porch is a bit twisty, and I prefer to make it coasting rather than under power. My switch is holding up fine after 13K miles (consisting mostly of short trips). I've never been tripped up by the kill switch, because any time the starter does nothing I immediately double-check all three points of forgetfulness: switch, key, brakes.

However I did experience several minutes of aggravation and dread recently when the scooter Would Not Start after changing the spark plug. The starter was turning over, but I couldn't get even a cough out of the engine. Not only had I misdiagnosed the problem, it had just gotten worse. Until I felt underneath and found that the cap connecting the plug... wasn't. :oops:
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I don't have a strong opinion on using or not. I will say that the switch on my Buddy no longer works correctly so I don't use it at all.

I do wonder though: Those of you who have been in a crash, did your "muscle memory" jump in a flip that switch for you? It didn't for me. It was more like:
"What the . . . .!"
*CRASH!*
Roll, roll, tumble!
"Ouch! Am I okay?"
"Am I going to be hit while I'm here in the road?"
"I the bike okay? Oh look, it's still running"

Jus' sayin' I think that you rarely lay the bike down and stay in the seated position until you come to a stop so that the kill switch is right there to hit.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

PeteH wrote:You are far more likely to damage the switch with over-use, furthering the chances of a no-start breakdown.
I reserve the right to call bullshit! :)
I've used my kill switch since the day I bought my 2007 Buddy 125cc. I've NEVER, NEVER have had any issues with over use (knock on wood-tapping my forehead).
Last edited by iMoses on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

2wheelNsanity wrote:I don't believe I hit the kill switch by accident,
During a ride last year we had a 1 hour delay. One rider could not get his scoot to start, he was trying to McGyver the whole deal until someone else pointed to his kill switch. He never uses it either but he concluded that he must of bumped it with his helmet as he was dismounting.

Anyway it wasn't a total bust, we went next door and had ice cream during the ordeal. Well everyone but him... he was kind of embarrassed... he probably need the ice cream break more than any of us...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

iMoses wrote:
PeteH wrote:You are far more likely to damage the switch with over-use, furthering the chances of a no-start breakdown.
I've used my kill switch since the day I bought my 2007 Buddy 125cc. I've NEVER, NEVER have had any issues with over use (knock on wood-tapping my forehead).
Did ye not see the two posters above who are having kill switch issues? :D Maybe a little contact cleaner would help 'em.
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

I always engage the kill switch and on my Buddy 125 it doesn't stop the engine until the key's turned off. However, I don't care because I look at the kill switch as added security to keep the casual thief honest. :roll:
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:Those of you who have been in a crash, did your "muscle memory" jump in a flip that switch for you?
Actually, yeah, it did!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

rkcoker wrote:I always engage the kill switch and on my Buddy 125 it doesn't stop the engine until the key's turned off. However, I don't care because I look at the kill switch as added security to keep the casual thief honest. :roll:
Meaning it doesn't kill the engine???? If you're still under warranty, I think I'd get that looked at.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

PeteH wrote:
iMoses wrote:
Did ye not see the two posters above who are having kill switch issues? :D Maybe a little contact cleaner would help 'em.
Oh I saw them... I was just ignoring them! jk
I know I've been SUPER lucky with both scooters. And hope I continue to be :)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Interesting. Having read all the horror stories about Stella kill switches, I've never used mine. On my Vespa GTS 250, I've used it all the time. Never a problem, on either bike.