Let's play "What's the diagnosis?" FIXED!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote: Do I get a patch or something? Maybe a tattoo? Inside info on a secret handshake? :lol:
This is a tough crowd we're talking about. You'll be lucky if you get The Nod. :wink:
Ooooooo... "The Nod"! What will be left to strive for after that? :lol:
The inner workings of "The Nod Committee" are a closely-guarded secret. I've heard there may be specialized awards for things like splitting the cases in a hotel parking lot overnight using a streetlight for illumination and putting it back together in time to ride a leg of the Cannonball the next day - special cases like that. I'm more of a pay-it-forward kinda guy. Once you get The Nod, I figure you should think about passing it on to the next generation. 8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

FIXED!!!!
Fixed! Fixed! Fixed! Fixed! Fixed! Fixed!!!! :+!:
Dancing the happy dance here!

Checked the compression and that was fine so went back to the very beginning and started all over. Beginning with the airbox. Only this time instead of simply checking the airbox and attached hoses I replaced the entire thing including all hoses (to the carburetor, the valve cover and the evap system). I also tightened down the intake manifold just to be sure it was properly sealed.

Saddled up, went for a test ride and... presto! No more problems. The scooter is running perfectly, purring like a kitten, and peppy as can be (when in its stock setup :wink: ). All indications are that it is revved up and ready to go for the next 20,000 miles.

Such a simple fix! But the diagnosis, oy. Whether the culprit ultimately was the airbox itself, one of the attached hoses, the intake manifold, or a combination of all of the above, it was definitely wonky fuel/air mixture under load that was the crux of the trouble.

Of course along the way we also found a faulty petcock, a carb that needed cleaning, an exhaust that was exhausted, and valves that needed adjusting. All great to have taken care of. When you think about it, it really is pretty awesome to have gone over everything with such a fine tooth comb right at my scooters 20K anniversary. Talk about starting the next leg of life in as good a shape as possible. Most excellent!

GOLD STARS!!!
There were a lot of very relevant guesses/theories from a number of people. So everyone at minimum gets very honorable mentions and my sincere thanks!.

jrsjr was the first to mention the airbox so a very special gold star and a pint of beer go to you! Also mentioning the airbox were rajron and smithrw, so gold stars go to you two as well. Nice job gentlemen!

Viney mentioned the intake boot which did get tightened down some so indeed could also be contributing to the fix. So a gold star goes to you too!

Imoses mentioned the air filter which was definitely in the right neighborhood, and Eric and Buddy Raton mentioned air/fuel as the problem which while not the actual physical solution, was indeed the gist of the problem, so silver stars to all three of you.

To everyone else, I send my heartfelt thanks and a limited edition, home version of "What's the Diagnosis?" to enjoy playing with your friends :P

So there we have it! It is quite astonishing all I have learned in the past few weeks. Who knew? Really it is such a gift. Next up, organizing some group rides! I am going through such scooter withdrawal!!! After that... well, reinstall my scooter mods of course! I mean really, after all 8)

Cheers!
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

that's great news!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF. LET'S GO RIDE SUNDAY.

Aw, crap, it's going to rain. :(
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i didn't win :(

probably nothing wrong with the scooter it was all just a bad dream

wake up, Skootz!
Riding is riding
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

Great you found the problem! So many times the most simple thing will fix the problem. Again, glad it's fixed!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Yahooo!!!!!!!!!! :D I am so glad your scoot is fixed!
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Great! Glad to hear results. Now, what is the difference between the air boxes and the hoses?

Karl
rajron

Post by rajron »

Totally happy for you!

It’s fun to work on the scoots, but, much more fun ridding them.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Good to hear. Enjoy the ride. You actually helped me replace the drive boss on my scooter never had used an impact wrench etc your posts gave the incentive. Good feeling doing some of your own repairs. Even makes the ride more enjoyable.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Thanks everyone!
50CC Cape Cod wrote:... Good feeling doing some of your own repairs. Even makes the ride more enjoyable.
I couldn't agree more! I feel the relationship with my scooter has reached a whole new level of intimacy :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

I think all your changing stuff around jarred a piece of dirt in the fuel filter out of the way, freeing up fuel flow. :lol:

Congratulations, Skootz!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Congrats! I already got emails about two new scooter group rides. I'll try to make one of the two if only to give you a pat on the back, you worked hard.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sweet!...Its fixed and you are riding again!. All is good!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Thanks everyone!
50CC Cape Cod wrote:... Good feeling doing some of your own repairs. Even makes the ride more enjoyable.
I couldn't agree more! I feel the relationship with my scooter has reached a whole new level of intimacy :P
TMI!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good call on starting over. Sometimes when it seems like something simple that you absolutely know you've already covered, it's good just to double check. Carbs can be finicky little things.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:FIXED!!!!
My new favorite word. Super glad to hear it. :D