sh150 mystery oil leak [NBR]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

sh150 mystery oil leak [NBR]

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Hey all,

I've had the sh150 out of winter storage for a few weeks now and I've noticed a mystery oil leak. It's coming from a small hole near the oil drain plug. The hole is obviously part of the design but I don't think it's supposed to be leaking oil. My only guess is that it's possible that I put a little too much oil in when I filled it up last time and that maybe this is some sort of oil overflow hole so that it doesn't build up too much pressure. Either that or something is seriously wrong and it needs to go to the shop. Any ideas?
Attachments
sh150_oil_leak.jpg
sh150_oil_leak.jpg (130.18 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
mattgordon

No expert, but....

Post by mattgordon »

generally when the manufacturer has added a weep hole, it occasionally weeps.

If it was me I wouldnt worry about, based on your picture of a bit of oily residue....unless it gets appreciably worse.
jasondavis48108

Thanks, I didn't know that little hole was called a weep hole. This picture was taken after I had cleaned it up so I could find the leak. That little bit of oil was after just 5 min of idling. I just checked it after my 5 mile ride to work and it's dripping down the area where the oil drain bolt is. Since I purchased the extended warranty I think I'll take it in just in case it's someting serious. From what I could tell after searching around a bit, that much oil comming out of the weep hole could be a sign of a blown seal. Thanks again :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Thanks, I didn't know that little hole was called a weep hole. This picture was taken after I had cleaned it up so I could find the leak. That little bit of oil was after just 5 min of idling. I just checked it after my 5 mile ride to work and it's dripping down the area where the oil drain bolt is. Since I purchased the extended warranty I think I'll take it in just in case it's someting serious. From what I could tell after searching around a bit, that much oil comming out of the weep hole could be a sign of a blown seal. Thanks again :)
Good idea...let us (me) know what the pros tell you. Honda doesn't build any junk...those SH are pretty sexy!
jasondavis48108

I took it in Friday but couldn't get an appointment till this coming Saturday. I'll definitely let ya know what they say.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you think you over-filled the oil, why not just drain and re-fill with the correct amount? You could even use a clean container and re-use the same oil.

If that stops the leak, problem solved.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jasondavis48108

I thought about that but then I read the oil level several times at different places to make sure the ground was level and it's not reading as over filled.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Are you talking about this hole? That seems pretty low in the case for it to be just a weep hole.
Attachments
ThisHole.jpg
ThisHole.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
jasondavis48108

yeah syd, that's the hole. I'm not sure what it is, but it's definitely leaking oil. I have an appointment this saturday at our local shop to see what's going on with it. The thing that scared me was that I read about how if oil is coming out of certain weep holes it can mean a seal is about to blow. Definitely don't want that.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:yeah syd, that's the hole. I'm not sure what it is, but it's definitely leaking oil. I have an appointment this saturday at our local shop to see what's going on with it. The thing that scared me was that I read about how if oil is coming out of certain weep holes it can mean a seal is about to blow. Definitely don't want that.
The scoot ought to still be under warranty, no? (Check the oil level before it gets there, making sure it's not too high, though.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Oh, and don't be like me. Former Honda owner, they all specified the dipstick unscrewed to check the level. Buddy = dipstick screwed in.

It pays to check the manual.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Syd wrote:Are you talking about this hole? That seems pretty low in the case for it to be just a weep hole.
What kind of hole are you suggesting it is then?
Syd

Post by Syd »

mattgordon wrote:
Syd wrote:Are you talking about this hole? That seems pretty low in the case for it to be just a weep hole.
You got me. But why put a weep hole at the bottom of something that is supposed to hold oil?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Syd wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
You got me. But why put a weep hole at the bottom of something that is supposed to hold oil?
You're not seeing the channel that the oil has to go through between the oil reservoir and the weep hole. If the weep hole was located at the bottom of the sump as a direct pass-through, it'd be called a drain. It'd also be a pretty poor design. :wink:

It's under warranty, you know what to do.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
jasondavis48108

I bought the 4 year extended warranty to it's definitely still under warranty. The placement of the little hole be it a weep hole or not is near the oil drain plug but it's on this rounded part of the case which makes me think that it may be separated from the oil reservoir in some way (not really sure but if it weren't it seems like it would have always leaked). I did read the manual so I'm not screwing the dip stick back in when I check the oil level. Luckily my buddy is a 2T so there's no confusion there :) Hopefully the pros will find a very simple problem with a very simple fix. I'd also like to know exactly what that little hole is and what it's for :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I bought the 4 year extended warranty to it's definitely still under warranty. The placement of the little hole be it a weep hole or not is near the oil drain plug but it's on this rounded part of the case which makes me think that it may be separated from the oil reservoir in some way (not really sure but if it weren't it seems like it would have always leaked). I did read the manual so I'm not screwing the dip stick back in when I check the oil level. Luckily my buddy is a 2T so there's no confusion there :) Hopefully the pros will find a very simple problem with a very simple fix. I'd also like to know exactly what that little hole is and what it's for :lol:
Have you looked or stuck something up there to see how deep it is? I wonder if it's not just an alignment hole cast into the case for some reason.
jasondavis48108

Syd wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I bought the 4 year extended warranty to it's definitely still under warranty. The placement of the little hole be it a weep hole or not is near the oil drain plug but it's on this rounded part of the case which makes me think that it may be separated from the oil reservoir in some way (not really sure but if it weren't it seems like it would have always leaked). I did read the manual so I'm not screwing the dip stick back in when I check the oil level. Luckily my buddy is a 2T so there's no confusion there :) Hopefully the pros will find a very simple problem with a very simple fix. I'd also like to know exactly what that little hole is and what it's for :lol:
Have you looked or stuck something up there to see how deep it is? I wonder if it's not just an alignment hole cast into the case for some reason.
Haven't tried that, I'm a bit afraid of making things worse at this point :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Syd wrote:
Haven't tried that, I'm a bit afraid of making things worse at this point :lol:
I understand. What can I say, sometimes I'm just a little kid :oops:
jasondavis48108

well I just heard back from the shop. That weep hole is there to let you know when the mechanical seal on the water pump is going bad. They've ordered a new seal and all the work will be covered under the warranty. I think it's a bit crazy that at just shy of 1900 miles this would happen. Honda is generally know for their reliability, hopefully this is just a fluke and not a design problem with the scooter itself. I don't want to have to pay to have this done every 1900 miles.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It's gotta be a fluke, but I'm glad that they are taking care of it. I bet that it never happens again, but just in case, keep an eye on the weep hole (in 2000 more miles).
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
jasondavis48108

Oh I'll be watching it very carefully. I have another two plus years on my four year extended warranty so if it does happen again it should do so well within the warranty period. Actually, it's kinda sad that I've owned the scooter for almost two years and I only have about 1900 miles on it. It really shows me that I don't go anywhere but work which is only 5 miles away :lol:
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Yeah gotta be a fluke. Still sucks though.
The SH model is like over 11years old now and still selling really well overseas. Don't think it be selling like that if it had problems.

On the plus side Honda is bringing a new scooter to the states, Hondas website should say what it is on Monday.
My money is on the Vision.
jasondavis48108

I really wish they would bring over the sh300. That is one sweet scooter.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Looks like it's the PCX now available in 150ccs (used to be 125), unless I missed that earlier. I was wondering what was going on when I saw that their entire 2012 line up was the S-wing and the Ruckus 50cc. I bet that the Vision is next... maybe this afternoon?

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/pcx.aspx

Note: Bless Honda for calling a 153cc a 150. Props.
Rovers SC
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Metro got a update as well. Looks like a Buddy now.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Well spotted, sir.
Rovers SC