WOT Restricted Vs. Unrestricted

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mousenut

WOT Restricted Vs. Unrestricted

Post by Mousenut »

We just got our 50 last night and the dealer to my dismay did not derestrict it for us saying it should wait until after the first maint.

I have read here already that unrestricting out of the gate is not a big deal so I am debating doing it myself or having dealer do it for me (long distance over a decent mountain and i'm impatient and quite handy).

My question is we find ourselves already wringing it like it owes us $ and not getting the pickup that we hoped for. I know it will get better with break in and after derestricting it but is WOT riding restricted better or worse than less than WOT unrestricted?

Does that make sense?

Thank you
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I wouldn't ride WOT restricted or unrestricted while breaking in your scooter. WOT has to do with RPM's not speed. Either way, you're stressing the motor at high RPM's which isn't good for the scooter during break-in.

I know some dealers tell you to ride it like you stole it from the first day, but why risk an expensive investment like that? I would adhere to your dealers recommendation of leaving it restricted until after break-in. Because he's the guy who will be your best advocate for warranty work. But if you disregard his advice and piss him off, he may not back you when you need him.

If you're disappointed with the pick-up now, I don't imagine you'll be that happy after break-in and it's unrestricted. It won't change THAT much. You may want to see if your dealer will allow you to upgrade to a 125 before you put too many miles on the 50.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

My dealer derestricted mine when I purchased it. They did tell me to vary the throttle during break in and try not to go over 3/4 throttle for the 1st 500mi or something to that effect. I varied the throttle a lot during break in making sure I had no extended periods of WOT for the 1st 500mi. restricted your top speed is about 30mph and derestricted its more like 45mph so the top end is much better. As far as aceleration, you won't get any difference at all until you play with the rollers weights in the variator. I'd say break it in and then once it's broken in throw a stage 1 kit on it and you'll be much happier with the aceleration, I know I was.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Oh, don't get me wrong, we were all smiles and this is the one for us. I hit 45 downhill and grabbed for the brakes, plenty fast for me. It just wasn't what I was expecting with pickup getting to that point and honestly if it wasn't for getting up to speed in traffic I may have not even cared about the derestriction at all.

Waiting that long to crank it up is going to be difficult at best.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I know that sometimes throttle on 50cc scoots feels like an on/off switch. Just remember it's brand new and needs to open up a bit, as with all scoots.

If you are going over any mountains on any kind of regular basis, I'd say you're going to want the 125. they get better gas mileage and more power because you're not flogging them to death all the time.

However, the Buddy and Kymco are some of the fastest stock 50's I've gotten to play with.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I had my 50cc derestricted before I picked it up, and if having it done that soon had any negative impact on the engine, it hasn't shown up in the first 13,700 miles. :) The mechanic may be thinking that leaving the restriction on keeps the rider from going too fast for the engine's well-being during the break-in period, but I'm skeptical. But I suppose it may prevent a new rider from going 40mph before he's ready for it. :) Just try to run it at varying speeds, and not push it WOT all the time during this period just to get it as fast as it'll go.

As I understand it, the only difference the restrictions make is to limit your level-ground speed to 30mph; they don't affect the scooter's performance in the range below that. Which is good, because that means that people who choose to leave it like that get the full benefit of what the scooter can do... except for the top speed. So don't be disappointed if, after derestricting, it doesn't accelerate from a stop any faster. Still, it's been my experience that the Buddy 50 does pretty well going from 0-30mph for an engine that size, so as long as I don't put myself into situations where I need the acceleration of a sportscar (or sportbike), it does alright.

If you're mechanically inclined, you may be able to derestrict the bike yourself. There's a video around here somewhere that demonstrates the process for Genuine dealers. Any competent motorcycle shop (not necessarily a scooter shop) should be able to do it too, if you don't want to buzz over to the place you bought it. Or just enjoy the scoot with its current capabilities, and look forward to the extra 10mph you'll get when you bring it in for its check-up.
Last edited by TVB on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Enjoy the scoot as is and get to know the scooter better. I just derestricted my Kymco 50cc after 700 miles and picked up top end from 34 to 48MPH
which gives a big difference. It is still good to get a feel for handling at the lower end which is the same either way set up. I did notice a slight bog down on hill acceleration since the change over but maybe just adjusting itself. Some states dealers will not derestrict a scooter and if wanted have to find an option, since may change motor vehicle classification.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

as far as I know derestricting it changes its motor vehicle classification in most states from moped to motorcycle. In most areas the cops don't care though so the vast majority of people do not bother to re-register thier 50cc derestricted mopeds as motorcycles. I actually did have my Buddy 50 registered as a motorcycle for the past two years but it was a two hour ordeal at the secretary of state to do that since very few ever bother to do so. When I recently went back to registering it as a moped it took all of 15 minutes as restricting then registering a motorcycle as a moped is much more common.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

The mountain I would have to drive over to get to my dealer is the NY/PA line which complicates it even furthur for me (not much but some). He is all for derestricting it, just not now. Really is a good guy but I think most of his business is racing dirtbikes and scooters is an expansion into a new market. My guess, I really don't know.

I think I am going to split the difference and keep it restricted for a few weeks until we get very comfortable with it as is and then "de" it myself. I think a variator locking tool should be easy enough to fab and torque it properly.

Funny, at the DMV my wife said the first lady threw a fit about registering it as a class B (which it really is right now) and not believing her. She forgot something at home and when she went back, the second lady didn't care at all and registering it was a breeze.

Tempted to take her out this morning but it's only 27 out.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It's probably time for someone to chime in authoritatively here about exactly how PGO/Genuine restricts the 50s for US import. Is it just washers in the variator, or is there any intake or exhaust restrictor as well?

If it's just the variator, you don't need a fancy locking tool - a strap wrench (usually used for oil filters) will let you hold it steady. But you should re-tigten it with a proper torque wrench.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

I watched the factory set up video and read about 50 different methods of doing it and it appears there is the right way to do it and everybody elses way :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't know enough about engines for it to really register what exactly he was doing, but in the video I remember there being two parts to the process: something with the transmission, and something with the exhaust.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

I did the exhaust this morning just because it was so easy but I'm freezing so I don't know what effect it really had yet. Took all of 8 minutes.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice!

Now, be nice to it :P.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

On a flat road, 38 on the budometer. I'm 180 5'10&5/8" Somewhat louder as well.

First real traffic today too and it was less stressful that I was expecting. Got the feeling everyone was gawking but I think it was mostly in my head.
AmyRose

Post by AmyRose »

:) I had mine changed when I picked it up. He did tell us to not ride at top speed for long periods at a time since we bought new ones and the engine needed some time to break in but I cant lie it made a difference. I'm thinking of adding a mod to make it even faster after some more experience on it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I don't think derestricting does much of anything for acceleration. You'll still get to 35 in about the same time from all accounts that I've heard; you'll just have a little more to go after you get there - till about 45mph or so.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talk about the acceleration difference between a stock 50cc and a derestricted 50cc.

Ultimately, it's a 50cc and that little workhorse can only do but so much.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Mousenut wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong, we were all smiles and this is the one for us. I hit 45 downhill and grabbed for the brakes, plenty fast for me. It just wasn't what I was expecting with pickup getting to that point and honestly if it wasn't for getting up to speed in traffic I may have not even cared about the derestriction at all.

Waiting that long to crank it up is going to be difficult at best.
Don't ever grab brakes - squeeze brakes! I learned this the hard way.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Me 3. like a trigger, squeeeeeze. no grab!
TelPerian

Re: WOT Restricted Vs. Unrestricted

Post by TelPerian »

Mousenut wrote:
My question is we find ourselves already wringing it like it owes us $ and not getting the pickup that we hoped for. I know it will get better with break in and after derestricting it but is WOT riding restricted better or worse than less than WOT unrestricted?
Could someone explain WOT to this noob please? :oops:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Wide Open Throttle
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

I bet like me, the OP found out that removing the exhaust restriction changes everything on the 50. The variator restriction will give more top end by letting the variator open all the way up. If you're handy and have an impact wrench (torque wrench and some other way to hold the variotor if you're going to be picky about it) to get the variator on / off, then go for that too. The Geniune service video pretty much shows you setp by step how to do it.
Lostmycage wrote:I don't think derestricting does much of anything for acceleration. You'll still get to 35 in about the same time from all accounts that I've heard; you'll just have a little more to go after you get there - till about 45mph or so.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talk about the acceleration difference between a stock 50cc and a derestricted 50cc.

Ultimately, it's a 50cc and that little workhorse can only do but so much.
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Yes, just the exhaust fix was like night and day. I'm sure that putting miles on her is helping the cause too but I just got gas for the first time last night and I swear it's even faster off the line after 65 miles. Can't say exactly as to why but we are happier with overall performance.

Is the gas gauge non-linear? It seemed to drop faster as it got lower and the red zone went really fast.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yes, take it from someone who's run out of gas on a long ride - that last 1/4 of the gauge - the red zone - empties very quickly. Definitely nonlinear.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The red zone does go pretty quickly on the fuel gauge, but don't freak out right when it hits the bottom of that zone. You should be looking for nearest gas station, but I've found that I still have several miles left in the tank at that point.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

I only could put in 1.3 gallons to the lower metal ring so I bet there was a little left. Luckily I'm only about a mile from the closest fillin' station.