Starting/Running Problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

L1TTLEFOOT

Starting/Running Problem

Post by L1TTLEFOOT »

Hi Buddies...
I am Brand New to this site, but I've had my 125 for 3 years now.

I am having an issue with my scooter, and am looking for any info you could give me.

I live in Salt Lake City, so I stored my scooter for the winter (with no tender :( )

I charged the battery, and the scooter started up first try. But after about 30 seconds, the idle got really low and "chunky" and it died. Now it won't start again.

Any ideas??
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Dirty carb. These things are uber sensitive to lacquer buildup. I speak from experience. You may be able to get some sea foam or other carb cleaner and run some through it. If that doesn't work, I'd pull the carb off and clean it out before investigating too deeply into other problems.
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

did you use any fuel stabilizer before you stored it? If not it may need to have the carb cleaned. Before that I'd try emptying the fuel tank and replacing with new gas and add some seafoam. If your lucky that will do the trick. If not either take it to the shop or get out your tooth brush and some carb cleaner :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
L1TTLEFOOT

Post by L1TTLEFOOT »

Well, I took the carb off today...cleaned it as best I could (it didn't look dirty anyways) and cleaned the jets as best I could with some carb cleaner.

Still having the same problem. It starts, but is a really low and chunky idle and dies after a few seconds. Holding the throttle open keeps it running for a minute or so, but it eventually dies.

I noticed after the cleaning that gas now comes out of the small hose coming from the carb (L-shaped, about an inch long) and it also runs out of the air intake...??

I NEED TO RIDE!! haha I don't want to take it in if I don't have to...
Any more suggestions?
L1TTLEFOOT

Post by L1TTLEFOOT »

I also just replaced the spark plug...
Still the same problem.

I guess I will have to take it in...*sigh*
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

L1TTLEFOOT wrote:Well, I took the carb off today...cleaned it as best I could (it didn't look dirty anyways) and cleaned the jets as best I could with some carb cleaner.

Still having the same problem. It starts, but is a really low and chunky idle and dies after a few seconds. Holding the throttle open keeps it running for a minute or so, but it eventually dies.

I noticed after the cleaning that gas now comes out of the small hose coming from the carb (L-shaped, about an inch long) and it also runs out of the air intake...??

I NEED TO RIDE!! haha I don't want to take it in if I don't have to...
Any more suggestions?
Almost sounds like the float might be stuck now. Hate to say it, but you may need to take the carb off and re-clean.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.