Gear, Full Helmet and Hot Temps

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Cpequin

protective gear

Post by Cpequin »

I read the first several pages from a few years ago, and then from the beginning of 2012, so I'm sorry if this was covered in the middle pages :oops:

I'm in the PHX area (coincidentally it's AZ Bike Week), and I've only owned my Buddy about a month now, no problems. I admit I feel overdressed when i put on my 3/4 helmet, gloves, and Olympia Bonneville jacket with mesh/armor, and sturdy hiking boots when scooting around. The valley is loaded with all kinds of bikers wearing nothing but sunglasses and bandana's, bermuda shorts, and teva's. On Harley's, Roketa's, you name it. ----no helmet law here if you're over 18

I got the Buddy to take to work, a 25 mi one-way scoot over the north valley. It's beautiful now, been in the 70's...but yesterday, I drove from Surprise to Tempe, (50 miles), and it was 91 degrees. All I did was look longingly at the other bikers, and near ASU, the shorts-wearing half-helmeted students on their 50cc scoots...and there I was, sweltering.

I figure this summer, it will be about 95 or so on my 9am commutes, and probably still in the triple-digits coming home at 6pm. I bought the "meshiest" jacket I could find online while still having armor built in. If I could find something better, or an alternative, I'll buy it. I was starting to think I was paranoid until I read this thread...I just can't see myself scootin' without my gear.

I see some folks here proudly wear their gear, I also see that many are in cooler climes...can I get some input from some other AZ or SoCal peeps about gear and comfort?

BTW, this is the best forum I've ever read, what a great online community!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Somewhere around here last year, I remember someone talking about mist cooling.

It seems to me that you'd want to wear a mesh jacket, then have a spray nozzle mounted on your headset/mirror stem/whatever, and a thumb button that would squirt a bit of water into a mist. I bet that would be just the ticket on hot summer days.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

No matter what you do, a full-face helmet is going to be hot in the summer. It's just the nature of the beast. There are some tricks to staying cool, but I'm going to defer on those to someone, as you requested, from AZ or SoCal. However, the basics of dealing with heat are pretty universal and always begin and end with hydration. The other thing I would add pertaining to riding is that it's a good idea to use a helmet with removable liners that can be removed to dry and/or replace.

Ride safe! Cheers! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: protective gear

Post by ericalm »

Cpequin wrote:I see some folks here proudly wear their gear, I also see that many are in cooler climes...can I get some input from some other AZ or SoCal peeps about gear and comfort?
It doesn't get quite as hot (er, nearly as hot) in this part of SoCal as in most of AZ but I have ridden in high-90s to low 100s here and in other states. I wear a modular helmet. The modular helps because at stops I can pop it open. Doing the wet bandana/cooling cloth around your neck actually helps a lot.

Honestly, it's not my head that overheats, it's the rest of me. I have to admit that riding in San Antonio and New Orleans in the summer swelter, I ditched my mesh jacket some of the time. (We were on many fairly slow, in-city, stop/start group rides for rallies.) At a certain point, overheating and heat fatigue is as much a concern as road rash.

Here, I've ridden in the mid-upper 90s in my mesh and modular helmet and as long as I keep moving, it's fine. It's the in-city riding that wears me out.
Even when properly cooled, I've found I can only do so much time riding in that kind of heat anyways. It's a lot more physically demanding and tiring than riding in more temperate weather.
Cpequin wrote:BTW, this is the best forum I've ever read, what a great online community!
Thanks!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Re: protective gear

Post by LunaP »

Cpequin wrote:I read the first several pages from a few years ago, and then from the beginning of 2012, so I'm sorry if this was covered in the middle pages :oops:

I'm in the PHX area (coincidentally it's AZ Bike Week), and I've only owned my Buddy about a month now, no problems. I admit I feel overdressed when i put on my 3/4 helmet, gloves, and Olympia Bonneville jacket with mesh/armor, and sturdy hiking boots when scooting around. The valley is loaded with all kinds of bikers wearing nothing but sunglasses and bandana's, bermuda shorts, and teva's. On Harley's, Roketa's, you name it. ----no helmet law here if you're over 18

I got the Buddy to take to work, a 25 mi one-way scoot over the north valley. It's beautiful now, been in the 70's...but yesterday, I drove from Surprise to Tempe, (50 miles), and it was 91 degrees. All I did was look longingly at the other bikers, and near ASU, the shorts-wearing half-helmeted students on their 50cc scoots...and there I was, sweltering.

I figure this summer, it will be about 95 or so on my 9am commutes, and probably still in the triple-digits coming home at 6pm. I bought the "meshiest" jacket I could find online while still having armor built in. If I could find something better, or an alternative, I'll buy it. I was starting to think I was paranoid until I read this thread...I just can't see myself scootin' without my gear.

I see some folks here proudly wear their gear, I also see that many are in cooler climes...can I get some input from some other AZ or SoCal peeps about gear and comfort?

BTW, this is the best forum I've ever read, what a great online community!
Not the right thread for this subject, but... mesh with as many air vents as possible. Lokky's never complained about his head, it's the rest of him that gets hot. We're on the opposite coast from you, but... if you've ever been over here in the heat, you know it's actually way worse because of the humidity. When I visited CA, it was 90 and it felt like 75 to me because the humidity was so much less than here. If you're willing to forego the abrasion resistance of a jacket, you could look into strap-on armor pads, or the Forcefield Limb Tubes (hit up Google for those, I don't have a link handy, but they are super duper neat) if you find the mesh jacket doesn't cut it... but I suspect at some point there's going to be some gritting teeth and bearing the discomfort to ensure your safety. Or the opposite, whichever is your personal choice.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I split this topic into its own thread. It may get more responses here as well.

Thanks,
Mgmt.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I definitely don't live in a hot climate, but we do get the occasional heat wave during the summer. One thing I'll say is that, when it was severely hot, like over 100 degrees, I found that I was actually more comfortable with a jacket on than without because it blocked the direct sunlight from hitting my skin. During the worst heat wave I've ridden in, about a week at 107 degrees, I got in the habit of wetting my shirt before the leaving the office and then putting my jacket on over that. It really helped a lot. I also second Eric on being able to flip up a modular helmet at stop signs. That helps a lot as well. That's all I've got, though, since I've probably experienced fewer than a dozen days that were truly hot.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'm from Michigan so take this for what it's worth but when it gets up into the high 80's and 90's here I'm glad for the mesh jacket for sure. In the book Proficient Motorcycling Hough talks about how when he temps exceed 98 degrees your actually trying to keep the heat out so you should where leather. I personally wouldn't ride in that kind of heat but then again we don't get many of those days in Michigan either.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I'm in southern AZ where we can get more than 30 consecutive days of triple-digit temps. Some years ago, I asked my Harley-riding MSF instructor what one does for protection during 100+degree weather. She said, "I don't ride when it's over 95°." I'm not quite ready to accept that. There are vests available that you can soak with water, and serve as an evaporative cooler. Ditto neckbands. A wet t-shirt under a mesh jacket works well. And, you have to stay hydrated. I'd really like to wear shorts and a T-shirt and flipflops during the summer, but in the end, I'd rather sweat than bleed.
rkcoker

Post by rkcoker »

I've been thinking of getting a camel back hydration unit to wear while riding to and from work. For those that don't know, it's a waterbag on your back with a drinking tube.
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Basically what I wear changes with the temps.

I always wear a full face period! When it's a long ride, I'll wear armored pants.

When it's 65 and below, I wear a textile jacket with full armor, insulated leather gloves with armor, jeans, and riding boots.

When it's between 65 and 80, I'll wear an unarmored leather riding jacket, leather gloves, jeans , and riding boots.

When it's between 80 and 95, I'll wear a mesh jacket with full armor, mesh gloves with armor, jeans or shorts, and riding boots.

When it's above 95, all safety goes out the window. I wear a t-shirt, mesh gloves with armor, shorts, and mesh trail tennies.

I would've bought myself kevlar jeans long ago, but I just can't seem to find a pair that I like. Either the styles are too wild and/or baggy, or the color is black which is too hot. The fit is off on others. Why they can't just make a regular ol' pair of blue jeans with kevlar in it I'll never know. If all the regular jean companies can make it, why can't the riding jean companies make it?
Syd

Post by Syd »

I bought the Hyperkewl vest from TechNiche. Soak it in water for some time, then let it sit covered by a towel for a couple hours, or even overnight for the morning's ride, and it could last all day. It works so well that I've been chilly in it at 105°.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

pdxrita wrote:One thing I'll say is that, when it was severely hot, like over 100 degrees, I found that I was actually more comfortable with a jacket on than without because it blocked the direct sunlight from hitting my skin.
I learned my lesson when I rode without my jacket in hot sunny weather, got a bad sunburn and ended up dehydrated.

As for the helmet, I've filled my full-face helmet with water. That kept my head a lot cooler, but you will have wet-helmet-hair at the end of the ride. I don't have a solution for that.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
adamschopper

Post by adamschopper »

I live in Austin where we'll get 3-4 months of 100 degree days. City riding sucks when its hot. I have a mesh jacket with armor as well. Here's what I like to do.

If you don't have a Givi trunk that would be the first thing on my list. It's much nicer to put bags in the trunk on hot days to allow max air flow.

I also carry a change of clothes. I know I'm going to be sweat so its just easier for me and my coworkers if I can change into something fresh.

Try wicking shirts under your jacket too. You get moving and you cool off instantly.
adamschopper

Post by adamschopper »

I forgot to mention. In the dead heat of summer in Texas there's nothing you can do to avoid the heat except hide inside in the ac.

Riding with full gear can be a drag but trust me they're sweating just as much as you are. Don't let them fool you.

I'm a little jealous of you're 20+ mile ride to work :)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

As an Arizona rider, I've found it more comfortable to ride with a full face quality helmet than without anything. This is because it keeps the sun OFF your head and reduces the hair-dryer like hot air assaulting you on a commute when it's 115 degrees. I've tried to rock less than full face, but the hotter it gets, the worse I burn with the less coverage on the head. A tinted visor and full face with decent ventilation will prove to be a far more comfortable thing.

As for jackets, I may not wear one all the time, but I DO wear coverage as far as a cotton long sleeve shirt at least. This is again for the sunburn factor. In Arizona, you will get nuclear-reactor-meltdown-level sunburns by July and August! It's amazing what a little coverage can do to save your skin. Honestly, once you get over 105 degrees, short or long sleeve doesn't matter too much. But, it makes all the difference in the world from wind and sun burn!

And, dehydration is a big risk on long rides, and coverage on the body does help keep that down!

Now, I'm not advocating to ride with less gear. Ride with what you're comfortable with. I don't ride with an armored jacket alot in the summer just because it's damned hot. But, I will ride with a long sleeve shirt and a full face just to keep the sun from baking me.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm in Tucson and this will be my 4 th summer on the scooter. I feel naked without gear on. I don't see myself as some kind of tough guy, but quite frankly, I just ride with the gear on. As long as you're moving, it's not too bad. If you get stuck at a light behind a school bus belching diesel, it's going to really suck.

Am I uncomfortable at times? most definitely. 110 degrees does not make for a pleasant riding, but it's not unpleasant enough for me NOT to ride. I have found, though, that I am more comfortable with the mesh on, than with just a t-shirt. The jacket keeps the sun from beating directly on my skin. So, I just gear up and go.. I do know quite a few people who just don't ride in triple digit temps. To each his own.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I'm from Michigan so take this for what it's worth but when it gets up into the high 80's and 90's here I'm glad for the mesh jacket for sure. In the book Proficient Motorcycling Hough talks about how when he temps exceed 98 degrees your actually trying to keep the heat out so you should where leather. I personally wouldn't ride in that kind of heat but then again we don't get many of those days in Michigan either.
Jasondavis48108 beat me to it. I was going to mention Proficient Motorcycling. I don't recall him saying to wear leather (probably he did since Jasondavis48108 commented on it), but I do recall a section where he told a story about when he was riding in the heat, and came perilously close to having heat stroke without realising it. He goes over the best ways to deal with heat, and the worst...riding in shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

Super book, for so many reasons. You will see it referred to here on the forum over and over. It's a great investment IMHO. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

It was unseasonably HOT here today. 91 degrees when I left from my work for my 40 mile trek home. . . had on my full-face helmet and mesh jacket. My upper areas stayed fairly cool, but my bum was soaked when I got home! I'm glad I was coming home and not on my way in to work with a soaked bum! I really need to get some grey mesh pants . . .I believe they do keep me cooler. . .
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I didn't read through the whole thread, and I'm not one to suggest any type of jackets or anything for hot weather because I usually don't wear a jacket once it gets past 70* here in NY, and I regularly wear a highly ventilated half, 3/4 or modular helmet....

Side note: I'm thinking about getting a mesh jacket with a liner for the sunny days like today that are low 50s to mid 60s, and MAYBE for hot days without the liner... but I'm still not 100% sold on it yet. I'm mostly thinking about my tattoos and how I don't want them to fade to crap really quickly from me getting super tan from not wearing a jacket in the summer and staying as cool as I would be if I were NOT wearing a jacket at the same time.

....BUT, I am all about hydration. I have had problems fainting on super hot days, vacations to Florida, and even on a boat for the Red Bull Air Race in NYC two years ago, due to heat exhaustion/dehydration and not "feeling thirsty" or having water (or anything else) available.

So I have this to offer, because you're a lady, and I'm assuming you carry a purse of some sort... or find it necessary to carry something, anything, that you might need for wherever you're going.
It's a small MESH hydration backpack. This one, to be exact.
I don't have that particular color, but I do have this one. It's small enough to fit only the things from my purse that I need, my e-reader/tablet (for when I'm at work), an extra 32oz bottle of water and some snacks. But it also has a mostly thermally-protected special pocket and attachment points for a 3 liter hydration bag and hose.(Whether it be camelbak, EMS, or what have you.)
After a trip last year that did not bring us past a gas station or any kind of rest area that could provide at the very least, water, for almost 2 hours, I will not leave on a trip without it (or my other non-mesh one). For me it means backpack tan, but I'm okay with that.
For the cooler months and trips at night I have another similar pack. It's not mesh but has A LOT of reflective stuff on all sides, it also has the special pocket and hooks for a hydration bag, but I haven't used a hydration-jobbie in it yet... It's an Osprey "Daylite" and it's a couple years old, I don't know what the new ones look like, or if they changed the name of the pack recently though, but I'm sure you can Google it. It doesn't quite have all of the features of the brand-spankin-new Jansport, but it's good enough for short trips, and travel to work and home. I have found that it's very warm on hot, sunny, humid days while hiking though, which is why I bought the new mesh pack.

I bought both from Zappos.com because all of the local hiking/outdoor sports shops around here only had giant trekking packs, and tiny camelbaks only meant to hold water. Regular backpacks didn't work either because I wanted a chest strap, or even a chest strap and a "lap" strap.
(The nice thing about the Jansport is that the lap strap has zipper pockets, in which I usually keep chapstick, my license and a debit/credit card for easy access.)

Side note #2: My pet carrier is full from the manual (and NY paperwork), 8ft cable and u-lock, disc lock, extra gloves, scarf, scooter cover, rain jacket, sometimes a change of clothes or shoes, and, of course, an emergency bottle of water, which does not leave me room to shove my purse in there without the possiblity of squishing my cell phone to oblivion... so I ALWAYS have some kind of pack instead.
Syd

Post by Syd »

AWinn6889 wrote:Side note: I'm thinking about getting a mesh jacket ... and MAYBE for hot days without the liner... but I'm still not 100% sold on it yet. I'm mostly thinking about my tattoos and how I don't want them to fade to crap really quickly from me getting super tan from not wearing a jacket in the summer and staying as cool as I would be if I were NOT wearing a jacket at the same time.
A good mesh jacket will keep you cooler than you would be if you were NOT wearing a jacket. As far as I'm concerned, that's true moving or not, but it is certain that mesh will be cooler than nothing when you are in motion.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Syd wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:Side note: I'm thinking about getting a mesh jacket ... and MAYBE for hot days without the liner... but I'm still not 100% sold on it yet. I'm mostly thinking about my tattoos and how I don't want them to fade to crap really quickly from me getting super tan from not wearing a jacket in the summer and staying as cool as I would be if I were NOT wearing a jacket at the same time.
A good mesh jacket will keep you cooler than you would be if you were NOT wearing a jacket. As far as I'm concerned, that's true moving or not, but it is certain that mesh will be cooler than nothing when you are in motion.
Thanks Syd! I don't personally know anyone (not here on MB) that has ever worn a mesh jacket. I could imagine that having the holes in the mesh may have a sort of fan effect, even without coolers it can make warm air into a cool breeze. All of my other 2-wheel friends ride "real motorcycles" and go with just a t-shirt in the summer, so I haven't gotten any real personal advice about them. The one I'm looking at is made by Scorpion, and it's mostly light colored, so it shouldn't be too miserable when stopped, but it still may be somewhat irritating I'm sure. The particular one I'm looking at gets really good reviews anyway.

I'm still not going to wear my modular in the summer though. It was hot in that thing today and it wasn't that warm out. First to be ordered is a new 3/4, then the mesh jacket. :?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Mesh jackets are great (my biggest pet peeve is the "Racer" look of most of them--I ended up with the Alpine Stars Verona jacket which I love: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... acket.aspx).

I second the issue with an open-faced helmet: you will get heat burn from the wind in your face! I actually think a full face helmet is much more comfortable, even in the heat. But to each their own!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

I've been looking and I'm struggling to find any lighter colored mesh pants . . . I really want some as I'm convinced they will keep me cooler than my usual slacks. . . and safer too. I've followed the links provided and somehow am missing the grey and silver options . . . well, except for the $300 pair. . . I'm looking to spend half of that. . . Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

PeterC wrote: There are vests available that you can soak with water, and serve as an evaporative cooler. Ditto neckbands.
A wet bandanna works well for the neck, at least for the shorter rides I tend to be on (sometimes I wet one and toss it in the freezer for ten-ish minutes before I head out). Some of the high-tech more expensive fabrics might be better for long rides. Pretty sure it was Hough who claimed that the cooling properties were multi-faceted: cools the air flowing into your helmet through evaporation. Cools the blood flowing into your head.

For me it's a subtle thing - doesn't feel like you've got an air conditioner strapped to your chest. But when i forget the bandanna I always end up thinking "whoa, is this how hot it always is when it's this hot?"

Also if you get to your destination and forget to remove the bandanna, it just looks like you're making a cowboy, ranch hand, or pirate fashion statement. Is this a bonus? I don't really know...
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Quo Vadimus wrote: Also if you get to your destination and forget to remove the bandanna, it just looks like you're making a cowboy, ranch hand, or pirate fashion statement. Is this a bonus?
Yes. :ninja:
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

One of the gals in our group uses those blue ice packs in her jacket when it's hot and humid.

I like the heat...I know I'm unusual...I have a modular helmet, bandana, a mesh jacket (for summer) and usually wear jeans (never shorts). Depending on the day and the ride I'll either wear my boots, tennis shoes or Dr. Martin's. I don't wear the same footwear two days in a row (if I can help it).
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'm with you! I barely wear the same shoes.

I have leather cons (not for riding!), armored shoes for longer rides, knee-high docs, various combat boots, and some normal tennies.

I also have a mesh jacket. I was sweltering in 75f, but as soon as we started moving it was great. The corazzo (promise I'll review crap this week) is pretty good too with the vest out and vents open, even though it's a solid style jacket. Much more comfortable than anticipated, though I do plan on getting some saddle bags and such for holding things during longer rides.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

pugbuddy wrote:Mesh jackets are great (my biggest pet peeve is the "Racer" look of most of them--I ended up with the Alpine Stars Verona jacket which I love: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... acket.aspx).

I second the issue with an open-faced helmet: you will get heat burn from the wind in your face! I actually think a full face helmet is much more comfortable, even in the heat. But to each their own!
I'm looking at these:
Joe Rocket Women's Cleo 2.0 in Blue
First Gear Women's Contour Mesh in Gold
Fieldsheer Women's Breeze 3.0 in Silver or White
Rev'it Women's Air Jacket in Blue

They are almost all a little bit Power Ranger-y, but I don't care too much about that. There are a lot of other nice ones out there, but so many are totally or mostly BLACK, which doesn't seem to make much sense to me for both keeping cool, and visibility.
Also, I'm going to have a full shield on the 3/4 helmet (and the 2nd sun visor) to minimize wind burn, but you can get that from any type of wind really, doesn't matter if it's hot, pleasant or freezing. I like my modular helmet, but it really just gets too warm, even with all the vents open, when the temps get up around 70*.

Smarkum, I have noticed the same problem with pants, they are all if not mostly black, and/or fairly expensive.
Motorcycle-Superstore has a few less-'spensive ones to choose from like these Scorpion ones in white and silver, but they are still about 75% black. There is also the Tourmaster ones that also come in silver, but yes, they still have black on them.
The pair with the least amount of black are the Rev'it Airwave ones in White/Silver, but they are nearly $200 all said and done.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

smarkum wrote:I've been looking and I'm struggling to find any lighter colored mesh pants . . . I really want some as I'm convinced they will keep me cooler than my usual slacks. . . and safer too. I've followed the links provided and somehow am missing the grey and silver options . . . well, except for the $300 pair. . . I'm looking to spend half of that. . . Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Joe Rocket makes mesh pants in grey for men.
Look at Revzilla or MotorcycleGear.com (formerly New Enough) for discounts.

They're not the best out there, but they're better than jeans. I used to wear JR mesh in the summer until I picked up my Olympia Air Glides. If you're on a budget, join a bunch of forums (motorcycle, not just scooter related) and stalk the gear-for-sale sections. eBay is also a good place to look.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I have this exact jacket and I love it. It is almost like not wearing a jacket (when you're moving), and I was able to ride with it pretty late into the year with the zip out wind liner.

A bandanna also has the advantage of keeping the sun off your neck. Indispensible if you don't want to find out where the term "redneck" comes from.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

heatherkay wrote:
I have this exact jacket and I love it. It is almost like not wearing a jacket (when you're moving), and I was able to ride with it pretty late into the year with the zip out wind liner.

A bandanna also has the advantage of keeping the sun off your neck. Indispensible if you don't want to find out where the term "redneck" comes from.
Awesome. Thank you! That jacket is probably my favorite out of all of the ones I linked to. Do you have it in gold or a different color? I never trust on-screen colors to depict what the actual real-life colors are, the "gold" looks nice, but I don't want to end up looking like a mustard bottle on wheels either.

I always wear a bandana, scarf, or neck warmer too.
The only thing that changes (other than which I wear based on temperature) is where on my face/neck it is positioned.
Half helmet = bank robber/ninja style, 3/4 = should be on a horse wranglin' cows style, Modular = just up over my chin to keep wind from coming in under the chin bar.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I have the gold one. It is sort of a slightly browned out yellow more than a true gold. But still slightly metallic.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:Also if you get to your destination and forget to remove the bandanna, it just looks like you're making a cowboy, ranch hand, or pirate fashion statement. Is this a bonus?
Yes. :ninja:
+1. But if you get one of those dedicated motorcyclist neck wraps, you may look like you lost your BMW R1200GS. :)

(Uh, actually that looks kind of useful. Does it come in red?)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

heatherkay wrote:

Actually, the term "Redneck" is one of pride for those in the South, because it actually doesn't come from simply having a sunburned neck from working out doors. Originally it was used to describe poor white members of the Southern Democratic party in the late 19th and very early 20th century. Many of the members of the party wore red bandanas to show sympathy for the working class members who were under constant abuse for attempting to Unionize much of the labor industry in the South, especially by those who were against integration of employees and against unionization in general.

It became popular in the Appalachian region of the US when Coal miners in the United Coal Workers of America adopted the red bandana as a sign of solidarity by all races of miners against the rich mine owners who were notorious for abuse and corruption. The term gained momentum as a slur against poor white workers because many of the labor conflicts in the South during the early 20th century were led by white "Strikers"; Coal miners who sided with all races of miners against union-busters hired by the mine owners.

And this is what you get with a minor in History kids... useless facts :P
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>