2013 Honda 'Met Revealed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

2013 Honda 'Met Revealed

Post by JHScoot »

Any takers? Trading in the 'Bud 50 for one?

Fuel injected, liquid cooled, more storage, and it's a Honda.

I think it's a qt, myself. What say you?

MSRP, unchanged.

Image[/url]

Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

How does it ride? :twisted:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

dunno i figure like a cute little scoot :)
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I've always liked the look of the Met, I think it's adorbs... but it doesn't fit my needs at all. If they made a 125 or 150 with the Met's body style, gave it more pep (I've seen it said the Met is notoriously sluggish even for a 50... dunno about the new FI one) and gave it capacity for 2 riders, I'd totally snag one.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Even though I think it's pretty nice looking and I've always thought that about Mets, I can't imagine trading a Buddy of any size for it. When I first started thinking of getting a scooter, the Met was in serious contention because it's really the perfect physical size for me. However, as soon as I learned how gutless they are, I crossed it off the list. I want a magic scooter that's both really small and powerful enough to do at least 60mph. The Buddy comes as close to being that magic scoot as possible, I think.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have to agree. the met is a great scoot, but not a fast one. FI or not, I don't see them getting much faster at 4t. they are awesome if you have no need to go over 30.

Honda is a great brand, and I am still regretting getting rid of my totally beat up civic for something newer that crapped out. The black is also awesome, but after riding a lot of my friend's mets, it's small even for me at 5'7"

Several years from now if I found one used with 1k miles for $1k like I'm finding the older mets on CL around here...maybe!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i like they gave this one a more traditional headlight mast. i never favored the integrated one of the OG 'Met. i mean it was fine and all, but a bit underwhelming in style. imo sort of chic, maybe? this is more straightforward :)

i guess still limited to side street and neighborhood duty, though? oh well thats great for some. little beachcomber scoot

i read last week the PCX is going with a 150, too. this makes it freeway legal if not quite capable, most likely
Riding is riding
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

mmm, even the carbed Mets will do better than 30. The Mrs' uncorked (restrictor plate on intake removed, rejetted) '09 will do very well in local traffic up through forty-something. The Met II, held back to +- 25 from the factory, is another story. She got it over the Bud 50.

I spent an afternoon riding it 138 miles around this end of the state.
The biggest shortfall was the seat length. If the 'standard' scoot-riding positon is ok for you, it's good. In extended rides where you want to change position from time-to-time, or if you're long-legged, not so much. YMMV.
honi soit qui mal y pense
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ its interesting you mention that, the slight modding / derestriction. i forgot about that but sure, i have seen these little scoots flying down the road. and i have read they do quite well up to their top speed

i have a secondary highway style road a half block from me and ride it all the time. from time to time a little 'Met or Vino Classic will pass going the other direction, fully up to speed

little buggers do quite well if given time. but still in L.A....i would be kinda scared :(
Riding is riding
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

I lived in LA for eight years. In LA, you would be well-advised to have a tail-gunner.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ah man that would be sweet. i read bikers and such carry ball bearings to toss over there shoulders. i would never do that even if i rode a fast bike. its dangerous

but dreaming of a tail gun can't be bad, right?

rat-a-tat-tat!
Riding is riding
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Isn't that a 108cc? R
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

oh don't many wish! its a 50, rest assured

however Kymco is ready to do battle with an all new Sento 50i. the catch? they also sell the Sento as a 100cc in other markets. if it could make its way here it could be an interesting 'lil 'Met fighter

Riding is riding
DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

The "old" Metropolitan was the fastest 50cc 4t in the US market.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I wouldn't trade in my Buddy for one, but I'd recommend it to someone who liked the look of it. I'm a little surprised that the '13 model only comes in three colors (black/grey, white/brown, black/red), and none of them particularly "fun". The funky design options (see below) were one of the things that attracted me to the Metro when I first started looking at scooters:

Last edited by TVB on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

The Met is cute and I'm a big Honda fan but there's no way I'd trade my Buddy 50 for one. The 50cc scoots are just too small to go 4T, at least with a 2T Buddy you start off with more power and it's relatively easy to get even more out of it. I weigh 200lb and my Buddy 50 is doing 50mph actual with only a stage 1 kit. Couldn't do that with a Met.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

My brother in the middle of nowhere (Honda dealers nearby, no Genuine dealers for hundreds of miles) is thinking of getting his kids a 50 to share in a few years. I think this will be perfect.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

for those "in the know" might this mean discounts on the outgoing model? incentives, maybe? some freebies included?

i mean its cheap enough but oh so dated now :P
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The new 150PCX does look pretty nice too. I mean, it's no Italia, but I'd probably get made fun of less on it :P.

Regardless though I'm happy with mine, and unless they put a 250 engine in the same buddy style, I'm sticking with Yoda for as long as possible :P.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

yaasss...EFI stone-ax startability...mmm...thinking of the aftermarket goodness that must inevitably follow: more capacious throttle-bodies, squirtier injector nozzles, re-maps, unlimited CDIs, pipes, final drive gears, springs, retrofit discs, by jingo...yaasss...

and a reinvigorated market for stretch kits and fatties...and footpegs...and real racks...a new builder's platform is born...
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

geez....still using a ft drum brake...really??
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

[quote="skully93"]The new 150PCX does look pretty nice too. I mean, it's no Italia, but I'd probably get made fun of less on it :P.

That may well become the new scooter to beat in the 150 class. The SH150i is going but the new PCX will have its engine. Serious competition for Genuine, I'm afraid.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

So what's the 150's price point????
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

The PCX150 is not priced yet on Honda's website.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I hate to say it, but I really don't like anything about Honda's new/current line-up.
None of the 50s are practical for my area, so those get crossed off the list right away. The Met is cute, and maybe it's fun, but I still think it won't be a competitor for the Buddy (even though their kind of ripping off the Black Jack with their black/red combo). The Ruckus is what it is, I know a few people with them, but if they need to go anywhere with it they have to throw it on a truck. The bigger bikes are all meh. The Elite would still be under-powered for around here, the looks are okay, but nothing special, and the SH150i is overpriced for what it is. I guess the PCX and Silverwing are kind of cool, but I'm not into the scooter-that-looks-like-a-weird-motorcycle-type-thing look. If I'm going to ride a scooter, I want it to look like a scooter.

Not to hate on Honda, they build some great bikes... I really wish they would bring back the Valkyrie, not for myself of course because that thing was a monster, but because it was really something awesome that was different, and appealed to a lot of people.
...but they really need to either add more bikes to, or put some more thought into their current line-up.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Southerner wrote:
That may well become the new scooter to beat in the 150 class. The SH150i is going but the new PCX will have its engine. Serious competition for Genuine, I'm afraid.
The PCX is not direct competition for the Buddy imo. Bigger wheels, bigger bike, 100% modern styling over the Buddy's more traditional lines.

If I were shopping the PCX I would not cross shop it with a Buddy. But a Blur, sure.

In which case I know which I'd pick. And it doesn't wear an "H" badge.
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Ok forget that 'Met. Looks like SYM / Lance have fixed the Cali Classic 125 and are calling it the Havana 125. Which is new here but is most likely old in other markets. But, we'll take what we can get.

It carries the same MSRP as the 'Met, but is much more scoot for the money. Even without fuel injection imo.

Gone are the dumb chrome handlebars. Anybody take one over the 50cc 'Met at the same price? Or less once the Honda dealer is done piling on fees.

Riding is riding
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

it is a nice aesthetic package & several folks I occasionally ride with @ scooter club events have older ones; considering that I could barely get 48 mph on flat ground with an Aprilia Scarabeo 100 (92cc 4-stroke) I wouldn't go below a 125 in a 4T again, hence the Buddy 125 I currently have
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

JHScoot wrote:Ok forget that 'Met. Looks like SYM / Lance have fixed the Cali Classic 125 and are calling it the Havana 125. Which is new here but is most likely old in other markets. But, we'll take what we can get.

It carries the same MSRP as the 'Met, but is much more scoot for the money. Even without fuel injection imo.

Gone are the dumb chrome handlebars. Anybody take one over the 50cc 'Met at the same price? Or less once the Honda dealer is done piling on fees.

I do like that Joker style. And having the SYM name attached makes it even better.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I would buy and ride that scooter, sure. I tried to find more pics but they are scare. Maybe under the SYM model name? The Cello, iirc?

It's depicted with whitewall tires and in several colors in the brochure. And seeing a couple Cali Classic's in person a couple weeks ago, it is a big scooter. I like that.
Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

And I agree that the headlight treatment looks more finished than the original, which looked like something attached to a bicycle.

But I thought the cyclish bars had some appeal.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I like that Lance as well. It looks kind of like a Vino, with the Buddy's DOT lights.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

just got our 1st shipment of Havana Classic 125's ....sold 3 the same day.
Attachments
Lance-Havana-Classic-125-338-06.jpg
Lance-Havana-Classic-125-338-06.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
Lance-Havana-Classic-125-338-05.jpg
Lance-Havana-Classic-125-338-05.jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

hardd1 wrote:just got our 1st shipment of Havana Classic 125's
Can you tell by the first 3 VIN characters if the Lance Havana Classic is produced by SYM China? For others curious . . an accessory rear rack is around $100.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

1st three letters of the vin: RFG
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The 'Met is a sharp scooter there, and EFI is the way to go. But, 50cc's in America is just too small. Then again, I'm no advocate for the T-Max maxi scooter insanity (Just get a standard bike at that rate!!!), but sub-40mph is just not enough.

Now, if they put the 110cc engine in this, THAT would be a solid winner! Otherwise, the design ascetic is decent. Not outstanding, but Honda usually isn't one for screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!"... well, except for the PCX150.

As for Lance? Once Chinese junk...

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see one of their scooters in a positive light. It takes alot for a scoot to gain reliability. SYM, Kymco, PGO... they've been in the business for decades and had an impressive resume and research department to pull from and it shows. Lance is just another mainland appliance-shipper. And, another Joker-clone just doesn't impress me.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I loved my Met. I unfortunately had an '05 (they made'em a bit faster starting on '06) and eventually dumped it because I needed more vroom.

But the handling and comfort is amazing. Seriously. I think the Met is ideal for a commuter, especially in California with lane splitting. I could fit through everything. My buddy had a Buddy 125 that was a clunky beast next to me. Yes, he had more speed and acceleration, but the Met just outmaneuvered him nonstop.

I had the Black Kanji design (which TVB put a picture up :))

I miss it sometimes. I abused the hell out of it, and it ran like a champ. Never a single problem with the battery either (and I would do a lot of "30 second rides" to/from lunch to save me 10 mins of time). It's also small and easy to park in crowded places, slipping in or out. I definitely did some questionable parking during lunchtimes that I would never do with my Blur. (sidewalk a few times, parking people seemed fine with it: yay West LA).

Don't miss the lack of speed though.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That Sym Havana Classic is one hella nice looking bike. If it has Buddy-like pep, and is actually made by Sym, and a reasonable price, they have a winner on their hands.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

DaBinChe wrote:The "old" Metropolitan was the fastest 50cc 4t in the US market.
The Yamaha C3 (2007-2011) was faster :wink:
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

neotrotsky wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see one of their scooters in a positive light. It takes alot for a scoot to gain reliability. SYM, Kymco, PGO... they've been in the business for decades and had an impressive resume and research department to pull from and it shows. Lance is just another mainland appliance-shipper. And, another Joker-clone just doesn't impress me.
Ouch!!....New Lance products are built by SYM.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've got a Honda Elite 80 in my driveway. (belongs to my son, once he's licensed.) That is the most comfortable scooter I've ever ridden. If I ever decide to get an under 100cc bike, that is what I'll be looking for. Fun as hell to ride.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

hardd1 wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:

So they say. But, I'd buy it from Sym direct instead of Lance. They are simply another importer that will sell whatever they can push. When you buy as many wholesale units as possible, you're bound to have one success by the law of averages. But, they have zero dealer network and a bad track record of pushing Chinese junk. Lance? I'll pass.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

gitsum79 wrote:
DaBinChe wrote:The "old" Metropolitan was the fastest 50cc 4t in the US market.
The Yamaha C3 (2007-2011) was faster :wink:
Out of curiosity: How fast DOES the C3 go? Realistically. We've been discussing perhaps bypassing buying a nice Stella for a commuter scooter and funneling the money to a work jeep/van for audio production. If it can average 45mph, it may be of some very good use. I actually like the quirky design and massive cargo space

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Just want to say many reputable dealers now carry Lance including NoHo Scooters here in L.A. Chances are they would not if they could not stand behind the product and supply service and parts for it. Many of these same dealers would not touch Lance before as Lance distributed chinese scooters made by Znen and others. But now they sell just a couple of SYM models. I think its a safe buy.

The company? Small potatoes in the scooter game, I think? And some questionable dealings in the past. But they seem up and up now./
Riding is riding
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Howardr wrote:I've got a Honda Elite 80 in my driveway. (belongs to my son, once he's licensed.) That is the most comfortable scooter I've ever ridden. If I ever decide to get an under 100cc bike, that is what I'll be looking for. Fun as hell to ride.

Howard
There are a ton of Elite 80, 125, 150, and 250's in SoCal. I think they are cute but I really needed something that can maintain 50 easily and the 250's were too big for my taste. Maybe one day I'll pick up an 80 or 150.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

hardd1 wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:

I wouldn't be particularly reticent as long as it was sold by a dealership who will back it up. If it's a bad product, the dealer will make it good and will probably quietly withdraw it from their offerings if it gives them trouble. It's hard to get the stink off once a product gets a bad rap. People still repeat the old saws about parts falling off Harleys even though that was only correctly attributed to the AMF era, which was during the 70s.

I liked the Joker design even before I knew what it was. Kinda thought the handlebar design was cool but a more conventional scooter headset will probably sell more. I notice that Honda went with a bare handlebar design yet again with the PCX.

I expect that a 125 would be adequate even for somebody my size (near 200 pounds) down there in Flatistan.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The Honda Metro isn't right for everyone, but apparently it's right for a lot of people. I see them all over. In fact, in the past 15 minutes sitting on my front porch, I've seen three of them scoot past.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Gosh knows, the Metropolitan is popular - and Honda has a great reputation for reliability. Having said that, I find the Metropolitan hard to like personally. I have ridden one several times. They are so small that any but quite small riders feel awkward on them (IMO) and they are very slow - compared to a Buddy 50, for example. To each their own :wink: .
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Yeah I gotta agree. The Metro is even popular over here in my small town.

Wonder if this new model will be just as popular?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I think the answer is that it's pretty much the cheapest Honda one can buy.

I still don't understand how adults can get much use out of a 50cc scooter, no matter who the manufacturer is. I would think one would have to have a minimum of at least 100cc to be truly capable of even local streets, much less highways of any sort.

Not that I'm trying to force an assertion on anyone; I'm just puzzled.