Too big for a 170i?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

drhurricane36

Too big for a 170i?

Post by drhurricane36 »

I'm and total newbie in the scooter world but I'm excited to take the leap. Went shopping yesterday and really like the green 170i. I'm 6'2" and concerned I may be too big. I was also looking at the Vespa 300. I fit better on it but it did seem to lose that scooter feeling. And a nice perk I'm looking for in a scooter is the ability to park just about anywhere:). Not sure I could get away with that on the 300. Any taller riders with insight? And happy to take in any scooter recommendations from the experts.
Many Thanks!
issue31

To Big

Post by issue31 »

:D I am also 6'2 265 lbs and have a new 170 sense the first of april. So far it has handled me with no problems. I did check the tires, they were both at 35 lbs. Ride was a little rough. Took the front downn to 25 and the rear to 30, quite a difference! :lol: I take it up and down hills in the Mississipy valleys around here. issue31 John
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

I'm 6' 4" and have been happy with the Buddy. I can ride it without my knees hitting the front but I'd sit on one to make sure for yourself.

As far as Buddy vs. 300, it seems like the consensus is that the Buddy is more nimble and fun to ride and can't be beat for in-city riding. Obviously 300 can go faster and would be much better for 2-up riding, but you'd lose some of the feel of a smaller-wheeled scoot.

I am considering a larger scoot eventually but only because I'd like something my wife and I can ride together. Buddy has been great for now.
TVB

Re: Too big for a 170i?

Post by TVB »

drhurricane36 wrote:And a nice perk I'm looking for in a scooter is the ability to park just about anywhere:). Not sure I could get away with that on the 300.
You may not be able to get away with it on the Buddy, either. The 170 is classified and registered in every state as a "motorcycle", which means you need to park it as a motor vehicle. (I generally do the same with my Buddy 50, even though I legally might get away with parking it elsewhere.) You still have an advantage in being able to fit it into smaller parking spots than a car would squeeze into, but sidewalks and bike racks... don't plan on it.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

in Denver enforcement can be lax, but I don't want to be the recipient of the actual ticket when they do find out.

Either they'll tow it off and destroy it, or you'll get an $80 ticket. Denver now thinks that we're Manhattan, with the parking fines and housing prices :P.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm not allowed to park on the sidewalk next to stores, but I do all the time anyway and no one gives it a second thought. People treat it just like a bicycle. I've parked at entrances next to stores right in front of cops and they don't say a thing.

Your experience may differ though. I guess it's up to your local law enforcement. I'm just saying in my neck of the woods it's no problem (so far).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I believe a may be able to offer some helpful insights, although my experience with these scooters are limited. So understand that. But imo if the 300 is comfortable for you, so will the Buddy be. Eventually.

So long as the feet aren't to big. Yes the knees do poke out sometimes, and it is tight if you want to keep the legs straight behind the leg sheid. But if you do some occasional shifting and adjust your foot position from time to time or often, the Buddy is fine. And if commuting at distance you know the difference between a Buddy and Vespa 300 already. A whole set of other reasons appear to consider the 300

That said, I have only sat on a 300. But for a long, long time. It's not actual riding position(s) as the bike wasn't moving, the body not loose and in motion. But I was able to simulate these things and move around. For myself I found the Buddy more appropriate. In some part these are subjective reasons so are my own. But you and other taller riders may feel the same. And perhaps large of foot, also.

On the 300 the partition in the middle of the floor bothered my feet. I suppose after awhile a person makes the most of the hump down there, but I did not feel like I would want too. Foot fit issues can be solved with after market hardware. I do not want that, either.

Sitting in a natural, straight up position on the Vespa put me what felt to be far forward on it. I felt somewhat cramped. This could simply be a seat issue. But again, it felt small for it's size. Perhaps on road this is a good thing? But it didn't seem right for this tall person

Lastly the gauges were just under my nose. I also find this of other "classic style" scooters I have sat upon such as the Kymco Like and Lance Cali Classic. The Buddy headlight for this tall person is well below and in front of me, no matter where I sit on the scooter seat. Speaking for myself it makes the scooter seem roomier then the 300 as the Vespa made me feel planted in one position while on the Buddy I can shift and move around without issue.

Other things will factor in. But those are my subjective observations

If you think you can get used to the Buddy....whatever that is for you....and you want one? By all means this 6'3 rider says get one.

Size 13 Doc Martens, too.
Last edited by JHScoot on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I don't live where you do, but I had a 170i. Loved it. I'm not tall but I am big... I was 235. I had no problems with sitting/leg room on the Buddy. However, although we have many tall/big Buddy riders here on MB and I know many irl, I also know some who have chosen something else because they said the Buddy didn't "fit" them. So, what it comes down to is that you need to go sit on one and decide how you feel about it. Test ride it if you are able.

As for parking, be careful. A 170i is going to be classified as a motorcycle since it is over 50cc. Most states/localities only let 'mopeds' (50cc and less) park so freely- for example, here in Richmond a 'moped' can park at a bike rack, on a sidewalk as long as it isn't blocking the walkway or a storefront during business hours, and it can be chained to things like signs and lightposts on the sidewalk legally. 'Motorcycles' cannot do those things, even if they are the same size.

Now, that doesn't mean Lokky and I didn't get away with it. We'd park with the license plates facing the wall so passing policemen couldn't see the MC plates if we were worried. When we went grocery shopping, the Target and Kroger we frequented didn't care if we parked on their sidewalk near the bike rack.

The Buddy's emblem that says '170' on the front, indicating the displacement, can be removed, and I've heard of license plate kits that make it so your license plate can easily be detached and removed by you, so that you can park and take your plate in with you where you're going.

Here's the downside to leaving your scoot unplated: here in Richmond, idk about anywhere else... if authorities decide to do something about a 50cc/moped that they decide is parked wrong (i.e. a store has complained, or it's blocking the walkway, or chained to something completely inappropriate)... since they have no way to identify and ticket you for the violation, they just break your chain and tow you and charge you all the fines, which is way more costly than a parking ticket and potentially dangerous to your scoot.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'm 6' and 250lbs. It has adequate room but when I strap something to the rear of the seat it gets cramped. I find I slide to the back of the seat most of the time with my legs straight, heels at the base of the frame neck, toes i the wind. Sometimes your butt goes to sleep because there's not much padding in the rear.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm on the bigger side myself, 6'4" and 240#. For me it came down to the type of riding I was doing.

Around town and short trips, I love riding the Buddy. I tried a few 100 to 200 mile trips and I found myself feeling cramped and uncomfortable. So, I bought a couple of larger motorcycles for longer trips and touring.

I think if I was limited to a scooter only, I'd have to look at one of the larger scoots (maybe even a maxi-scoot, although I don't like the styling) to accomodate the variety of riding I enjoy.

And then there is also my better half feeling obliged to tease me. At some point I'm going to get upset with her comments that I look like a circus bear riding a bike when I'm on the scoot.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I also agree with previous posted sentiment. The buddy being small is easy
to park. I often park 10' from the exit of home depot. When I go to any stow I generally park on the sidewalk. It's also very flickable, a traight that makes its low power more acceptable. I also find the it's undersprung and under damped for serious handling. I find that because Of my weight mid corner bumps upset the cornering lines. It is still plenty of fun but I'm looking at a better rear shock.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Well, I'm 6'1" 185 and the scooter feels fine. My wife (5'4" 120) rides as a passanger alot and still the scooter is big enough. If you just want a city scoot the 170 is the best.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

2wheels got it just about spot on. Its fine. Worst part for me is at longish lights and extended stops I begin to feel as if my 6'3, 240lb frame overwhelms the scooter a bit. I can just stand and toss it back and forth between my legs. Seat might feel a bit smallish and narrow. But just riding along is great.

Honestly the BJ feels like a small, low slung sports scooter under my large frame while whipping it around.. It's a very cool feeling.
Riding is riding
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'm 6'1" and 200lb. I've had my Buddy 50 for three years now and I don't feel cramped on it. For one of those years I even rode two up with my son around town. That was cramped but doable. I've say it's very personal and you'd need to get on the scooter and preferably take it for a test ride. I also have to say that if money where not an issue I'd buy the Vespa 250 (don't like the cowl vents on the 300). My guess is that the Vespa would only be slightly faster but it's just a beautiful scooter. It also doesn't lose the scooter feel that you do when you move into the maxi scooter category. That and I looked at one before our local shop closed and the suspension on it was amazing, something my buddy definitely lacks lol :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

For city riding the 170 is perfect. If you plan on highway riding, the 170 is NOT the vehicle. I cant comment on the 300 other than its bigger. I think you(the OP) is spot on in saying the 300 loses some of the "scooter" factor. Add the fact that its 7000+ OTD, and I scratch it off my list.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
lovemysan

Re: Too big for a 170i?

Post by lovemysan »

drhurricane36 wrote:I'm and total newbie in the scooter world but I'm excited to take the leap. Went shopping yesterday and really like the green 170i. I'm 6'2" and concerned I may be too big. I was also looking at the Vespa 300. I fit better on it but it did seem to lose that scooter feeling. And a nice perk I'm looking for in a scooter is the ability to park just about anywhere:). Not sure I could get away with that on the 300. Any taller riders with insight? And happy to take in any scooter recommendations from the experts.
Many Thanks!

drhurricane, where are you located maybe an mb member would let you test ride there buddy.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

6'3" here. I fit the 170 well. The only issue I have i the size 13's in the footwell are a bit tight.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?