Riding Bucket List

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Riding Bucket List

Post by Rob »

It dawned on me the other day, that I have a scoot/MC riding bucket list .... some of which I have already completed? Anyone else have one?

The evergreen and growing list:
Ride the Tail of the Dragon. Completed on both the scooter and MC a few years back.

Ride around the Indy 500 track. Also completed on both bikes a while back.

Ride around Lake Michigan. Completed on a MC last summer.

Things remaining, and ranked in likelihood of me actually doing them:
Route 66. The complete trip from Chicago to LA. Will definitely be on a MC and this trip will happen.

Make a trip around all of the Great Lakes. I would like to make this trip on the scoot, but that's iffy. Probably more likely to happen on a MC. I'd say this is a 75% possibility.

Tour Europe by bike. I talked to an outfit that specializes in these tours at the Chicago MC show and haven't been able to shake the idea ever since. Probably 50/50 in the next 2 or 3 years.

Alaska to South America. Ok, it's unlikely to happen, probably .001%, but it's a dream trip. Would definitely have to happen on a MC. I should have never read "Lois on the Loose" by Lois Pryce.

Make the Cannonball Scooter Run. I just added this after reading a thread on the this year's event. Unlikely to happen, I'll say 5%, but I'm thinking about something that didn't have much appeal to me before this.

(Added) A ride anywhere in British Columbia. A friend just returned from a MC trip (on rented bikes) through BC. The scenery was absolutely incredible.

** Edited for a more realistic Alaska to South America probability (no way was that a 1% before) and to add the Cannonball Run.
** Another edit to add BC

Rob
Last edited by Rob on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

I once sat down and started making a list of everywhere in the world I wanted to go, and quickly realized that it was more places than any human with less than a billion dollars could get to in less than three of four lifetimes (Pitcairn Island, Antarctica, Mount Kilimanjaro, Faeroe Islands, Low Earth Orbit....) so I dropped it. A scooting list would suffer the same problem.

But there are some places I'm actively thinking of going, and a few I've already done.

"Ride around Lake Michigan" would be on the list, and I wholeheartedly encourage others to do it. But I've already scooted as far around it as I really wanted (from Michigan City IN to Manitowoc WI, the long way), so I'll probably let this one lie. I've also already done the Lake Huron/St Clair shoreline from Mackinac to Lake Erie.

This summer I'm going to finish visiting every county in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, plus pick up a couple counties in the UP, visiting Tahquamenon Falls.

Next summer, I plan to finish up my grand scooter tour of Michigan by riding through the western UP, hopefully with side trips through Door County WI, and hiking scooterless Isle Royale).

After that, I'm thinking of going to Rocky Mountain National Park, mainly for backpacking, but probably renting a scooter to see more than I could on foot.

No firm ideas beyond that. The Lake Superior shoreline doesn't lend itself to scooting: too few roads that actually follow the coast. On the opposite hand, Lakes Erie and Ontario are a bit urban and unscenic for my tastes. Otherwise there are so many places I want to go... and ride a scooter while I'm there.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I've been wanting to ride to Maine or the East coast for a while now. Would like to take a "tour" of the Southeastern states and then through the Carolinas too. But I'd have to have at least a month off and plenty of extra money to boot! Not likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

US 20 from Boston to Newport, OR. It goes from US 1 to US 101.

The Dragon would be fun - some maxi-scoot local folks go regularly.

A B&B tour of Ireland might be nice, also, but that's hard to organize.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I would love to go riding on an island one day. I don't know why this is?

Actually I think I would like to live on an island before I "kick the bucket" and ride a scooter while there, of course. I have Avalon nearby ( Catalina Island to non locals and tourists) and that may be good enough. And close enough to the mainland when I might need it
Riding is riding
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nothing so grand, as the others, but Arizona Snowbowl to Flagstaff to Wickenberg and back on Hwy 89a (through Oak Creek and Sedona, Jerome to Prescott), and Mt Lemmon outside Tucson would be my top choices.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:I would love to go riding on an island one day. I don't know why this is?

Actually I think I would like to live on an island before I "kick the bucket" and ride a scooter while there, of course. I have Avalon nearby ( Catalina Island to non locals and tourists) and that may be good enough. And close enough to the mainland when I might need it
I like islands. Several of my favorite vacation destinations have been islands (Royale, North Manitou, Mackinac, Iceland... can I count Great Britain?), there are a bunch I want to go to, and the day I got to spend scooting around on Curaçao was the highlight of that cruise. A scooter tour of Bermuda is somewhere near the top of my subconscious Vacations To Do list.

Islands are isolated from the rest of the world, and self-contained. With some time you can get the satisfaction of knowing the whole place. Plenty to like about them.
TVB

Re: Riding Bucket List

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:Alaska to South America. Ok, it's unlikely to happen, probably 1%, but it's a dream trip. Would definitely have to happen on a MC. I should have never read "Lois on the Loose" by Lois Pryce.
Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor have talked about doing this starting in Tierra del Fuego, as another installment in their "Long Way...." series. If you know how to use a video camera or have medical training, you might be able to go along as their cameraman or medic. :)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Nova Scotia, in a full loop of north and south. US 1 to Key West. Mexico hwy 1 from Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I just thought of the final thing. When I am ready to "kick the bucket," so to speak, I will just ride myself over a cliff Quadrophenia style. Best thing ever, and best way to end my life.

Last on my list, obviously. Will think of more. Italy would be a hoot just to take a picture of myself scooting and sipping espresso at some pretentious little cafe.

Ah yes, the good life. Lucky for me my scooter is 90% of that life, and Pikes Place Roast is fine by me :)
Riding is riding
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

JHScoot wrote:I would love to go riding on an island one day. I don't know why this is?

A nice East Coast, and very scooter friendly, pair of islands are Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. My parents' are selling our house on MV now, but that's something I'd like to do in the next couple of years before I head west.

Sidenote: It's pretty amazing, the celebrities you can run into there! I once sat maybe 3ft away from Michael J. Fox and his family at a little Italian restaurant in Edgartown. I've also seen Kelsey Grammer walking down Aquinnah beach toward the cliffs a couple of times too. I'm guessing the house he was staying in was one of the gigundo ones with a private beach on the non-cliff end. One time he was talking to someone walking in the other direction and while his head was turned he tripped over something and fell into some little kids' sandcastle. :lol: The last year I was there Johnny Depp sat down next to me in a booth at one of the coffee shops on the main strip in Vineyard Haven, just to say hello, and ask my sister and I for suggestions for a good place to go for lunch near the water... I didn't notice him there when I walked in and ordered, but once he started talking to us I felt like I was melting into the booth, totally kept my cool though 8). He noticed I was drinking tea and she was drinking iced coffee, so we discussed people not liking coffee before her and I had to leave. I will never forget that day.
I've seen a few more here and there, but those three were the ones I was ever closest to, it's nice to see that they do normal people stuff every once in a while I suppose.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ That would be great. If I stay healthy in my last years it would be my true pleasure to settle on an island somewhere and keep scooting until I can't anymore. A nice day to day life of riding and contemplation and maybe even a little fun.

If I can't do that (ride a scooter) chances are I would be at a point of not being able to do much else. Which is fine if injured or sick or affected somehow. But if just grown old and I cannot ride on account....I figure that will be enough life for me. So I might just ride into the ocean and say goodbye.

It would be a beautiful ending at a beautiful location doing what I love. IDK why I am thinking like this? I think maybe because I started riding in my mid 40's. And I am closer then I might like to think to an....end.

So, I would like to ride just as long as possible. And maybe live no longer then that. Meh, I'd probably adjust and terrorize the island roads on a Scooter Store scoot.

Hey, don't knock it. I'd be a King.

Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Personally, I would love for any chance to ride that didn't involve going to work and back. My wife refuses to ride and we don't have the spare cash for me to take more than a single day off so taking a week or more for road trips is just impossible since I need to be continuously working. Even then, I occasionally keep wishing I could've done Amerivespa. I even think about a short run to Colorado or California for a summer rally, but the lack of money and demands on me just come back to focus.

That, and the Rattler isn't my 1st, 2nd or even 3rd choice scooter for much, especially for long distance road trips. But, I'd try it anyways
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Think I gotta "do it" on a scooter at least once before I die. Do people do this? They must...

Just came to mind last night. Forget the circumstance :shhh:
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

JHScoot wrote:Think I gotta "do it" on a scooter at least once before I die. Do people do this? They must...

Rest assured you're not the only one who's thought about this. The idea however, was quashed quickly by logistics, the idea that a scooter could be damaged in the process, and my 'just... no' look. Ahem.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, my mother and aunt have both dreamed up scenarios similar to your drive-off-a-cliff idea. My mom is taking care of my grandmother, which is quite an undertaking, and as a result she's just decided that when she gets 'old', but before she becomes totally crazy like my grandmother, (she calls herself old now, but whatever) that my sisters and I should take her and my aunt on a cruise to Alaska, and they are going to rent snowmobiles and just disappear into the Alaskan wilderness. This is their most well thought out plan. I don't think it's very good.

Edit to phrase things a little less severely :)
Last edited by LunaP on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Logistics?

It's got a seat, handlebars, grips, a rear rack, and a flat floor. The point me thinks is to not be so logical! :P

Oh, and the story is great but I feel no better for it :nerd:
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:Also, if it makes you feel any better, my mother and aunt have both dreamed up scenarios similar to your drive-off-a-cliff idea. My mom is taking care of my grandmother, which is quite an undertaking, and as a result she's just decided that when she gets 'old', but before she becomes totally crazy like my grandmother, (she calls herself old now, but whatever) that my sisters and I should take her and my aunt on a cruise to Alaska, and they are going to rent snowmobiles and just disappear into the Alaskan wilderness. This is their most well thought out plan. I don't think it's very good.
To help them put it into perspective, show them the movie Into the Wild, about Christopher McCandless. Tell them it's a "how to" on survival in the Alaskan wilderness. Spoiler: He doesn't.
Rob

Re: Riding Bucket List

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor have talked about doing this starting in Tierra del Fuego, as another installment in their "Long Way...." series. If you know how to use a video camera or have medical training, you might be able to go along as their cameraman or medic. :)
I'll have to check out their "Long Way...." series. That sounds right up my alley.

As for tagging along as a "medic" .... highly improbable. I hate the sight of blood (and pass out at the sight of guts). My skills tops out at applying bandaids to scrapes and scratches.

As for the video aspect, I'm afraid people don't exactly line up to see my works of art. I'm one of those that is very thankful for the image stabilization technology and Photoshop Elements. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

AWinn6889 wrote:A nice East Coast, and very scooter friendly, pair of islands are Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
My wife and I will be departing from Boston this fall on vacation. I suggest we head out that way a few days early and spend some time in New England. She suggested Nantucket. Are there any other areas out that way that you'd recommend for 2 or 3 days? I'm assuming by scooter friendly there are scooter rentals available?

Thanks,
Rob
- Steven Wright
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I need to ride through a shopping mall, I think? Just ride right in and down the way. Maybe go up an escalator :)

Maybe crash a ball game and scoot around the bases at Dodger stadium?

Anyone ever see this guy? He is well on his way to "bucket list" legend, as he likes to do a little certain something with each "milestone" he turns....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dJyWCrTi1_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He also has videos posted of 3000m, 7000m, etc. Very matter of fact about it
Riding is riding
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:
LunaP wrote:Also, if it makes you feel any better, my mother and aunt have both dreamed up scenarios similar to your drive-off-a-cliff idea. My mom is taking care of my grandmother, which is quite an undertaking, and as a result she's just decided that when she gets 'old', but before she becomes totally crazy like my grandmother, (she calls herself old now, but whatever) that my sisters and I should take her and my aunt on a cruise to Alaska, and they are going to rent snowmobiles and just disappear into the Alaskan wilderness. This is their most well thought out plan. I don't think it's very good.
To help them put it into perspective, show them the movie Into the Wild, about Christopher McCandless. Tell them it's a "how to" on survival in the Alaskan wilderness. Spoiler: He doesn't.
I was going to answer, "Arctic Circle by way of Alaska," but, after reading the above, I think I'm going to go with "Key West" and leave it at that. :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

jrsjr wrote:
TVB wrote:
I was going to answer, "Arctic Circle by way of Alaska," but, after reading the above, I think I'm going to go with "Key West" and leave it at that. :wink:
Don't let that discourage you. With a little better pre-planning and skills development, McCandless most likely would have survived. Surely you'd be better prepared to make this journey. :D (It's difficult for me to use "surely" in a sentence these days without thinking of the Leslie Nielsen Airplane response). Although the Keys and Key West are hard to beat no matter what form of transportation you use to get there.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

I guess I'm bumping this one. But I really just wanted to add a ride through British Columbia to my list. A friend recently returned from a MC trip through BC on rented bikes. They rode for 10 days and the photos and scenery were absolutely incredible. This is a very doable trip, so I'm hoping this is one I complete.

Now if I could just win the lotto and retire, I might never get off the bikes.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Diblit

Post by Diblit »

i'm laughing as i read all of these posts! being new to scootering my thoughts are not on the long trips or bucket list, but on what adventure i'm going to go on today! each day i trek out a little further into the city and away from home. living in cincinnati there is a definite east side/west side mentality. i've lived on the east side all my life (okay...i'm 48 now) and have been on the western side of town three times in my life....and each time i've gotten lost! well, i took my scoot out yesterday and ventured over to the other side! quite an adventure!! and i made it home safely. so, my next ride? not sure yet...but it will be a little bit further away. one of these days i'm going to cross the river into kentucky to get a pic of the cincy skyline with my scoot in the foreground. i love the daily decisions on what my adventure will be!
And I shall call her "Fiona."

Rob

Post by Rob »

Diblit wrote:i'm laughing as i read all of these posts! being new to scootering my thoughts are not on the long trips or bucket list, but on what adventure i'm going to go on today! each day i trek out a little further into the city and away from home. living in cincinnati there is a definite east side/west side mentality. i've lived on the east side all my life (okay...i'm 48 now) and have been on the western side of town three times in my life....and each time i've gotten lost! well, i took my scoot out yesterday and ventured over to the other side! quite an adventure!! and i made it home safely. so, my next ride? not sure yet...but it will be a little bit further away. one of these days i'm going to cross the river into kentucky to get a pic of the cincy skyline with my scoot in the foreground. i love the daily decisions on what my adventure will be!
That's how we all start out. I venture to guess we'll see you in Indiana one of these days. :D

Rob
- Steven Wright
kitty

Post by kitty »

JHScoot wrote: Anyone ever see this guy? He is well on his way to "bucket list" legend, as he likes to do a little certain something with each "milestone" he turns....

He also has videos posted of 3000m, 7000m, etc. Very matter of fact about it
:shock:

That guy is a little... nuts. There's a seven minute video of him stomping on the kick starter getting nowhere.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

JHScoot wrote:Think I gotta "do it" on a scooter at least once before I die. Do people do this? They must...

So let me get this straight : sitting on top of 200+lbs 150 cc vibrator is not "thrill" enough? :twisted:
:rofl: :rofl:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

California Highway 1 & US 101.
That is, San Diego to Seattle, via the scenic route.

And if memory serves, a 150cc bike would suffice (but having clean clothes the whole trip would take a bit of creativity or an unrealistic luggage capacity).
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Rusty J wrote:California Highway 1 & US 101.

And if memory serves, a 150cc bike would suffice (but having clean clothes the whole trip would take a bit of creativity or an unrealistic luggage capacity).
I've done it as far as San Francisco (amazing ride) and look forward to going the rest of the way up to Vancouver.

One thing others have done is to mail clean clothing to pre-arranged addresses along the way, like to a hotel or something. That way you can have a clean change of clothes and simply mail your dirty clothes back home. I always thought that was pretty clever.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
amy

Post by amy »

As of this moment:

• Tail of the Dragon (2012)
• Amerivespa in San Diego (2013)
• Pacific Coast Highway, San Diego to San Francisco (2013)
• A day tour of Washington, D.C.
• Scoot around Massachusetts: Boston>ferry to P-Town, down the Cape>Nantucket>Martha's Vineyard (2012)
• "Once Around Australia"
• Europe: Italia>Switzerland>Germany>France>England (2012?)
• "The Cross Egypt Challenge" (2013)

The only problem I see is getting my Buddy over to Europe, Egypt and Australia. How could I possibly tour Europe on any other bike but my own? I'd feel like a traitor!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Are there no laundromats? On week-long road trips I bring along a "dose" of laundry detergent and wash my clothes at the halfway point.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

TVB wrote:

Are there no laundromats? On week-long road trips I bring along a "dose" of laundry detergent and wash my clothes at the halfway point.
Oh, you could certainly do that, and I'd probably do something of the sort myself. On the other hand, the hour spent doing laundry could be an extra hour of sleep or 35-40 miles of additional progress. Depends on how much of a hurry you're in -- it's all a matter of trade-offs.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rusty J wrote:Oh, you could certainly do that, and I'd probably do something of the sort myself. On the other hand, the hour spent doing laundry could be an extra hour of sleep or 35-40 miles of additional progress. Depends on how much of a hurry you're in -- it's all a matter of trade-offs.
IMHO, if you don't have time on a trip to spend an hour doing laundry, you may be doing it wrong. :) And it doesn't have to be time wasted; on my laundry stops I used the time to update my blog, choose my route for the coming day, eat breakfast, and take a short walk around the neighborhood. Just another part of the journey.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

To FINALLY get a second scoot. So been eying the cream and blue Stella cos it's soooo smurffy! Or a P200e will do as well...
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

The elevator scooter video is hilarious :cry:
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Stormswift wrote:

So let me get this straight : sitting on top of 200+lbs 150 cc vibrator is not "thrill" enough? :twisted:
idk stormswift it could or could not be

and i must say in my research for this bucket list scenario i did a bit of googling and did indeed find such a scenario on video and in all its glory

let's just say the floorboard of a Yamaha Zuma looks to be good for more then placing ones feet upon :shock:
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

JHScoot wrote:
Stormswift wrote:

idk stormswift it could or could not be

and i must say in my research for this bucket list scenario i did a bit of googling and did indeed find such a scenario on video and in all its glory

let's just say the floorboard of a Yamaha Zuma looks to be good for more then placing ones feet upon :shock:
ROFLMAO
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Ummmm...how do I put this...I am a ATGATT kinda guy...BUT, made an exception once. Lonely 7 mile road in the sticks of PA. Her. long dress sitting backwards facing me on a friends borrowed 1100 Honda shadow. Me...watch the road...lets just say it took THREE trips up and down the road :wink: ...so yeah, its doable.

I've had a bike in a hotel and up an elevator and road one into a lake (on purpose)...but I've Always wanted to ride in a schools marble hallways.

Places?wow thatss a long list, but ALaska to South America would be awesome...I would want to cross the Darien gap somehow.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I want to finish riding every county along the Lake Michigan shore of Michigan. I've got all but 1 or 2 from the southern border to Traverse City. That leaves TC to Mackinac City, including the famous M119 Tunnel of Trees.

I want to ride the Tail of the Dragon, and may have an MC by the time that happens.

And I simply must ride through the French Quarter in NOLA. Trying to talk my non-riding DH into going down for the Big Easy Weekender one of these years.

Not very ambitious compared to most.
so tough, so pink
TVB

Post by TVB »

chloefpuff wrote:I want to finish riding every county along the Lake Michigan shore of Michigan. I've got all but 1 or 2 from the southern border to Traverse City. That leaves TC to Mackinac City, including the famous M119 Tunnel of Trees.
Are you counting the south coast of the UP? Because that's also "Lake Michigan shore". If not, maybe you should describe your goal as "every county along the west coast of Michigan". :) The ride from Traverse to Mackinac is nice, of course. I have to go through that area again for my ride to Tahquamenon Falls in a couple weeks... and I don't mind the repeat.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

TVB wrote:
chloefpuff wrote:I want to finish riding every county along the Lake Michigan shore of Michigan. I've got all but 1 or 2 from the southern border to Traverse City. That leaves TC to Mackinac City, including the famous M119 Tunnel of Trees.
Are you counting the south coast of the UP? Because that's also "Lake Michigan shore". If not, maybe you should describe your goal as "every county along the west coast of Michigan". :) The ride from Traverse to Mackinac is nice, of course. I have to go through that area again for my ride to Tahquamenon Falls in a couple weeks... and I don't mind the repeat.
Well, yeah, I guess that WAS a "peninsular-centric" mindset. I don't usually omit the UP like that but did this time. I truly do mean the Lake Michigan shoreline of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Only another Michigander would catch that.
so tough, so pink
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, what better to do in the cold, dreary winter months (although we we set a record high in the 60's today in Chicago), but plan and continue to dream a bit.

I was doing a little more research on a MC trip down route 66. Since my wife is definitely not interested in attempting this trip on 2 wheels and a friend of mine who professes interest, is one of those that will almost surely drop out ... this looks to be a solo trip. Although I'm investigating the feasibility, perhaps better termed practicality, of taking one of the pooches along.

Anyway, while researching, I noticed this slide show on MSN .... "10 great desert drives in the Western US "

I couldn't find a way to embed, so for those that might be interested you can find it here:
http://local.msn.com/travel/escape-and- ... =255974730

During my trek out west, I definitely have to get to:
Moapa Valley — Valley of Fire State Park Scenic Drive, Nevada
Red Rock Loop Drive, Utah & Zion National Park
The Anza-Borrego Desert, California

And perhaps:
The Apache Trail, Arizona
West Gates Pass Road through Tucson Mountain Park to Saguaro National Park, Arizona

I've done the Red Rock Loop and Zion by SUV, but it will be a different experience altogether on 2 wheels.

Rob
- Steven Wright
dingo

Post by dingo »

Reading all of these bucket list, I went on a 2 week scooter tour of vietnam

8)

It was a guided tour so it was not really roughing it- almost the same trip as the guys from TOP GEAR.

I will post more pictures of it. Vietnam is the land of scooters. It was the best trip I had in my life.

Syd

Post by Syd »

Rob wrote:The Apache Trail, Arizona
West Gates Pass Road through Tucson Mountain Park to Saguaro National Park, Arizona
Be prepared; most of (and the best part of) the trail is dirt. I've driven the Tucson ride a few times. It's worth it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
dingo

Post by dingo »

I loaded more photos of my scooter trip.

enjoy

I rode a orange vespa with twist shift. 2 stroke. it was powerful and fast.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

fantastic looking trips!

I might want bigger wheels for the ones I want to do. The buddy 150 will do in a pinch, and my kymco 250 will go a lot of places, but neither one really seems up for a cross-country trip that I would like to do, 2 up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

dingo wrote:Reading all of these bucket list, I went on a 2 week scooter tour of vietnam.
It was a guided tour so it was not really roughing it- almost the same trip as the guys from TOP GEAR.
I will post more pictures of it. Vietnam is the land of scooters. It was the best trip I had in my life.
Thanks for the post and the great pics. That is a trip I would love to do ... although I really don't need yet another bucket trip. :)

We have a friend that took a guided bicycle trip in Thailand and came back with wonderful stories and very scenic pictures. My wife would like to make that trip, along with a bicycle tour in Ireland, but I think I'd prefer the motorized 2 wheel tours.

And an edit just to mention that the final picture of the crab dinner almost sealed the deal for me. :D

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Syd wrote:
Rob wrote:The Apache Trail, Arizona
Be prepared; most of (and the best part of) the trail is dirt. I've driven the Tucson ride a few times. It's worth it.
Never ridden much in dirt on a scoot or street bike, so assuming you're talking about the Apache Trail, maybe I'll let that on go.

Thanks for the feedback on the Tucson ride. My 66 trip is still a year or two off, so I'm hoping to get a lot of advance advice from folks about the side rides and routes out west.

Rob
- Steven Wright