OK, so I feel like a Bloody Rooky!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

OK, so I feel like a Bloody Rooky!

Post by KABarash »

Looking for some riding insight.....

My new job has me starting at 0430 a day or two during the week. I have absolutely no issues with the 23 mile each way commute, I've found a route that keeps me off major highway type roads.
So far I've ridden to work several times, in fact every morning the temp is above 30*F. Two mornings this past week leaving the house at about 0330, Friday especially, it's absolutely beautiful, full moon, some sparkling stars, jet black sky and calm air.
My 'problem', as I get on the road, one I've ridden many, many times, as soon as I get up to speed I get the 'shakes'! NOT the scoot, but me! These 'interior shakes' obviously then transfer to the scoot and I'm all over the road, I NEED to pull over, almost turned back for the Jeep! And to make it worse, Friday my son was riding with me on his R6 "come on dad, what gives? You can do it!"
I try to concentrate on some square breathing, buck up and ride on....
WTF is happening to me?? I'm about to hang up my helmet and 'park' the scoot!!!!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Do you have any idea why it may be happening? I do know that 30 degrees is pretty darn cold for a scooter. If I didn't have really warm gear on I'd get the shakes too. Does it happen right away or does it take a bit for the shaking to start?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Plenty warm, the shakes start pretty soon after getting up to speed. I've been riding this scoot three years close to 20,000 miles, so it's not that I'm a total nOOb.
It's been a decade or three since I took an MSF class and I have absolutely no issues riding before this nor on the intervening days I don't have to be at work so early.
I just don't get it........ :?
Nullius in verba
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

It could be anxiety; if the new job is causing stress your mind might be sabotaging yourself and causing the convulsions to alert you to something. Even if you don't think you're stressed, your body may be trying to send you a message.

Either way, I'd say see a doctor.

I hope it clears up for you soon. Good luck.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:?:
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Maybe that's your body saying "stop dragging me out of bed at 3am..."

I hope it clears up! I would love to ride nice and early when no one is out!
tenshi

Post by tenshi »

Honestly, I think its the weather. It can be cold outside and I could be warm all over, but if the cold wind hits an exposed area for to long, I get the uncontrollable shivers too.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Uncle Groucho wrote:It could be anxiety;
I'd say see a doctor.

I hope it clears up for you soon. Good luck.
:cry:

JH,
What does a Wookey have to do with my 'wonkey-ness'?
Sorry, I don't 'get it'

skully,
I've ridden home from my 'lady friend's' house before at these kind of hours, that's even worse getting out of bed at crazy hours...... :oops:
Nullius in verba
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

You spelled Rookie wrong and I thought it rhymed with Wooky.

Unfortunately I apparently spelled Wookie wrong, as well.
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote:You spelled Rookie wrong and I thought it rhymed with Wooky.

Unfortunately I apparently spelled Wookie wrong, as well.
Ahhhh........

Thanks for helping me laugh at myself (considering the issue) as well......
I am at wits end with this and just about to :cry: :cry:
Nullius in verba
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Well don't hang up the helmet just yet, Kab. I think your shakes aren't due to nerves, as you really didn't mention it.

"Above 30F?" Unless above 45F I shake, as well. Maybe you're just colder these days? Perhaps try some warmer clothing?
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote:Well don't hang up the helmet just yet, Kab. I think your shakes aren't due to nerves, as you really didn't mention it.

"Above 30F?" Unless above 45F I shake, as well. Maybe you're just colder these days? Perhaps try some warmer clothing?
Sure I mention above 30* because that's when I'm riding. These two days I get my 'shakes' it's been in the 40's to near 50. I've ridden in colder without the 'problem' The difference is it's been day light and I've ridden in the dark many times before too....
'Nerves'? I think so, but why? And all the sudden as well........
Nullius in verba
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Hmm? Minor panic attacks, maybe? Scooter related or otherwise? And they are pretty common to one degree or another. If you know anything about them (I know a little) you know they are just accumulated anxiety and fear. Usually from repressing those things or not tending to them. It's natural not to, however.

So then the nerves / anxiety just start to seep out randomly and it looks like panic for no reason.

Lay down here on the couch, Kabash. Tell us all about yourself. You are safe here. We shall help you overcome. What is troubling you, my friend :)
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote:Hmm? Minor panic attacks, maybe? Scooter related or otherwise? And they are pretty common to one degree or another. If you know anything about them (I know a little) you know they are just accumulated anxiety and fear. Usually from repressing those things or not tending to them. It's natural not to, however.

So then the nerves / anxiety just start to seep out randomly and it looks like panic for no reason.

Lay down here on the couch, Kabash. Tell us all about yourself. You are safe here. We shall help you overcome. What is troubling you, my friend :)
Well, let's see........... WHERE do start?? :lol:

At least I don't have to work Monday, Tuesday I won't have to leave the house till 0530. Thursday 0830, Wednesday & Friday it'll be the 0330 again.
I'm gonna ride this afternoon and tomorrow to take care of my errands, I can just see what works out!

Quite frustrating.......
Maybe I do need a 'shrink' but my riding has been my therapy up until now.... Geeze :(
Nullius in verba
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think that it's just that your routine got changed. Sometimes it doesn't take much to throw us off balance!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

03:30 is pretty darn early. If that's not your normal sleeping pattern, then it could just be the change in hours that's at the root of it. Maybe it'll go away after you readjust. I hate to suggest it, but maybe taking the Jeep until you've reached that point would be a good idea?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

IANAP (I Am Not A Psychologist), but what you described is sort of a Perfect Storm - early hour (sleep cycle / diurnal rhythm is disrupted), dark out, and cold. I'm thinking maybe this, especially the _potential_ of cold getting in to the gear, is making you clench up a bit, leading to the shakes.

Just my humble guess.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Start by pinpointing exactly the circumstances when you shake. Is it just on that road? Is it only on that road at 430 in the am? So, for example, if you are not shaking on any other route, and only on that route on the way to work, do some more relaxed riding on other roads to get your riding overall confident again. Then you could try going back to the work route but in broad daylight, then try it in the wee small hours again - anyway that is an example, the idea being to pinpoint the exact factors at work, isolate them, and practice reintroducing them one at a time as you are comfortable. If it is really bad you could work with someone on desensitization via visualization. Obviously if the shaking is really impairing your ability to ride safely, seek med help right away, it really could be anxiety either about riding itself or, as someone else said, displaced anxiety about the job or whatever. Or your body's reaction to the cold! Good.luck, dont panic, you can address this.
amy

Post by amy »

Um...this may sound silly, but how much coffee are you drinking before hitting the road?

Anxiety + cold + coffee = shakes.
fishoutofwater

Post by fishoutofwater »

PeteH wrote:IANAP (I Am Not A Psychologist), but what you described is sort of a Perfect Storm - early hour (sleep cycle / diurnal rhythm is disrupted), dark out, and cold. I'm thinking maybe this, especially the _potential_ of cold getting in to the gear, is making you clench up a bit, leading to the shakes.

Just my humble guess.
Guess what, IAAP (I Am A Psychologist!) and I totally agree!
But I was also thinking, like Amy, that it might be due to caffeine if you're drinking coffee before you ride - especially if you're not eating something. Shaky = nervous system overload, and it could be all those things combined, including the new job. Not an official assessment, I would have to charge for that! :lol:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'm going to throw something else out there- stress and muscle tension.

I have muscle tension problems through my whole body. It's aggravated and worsen by lots of things- cold makes your body tense, so does stress, and so does scooting. Even if scooting usually relaxes you emotionally, it's usually stressful to a lot of your muscles... and overly tense muscles/stress could be causing your shakes.

But, so could ALL of these other things that have been suggested. I propose slowly coming up with tests to rule things out. For example, to rule out coffee/caffeine- if you need energy in the morning, buy vitamin B supplements, or one of the 5 hour energy things (vit-B is the main ingredient in those), and replace your coffee with it for a few days. See if you still get the shakes. To rule out the scoot, put yourself in the Jeep, don't turn on the heat and role the windows down (simulate the scoot environment, but you're not driving the scoot itself). To rule out the cold weather, drive the Jeep but ride with the windows up and the heat on so that you're comfortable. If your shakes disappear in one scenario but not another, you'll have pinpointed the cause. If they never disappear, I'd see a doc.

Think hard... have you seen any other symptoms? For example, have you begun to clench your jaw or grind your teeth (even at night in your sleep? You'll have to ask a spouse/partner or a dentist about that maybe)... that would be a sign of muscle tension and stress. Do you get headaches more often or anything like that? Have you had more trouble sleeping than usual? Or the opposite, have you been feeling more tired?

When you shake, do you feel panicked in any way? Does it cause anything else, like queasiness? Or do you just shake?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Have a coupla belts of whiskey..then where a 3/4 helmet and smoke a blunt on the way!...hahahahaha

...jut kidding...seriously :P

I'll bet as others have said its change of routine. Do you get these shakes riding at any other time?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Thats really cold weather, and I do get a "leg" shake every once in awhile. Better gear may help. I wear good longjohns when its that cold.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

From someone who worked nights for a year at Fed Ex, went to classes during the day, then worked afternoons at a local Pharmacy... I would guess it's the change in your sleep cycle, possibly coupled with caffeine (if you're drinking coffee or energy drinks before you leave).
When I started at FedEx I had a hard time driving there in the mornings at 0230. Didn't matter what temperature it was, how much sleep I had gotten, I would get the shakes. I have never been a big coffee drinker, but I did usually have some sort of caffeine before I headed to work. I switched to having an apple soon after. Anyway, I was travelling on a road that I traveled every day during daylight hours, so it wasn't that either. Once I was working those hours for about 2 weeks it went away.
Your problem is going to be that you don't work those times every day, so you're REALLY messing with your sleep cycle... your body is pretty much shouting at you "WTF MAN!?"

I hope you can figure it out and be comfortable on the scoot again!
Be safe!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

JHScoot wrote:Image
:?:
You do it for the wookie, the wookie?

FYI, only time I've ever had the shakes was being cold. I hope you can figure out why you are having this issue and overcome it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Well, not working today, Monday, and I didn't ride yesterday 'cause I spent too much time working in the yard.
There's some good thoughts posted up there, thanks folks!

Cold; I don't think so, ruled that out right away, didn't seem to be an issue as I wasn't feeling it little more than some chilly fingers.

Coffee & eating; Heck yeah, maybe 2-3 cups every day all the time, not just the very early mornings. Sometimes I eat a bowl of cereal, sometimes I don't.

Stress; Not thinking there's 'job-stress' but there is/are some stress issues in the rest of my life, you know the usual suspects; Ex-wife, mortgage company, etc & etc.....
Thought I was handling all that.
Honestly now that I start to add things up I suddenly have some jaw pain, maybe I'm suddenly grinding (thanks Luna) at night! This ALL started at about the same time.

So maybe I'll ride today, 0730 it's 52* forecast to see maybe 68* by afternoon but maybe a shower and down to the mid 40's this evening.
I wanna ride at least, gotta go to the County offices, a child support issue (stress) and spend the afternoon/evening with my Lady Friend (stress re leaving) and don't know really know if I want to be riding home again that late...... :?
Work tomorrow, Tuesday, I don't need to leave the house till 0530 if the weather is good I'll ride, it'll be light out....... :fp:
Nullius in verba
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

me thinks it's a combination of stuff...

up way too early, increased caffeine intake, riding in the dark, new job, new work schedule, really cold wind sheer

don't completely throw in the helmet...do a 'strategic withdrawl' and drive your cage for a while if you need to and reserve riding to an 'after work activity' until you get over the hump of whatever is going on

if it's any consolation, with the buy/trade/buy phase I was in, I had to get used to riding 6 different scooters/motorcycles since I started last year...each time I had to limit my riding until I built confidence with each vehicle and then REPEAT it until I felt good with riding in the dark since I work nights; now add in riding at night during a windy period along farm roads during the deer rut when they just run everywhere...sometimes I just anxious and riding becomes a chore

from time to time I just got sick of dealing with what I call '2 wheel logistics' and just would drive for a few days to get a break; for me '2 wheel logistics' includes dressing in layers, bacalava or no bacalava -- which means a helmet one size larger, packing my lunch into a backpack for the ride, pre-ride checks (gas, oil, tire pressure, etc), getting blown around during windy periods, etc

to break it down...HANG IN THERE and STOP OVERTHINKING IT!!!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

kmrcstintn wrote:me thinks it's a combination of stuff...

up way too early, increased caffeine intake, riding in the dark, new job, new work schedule, really cold wind sheer

to break it down...HANG IN THERE and STOP OVERTHINKING IT!!!
I've actually cut back on the coffee a bit. (not enough time to 'languish' over another cup in the morning)
Riding in the dark is not new to me, but riding to work in the dark is.
Six weeks or so into the new job I've ridden in the cold during day light hours and home a few times in the dark, no 'problem'
It most likely is the combination of the hours and schedule but however, the schedule will always 'bounce' some, some early days some not.....

OVER THINKING, yes........ I want to resolve this, 45 miles round trip every day, I want/need to take advantage of the fuel savings of owning the scooter!
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I know now if I have 2 cups of coffee in the AM and no bowl of cereal I'm jittery. Make sure you eat...At least a little something. If I eat the caffeine doesn't bother me. Try that just for giggles.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

As others have indicated maybe a combination of a lot of things you are not aware of. If you have chills and shakes or tremors all over or only parts of your body. Have you taken your temperature. I enjoy and find riding usually relaxing but last week with the temperatures, wind could feel some internal chilling and upper body shakes. If your normal sleep cycle is off or having problems sleeping Melatonin might help. If the shaking is new I would get a medical check up. Caffeine could give jitters as others mentioned, or maybe something else is going on. Could be fighting a virus and stress could lower your resistance? People usually take better care of their rides than themselves me included. Try to relax and think through things good luck. If you do try any supplements be careful riding, especially early hours driving to see how you feel some could give drowsiness.
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

I remember from my Motorcycle Safety Class to NEVER ride when not feeling 100% up to par either physically or mentally. I then proceeded to put 10,000 miles on my Stella in 2 years :lol:

However, I started to develop arthritis in my hands which did slow down my scootering some as working that clutch was too difficult some mornings. But, what I noticed after not scooting as much was that I had more "fear" or I like to say, more "awarness of other factors " -- such as riding the scoot when it was near freezing (black ice potential) or when it was VERY windy outside, or rain, or lots of things. I think I had become somewhat desensitized to these things when I was riding to and from work each day. I have since sold the Stella and have gotten a much easier to drive Buddy :D . But, I'm still using my new awarness much more. I've decided not to ride on days when there are threats of storms in the area. I didn't ride today as it was 39 degrees this morn when I left home. Sure, I could have bundled up warm enough, but my increased awarness took me to the decision that there will be warmer mornings to ride and why chance being cold most of the morn and making my fingers a little more stiff. . . A year ago, that would not have even crossed my mind. As I was in the cage with the heater blowing I affirmed "I made the right decision. I'm toasty warm".
Also, I totally agree with the new schedule stressors. The stress our bodies feel are not often computed by our conscious brains. Your body is telling you that something is askew . . . I would recommend listening to your body. Taking the Jeep to work those 2 mornings you have to leave SO early is still just 2 mornings of being a cager. You're still a rock star scooterist all of those other days. The savings in gas do add up, but the stress this early morning riding is putting your body through, doesn't seem to equal the savings. . . Be safe. I wouldn't try "riding through" this shakiness because negative experiences , or continued shaking, will only serve to reinforce the fear and anxiety that will develop if you continue to have symptoms. I would recommend setting a rule for yourself that you cannot ride if it is earlier than 5:30 am. (or whatever restrictions or rule that seems reasonable) Then, you're not being a whimp or scardey cat by not riding those early mornings - you're simply following the rule!
you're body is stressed somewhere and it is telling you that it doesn't like those early to work rides. Listen to your body and BE SAFE. . .
Feeding the fear by failure though can have lifestyle changing impacts.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

KABarash wrote:Well, not working today, Monday, and I didn't ride yesterday 'cause I spent too much time working in the yard.
There's some good thoughts posted up there, thanks folks!

Cold; I don't think so, ruled that out right away, didn't seem to be an issue as I wasn't feeling it little more than some chilly fingers.

Coffee & eating; Heck yeah, maybe 2-3 cups every day all the time, not just the very early mornings. Sometimes I eat a bowl of cereal, sometimes I don't.

Stress; Not thinking there's 'job-stress' but there is/are some stress issues in the rest of my life, you know the usual suspects; Ex-wife, mortgage company, etc & etc.....
Thought I was handling all that.
Honestly now that I start to add things up I suddenly have some jaw pain, maybe I'm suddenly grinding (thanks Luna) at night! This ALL started at about the same time.

So maybe I'll ride today, 0730 it's 52* forecast to see maybe 68* by afternoon but maybe a shower and down to the mid 40's this evening.
I wanna ride at least, gotta go to the County offices, a child support issue (stress) and spend the afternoon/evening with my Lady Friend (stress re leaving) and don't know really know if I want to be riding home again that late...... :?
Work tomorrow, Tuesday, I don't need to leave the house till 0530 if the weather is good I'll ride, it'll be light out....... :fp:
No prob :) Just a year or two ago, I went in for my yearly dentist appointment and my dentist was rather shocked at the sudden wear and tear on my molars in particular, he said I'd begun to grind or clench very hard in my sleep to do as much damage as I did in the year that he hadn't seen me. After he pointed it out to me, I realized that I had jaw pain sometimes and just never paid attention to it, and that I also clenched my jaw muscles when I was idle during the day without thinking about it, and so I hadn't ever noticed it. Stress can affect your body even when you feel fine emotionally, I guess.

If you find you need to try a mouthguard at night, I suggest these. You don't have to mess with boiling or shaping them, they are slim and adjustable, two in a pack I think and they come with a year warranty. On long rides, I ride with one in as well.
KABarash

Update...

Post by KABarash »

Well, I still don't get it.
I laid off riding for a couple days, weather reasons, then I rode only when I didn't have to be in so damned early. Mothers' day I got a flat and couldn't ride for two weeks until I had the chance to replace my tire. THEN I just decided this whole thing was fooolish and rode to work at 0330 one morning, NO issues!! (Four days this past week)
Holey Moley nothing better than a early morning ride! (Of course I already knew that)
Life is good.......
Nullius in verba
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

The human brain is a weird weird thing. I'm glad to hear the temporary short-circuit or whatever it was worked itself out. :-)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Update...

Post by BuddyRaton »

KABarash wrote:Well, I still don't get it.
I laid off riding for a couple days, weather reasons, then I rode only when I didn't have to be in so damned early. Mothers' day I got a flat and couldn't ride for two weeks until I had the chance to replace my tire. THEN I just decided this whole thing was fooolish and rode to work at 0330 one morning, NO issues!! (Four days this past week)
Holey Moley nothing better than a early morning ride! (Of course I already knew that)
Life is good.......

SWEET! Sounds like your brain and scooter are in gear!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
50CC Cape Cod

Re: Update...

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

[quote="KABarash"]Well, I still don't get it.

Chalk it up to spring fever. Do not complain just be glad it worked it's way through. Maybe there is a product like SeaFoam for human consumption.