NBR-"Big Boy" scoot...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wheelz

NBR-"Big Boy" scoot...

Post by Wheelz »

First let me say I love my Rat's they have been good scoots for the most part. My first one has somewhere between 25000 and 30000 miles on it, not quite sure cause my speedo/odo/gas guage/trip meter doesn't read correctly it started fading out so I'm not sure how many miles are on it exactly but quite a bit for 3 years. My other one is a modded 123 that is a great scoot and fun to ride, but it is prone to some small "modding" gremlins for time to time.
So I have decided it is time to trade one of the rat's in and get myself a "Big Boy" scooter.
I have been financially approved so now it comes down to choice, this is where I need your help.
I can either get an 08 Aprillia Scarabeo 500 for $4999.00, or a 2010 Vespa GTS 300 super for $5300, both are new and have warranties.
I know that they are very different scoots but I thought maybe you guys could help me make my decision, I have ridden both and they fit quite well.
So it comes down to metal and a 300 with smaller wheels, or a plastic 500 with bigger wheels?
what would you choose?
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
hg3

Post by hg3 »

My vote would be for the larger wheels.

It always comes back to - it depends - what type of riding and where etc. and if it ends of being your decision from our votes - Big Wheels!!!

Both nice scooters - you are going big time here.. :o

Harry
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Bigger wheels do better on rough roads, but smaller wheels are more maneuverable. Pick your poison.

Which has better resale? I suspect the Vespa.

If you're doing a lot of highway riding, the Aprilia is probably better.

I've heard Aprilia's parts availability sucks. Make sure that's not still the case.

There's probably more aftermarket goodies for the Vespa if that's important to you.

Good luck with your decision. You probably can't go wrong with either.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Careful with the 'beo. Here's a link to a recall on some units:

http://motorcycleviews.blogspot.com/200 ... o-500.html

Some earlier years also had problems with fuel overheating due to the routing of the lines or some such issue. Might want to look into this just to make sure.
ankdworak

Consider Piaggio BV350?

Post by ankdworak »

You may also want to consider checking out the new Piaggio BV350, which is due out this May. All the reviews I've read on this one are very glowing. The MSRP is right around $5300.
k1dude

Re: Consider Piaggio BV350?

Post by k1dude »

ankdworak wrote:You may also want to consider checking out the new Piaggio BV350, which is due out this May. All the reviews I've read on this one are very glowing. The MSRP is right around $5300.
Good catch! I forgot about the BV350. It sounds awesome. I'd personally wait to test drive it. The initial colors are safe, but suck IMHO.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Well, it could always be painted :P.

if the initial responses to the 350 are any indication, it's a very nice, worry free machine.

One of the gang on MV has one, and loves it to bits.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

That was a good catch on the BV350! Just make SURE you have a mechanic that knows how to work on that new 350 engine. Some people dont like the looks of the 350. :? To each their own, I think it looks freakin fantastic. Keep in mind I have ridden NONE of the scooters, I have just read alot. :)
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I think it sounds like you get more bang for the buck with the Scarabeo or the BV. Just make sure you can have them serviced- for example, the Aprilia dealer here SUCKS and I'd never give them any business, even for a warranty fix.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You haven't said what you intend to do with this scooter. If you intend mostly highway riding including some longer trips then the 'Beo 500, or perhaps the new BV 350, would be the right kind of machine in my opinion. If you will be doing more around town riding with some occasional highway rides then I think the GTS 300 would do the job nicely.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Modern Vespas—and this goes for the 300, too—are really for people who have to have a Vespa. Nothing wrong with that; I own one. But in balancing price and features, you'll get more out of a non-Vespa model. I am not a fan of how the GTS platform rides. This is largely because I love smaller, "flickable" scooters.

I'm a fan of the 'Beo 500, though, which is saying a lot because I don't like most maxiscooters. If you're going to go big might as well go big. I have not spent much time riding one, though. Lostmycage has (had?) one so maybe he can chip in.

I prefer the 'Beo 500 to the Piaggio BV (which should be discounted if you can find one) mostly because it doesn't look too much like a maxi but also doesn't look like it's trying too hard not to be one. I think the wheel size is different, too. It's a nice touring bike!

The BV350 could be "scooter of the year" provided Piaggio gets them in before fall, orders enough of them, and figures out how to sell it to people outside the existing scooter community. I have high hopes for the scooter itself, though.

The legendary Aprilia parts issues have now been sort of fixed, in that they're now the same as the legendary Piaggio/Vespa parts problems. Better than before they took over Aprilia, but still sometimes problematic. The GTS won't be any better.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That's a pretty tough call. I just sold my Scarabeo. The only reason I let it go was dealer support. Scoot Richmond is the dealer for Piaggio and Vespa but not Aprilia. They can't even order parts for them (they have to work through other dealers). That's a pretty retarded system that only hurts the dealer network for Piaggio. The local Aprilia dealer refused to work on my Scarabeo (warranty or maintenance) because I didn't buy it from them, so I won't go near the place. That's the same place Luna was referring to.

Having tried both of the models you're looking for I can give you a bit of a comparison.

The 300 is smoother all across the board. It feels torquier off the line which means fun.
The floorboard is more open which makes stepping through easier and lets you carry cargo there easier (not Buddy easy, but there's more room than the Scarabeo).
The 300 feels smaller, but not substantially. The size difference between the two is very minimal. From the backside, the 300 looks larger. It's got the refined look of the rear metal bodywork whereas the Scarabeo is a seat on top of an engine that's shoe-horned in there.
The 500 is sluggish off the line in it's stock form. A set of Dr Pulley sliders or a J Costa variator eliminates that completely. The 500 has more grunt (noticeably so) across the board. No surprise there, right?
The Scarabeo is shaky at idle (big fat single piston) but at speed it's pretty smooth. The Vespa 300 is smoother.
The Scarabeo has a HUGE amount of storage under the seat, but it's shallow. It might be easier to fit a full face helmet under the Vespa 300 because of the shape of the compartment.
The Scarabeo's seat is way more comfy than the Vespa. Not really noticable around town, but for longer trips, the Beo's seat is one of the most comfortable factory seats I've ever sat on. I miss that most about the Beo. This also goes for the passenger seat, by the way. My wife is much more comfortable on the Scarabeo than the MP3 because of the ergonomics and passenger pegs.
The adjustable windshield on the Scarabeo is nice for around town and it's a nice thought, but for taller riders you'll want to look for an aftermarket shield or take it off. The windshield is the reason that the Scarabeo looks so large. If you take it off, it's dimensions are very similar to the 300. The headset and by relation the handles are higher and much more comfortable for longer trips.
The Vespa has 12" tires. This makes them immediately more "flickable" but the Scarabeo can be just as flickable once you've had some practice.
The Scarabeo's tires last a much longer time than the Vespa's. This makes maintenance much cheaper. 16" on the front and 14" on the rear. The larger tires also soak up things like expansion joins, high speed potholes and road debris in a much more forgiving manor.
The Scarabeo has linked rear brakes. I'm not crazy about that in theory, but they do work well. You still have a separate front only. The Vespa are both separate to my knowledge and I've not heard of any complaints.
The side stand on the Scarabeo is a booby-trap. It's too stubby and not forward enough to really catch. I've heard of stories where bike had been left on the sidestand and lightly bumped and the stand gives out and lets the bike fall. The center stand is super-stable. It's a non-issue as long as you're aware.
You can attach a top case to the Scarabeo from the factory. There's an adapter that's worth getting, but you can mount one without it. I think the Vepsa needs a rear rack accessory purchased separately.
Parts are cheaper for the Scarabeo because it's not a Vespa.

I think those are my main remembrances.

I could sum it up by saying the following. If you're looking for a replacement for the Rat with higher speed capacity but still feel smallish, look at the Vespa. If you're keeping the Rat and want something that can tackle long rides comfortably, look at the Scarabeo.

Hope that helps.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Thanks for all of your responses guys.
Specially you LMC I knew you had had a Beo so i was looking for what you had to say for sure.
After going back to the shop and sitting and riding again, I will be a owner of a black Vespa GTS 300 super....
My main reason for choosing the Vespa, the seat!
While the BV and the Beo had more comfortable seats, they also have a form in them that really limits your ability to to slide back on the seat if you need to, or really change riding position at all, your just kinda stuck too far forward for me.
The Rat does spoil you with those foot cut outs at the front so you can kinda kick back on it.
I don't need a super slab capable scooter, wich the sales lady said she takes her 300 on i-75 all the time, but don't think i would do that all that much anyway.
So bye-bye kitted Rat and hello Vespa.
I'm keeping my original rat and all of her miles as my daily driver back and forth to work and the Vespa for getting out of town, way out of town if I need to.
Thanks for all your help again guys and gals.
pics after I get it delivered.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Congratulations! I'm thinking the 300 GTS will be my next scooter; I hope they will keep the "Daring Plum" for a few years so I can have that color.

Definitely post pix!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Congrats and enjoy! It's definitely a gorgeous scoot.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

nvm....I'm a photo noob but I got it and it's purty I swear....!

Maybe this will work dunno? :oops:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 697&type=1
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Very nice choice indeed. I had the Vespa GT200 and always found it VERY comfortable.

I'm also of the opinion that there's something just essentially "scooter" about the smaller, 12" wheels on the modern large frame Vespa. It's not as darty as the 10" wheels, but it still feels like a scooter to me. Big wheels are for motorcycles (which I also love), but that's just my opinion. It also doesn't hurt that the Vespa is, in my opinion anyway, MUCH better looking.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

thats what I want for my next scoot too! After tinkering around on one, they're pretty darn nice.