Sym Wolf 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mutt the Hoople

Sym Wolf 150

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I am loving my Buddy so much... So much in fact that I want to ride almost everywhere. So I thought it would be great to ride it out to the community college where I teach a class. It was not that fun... It was rather intimidating. Most of the road was 35mph... Sometimes less, but parts are 45 and considering that the drivers were doing more than 35 in the 35 zones, and my speedo said 40, so I am assuming I was doing around 35... And I was on the top end of howvfastvi could go. Plus I am still breaking it in, so I did not want to push it too much. Parts of the road are hilly and rough and potholed as well. I became very conscious of my small wheels.

I am signed up for the motor cycle safety course already. I don't want to trade up my Buddy 50cc for a 125 or 150 because I live in the city and there is a real benefit to being able to park on the sidewalk. But because I love riding so much I am now thinking of adding to my .... I am hooked. I am a bit embarrassed to say this but if I have to go somewhere where I can't walk I just want to go there on two wheels. The car is a necessity for the Interstate and bad weather but ... There is so much that I hate about it. About the whole car culture... Being at the mercy to the shenanigans of the oil companies. I have also noticed that 1) If I am having a really crappy day, even a ride around the park for 30-45 minutes puts me in a much better mood. 2) I have noticed a big and positive change in my disposition since I got my Buddy... I have been through a couple of really bad years and had lost touch with my normally positive self, and since I got my scooter I am so much happier. I know that sound simplistic and stupid but it has made a difference. 3) My work is better. If I go for a ride in the morning, I come in to work and I am firing on all cylinders ... I am really thinking and I am really on it. All this I have noticed in the two months that I have been riding. I never expected that.

So... I picked up my full face modular helmet yesterday and got really turned on by the Sym Wolf 150. It reminds me a whole lot of a little Honda my brother used to have and he loved that bike... He has always said that he'd love to have one again. I loved the agility, the size, and that it is only about 50 pounds more than my Buddy and manageable ... Plus I can lock it up next to my buddy under the fire escape of my apartment which is fenced in. It has plenty of oomph to go where my Buddy can't, yet small enough to not be overkill for my needs.

Anyone have experience with this bike? Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks. I have found so much great information reading this board and I love the positive and fun nature of the members. :D
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've not seen the SYM in person, but it looks like a nice urban bike.

With the specs, keep in mind price/economy/maint should be right around the same as a buddy 170, which has many interchangeables with your 150.

I have to kind of balance this myself. I have a 50cc Zuma, which is not being ridden as much. my 150 has 'enough' to get me and the wife around, but I find the brakes lacking if we end up riding 2-up fairly often, but I don't really require a motorcycle and she doesn't want to ride her own 2-wheeler. Therefore, I may someday buy a bigger scoot to add to the stable!

Also, see the thread on riding therapy! I think a lot of us get our daily zen from riding one form of 2-wheeler or another. For myself, I despise driving, being in traffic, etc. My car is POS that my get a bullet in it next month. we don't really NEED 2 vehicles, let alone the 2 scoots, my car, and a truck.

Keep enjoying the scoot, and let us know what you decide!
Mutt the Hoople

Thanks for your input Skully... My Buddy is a 50cc... I know the pic is a bit deceiving but it is. 2012 Lil' International Pamplona. But the 50cc is great for a lot of things. I live on The Delmar Loop... You can google it... Pretty cool place most of the time. So for a lot of things the 50cc is super. But without wanting to sound like a wimp, Big Bend Road all the way to Geyer was not fun. A lot of it was fine but maybe a third of it was hilly, rough, and worse, the drivers. I did it and then I had to ride back. The hills I could deal with, the potholes... Managed okay, but that added with almost everyone angrily padding me in some stretches was too much as they often sped around me only to cut me off or take my lane suddenly. I don't want to speed around people but I do want to keep up with traffic, or at least most of the traffic. Some people just have to pass you no matter what. But I do enjoy my two wheels, and the Sym almost seems like it was made to appeal to scooterists. Plus it s female friendly, I could easily put both feet down.

My friends all told me that a scooter was a gateway drug to a motor cycle. I think their Priuses are gateway drugs to boring. Still want a Mini when I replace my uber dreary Sebring.
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I couldnt' agree more!

I love my little 50cc, but it's just not practical around here, even if you are allowed to park on sidewalks. Found that if you have a fairly small scoot and keep the license plates away from the meter maids, regular officers are all in support of less cars downtown. I'm not advocating breaking the law, I'm just saying....

but the 150 buddy is a better bike, and gas mileage is better! I know the fear of taking a 35mph vehicle on 50mph roads....
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've seen the SYM Wolf and it's cool. Not a bad bike at all, although they are still kinda new so I don't really know about parts disturbution if it breaks down, but it's a sweet looking motor bike.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I expanded my love of two-wheeled things to include motorcycles in 2010 and there is no going back! The Wolf is a neat little bike and I hope that it's 150cc's starts a trend of bringing small displacement motorcycles back to the market.

That said, once you move up to a small or midsize motorcycle, the cc's don't make that much of a difference. That is, a 400cc or 500cc bike doesn't have SO much power that it'll get you into trouble. I was particularly worried about this when I started riding motorcycles. Instead, with most bikes, how many cc's there are really just effects the top speed. So for anything in that size range, 250cc and up is relatively the same experience and it requires no more skill to ride a 400 than it does to ride a 250 once you're up into a motorcycle. So you might as well have all the useful power you can get.

If I had it all to do over again, my first motorcycle would have been a 1979-on Honda 400 or 450 twin. The parallel twins are torquey, really easy to clutch get going in first gear, capable of freeway speed, but still light enough to be fun in town. Those bikes are also pretty easy to find cheap (<$2,000 in good running order).

Good luck!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

I've got a 2012 Sym Wolf Classic 150. It's a fantastic little motorcycle that is a real quality machine made in Taiwan. It's a modernized copy of a Honda CB125 that Sym made in the 70's anyway.

You can go here http://symforum.com/index.php?board=14.0, to find out everything you want to know :wink:
Mutt the Hoople

Thanks again. I was reading some reviews and it's getting a lot of love. I did go to the Sym board, posted the same question there last night and no one answered. Not impressed, much friendlier here.
96 Decibel Freaks
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:Thanks again. I was reading some reviews and it's getting a lot of love. I did go to the Sym board, posted the same question there last night and no one answered. Not impressed, much friendlier here.
I just checked the forum and saw something you posted in a thread someone else started, looks like several people did respond?

You could always start a new topic and that would probably insure a quicker/larger response...

They're pretty friendly over there, so on their behalf "welcome".
Mutt the Hoople

Thanks
:D
96 Decibel Freaks
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:Thanks again. I was reading some reviews and it's getting a lot of love. I did go to the Sym board, posted the same question there last night and no one answered. Not impressed, much friendlier here.
You're right, though. This forum really stands out in comparison to so many others. Not just for bikes but in comparison to any on-line forum I have participated in.

The Sym Wolf pretty much is the same as the Honda Cub that you referred to. I would love to ride one but would probably go a little bigger for me since I already have a 150cc scooter that's really fast.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've ridden one several times. Gotta say, I love it! Quick, handles well, snappy little city bike. Very customizable, too!

Just like the Hondas that preceded it, the Wolf has the essence of everything I like about small, low-displacement scooters and bikes.

My only reservations are about long-term quality and durability. SYM is good overall, though. I'm just interested to see how well the model does over time.

It's a great bike for scooterists, but honestly, it won't outperform a strong modern 150cc scooter. In most regards, it'll be fairly similar. Definitely faster than a Stella 4T, though.

I went riding with Mike from NoHo Scooters one day, he on the Wolf and me on the Stella. That day, he was the one getting stopped by strangers asking about his ride, not me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mutt the Hoople

I really like it. I wonder how many people here have ridden the small displacent bikes and how they would more them to a scooter. I still remember the old Honda ads that said "You always meet te nicest people on Hondas" and it sort of stuck. I guess I just like small, economical, zippy, and FUN! My dream car is a Mini. Plus it's just me... I don't have to haul anyone around. Plus, I have always given to my own detriment... Lent my brother my car and it turned into 11 months, family, etc., or just ask Liz, she'll let you use it, she won't care etc. The last time I bought a car, ( not the Sebring) my so called "family" were all saying hints like your going to get. Four door, right? Two doors are o much harder to get in and out of blah blah blah... You're not getting another stick are you? Amazing. They lived 600 miles away, never visited me unless they wanted something, got whatever kinds of vehicles they wanted to get, but I was supposed to get something they could drive if they came to see me. I love the idea of saying yeah sure... I have one thing you can use... Can you ride a motorcycle? Lol. None of them would approve of that either. At 50 this girl just wants to have fun after spending the first 50 taking care of everyone else.

And yeah, I like this forum.... The nicest people ride Genuine :D
96 Decibel Freaks
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

NathanielSalzman wrote:That said, once you move up to a small or midsize motorcycle, the cc's don't make that much of a difference. That is, a 400cc or 500cc bike doesn't have SO much power that it'll get you into trouble.

If I had it all to do over again, my first motorcycle would have been a 1979-on Honda 400 or 450 twin. The parallel twins are torquey, really easy to clutch get going in first gear, capable of freeway speed, but still light enough to be fun in town. Those bikes are also pretty easy to find cheap (<$2,000 in good running order).
I just saw a CB 500 Four that had me drooling. Honda brown & gold.
(I know, the Fours are a big PITA. But the 500 and 550 are awesome. And I've never worked on one so… :))
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Oh, I just remembered (in case you didn't already know)...
The Sym Wolf is a manual shifter but there's no clutch. I was talking with some folks at my local shop a while back about this bike and I remember that little tidbit.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Mutt the Hoople

Eric... I read his article/blog about that ride... So it WAS you... He mentioned your name!!! Because it is new and has not been out that long, no ratings on reliability, quality etc. But it has a two year warranty, and the Sym scooters are very nice. I did look at the 150cc scooters... But given where I want to ride I want my second two wheel vehicle to have bigger wheels. St. Louis does not take great care of its roads... Though I was riding down Lindell through the park and was happy to see ( and feel) that it was just resurfaced. Going over bad roads at 25mph-ish is one thing, but coming down a hill at 40mhp or more and having a really rough surface at the bottom :shock: I plan on keeping my Buddy... Just getting him a friend.
96 Decibel Freaks
Syd

Post by Syd »

The Wolf is not for the long of leg; it is not going to be as good a choice as a Buddy 125,150,170 in the 'fits me' column if you are taller or have longer inseams (34" here). Forget the SYMba, I can't sit on that thing at all.

And like any other MC, with the Wolf you will no longer have any of the storage that the Buddy gives you, so you will always need to carry a pack or something to hold, er, stuff.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Mutt the Hoople

Not getting rid of my Buddy, just adding to the family. I'm female and short ... Only about 5'3" or so. I tried one out for the feel of it at the shop and it was really really comfortable. Some of the bigger scooters were not. Plus it only weighs about 50lbs more than my scooter. When sitting on it I could put both feet on the ground in a way that was comfortable. Nothing about it felt awkward. It seems like a very female friendly design.
96 Decibel Freaks
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:Eric... I read his article/blog about that ride... So it WAS you... He mentioned your name!!!
Whose blog post was that? I got name dropped? w00t!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I spent many, MANY miles, hours and years on old, small-displacement Hondas from a couple SL100's through a CL175. I seldom even changed the oil! I souped them up, stripped them down and rode the wheels off of them. Don't think any of them ever broke. That basic design is just plain bulletproof. If I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Wolf. My 2 cents....
"Life without music would Bb"
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

There's always the kawasaki eliminator 125. Nice little cruiser with only 125ccs.
The kawasaki dealership here has one for 1800. I'm tempted to grab it for myself.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Tocsik wrote:Oh, I just remembered (in case you didn't already know)...
The Sym Wolf is a manual shifter but there's no clutch. I was talking with some folks at my local shop a while back about this bike and I remember that little tidbit.
The Symba is a 4-speed manual shifter with an auto clutch. The Wolf is a 5-speed manual clutch, one down and four up.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Tocsik wrote:Oh, I just remembered (in case you didn't already know)...
Sorry, but you're thinking of the SYMBA, not the Wolf... the SYMBA is the Honda Cub "clone" with the semi-auto trans.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:
NathanielSalzman wrote:That said, once you move up to a small or midsize motorcycle, the cc's don't make that much of a difference. That is, a 400cc or 500cc bike doesn't have SO much power that it'll get you into trouble.

I just saw a CB 500 Four that had me drooling. Honda brown & gold.
(I know, the Fours are a big PITA. But the 500 and 550 are awesome. And I've never worked on one so… :))
Actually, the trick is to get a carb sync vacuum manifold for Del'orto and Webber carbs. Many custom VW shops and BAP auto carry them. Originally used to sync sidedrafts for BMW 2002's and dual carb type 1's, they'll do the job in getting quad carbs on CB's synced. I used the Emgo Synchronizer on a buddy's 350-four and it nailed it within 15 minutes.

ImageImage
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Been there, sync'd that (1975 CB550F Super Sport). Man, I miss that bike. Fortunately, my neighbor back then had a Kaw Z1 and I used his gauges.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

gitsum79 wrote: The Symba is a 4-speed manual shifter with an auto clutch. The Wolf is a 5-speed manual clutch, one down and four up.
gitsum79 wrote:
The Symba is a 4-speed manual shifter with an auto clutch. The Wolf is a 5-speed manual clutch, one down and four up.
Ah, that's right! The Wolf is the more "motorcycle-y" bike of the two!
Thanks for keeping me in line, guys. :oops:
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Mutt, y'know, for the price of the Wolf you could pick up a mildly used Ninja 250R. They still get a very respectable 65-ish MPG and have enough top end that you'd never have to worry about keeping up with traffic. The 250 is also very girl-friendly, though you would have a manual gearbox to muddle through. It's been around so long that parts are plentiful and cheap, and it has a very active forum should you need any info: http://forums.ninja250.org/.

Just a thought.

~SM
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I recently rode with a friend who has a Suzuki TU-250. I've ridden the Wolf and felt it was a little under powered. You might check the TU-250's out. It looks very similar to the Wolf

Behold:
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Mutt the Hoople

Thanks for all the info. I really like the old-school type bikes. I love the Royal Enfield, but when I actually went to look at one it was more than I need and more than I have room for. Also like the Bonnevilles... My brother had one and it was great, but they weigh twice what I'm looking at. The Suzuki is a great bike and I may give that one a look, but it still weighs about 75lbs more than the Wolf. Weight and size is an issue. I have no garage, and I have to be able to get between parked cars and into a gate to get to my fenced in area.

How underpowered is the Wolf and for what? I really can't see me ever taking it on the interstate. The Poplar Street Bridge is and that section of I-70/I-64/I-55/40 is a nightmare in a car. I could get into Illinois via 367 to the Alton bridges.. But that means going through part of North St Louis ... Even worse ifI cross the McKinley to rout 3. I don't see myself going on any roads with marked speed limits higher than 55mph, and roads like Big Bend are 45mph on the high end but mostly 35mph. Just a smidge over the mark for my Buddy 50cc. Plus the quality of the road surfaces is dodgy... The main reason I don't want a 125 or 150 scooter ... Small wheels. I love my Buddy... It really fits me, and it is great for riding in the Central West End, the Loop, Soulard, Downtown etc. I still plan on using it a whole lot.

I guess I am just being... Greedy? I love my scooter so much, and before I had no love for my car, (I don't hate ALL cars, but a 2004 Sebring ... That I inherited from my Mother on top of that, who was a mean uhm... She should have been riding a broom instead.... Does not make a lovable ride lol), now I HATE my car since I found a viable alternative for most of my running around that does not slurp $50 plus a week leaving no extra gas, or money to buy it to ever see my friends. The scooter has been very liberating. In a lot of ways. Soooo only part of my desire is rational. A small cycle would mean I could ride to work, (practical), get 85 mph, (practical), not use up as many natural resources, (green), and not play the games of the oil companies, (ahhh stickin' it to the man :twisted: ) and also because it's fun .... Not rational at all :D
96 Decibel Freaks
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I like the way you're thinking M.t.H.

By under powered, I mean it felt pretty slow off the line. I don't like being sluggish when I have cars behind me. My buddy is a lot more brisk off the line than the Wolf. To be fair, I don't have as much experience with the Wolf and could probably be faster. I also weight 240lbs, but both bikes have the same weight to move and the Buddy seems to do it better.

The Suzuki also has plenty of accessories as well. My friend has added saddle bags, extra lighting and a couple of other things.

Also, I also don't think your "liberation" is complete. I think that once you get a more capable bike, you will want to go out a bit further and ride on roads with a bit faster speed limits. I-70? Probably not. But taking so little country highways for a picnic on the river might be something you would want to do.

So, you might want to think a bit further into the future vs just what your immediate needs/wants are.

Jus' sayin'

Howard
Syd

Post by Syd »

If your primary need is big wheels and some more power you might take a look at the Kymco Peoples. 150cc and up, all with big wheels. Or if you have a good SYM dealer in your area, definitely look at the SYM HD200. 171cc, just under 70mph (real mph, not indicated), good gas mileage, flat foot space, and pretty reasonably priced now, since SYM stopped reying to sell them for Honda money. The HD is a fantastic scoot. (Though some people here don't really appreciate its more modern design aesthetic. :lol: )
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Mutt, I personally think the Sym Wolf 150 would be PERFECT for St. Louis. Yeah, the roads really suck there. Especially at the end of winter. The bigger wheels would be much better than a Buddy's 10" wheels. And when you start going above 200cc, you really start to add weight to the scooter.

It would be a sweet scooter for Forest Park, the Central West End, the Loop, the Hill, and Soulard. Downtown? Eh. Unfortunately, you'll be pretty exposed for all the bad parts of St. Louis on any scooter or motorcycle. Being stopped at a traffic light in certain parts of town would make me pretty nervous.

Another drawback is I don't think you could keep up with traffic on the Great River Road in Illinois. I can't remember the speed limit, but I think it's faster than the Sym can go. It's a really nice road for motorcycles.
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

We have both the Suzuki TU250X and the Sym Wolf Classic 150.

The Suzuki is a little more powerful, but mostly above 50 mph. In town the Wolf will easily keep up with the TU250X. The Suzuki is more comfortable, handles a passenger better and the larger engine can maintain a higher cruising speed. The Wolf handles better and is more agile, it feels much smaller and is easier to change directions on. Both get exceptional gas mileage, 70 mpg for the TU250X and 85 mpg for the Wolf.

The Suzuki is more practical, the Wolf is more fun. But if you want a motorcycle that is light on it's feet like a scooter, the Wolf is a better choice. The Sym Symba bridges the gap between motorcycle and scooter, but it has less engine performance then a Buddy 125 or 150. The Wolf makes 14+ horsepower and combined with it's low weight probably does at least as well as the Buddy 170i.

The biggest advantage of the Wolf over a smaller wheeled scooter is the 17"+ wheels. It is so much smoother over rough surfaces and bumps, the difference is dramatic. They do make some nice 16" wheel scooters. My HD200 is actually rides smoother than the Wolf, but is larger. Close to the size and weight of the TU250X, but still more maneuverable. Right now the HD200 is my favorite and the two wheel vehicle I ride the most. My 17 year old son favors the TU250X.

I hope this info helps you to make the right choice. It's really hard to know ahead of time which scooter/motorcycle is best for you, I guess that's why I have been through quite a few lately :wink:
Last edited by gitsum79 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

One other consideration: I don't know about your area, but parts for all SYM's are hard to come by here. i generally have to get them from Canada.
If you come down to the Wolf and the TU-250, the Suzuki has a better warantee(sp?).
Gitsum made some excellent points as well.

Howard
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

It's cool, the little Wolf :)

I would crush it, however.

EDIT: Posting this from Howardr's youtube page. It's great, and I spotted a Kymco Grand Vista....trike!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZtsA6fRJVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Riding is riding
Mutt the Hoople

K1Dude... Are you from St. Louis? Yeah, there are scary parts of town... Some really close to me. But I love my Buddy so much. I really miss it when I can't ride. But as far as bigger bikes... Bigger than scooters than my scooter that is, I really am limited. I have no plans to move from the city... I'd like a slightly bigger apartment, but even if I move I am still looking at the Central West End, maybe The Hill, maybe the Soulard area, but parking is a real issue. Maybe down the road I would like something bigger but I don't see that coming up any time in the next two or three years. I am taking the safety course in a couple of weeks, so after that I can go out and test ride a few bikes that I am interested in. But I love the agility of the Wolf, and I remember how much my brother loved his little Honda, which had similar specs. He rode it up 111, 143, 367, 157, on a regular basis, and he rode it on the great River Road regularly.

From the practicality standpoint... I know it does not have the built-in storage like a scooter... Just ordered the back rack and crash bars for my scooter so I can attach panniers/saddle bags, duffle, etc. I am assuming I can do the same weather I go for the Wolf or the Suzuki.... Right? I have not ruled out a scooter with bigger wheels but they tend to be heavier and less agile. I love the agility of he Buddy. And if you saw what I have to get around when I take my scooter out... If anyone parks in front of the gate it makes for a real struggle, and since I live by myself, I have to be able to manage it myself. If something should happen if it falls, I need something I can pick up.

Until I can really compare I guess I won't know. I just know hat I felt very at home and comfortable with the Wolf... Just like I knew when I sat in my Buddy that I oud my scooter.
96 Decibel Freaks
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Twin Cities Riders.com did a review and like it.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm not from St. Louis, but lived there for awhile. My wife is from there. That's where I met her before hauling her out to California.

I personally prefer scooters to small displacement motorcycles. They just handle better and are more fun. As others have mentioned, there are some good scooters with larger wheels that you should consider before buying anything. Also consider some of the other small displacement motorcycles that others are mentioning here. At least you'll be a better informed buyer even if you still decide on the Wolf.

But if the one that just feels right is the Wolf after all is said and done, go for it!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mutt the Hoople wrote: But I love the agility of the Wolf, and I remember how much my brother loved his little Honda, which had similar specs. He rode it up 111, 143, 367, 157, on a regular basis, and he rode it on the great River Road regularly.
Well, I'm sure not going to try to talk you out of it. A long, long time ago (on a world far, far away), I owned a great little Honda CB160. It was the little brother of the Honda Superhawk. I once rode that puppy from Boston, MA to Portland, OR complete with camping gear. I was too young to realize that was probably too big a bite. The trip went well and the bike performed fine the whole way. Life is all about opportunities - and a little audacity :wink: .
Mutt the Hoople

Kymco People 150? It has the larger wheels... They are sold up the street from me at the Vespa dealership... Fair to compare a small cycle with a soother that has larger wheels? Pros and cons???
96 Decibel Freaks
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

This thread has started getting me to think about a small motorcycle again and still going forward with a Stella project (it *is* going to happen this fall regardless. I got shop space now!). Originally planned to make due with the Rattler, but the Wolf appeals to me in a cafe bike way. Then again, I keep telling myself for only a little more a TU250x or a Honda CBR250r would be a safer daily driver choice. I'm still taking an off season job (probably at Guitar Center...again) to pay for a new bike during the season I can trust, and the Wolf is tempting me...

The Kymco People is a good scooter. I've known people who have put miles on them with no issue. To me the style just isn't catchy and it's still too scooter-like to have the larger wheel offset really change the ride dynamic for me. I would almost think the Symba/Honda Cub platform would be more bang for your buck when it comes to large wheeled scoots which again is tempting in it's OWN unique way. But I think my 80 mile a day commute wouldn't be fitting since the Rattler 110 is struggling to keep up with my demands.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

The Symba appeals to me as a "beginner shifty" as it has no clutch. I read it is a clunky thing to shift, though, and saw a video review that says as much (posted below)

Have read it is NOT for tall people, too? But idk why that would be? I suppose where the foot pegs are located, and the fact the feet have to be there to shift.

C'mon, neo. You know you can't resist The Wolf. Look at THIS beauty

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xr61xJNkP7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a SYMba review for those who haven't seen this one. She gives it a good once over twice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8FukueQCEuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by JHScoot on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
Mutt the Hoople

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. I won't be buying anything until I have taken and passed the safety course and have my motorcycle license or permit, so that is a few weeks off. After I narrow down the possibilities I will go out and test ride the ones I think I will like. I did a fair amount of research before I got my Buddy and I am very happy with that decision. I really love riding all over the city on it.

My only surprise is that I love it even more than I thought I would, and before I nevr really considered the possibility on riding on a road that has a speed limit that is over 35mph. I did not see that coming. Most of my life all I ever heard was how dangerous two wheels is and basically how you were supposed to be a "bad" person if you rode anything with two wheels and a motor. I got threatened with being disowned the first time I broached the subject about getting a Vespa to buzz around town on, and wow... The reaction from my family was really over-the-top. I always towed the line and STILL got... But I digress. Life into short to live it for others.

Anyway, now that I know I want to be able to ride on faster roads... Still not interested Interstates... I either want a small bike or a scooter with large wheels. I saw the SYMBA when I saw the Wolf. It intrigued me. But I think I like the Kymco People 150 better. I looked at some of the Honda scooters... But wow, the price. I know they make a great product, but that would be painful to my budget. The Yamaha V twin... Another small bike... Nice. But more cost again...l still s great product. Plus again, even a lot of small bikes, as well as some of the bigger scooters ... Weight and manageability. I think that is whatnreallynstruck me about the Wolf. It is just not a stretch from a scooter and the weight is not bad. Some of the larger scooters... If someone parks just a little off where I live, then I won't be able to get it into the gate and I do not want to park it overnight in the lot.

As far as service etc. Sym has a dealership in Edwardsville, so it is about 30 miles from me. A little far but it's a good place. Kymco is also at the Vespa dealership up the street. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki are further out but close enough. I just know that whatever I get, I have to be able to mange it... No none to help me out.
96 Decibel Freaks
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

The Kymco People 150 is a great scooter. Lighter than the Sym HD200, about the same weight as a Wolf Classic 150. More performance than a Buddy 50, true top speed is 58-60 mph. In comparison the Wolf hits 65-70 and gets there quicker, the HD200 approaches 75 mph.

If you need a scooter that has good acceleration to 45 mph and can cruise comfortably at 50, the People 150 would be a good choice. I had an Elite 110 which has close to the same performance as the People 150, but smaller wheels. The smaller wheels was one reason I moved on to something else, the other reason was cruising speed. After owning the Elite 110 for a few months, I found myself wanting to go on longer trips. Traveling at 50-55 mph on level ground and even less on hills, definitely limited my traveling options...
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, I went to AZ Scooters in North Phoenix to check out the SYM offerings, but when I got there they didn't have any! Zero Kymcos at all, no Wolfs, and only one HD200. The rest were all $899 China junk scooters. Talked to what I assumed was the owner, and he said he'd call me when they get some Wolf's in next month. He also mentioned that he has made no attempt to order the Symbas because he simply thinks they won't sell, and will only order them if he has someone willing to buy.

Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:Well, I went to AZ Scooters in North Phoenix to check out the SYM offerings, but when I got there they didn't have any! Zero Kymcos at all, no Wolfs, and only one HD200. The rest were all $899 China junk scooters. Talked to what I assumed was the owner, and he said he'd call me when they get some Wolf's in next month. He also mentioned that he has made no attempt to order the Symbas because he simply thinks they won't sell, and will only order them if he has someone willing to buy.
And you thought 'the other shop' was bad :wink: You can always try the dealer out in Avondale, that sells ATVs, scoots, and farm equipment, I think. (I did see a Wolf at SI today, btw.)

JHScoot, the SYMba and the Wolf too, for that matter, can be too small for tall people in the same way that the back seat of a Miata is small for tall people. The ergonomics are just not made for the long of leg. Pretty simple really.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:Well, I went to AZ Scooters in North Phoenix to check out the SYM offerings, but when I got there they didn't have any! Zero Kymcos at all, no Wolfs, and only one HD200. The rest were all $899 China junk scooters. Talked to what I assumed was the owner, and he said he'd call me when they get some Wolf's in next month. He also mentioned that he has made no attempt to order the Symbas because he simply thinks they won't sell, and will only order them if he has someone willing to buy.
And you thought 'the other shop' was bad :wink: You can always try the dealer out in Avondale, that sells ATVs, scoots, and farm equipment, I think. (I did see a Wolf at SI today, btw.)

JHScoot, the SYMba and the Wolf too, for that matter, can be too small for tall people in the same way that the back seat of a Miata is small for tall people. The ergonomics are just not made for the long of leg. Pretty simple really.
MotoCity in Avondale is my next stop. I've only been there once, but they were a very nice group and get tons of rave reviews locally. I was just up in that part of town working on a High School's lighting system and with another show this afternoon and evening, I didn't have time to hit both places.

For the daily bike it's (again) down to the Stella 4T, possibly the Wolf 150 and ... the Honda CBR250r "Baby Fireblade". I know, it's a sportbike. But, if I get a standard bike I'll just buy a worn out Stella/P series frame and rebuild it. I kick myself every day for selling the P200e before I found out where we would be moving to. I never thought I'd land a place with a yard so cheap. It's been a year of bad luck to be sure, but if I can sell the Ratter 110 and land some more summer gigs, I'll be back on track to a bike I really can be passionate about

Mutt the Hoople

I was out comparing scooter/small cycle possibilities after my class today. So far I am still leaning toward the Wolf 150 and the Kymco People 150 as they feel the best and I had no trouble maneuvering them. I went to check out the People again and the dealer was out of them.... Grrrr. Other than that I feel like Goldilocks... This scooter is way to big, this one is too small. Yikes! Not nearly as easy as it was picking out my Buddy.
96 Decibel Freaks
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

$2000 in Costa Mesa,, Ca

great deal

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2950410338.html
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:$2000 in Costa Mesa,, Ca

great deal

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2950410338.html
Sigh. Wish I had the scratch. Wonder if he'll take a barely running Euro spec PX125 EFL in trade?

NoHo Scooters painted two of their bikes. One's a metallic silver-flake orange. The other, matte black. The black is cool, but it's begging for some custom graphics.