"popping" on downhill / relaxed throttle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

"popping" on downhill / relaxed throttle

Post by Edwub »

Anytime I let go of the gas and start to coast down a hill, or coast to a stop towards a traffic light, my Blur pops. It sounds like I've been feeding it minature beans, cause there's a little toot from the backside. It really only happens when I'm coasting. I can force it, if I give a slight little twist during mid-coast.

Popping indicates that it's running "rich" right? It's a little too much gas, that basically ignites later?

Is there something I should do, or be concerned about?

It's a Blur, so it's fuel injector. I've been running 89 gas for a while (see Blur forum discussions), but I experienced the same pops when I was in 87. I'm about 5 miles from the beach, and the weather is between 50 to 80 degrees about 90% of the year.

I wonder whether this effects my performance and mpg. It doesn't *always* happen, but it does. I wish I had documented when I get more/less of it. I'm due for oil & service next month - had my first service done on time.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Yeah, first indications would be its running rich. Seems like the FI would take care of that, right?
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
easy

Post by easy »

sounds like exhaust leak
what did you trade the day for?
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

There are a couple of different kinds of exhaust pops. There's what's often called back-burble, which is when there's a bit of extra unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. Then there's sharper popping that actually comes from the engine actually being too lean. If you rev the engine, then let off the throttle real quick, and it takes a noticeably long time for the RPMs to drop, then you've likely got a lean mixture. Either scenario is unlikely with EFI, but only if the system is working properly. The best way to tell is to pull the spark plug and see if it is either white (lean) or sooty (rich).

Your O2 sensor could be malfunctioning or your EFI computer module might be faulty or need to be reset. You might also have partially clogged injector. An easy way to reset the module would be to disconnect your battery for 30 minutes, then start the scooter back up. The computer will have to take fresh O2 readings and that just might do the trick.

It might also be the case that a richer off-throttle mixture is programmed into the EFI map simply because some people like the sound of the back burble. They do that on the MINI Cooper S, for example.

Either way, on an EFI engine, it's important to keep track of your gas mileage, as big swings either better or worse can be early symptoms of fuel system problems.

Good luck!
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

easy wrote:sounds like exhaust leak
This would be my first suspicion as well.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Hrm.

My gas mileage is super consistent (check the fuelly link in my sig).

I was at my bro-in-laws today, and I took my Blur over to use his battery tender. No need, just wanted to try it out. It was fully charged in probably 5 minutes. But I left it on for a bit, so the battery was disconnected for over 30 minutes. (I turned it back on when I reattached everything just to check, maybe I shouldn't have done that in a garage!)

I was youtubing videos to listen to 'rich' and 'lean' conditions. I think overall my scooter is good. In the garage, on center stand, the rev dropped pretty quickly after releasing throttle.

Now that I think more on it, these pops tend to often when I'm between 10 to 20mph... Couple that with me noticing it more during coasting conditions, and I'm guessing it has something to do with gear switching and the EFI struggling a little when it's borderline? 'Crawl and go' scenarios, gas occasionally a little rich?

I'll go for a ride tomorrow and see if it sounds better, and try again to force the pops. Again, it's not that frequent, but it happens. It doesn't bother me aesthetically, but I'd hate it if I'm letting a potentially bad symptom go without a response.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

NathanielSalzman wrote:Your O2 sensor could be malfunctioning or your EFI computer module might be faulty or need to be reset. You might also have partially clogged injector. An easy way to reset the module would be to disconnect your battery for 30 minutes, then start the scooter back up. The computer will have to take fresh O2 readings and that just might do the trick.
On Sunday, I left the Blur hooked up to his battery tender for a few hours while I ran some errands. Came back, wheeled it out of the garage, and turned it on outside. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Granted, I've only ridden it to work and back on Monday and now to work this morning, but I think your advice may have worked. I really, really looked for it this morning. It "popped" a lot less than I'm used to. In fact, I actually noticed something was weird because I didn't hear it.

It may be wishful thinking, but I think your advice really did help!! Thanks!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Dooglas wrote:
easy wrote:sounds like exhaust leak
This would be my first suspicion as well.
x3.

Engine temp and ambient temp can play a part in leaks. Did you check the exhaust?
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I'll check this as well, if I can figure out the best way to do it. If there is an actual exhaust leak, would the 'reset' I did actually accomplish anything or be able to compensate for it? Assuming a leak formed that didn't use to be there....(asking because, as I posted above, I want to say it got better but it may have been wishful thinking...)

Re checking:

1) Rub soapy water over the exhaust pipe, turn on, and wait to see if any bubbles form? Rev throttle a little and look for bubbles?

2) I read something about a smoke machine helping - I have plenty of access to dry ice and water. Figured I could whip up a quick fog and waft it around when I'm at work tomorrow.

The thought is I'm basically looking for an air leak, so should see bubbles or see fog being blown away from anyplace other than the business end? Which would be bad. Do I need to figure out a way to remove the cover to check the whole thing, or can I leave it on and just check the exposed surfaces first?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I don't know about thr Blur, but the Buddy has the blower fan that vents out the bottom. This would probably dissipate any smoke/mist, making it difficult to use smoke to find the leak. I think you should use your fingertips near the exhaust header, any curves in the pipe, and all along its length feeling for puffs that shoudn't be there.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Nah, just check to see if anything is loose.

#13 should be torqued to 1.0 - 1.2 kg-m
#10 should be tight
If #9 or #10 are damaged, they may cause a leak.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bad rollers can also cause this kind of sound.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KevinD

Post by KevinD »

I had the same issue with my new Prima pipe. Took it back to the dealer they put in a new gasket, some type of sealer and then used loctite on the bolts to keep them from coming loose again. She was really loud and the popping was almost everytime I got off the throttle. All better now.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

/bump

I forgot about this, but today it was pretty noticeable. You know when you're making popcorn in the microwave...and towards the end you get that "pop pop .... pop pop pop pop...............pop"

It was doing that this morning, and yesterday morning as well. Sounded like the remants of popcorn in the microwave: it was clearly audible, but not overtly loud (not a BANG). Wasn't overly sharp either. But it wasn't just one or two, today there was like 15 to 20 pops the first half mile.

Was fine yesterday evening leaving work - so it's morning related? Chillier air? I think it was fine the last few weeks. It pops occasionally in the back, but all of a sudden it got weirder again. Exhaust seems fine, checked several times for leaks.

I usually have the scooter running for about two minutes each morning before I ride it - enough time to fold the cover and put it in a bag, then put on my jacket, helmet, and gloves. (I don't just twist and go without any warm up).