fixing a flat tire

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurblaine

fixing a flat tire

Post by blurblaine »

Okay, I know there will be lots of opinions about this ... and you may not agree with me ... but I wanted to post this for those interested in the 'fix' process over the 'replacement'.

My '06 Blur got a new rear tire less than 100 Km ago, but I found a small hunk of metal imbedded in it that caused a slow leak. Rather than buy another tire, I was hoping to 'plug' the hole. Local tire shop stated, 'no can do ...is now illegal to plug a tire in the US'. Assuming this is true, I did a quick search on ebay and purchased a 'plug' kit.

Here is what I bought ($24 USD) and the DIY process.

Here is the kit (includes 'pointed probe', 'nozzle' = that is already screwed onto pointed probe in this picture, 'handle' device, allen wrench, reamer, plugs, razor knife and small 'under seat' travel case

Step 1: find the hole and use Reaming Tool to clean it up by removing rough edges

This kit comes with 20 rubber plugs. Picture shows size of plug compared to my hand. They are fairly soft and are covered by a solution to help during insertion. If plug becomes dry from handling, try a drop of dish soap or spit (if you are on the road) as it will need to be moist.

Step 2: Place the plug into the 'handle' device, with the head of the plug sticking up, and use small end of 'nozzle' to push plug completely into handle device

View of plug pushed into 'handle' device

Step 3: Screw 'nozzle' into pointed 'probe'

Step 4: push probe into hole in tire and keep pushing until small end of 'nozzle' is inserted into the hole in tire ... THEN ... unscrew 'nozzle', leaving it in the tire and pull out the pointed probe

Step 5: screw the 'handle' device into the 'nozzle' that is in the tire (NOTE: small diameter sleeve on the nozzle would be completely inserted into the hole in the tire ... not pulled out of the hole as shown in this picture)

Step 6: insert 'allen wrench' into back side of 'handle' device. Firmly hold handle, pressing in toward tire while screwing allen wrench clockwise. this forces plug thru nozzle and into tire. you'll feel more pressure as head of plug goes thru nozzle and then a release of pressure once head of plug expands on inside of tire. THEN, slowly pull 'handle' device (with nozzle still attached) out of hole in tire. Plug will remain.

View of plug sticking out of tire

Step 7: Use pliers (or your hand) to pull on back end of plug

Step 8: Fill tire with air

Step 9: Trim excess plug off at or slightly below outer edge of tire

View of plug ... DONE! Let's go riding!

~~~~~~

I'll let you know how well it holds air (which should be good) and if I later encounter any issues with this 'fix'.
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nice pictorial, thanks for sharing!

if it's illegal, then it's strange they sell so many plug kits...

I think that was their way of saying "we don't wanna mess with it..."
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

"It's illegal" is their way of saying "just buy a new tire from us". If they're going to be like that, who knows what else they'll do to try to sucker $$$ out of your wallet. Plugging a tire is super simple, i've even brought car tires in to my local firestone (already removed from the car) and being as they didn't have to put it on a lift, they didn't charge me. ALSO, thanks for the pics, i've never used this type of plug before. Pretty neato, I wonder if they hold up better than the older type.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

It's often safety laws/regulation.

Same thing applies to cars. There's certain parts they're not allowed to plug, even at a tire shop. (If I recall, ours had a puncture near the sidewall). The guy told us that technically we could take it home and do it ourselves, but that they wouldn't be allowed to do it and could only officially recommend purchasing a new one.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I've got one of those but thankfully haven't had to use it yet.. IIRC, it doesn't recommend that they be used for permanent repairs.

I have just read about, but not seen, that there is a patch-plug combination that is good for permanent repairs but of course the tire will nave to be de-mounted and reinstalled.

I don't think there is any permanent repair recommended for punctured sidewalls
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

This is a great pictorial on a tire plug. I'm moving it to the main section to get more eyes on it. Well done.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Not illegal but............insurance liability has reared its ugly head.

Most carriers have told their dealers they will not accept liability claims that are a result of tire repairs.

Rob
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That is much nicer than my only somewhat cheaper plug kit. :)

Thanks for the write up! It'll make it's way to our FAQ!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I've used stop n go plugs on both my 4 and 2 wheel vehicles, with positive results. I also carry a Slime super small compressor. And I carry a AAA card with MC coverage.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I should add that this is only for TUBELESS tires. Do not plug a tubed tire like this!

Most Buddy tires are tubeless, with possible exception of the the whitewalls that came on the Italia 125s in '07.

Stella tires are tubed, but you can mount a tubeless one as well. If you have tubeless on a Stella, it's still got the tube in there so I'm not sure this plug would work. That's what the spare's for! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

1 week later = no loss of air at all.

true, this is for tubeless.

true, not designed for sidewalls (though it might actually work in a pinch).

I imagine it could become dislodged if air pressure was low, as there is no glue = the air pressure keeps it 'in place'.

I'll update in future again with any updates of interest...
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Have you guys seen Tyre Guardian? It seems like a pretty cool idea for a two wheeled vehicle as if we get a flat on the road we are pretty much screwed. I suppose we could carry a can of fix-a-flat. Tyre Guardian is kind of similar in application but is put in BEFORE you get a flat so it seals any punctures that occur and keeps you rolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYfvaTNsmg

I actually used a standard glue type plug in my scooter before and it did great for thousands of miles until it finally fell out.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I bought the same kit on ebay a few weeks ago, good to see it works as well as thier vid says. :)