Very unhappy with local shop :(

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

Very unhappy with local shop :(

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I had posted back in march that my sh150 was leaking oil out of a weep hole. I took the scooter to the dealer I purchased it from Nicholson's in ann arbor on Jackson rd. for service. Man have they jerked me around big time! First they said they would order the part on March 31st (it needed a water pump seal replaced) and when I called back two weeks later they told me they had just ordered it and it would take another 3-5 days to come in but then they'd get it done within a couple of days. Well every Friday for the last two weeks I've called and they've told me the scooter would be fixed that day or Saturday at the latest. It's been a month now and still my scooter has not been fixed :( I really wish I had not bought the extended warranty because now I'm locked into having a shop work on my bike and I can't find a Honda dealer within 60 miles of my home with a goo reputation for service. I'm going to order the service manual for this scooter but if I can't manage to do all work of this scooter myself (a bit worried about working on the fuel injection) then once it's paid off I'm gonna sell it and buy an electric bicycle conversion kit. The only reason I bought this scooter was because Honda has a reputation for reliability and I knew the honda dealer wasn't going anywhere (they've been in the same location for over 20 years). Since I can't rely on the dealer to fix my scooter in any sense of a timely fashion the scooter is no longer a reliable form of transportation, I'm so so pissed off right now and wish I'd never bought the darn thing is the first place :( I should have bought one of the carborated Buddys 125s. At least I feel comfortable working on them myself and I would have saved myself a bunch of money.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

That sucks. Seems it should be a small issue, too. And the more the bike is down the more useless the warranty becomes. Not like they credit you for downtime. "Extended Warranty" days just passing by....

What is really unfortunate is I am pretty sure the scoot is by and large reliable. But what good does that do you if a minor repair takes 5 weeks and more! And if something else "minor" comes up? Yeah, cause for concern.

I don't know what your needs are, but maybe a "second" scoot more capable then a 50cc is in order? As a back up for times like this?
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

that sucks.

I am lucky that my local shop has so far been wonderful. I guess the only frustrating part is waiting @ 10 days for parts, but that's not their fault I would think.

Is there a head office you could complain to? or an overall honda rep?
jasondavis48108

Skully, I did find a phone number on the Honda Powersports website that I am going to call. I don't think calling anyone at Nichlsons would do any good. On the up side I may have found a decent shop in Bloomfield Hills which is only about 45min to 1hr drive away from me. I'll have to trailer the scoot but it's worth it if they conduct themselves in a professional manner.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

If that new shop is Motor city powersports on Telegraph, I've had good luck getting tires mounted and buying parts from there. I have to visit to get a quote on new tires for the Reflex as well. Maybe I'll see you up there.

Sorry about the SH, that is the first one that I've heard that happening to. Unlucky!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

They had your bike for this long???
Was the bike acting funny or did the engine light come on before you took it there?
I can't say much about the problem except every and any bike will have a problem once in a while, but waiting a month for a Honda part is really wrong.
You might want to find a new shop.

Did you try the SH forum? Some of them know a lot about this bike.

Good luck hope this works out cause the SH is a great bike.
jasondavis48108

The scooter has been wonderful I don't blame Honda as this type of thing can happen to the best models. I blame the shop completly. They are the ones who didn't order the part for the first two weeks after they took posession of my scooter and they are the ones who have lied to me twice about when the work would actually be completed. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression, the SH150 is an awesome scooter and if you have a reliable Honda service center or can do the work yourself I would highly recommend the sh150 as an amazing around town scooter that can handle highway (not express way) riding.

Rippinyarn, that is the shop I was talking about so I'm glad to hear you have had psoitive expeiences with them :) I love my sh150 I just need a shop worthy of her :)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Sounds like Vespa Schenectady all over again!

I hope the new shop you found treats you well... it really sucks when the people you plan to trust with your vehicle take advantage of you like this.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

jasondavis48108 wrote:The scooter has been wonderful I don't blame Honda as this type of thing can happen to the best models. I blame the shop completly. They are the ones who didn't order the part for the first two weeks after they took posession of my scooter and they are the ones who have lied to me twice about when the work would actually be completed. I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression, the SH150 is an awesome scooter and if you have a reliable Honda service center or can do the work yourself I would highly recommend the sh150 as an amazing around town scooter that can handle highway (not express way) riding.

Rippinyarn, that is the shop I was talking about so I'm glad to hear you have had psoitive expeiences with them :) I love my sh150 I just need a shop worthy of her :)
that suxs... maybe talk to the shop owner/manager/whoever's in charge and see if they would be willing to extend your warrantee by a month since you've been waiting and waiting. assuming, from what you've said so far, that you've been nice and civil to them and gave them the benefit of the doubt multiple times only to be left waiting for a month, it seems like a fair thing to ask.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
theflash784

Very unhappy with local shop

Post by theflash784 »

Sorry to hear you have are having problems getting your Honda going. Did you get your little Buddy fixed after it was stolen/recovered?
jasondavis48108

Re: Very unhappy with local shop

theflash784 wrote:Sorry to hear you have are having problems getting your Honda going. Did you get your little Buddy fixed after it was stolen/recovered?
No I haven't I was actually going to wait to get the sh150 back first lol :) I'm seriously thinking about selling the Buddy 50 and using the funds to build an electric bicycle. I have a feeling that would be the most reliable form of transportation for me as I have a lot of experience building and fixing bicycles so all I'd need to learn to work on the the electric motor kit. Also I have the studded snow tires for two of my bicycles so I'd be able to ride it year round.
jasondavis48108

Since we have a world class motorcycle service department at the college I work at I sent an email to the two guys I know in that department asking them for a recommendation for a good shop. They told me to just bring my scooters to them and all I'd have to pay for is the parts! These guys are seriously amazing mechanics and so I know the work will be done right. I asked them if I could donate the labor cost to thier department and they said it wasn't necesary, the stduents get to learn by fixing the bike and so it's a win win situation. Man I love it when things work out like this :D
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I'm glad to hear this is ending well for you jason, but terribly distressed in general. I've been feeling a little frustrated about not having a Genuine/Kymco dealer within a thousand miles of us and was thinking about consolidating to a Honda. Guess I'll have to wait until I move to Canada...

Let me know if the bike conversion goes well, and if so, if you want to make a few extra bucks doing another. :)