Rain Riding

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HepCat

Rain Riding

Post by HepCat »

Soo.. Riding in the rain = FUN!
but awfully hard to see... I wear googles. Any suggestions for visibility in the rain? I like the idea of the gloves, that have the little rubber squeegee on the thumb so you can wipe when stopped. Does anyone have these?.. maybe treating them with Rain-X?

-Blind as a HepCat
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I use Nikwax spray on my face shield. The water just beads right off when you're moving. I'm not sure if it would work as well on goggles, though, since part of what makes the Nikwax work is the wind blowing across the curve of the facemask.

(That reminds me - need to do a quick re-application before I head out today. It's raining pretty hard this morning.)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I always just give my head a slight turn to one side then the other and the wind does all of the work. This didn't work as well when I wore goggles and a half helmet but it worked well enough.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I just stay home when it's wet out. Of course, it never rains here in Sunny CA.
HepCat

Post by HepCat »

Tazio wrote:I just stay home when it's wet out. Of course, it never rains here in Sunny CA.
Haha.. well if I ever want to ride up here in WA.. gotta like the wet :)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Love the weather in Washington. Didn't see a lot of scoots though. Ta-Compton (or Seattle I think it was)... Last time I was there I went to this place called Tap House bar and grill for lunch. 167 beers on tap. Must need it cos it gets cold up there.... Better than the desert...
HepCat

Post by HepCat »

Drum Pro wrote:Love the weather in Washington. Didn't see a lot of scoots though. Ta-Compton (or Seattle I think it was)... Last time I was there I went to this place called Tap House bar and grill for lunch. 167 beers on tap. Must need it cos it gets cold up there.... Better than the desert...
I was there last week, heh.. we do like our microbrews
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I've seen gloves with the squegee on them and instantly thought: DAMN!!! WHY DIDN'T I PATENT THAT!?

As far as riding, I just try to avoid it. But when I can't I usually end up just wiping off the excess rain with the glove. Not very effective but thankfully in Arizona riding in the rain is pretty easy to avoid, especially when weather systems here move so quick that all you have to do is wait 15 minutes and most storms pass.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

HATE riding in the rain. Don't own rain gear. Have to ride like a frightened old lady. Drivers get all freaky around here when it rains.

Funny observation: Every day on my commute, I keep track of the rough number of motorcycles I see vs. number of scooters. Without fail, if it's raining, I see more scooters out than motorcycles. Same goes for when it's below 55° outside. A few days ago we had light morning rain and it was below 60°. Six scooters (not including me), one motorcycle.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
HepCat

Post by HepCat »

ericalm wrote:HATE riding in the rain. Don't own rain gear. Have to ride like a frightened old lady. Drivers get all freaky around here when it rains.

Funny observation: Every day on my commute, I keep track of the rough number of motorcycles I see vs. number of scooters. Without fail, if it's raining, I see more scooters out than motorcycles. Same goes for when it's below 55° outside. A few days ago we had light morning rain and it was below 60°. Six scooters (not including me), one motorcycle.
hmm.. that's interesting, come to think of it I saw more scooters out yesterday in the rain than usual... I'll have to pay more attention next time it rains (probably tomorrow, lol)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

neotrotsky wrote:I've seen gloves with the squegee on them and instantly thought: DAMN!!! WHY DIDN'T I PATENT THAT!?

As far as riding, I just try to avoid it. But when I can't I usually end up just wiping off the excess rain with the glove. Not very effective but thankfully in Arizona riding in the rain is pretty easy to avoid, especially when weather systems here move so quick that all you have to do is wait 15 minutes and most storms pass.
Ugh... I can't wait to move.

I try to avoid riding in the rain. The last two days the forecast has said "cloudy/mostly cloudy" for the entire time I'm at work, with 10-30% chance for precip... each day, about 5 minutes after I leave work, it starts misting. I personally think that's the worst for trying to see because it's just not enough water to bead up and blow off.
I'm getting rain gear to keep in my pet carrier for long rides away from home, as a just in case... otherwise I'm still going to be a mostly fair weather rider. I'll ride in the cold, just not in the wet.

EDIT: Of course, this morning the weather guy said we were going to have scattered thunderstorms throughout the day, so I took my car to work-- it's been sunny and warm (60-ish) since 11am, with a few little fluffy clouds here and there, but that's it. No rain, no thunderstorms, very few clouds. :evil:
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Here its nice because you can see the walls of rain heading toward you so you decide to pull over or ride it through.

Ofcourse a little rain in 100 degree weather is actually really refreshing.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I fell in the rain and now try not to ride in it. If I do however, I find it decidedly less "fun."

I do ok, though. Just be careful while having fun.
Riding is riding