NBR: Two lonely Beasties they be... MCA Passes away

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

NBR: Two lonely Beasties they be... MCA Passes away

Post by neotrotsky »

http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/05/04/adam ... boys-dead/

Without the Beastie Boys hip-hop, DIY production and even electronic music wouldn't be where it is today. They haven't officially release the cause of death, but it's universally considered to be from complications with his treatment for aggressive throat cancer.

RIP MCA.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Really sad, I remember them as the first group to really bridge the gap between hardcore/metal/punk and hip-hop. I got so freakin excited when I saw the guitarist from slayer in the no sleep till brooklyn video, made me feel a bit less of an odd ball for loving both metal and hip hop so much :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Rest in peace MCA. :(
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

It's probably not appropriate to play "Sabotage" in a cube farm, but I did when I heard the news.

Not cranked, obvs, but I imagine the cubes immediately next to me could hear.

EDIT: add "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" to the playlist
HepCat

Post by HepCat »

I don't believe I EVER met anyone who did not like the Beastie Boys regardless of their background or musical taste.. a great loss to the music community :(
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Ah man, the Beastie's were awesome. What sad news for me to hear. :cry:
Riding is riding
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Real Real sad about this one of my all time faves!!! :cry:
R.I.P Adam!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Yeah, when I heard that, a part of my died. The BB got me through some tough times when I was very young, and they are a really great group.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is a big loss.

Having a discussion on FB about the first time I heard "Paul's Boutique." I didn't care for "Licensed to Ill" when it came out because I was all serious and new wave-y (or whatever) and it seemed like novelty party jams for people I didn't hang out with in high school.

First time I heard "PB" was at a friend's apartment in Austin. He'd always been ahead of the curve on hip-hop, especially for someone I hung out with back then. It immediately blew my mind. It was transformative and new and just a little magic in a way that I don't seem to experience nearly enough these days.

MCA was the deep Beastie. He was the political one, the philosophical one, the otherwise soft-spoken and zen one.
HepCat wrote:I don't believe I EVER met anyone who did not like the Beastie Boys regardless of their background or musical taste.. a great loss to the music community :(
I know plenty who don't like them. Some are even my age or younger.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Man, seriously, I now know how everybody felt when Steve Jobs passed.
The first three cassette tapes I ever owned were:

Bark at the Moon-Ozzy
Born In the USA-The Boss
license to Ill-The beastie boys

I got them cause I won a Boombox in a bike-a-thon I was in....
Who knew that my musical taste would stay so diverse and my love of Bicycles would carry over to the dude I am today :cry:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

The Sabotage video will live on forever.

Forever

Undoubtedly the funkiest white dudes to ever come out of....anywhere.

rip
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well I'm on, 'til the crack of dawn,
Mowin' down MC's like I'm mowin' the lawn!

Been listening to nothing buy all night. Even the place I went for dinner was playing all Beasties.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Damn. I was/am a huge Mott the Hoople Ian Hunter Fan. My Brother took that and added the Clash, who I also like... But we BOTH loved The Beastie Boys. I am so saddened by MCAs passing... Way way too young.
96 Decibel Freaks