Does anyone know if they make these for scooters?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

Does anyone know if they make these for scooters?

Post by michelle_7728 »

This may not be the ultimate answer, but it could be a nice addition to the security arsenal.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, the description in the Youtube page says "bike, scooter, or moped" and talks about its adjustability.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

A motorcycle would be very difficult to remove easily from the front wheel. The Buddy only weighs around 225 lbs. Two people could easily pull the wheel off and throw it in a truck. I think it could work somewhat but it is not as secure as it appears.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

bluebuddygirl wrote:A motorcycle would be very difficult to remove easily from the front wheel. The Buddy only weighs around 225 lbs. Two people could easily pull the wheel off and throw it in a truck. I think it could work somewhat but it is not as secure as it appears.
Yes, but a thief THAT determined, armed with knowledge and proper tools, is probably going to find a way to get your bike no matter what you secure it with. Most thieves will not be armed with such dangerous things... just an intent to steal. I feel like this thing would be a SIGNIFICANT deterrent.

My only issue is that I feel like it should be a visible yellow color or something... what if they went on about starting to hot wire or break your steering column or something before noticing it was locked and bolted down? No point in a deterrent that the thief doesn't notice.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Pretty sweet, although I agree about the color and they should add some sort of alarm feature.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

bluebuddygirl wrote:A motorcycle would be very difficult to remove easily from the front wheel. The Buddy only weighs around 225 lbs. Two people could easily pull the wheel off and throw it in a truck. I think it could work somewhat but it is not as secure as it appears.
Well, going with my original statement about it being just one of the items in a security arsenal, an additional security thing could be to lock a chain around the body of the scooter, locking that to the front tire also. =)

Color would be easy to fix...just a can of spray paint.

I didn't see that comment about moped or scooter when I posted (I'm sure that if you say it's there, it is--I'm not always the most observant person!). I wonder if those words came from the company, or just as a generic way to describe the video on YouTube, to get more hits on their viewcount.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
viney266

Post by viney266 »

we used to use wheel chocks like these at the shop. They are very secure. Its a good idea turning one into a lock. The only issue is they are a little hard to get a heavy back back out of.

The only worry for a scooter is that the wheel will be too small and the brake disc will run into the locking device. So, I'm not sure if this will work for a scooter. And the scooter wheel isn't open enough either.

I agree that the front wheel can be easily removed on some bikes. But, its still a GREAT way to lock up a bike that you park at the same spot every day.

Depends on how much security you need. For high security a severe lock thru the frame is still the best. Attached to a solid object.

My old shop was in the hood, so we got good with locks :(
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?