I love my helmet and armored jacket.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sailboat13

I love my helmet and armored jacket.

Post by Sailboat13 »

http://www.indeonline.com/news/x2138755 ... oter-crash Thanks to Modern Buddy I'll be ok. Sore as hell though. I wear protective gear because I was told to when I first joined Modern Buddy.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Good job wearing the gear! Hope you heal up soon and repair/replace the scoot.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

So glad to hear you are only sore! Hope you are reimbursed for the scooter and the soreness doesn't turn out to be anything serious. Did you get yourself checked-out?

but, dammit, it's in the 80's today and I was contemplating leaving my jacket under the seat for the ride home. I think I will re-think that idea.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I love my gear too.

Betcha $10 this story's actually about a guy on a mobility scooter, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Whew! Glad you're OK. The 'ol left turn into a scooter/MC maneuver. It's always the left turners.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

ericalm wrote:I love my gear too.

I think the person in the article is the gentleman that started this thread. I don't think he was simply reporting the article. Glad he is okay.
96 Decibel Freaks
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Also, while not impossible, I'd fathom it's difficult to "lay it down" on a mobility scooter... :wink:

Well protected, Sailboat. Heal up fast!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:

I think the person in the article is the gentleman that started this thread. I don't think he was simply reporting the article. Glad he is okay.
Gah! I owe Sailboat13 $10! That's what I get for not reading the text better!

Good to know you're okay! And sorry if my earlier post sounded flippant, all things considered.

(I have a Google alert for scooter reports in the news and half the results are mobility scooters!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

at least the report didn't call the scoot a moped :roll:
Riding is riding
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Glad you're okay Sailboat! Three cheers for proper gear!
chas

Post by chas »

ericalm wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:

Gah! I owe Sailboat13 $10! That's what I get for not reading the text better!

Good to know you're okay! And sorry if my earlier post sounded flippant, all things considered.

(I have a Google alert for scooter reports in the news and half the results are mobility scooters!)
Can somebody actually lay down a mobility scooter? Come to think of it, I bet that would actually look pretty funny in a sad/slow motioney kinda way.
Mutt the Hoople

Don't know about mobility scooters, but the motorized wheelchairs can cause some scary traffic issues :shock:
Have yet to see any of the "drivers" wearing gear or crash helmets though.
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ow! already too many people have crashed or been hit lately.

You guys are making me nervous!

Glad you're OK, be well!
laxer

Post by laxer »

Impressed and happy that you were wearing your gear and are okay. But I'm perhaps more impressed that you're 70 and you've figured out this internet thing :wink:
chas

Post by chas »

skully93 wrote:ow! already too many people have crashed or been hit lately.

You guys are making me nervous!

Glad you're OK, be well!
We're just getting our crashes and falls out of the way so we that we still have time to get our scooters/broken bodies up and running before summer really kicks in.
chas

Post by chas »

laxer wrote:Impressed and happy that you were wearing your gear and are okay. But I'm perhaps more impressed that you're 70 and you've figured out this internet thing :wink:
+1

Well said.
Mutt the Hoople

chas wrote:
laxer wrote:Impressed and happy that you were wearing your gear and are okay. But I'm perhaps more impressed that you're 70 and you've figured out this internet thing :wink:
+1

Well said.
+another one... I was impressed with a guy who is 70 who is a scooter rider... And wears the gear too... Good for you Sailboat 13
96 Decibel Freaks
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I know a couple other septuagenarians who scoot and they're also wise enough to gear up! (One ride a Buddy and is sometimes on MB…)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

So glad you are alright. I was just driving through Massillon today and thinking how unaware some of the drivers seemed to be, not that Akron is any better, just more familiar : ) Keep us/me updated. Us NE Ohio scooter riders gotta stick together.
michelle_7728

Re: I love my helmet and armored jacket.

Post by michelle_7728 »

Sailboat13 wrote:http://www.indeonline.com/news/x2138755 ... oter-crash Thanks to Modern Buddy I'll be ok. Sore as hell though. I wear protective gear because I was told to when I first joined Modern Buddy.
Aren't helmets and armored jackets great? I was in a wreck a couple of years ago when I first started riding (age 48 at the time). Basically I landed on my shoulder and slid into the SUV hitting my head below the door area on the frame.

Believe it or not, I was totally fine, except for a little road rash on my knee. Did chiropractic for a while just to be on the safe side though.

Get well soon!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:Don't know about mobility scooters, but the motorized wheelchairs can cause some scary traffic issues :shock:
I would need a helmet if I had one, 'cuz I'd be overvolting that sunnovagun... I learned all kinds of nifty things watching BattleBots. :wink:

~SM
Mutt the Hoople

Swordsman wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:Don't know about mobility scooters, but the motorized wheelchairs can cause some scary traffic issues :shock:
I would need a helmet if I had one, 'cuz I'd be overvolting that sunnovagun... I learned all kinds of nifty things watching BattleBots. :wink:

~SM
LOL
:lol:
96 Decibel Freaks
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Glad you're okay!

As for mobility scooters... when my mum went to go look at my 170 at the city impound lot, she said it was at the back of the lot in a small row of scooters, two of which were mangled mobility scooters, which is kind of a sickening thought if you ask me.
Sailboat13

An adjuster is coming this AM to look at my scooter.

Post by Sailboat13 »

Boy, this is getting to be tiresome. I have a question,,,My shoie helmet hit pretty hard on the road. It may have even saved my life (who knows). I've read that even though a helmet is not cracked or show any signs of being damaged one should never wear it again. I went and got a written replacement cost (@$725.00) and I intent to show this to the fella coming this morning to look at my scooter. Even though the guy was ticketed for failure to yield his insurance hasn't agreed to pay yet. ( I have a lawyer). Should I try to make them buy me a new helmet? Thank you
Capt_Don

Re: An adjuster is coming this AM to look at my scooter.

Post by Capt_Don »

Sailboat13 wrote:Boy, this is getting to be tiresome. I have a question,,,My shoie helmet hit pretty hard on the road. It may have even saved my life (who knows). I've read that even though a helmet is not cracked or show any signs of being damaged one should never wear it again. I went and got a written replacement cost (@$725.00) and I intent to show this to the fella coming this morning to look at my scooter. Even though the guy was ticketed for failure to yield his insurance hasn't agreed to pay yet. ( I have a lawyer). Should I try to make them buy me a new helmet? Thank you
Yes you should try!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

To the OP - Way to rock the gear! Glad that you are OK.

And yes, if a helmet contact the ground or another hard surface WITH YOUR HEAD IN IT, it should be replaced as the "compressability" of the lining has been compromised. It's done its job slowing the impact of your brain into your skull.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sailboat,

I got a new helmet and all I had was a tiny scuff on the paint. The insurance company doesn't want to mess around with your safety. If you have comprehensive coverage, whether or not the other insurance agrees you can just ask them for the cost.

Of course I'm going off my Geico exp, your mileage may vary.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I just got another Bell Custom 500 and face shield in the mail yesterday. As I noted in another thread, some asshat knocked my scooter over onto the helmet, which was locked to the side of the scoot using the underseat pegs. It scraped a good bit of the metalflake off the helmet, and you could feel a distortion from the inside of the helmet.

Since the Bell and shield were only about $130 or so compared to the Shoei's $750, I didn't consider filing a claim. I chalked it up to experience and to the helmet taking the hit and preventing any damage to the scooter's panels, mirrors, levers, or trim.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Yes, you should claim the helmet and your torn up armored clothing. It's all part of damages as a result of the accident. If the claims adjuster gives you guff, print out ANY helmet company's statement that a helmet needs to be replaced after an impact.
LunaP

Re: An adjuster is coming this AM to look at my scooter.

Post by LunaP »

Sailboat13 wrote:Boy, this is getting to be tiresome. I have a question,,,My shoie helmet hit pretty hard on the road. It may have even saved my life (who knows). I've read that even though a helmet is not cracked or show any signs of being damaged one should never wear it again. I went and got a written replacement cost (@$725.00) and I intent to show this to the fella coming this morning to look at my scooter. Even though the guy was ticketed for failure to yield his insurance hasn't agreed to pay yet. ( I have a lawyer). Should I try to make them buy me a new helmet? Thank you
YES. Yes. Yes.

If they won't buy you one outright, you can tell them that they must pay to have your helmet INSPECTED. As I understand it, this is usually done by mailing it to the manufacturer. A helmet that has no outside damage can be taken apart and inspected for damage on the inside- damage to the parts that would actually protect you during a crash- and then put back together.

The insurance company would likely have to pay shipping both ways and a fee for the inspection. The upside for them is that if no damage is found, this is less costly than replacing your helmet (and you don't have to buy a new one). BUT if they find that it is in fact damage they will have to pay for a replacement AND for the inspection.

Make some calls to your local shop and to Shoei about getting the helmet inspected- if they don't offer it, then it isn't an option. Also, did your helmet come with a warranty? Is crash replacement with that warranty? Some of the expensive, higher end helmets offer manufacturer's warranties that replace the helmet if it goes down in a crash, all you need to provide is a police report.

ANY gear that you scuffed up should technically be replaced. If you scuffed a jacket or boot, it has lost integrity and sturdiness in the place where it was scuffed or torn and can't be relied on to protect you in that same spot in the future.

I know how frustrating fighting with insurance is, I'm in the middle of it myself, but it will be worth it in the long run. Absolutely ask for your lawyer's help if you need it. You could also try and see if your insurance agent from your company has any tips for you.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Glad your ok! I knew something was always up with the Lefties ;) I kid I kid.. Heal up!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

Very glad you are going to be OK, and hopeful that you can get all expenses back from the damage caused to you by the accident.

Last night, on my first scooter night ride home from work on my new scooter, the last thing I ever expected was to pull up to a red light and turn just in time to see a ginormous pit bull (or mix) LUNGING out of an open car window to get at me, while barking like he wanted to tear my head off. Holy yikes!!! The driver AND passenger barely managed to get hold of him before he was out, but then she just sat there holding on to his collar, without even looking at me, apologizing or even ROLLING HER WINDOW UP! For three stop lights! I do not hate dogs, or pits, but I sure dislike the stupid ghetto people in my neighborhood.

If you know your dog likes to, oh, I don' t know, ATTACK people, maybe you should drive with your windows rolled up, hmmm? I was pretty scared, but also gratefeul I was wearing armor!
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Heh.

Sorry you had to get surprised by ANGRY DOG! Some dogs HATE scooters, and the owner might not have known that at the time.

Generally keeping your windows at a level where the dog isn't able to do stupid things is a good rule though...
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

ericalm wrote:I know a couple other septuagenarians who scoot and they're also wise enough to gear up! (One ride a Buddy and is sometimes on MB…)
There is a guy in his 90s over on the Modern Vespa forum. Rides regularly out to the air field to meet up with his flying buddies.

Glad the OP suffered no serious injury and the insurance company is liable for all your accessories, helmet, gear and anything else damaged (cell phone in pocket for example.)
Last edited by cdwise on Fri May 25, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I have a big herd of sheep that move from pasture to pasture around where I live. The dog that guards the sheep HATES my scooter. Everytime I drive by he'll race next to the fenceline the whole time I drive by and bark like mad. I know the sheep herder, so one day he was out and I stopped to chat. He commented that his dog wasn't barking for fun, he could tell by the dog's bark that the dog was REALLY angry. He said don't get close to it. I have no idea why the dog would be so angry.
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

RE: Dogs that hate scooters

Maybe it is because they are confused? Are we a car? A person? Some speed demon /giant bunny rabbit out to invade their territory?

My husband said that one my scooter last night, I must have appeared to that vicious dog like the robot bunny greyhounds chase during their races as we kept meeting up and different stoplights.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
Sailboat13

Bad news

Post by Sailboat13 »

I got a long awaited phone call from my lawyer today. The insurance company for the guy who turned in front of me told my lawyer that because they think that I could have somehow avoided that guys truck that they would only pay 65% of my damages. They said that they thought I "over reacted" by hitting my brakes and that I could have turned (or something) to avoid the accident. The guy was cited for failure to yield. DAMN! They aren't going to pay any of my medical. I am in shock over this turn of events.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've never heard of an insurance company trying to claim partial culpability for something like this. Is your insurance going to help fight this? That's part of what they (should) do.

Were there any witnesses?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

yeah that sounds like a major cop out. "well, you could have avoided this ridiculous circumstance.."

Sure I could have, I could have had people IQ tested, and anyone that failed wouldn't be allowed to drive, much like your brain donor client.....

If there were any witnesses at all, I would argue the case beyond belief.
Sailboat13

Its nearly over now,,,finally.

Post by Sailboat13 »

Just got a call to come in and sign a check to finalize the whole thing. Without going into it too much I'll end up with just enough to pay my bills and a few bucks left over. The guys insurance person was not going to pay much of anything until we got a witness to say that there was no way I could avoid that truck. Still, even after admitting fault the guy made us fight for every penny. Its been a long road and I'm glad its nearly over.
One thing I learned was that a personal injury lawyer doesn't make any money from damages, only Med bills. I wasn't at fault, I didn't try to run up my med bills, but I still was put through a ringer just getting them to pay. I'm happy that I'm Ok, but this whole thing has left me feeling pissed for what I had to go through. PS. They WOULD Not replace my helmet nor jacket. They gave a me a few bucks for both,,,,that's it. If I wanted to fight it it would have taken more time and money and they knew that, thus the small settlement. Best thing is I'm Ok.
phatch

Post by phatch »

That's REALLY crappy... If only we were all lawyers! Hey, at the very least, you're still here, and we can thank the gear for that!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow that's pretty bad. I was treated better when a woman pulled out in front of me and I didn't even have a lawyer. :roll:

Well, like you said, you're okay. You have that to be thankful for, at least.