What motorcycle would you get?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I've been riding for a pretty long time and I've had the great fortune to have owned (or at least ridden) many of the bikes folks mention like the Kawasaki triples (I had the H1 500), the GB500 (I <3 thumpers and have also ridden the FT500 & SR500), the RD250/350/400, the airhead BMWs (I had the R60/5 & R100RT), Harley Sportster and a whole bunch of other bikes.

In the real world of modern motorcycles, it's a tough call, but the modern Triumph Bonnevilles are the bike I always seem to have in the back of my mind. Lower back problems preclude me from ever again riding bikes with clip-ons (the GB500 did me in), so the Thruxton is out despite its beautiful lines. I'd happily settle for a garden-variety T100, I think. I like the orange-white color scheme, which is a bit uncommon. Fortunately for my bank acct and marriage, the nearest Triumph dealer is a long way away. :?
Attachments
Triumph T100.JPG
Triumph T100.JPG (123.43 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Honda might do well if they re-released the GB500 in the US. Same with the Kawasaki W650/now 800. (If they were a grand less than a Triumph, that is.)

The Triumphs are becoming ridiculously common here. That's not to say anything against them, of course. But someone must be making a killing selling Bonnies in SoCal these days!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ranette

Post by ranette »

My first motorcycle was a Ducati GT1000 but from the moment I saw a Moto Guzzi Griso I knew I wanted to own one, now I do.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Yamaha r6 but since I undoubtably would get myself into trouble on that. I ride the scoot lol
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:Honda might do well if they re-released the GB500 in the US. Same with the Kawasaki W650/now 800. (If they were a grand less than a Triumph, that is.)

The Triumphs are becoming ridiculously common here. That's not to say anything against them, of course. But someone must be making a killing selling Bonnies in SoCal these days!
I think I know the reason why. People want a "real motorcycle", that is neither a laid-back cruiser nor a lean-forward crotch rocket. I think it's part nostalgia and partly a simple desire for an uncomplicated motorcycle. And I don't think it's just being driven by "re-entry" riders like myself, either.

The current Cycle World has an excellent article up front by Mark Hoyer that says that the time is ripe for the manufacturers, and he was particularly speaking of the Japanese, to bring back some bikes we had before. Some are still produced, just not sold in the U. S.

He specifically mentions the Kawasaki W800, with is a Bonneville lookalike, and there is the Yamaha SR400, which is reduced from the 500cc version we know for the Japanese domestic market.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:
ericalm wrote:Honda might do well if they re-released the GB500 in the US. Same with the Kawasaki W650/now 800. (If they were a grand less than a Triumph, that is.)

I think I know the reason why. People want a "real motorcycle", that is neither a laid-back cruiser nor a lean-forward crotch rocket. I think it's part nostalgia and partly a simple desire for an uncomplicated motorcycle. And I don't think it's just being driven by "re-entry" riders like myself, either.

The current Cycle World has an excellent article up front by Mark Hoyer that says that the time is ripe for the manufacturers, and he was particularly speaking of the Japanese, to bring back some bikes we had before. Some are still produced, just not sold in the U. S.
My point exactly, though I think the big manufacturers are already a couple years behind on catching this trend for the US market.

Each segment of the bike market has its core adherents and always will, but the trends or certain types having a high degree of appeal to casual buyers, first time buyers, etc. are cyclical. The current wave will peak in the next year or two if it hasn't already.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SSCAM

Post by SSCAM »

I like anything Triumph. I just picked up a 2012 Speed Triple in April and I love pretty much everything about it.

In the past, I've owned Ducati, Buell and Honda bikes. My next large motorcycle will probably be a dual sport of some variety.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tocsik wrote:Here's a 1965 Honda S65: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3036251128.html
Several reports of these getting over 150MPG! One claimed 190. :shock:

Saw one the other day (may have been an S90). Love.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
Southerner wrote:

I think I know the reason why. People want a "real motorcycle", that is neither a laid-back cruiser nor a lean-forward crotch rocket. I think it's part nostalgia and partly a simple desire for an uncomplicated motorcycle.

My point exactly, though I think the big manufacturers are already a couple years behind on catching this trend for the US market.

Each segment of the bike market has its core adherents and always will, but the trends or certain types having a high degree of appeal to casual buyers, first time buyers, etc. are cyclical. The current wave will peak in the next year or two if it hasn't already.
Interesting! I happened to be reading this while watching a documentary on the SpaceX rockets. SpaceX is hoping eventually to launch manned flights using spacecraft design that more resembles the late 1960s than the later spaceship technology. What could happen is a wave of convergence of older technological design paradigms with newer materials and technologies all being driven by post-crash economic reality and other factors. This is pretty far afield from scooters, sorry, :oops: but sometimes trends emerge in the PTW industry before they emerge elsewhere.
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Check out the new Honda NC700X. Parallel twin, laid down, low rev, high torque 700 cc engine that in road tests in England delivered 70+mpg with a top speed of over a hundred. Add in scooter-like storage and you have the one I think I'd want.
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:Check out the new Honda NC700X. Parallel twin, laid down, low rev, high torque 700 cc engine that in road tests in England delivered 70+mpg with a top speed of over a hundred. Add in scooter-like storage and you have the one I think I'd want.
Make it look like this and you'd have the one I think I'd want.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote:Check out the new Honda NC700X. Parallel twin, laid down, low rev, high torque 700 cc engine that in road tests in England delivered 70+mpg with a top speed of over a hundred. Add in scooter-like storage and you have the one I think I'd want.
I've noticed that there hasn't been much info coming from Honda USA about the NC700X. I wonder if the NC is going to be one of those bikes they treat like a red-headed stepchild (think DN-01) or if they're just biding their time until they know when the NX will actually be available here. Powersports.Honda.com still lists availability as "Summer 2012" and they still haven't posted the color(s) of the non-ABS/DCT version of the NC. I'm not bashing Honda USA, it's just that I've just been down this road with them before.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
I've noticed that there hasn't been much info coming from Honda USA about the NC700X. I wonder if the NC is going to be one of those bikes they treat like a red-headed stepchild (think DN-01) or if they're just biding their time until they know when the NX will actually be available here. Powersports.Honda.com still lists availability as "Summer 2012" and they still haven't posted the color(s) of the non-ABS/DCT version of the NC. I'm not bashing Honda USA, it's just that I've just been down this road with them before.
Honda USA doesn't seem to like new. They seem to like "we sell a bunch of these so we want more of this." The groundswell of demand and hype for a new product would have to be huge to get them to pay any attention. Espcially true for scooters, but I'm sure it applies to their less traditional motorcycles.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

If the past is any indicator, I think they will sell some of the standard shifters for the price and a few of the automatics to people who want a MC but don't want to shift. Those will be the only people willing to pay the premium.

Honda has a history of trying perfectly good ideas that the market (in the U. S., at least) won't sell. The list is quite long.

Remember the Hawkmatic? It worked but was still not a success. The regular bike was a good seller. Of course, 400-500cc bikes in general don't selll any more. I think the Suzuki GS500 was the last one.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Guy in my club is having this place build his bike for him. Pretty much would like to have an old Honda done up, but I don't really want a motorcycle, scoots are too cool. Just had a convo with a bunch of BMW guys last night. Blows motorcycle minds when you talk up scooters so much I think.

http://www.classifiedmoto.com/
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Looks good but I think I prefer the new RYCA scrambler concept. Still, looks good.

I really would prefer something with a thicker seat. Thin padding seems to be de rigeur with the currently fashionable cafe trend. Me ol' bum disdains fashion for comfort.
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

I'm pretty happy with my Aprilia Futura. Except for when its down needing parts, then I really regret buying an Italian bike.

TTaM

Post by TTaM »

Lostmycage wrote:
k1dude wrote:
cdwise wrote:I keep eyeing the Aprilia Mana everytime I go into the Aprilia dealership. Automatic, large storage in the "tank" upright seating and you can get NOW for $5,799.
Wow! Where are you getting the $5,799 price? Isn't MSRP somewhere around $9,500? The dealer in my neck of the woods always charges MSRP and won't budge.
Aprilia had a promotion a month or two back to blow out the 09 naked (non-ABS) version at that price. It's a good price for a lot of bike, I'm just not sure if you'd have any luck finding one at that price any longer.

If I were to get a Mana, I'd personally want to opt for the GT (with ABS, a half fairing and windshield). Huge difference in price between that and the blowout nudies. Makes it a little hard to swallow.

I've recently been rebitten by the V Strom bug. At first I thought I'd want the DL1000, but they refined the DL650 this year and that orange is kind of growing on me...

Decisions are hard!
My local Aprilia dealer had a few Mana's in stock at that price when I was there Saturday.

http://www.leossouth.com/showcaseproduc ... wroom=1500

My brother had a Strom bug bite too, until he rode a Versys. I'd have to agree with him, the Versys is a better bike, and a better buy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TTaM wrote:I'm pretty happy with my Aprilia Futura. Except for when its down needing parts, then I really regret buying an Italian bike.
What year is that? Is it from before Piaggio owned Aprilia?

Pre-merger, Aprilia had the worst reputation in the market for parts availability. Things got really confused when Piaggio bought them and then tried standardizing everything (by changing all the part numbers for ALL its products). It was a real mess for a while. Now, Aprilia parts are as easy to get as Piaggio/Vespa, meaning sometimes easy, sometimes you wait a long ass time and sometimes you're SOL. Parts for earlier Aprilia models are probably a nightmare!
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

ericalm wrote:
TTaM wrote:I'm pretty happy with my Aprilia Futura. Except for when its down needing parts, then I really regret buying an Italian bike.
What year is that? Is it from before Piaggio owned Aprilia?

Pre-merger, Aprilia had the worst reputation in the market for parts availability. Things got really confused when Piaggio bought them and then tried standardizing everything (by changing all the part numbers for ALL its products). It was a real mess for a while. Now, Aprilia parts are as easy to get as Piaggio/Vespa, meaning sometimes easy, sometimes you wait a long ass time and sometimes you're SOL. Parts for earlier Aprilia models are probably a nightmare!
Its a 2002, so pre-merger. I needed a rear hub and bearing this spring. It was in the shop for 2.5 months, and the parts alone cost nearly $1500.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Honda Nighthawk 250.
Great looking bike with the Rebel engine.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:Guy in my club is having this place build his bike for him. Pretty much would like to have an old Honda done up, but I don't really want a motorcycle, scoots are too cool. Just had a convo with a bunch of BMW guys last night. Blows motorcycle minds when you talk up scooters so much I think.

http://www.classifiedmoto.com/
This is pretty hot IMHO!

Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

THIS is the Guzzy that I want.... the Cafe Racer version..
Me on it at the Piaggio Training center.
Attachments
AlexV7Cafe.JPG
AlexV7Cafe.JPG (63.55 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Ahhhh, memories. My co-worker, a female computer operator who was about 4-foot-11 and a weekend cafe racer, had one of those transverse-V Moto Guzzis as her daily driver in the late '70s - it was low enough that she could flat-foot.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:This is pretty hot IMHO!

Yes! I love the beefy-looking upside-down forks, brakes, and tires on that bike. :twisted: I've been dreaming about something like that for years. The first Yamaha 920 was a euro-styled model (see pic below) that looked like it would be fairly easy to go café or maybe bob. They didn't sell well in the USA (of course) so Yamaha came back the next year with the Harley-styled Virago 920 and that was the end of the original XV920 here. Compare the original forks, brakes, and tires on the 1981 XV below to the pic above. They're downright spindly-looking by comparison, aren't they? :shock:

CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

The motorcycle I currently ride. A 2011 BMW R1200RT in Ostra Grey!
Although, if I had the means I would have quite the collection. One of every motorcycle listed in this post would be a good start.

:D
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

Just got back from my local Aprillia dealer to look at the Mana someone mentioned in this thread. They had two 2009, one new one used, and I was so impressed I almost walked out with one. Unfortunately my finances would not allow it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alexbv200 wrote:THIS is the Guzzy that I want.... the Cafe Racer version..
Me on it at the Piaggio Training center.
One step further… :)

I know several V7 owners. Not a screamer, but loads of style!
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

2012 Ural T with Sidecar For My Bulldog...
Attachments
2012-Ural-Tf.jpg
2012-Ural-Tf.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
Scooter Attitude For Me...
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

50cc's anyone?

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Another 50cc.

nickcornaglia

Post by nickcornaglia »

Before I bought my Psycho, I bought a 1970 Honda CB350. It proved to be a bit too much for me to try to service myself. But I'd eventually love to have another or something similar.
Attachments
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG (189.75 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
nickcornaglia

Post by nickcornaglia »

I like this '72 in green better!
Attachments
1972 Honda CB350.jpg
1972 Honda CB350.jpg (192.18 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

nickcornaglia wrote:Before I bought my Psycho, I bought a 1970 Honda CB350. It proved to be a bit too much for me to try to service myself. But I'd eventually love to have another or something similar.
Oh, sweet nostalgia! I used to own and ride one of those in gold and white. It was a great bike.
Attachments
CB350.jpg
CB350.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

Has anyone checked out Cleveland Cycle Werks? I'm thinking an Ace or a Misfit for me :D

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/
"You haven't lived until you ride."

"Everything is better with bacon."

Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Honda CB's is where it's at. 8)
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Demo_Nic wrote:Honda CB's is where it's at. 8)
yeah Honda really needs to bring some standards back to the states. like the Nighthawk 250.
theflash784

What motorcycle would you buy?

Post by theflash784 »

My first two wheeler vehicle was a little Yamaha 80. I learned how to ride in my backyard and on my dead end dirt road before taking the motorcycle test ions ago. I sold it after my first child was born. I kept my MC endorcement even though I had no plans to get back to riding. Then I saw a Ducati Condor 350 in this one catalogue of unusal and surplus things and for some reason it rang abell with me. These motorcycles had been used by the Swiss army and came complete with saddlebags and a mount for a rifle. I didn't have the money at the time to buy one but it got me thinking about riding again which lead me to scooters. In the real world though, if I did but a MC, it would probably be something much smaller but I still like the looks of the Condor.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was riding alongside a BMW F650 GS (newer parallel twin version) today and must say, I kind of liked it and could see myself on it as a touring bike.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:I was riding alongside a BMW F650 GS (newer parallel twin version) today and must say, I kind of liked it and could see myself on it as a touring bike.
Yeah, those are nice looking bikes even though they remind me of a bird:

I've thought of getting myself one also. But then Honda announced their auto trans dual sport and I decided to see what it was all about.

But realistically, I doubt I will ever ride a motorcycle again more than I ride my scooter. But cool looking motorcycles always get my blood flowing.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hehe, I'm at a conference this week. One vendor is giving away a Monster, which sadly looks too tall for me to keep upright at a stop, and another is giving away a Sportster. Wouldn't it be cool for one to give away a Buddy or two??? :-)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

PeteH wrote:Hehe, I'm at a conference this week. One vendor is giving away a Monster, which sadly looks too tall for me to keep upright at a stop, and another is giving away a Sportster. Wouldn't it be cool for one to give away a Buddy or two??? :-)
Actually, the seat height on the Monster isn't too bad. IIRC, it's somewhere around 30.5" which is only an inch or two higher than a Buddy. And you can lower it another inch with their lower seat height accessory seat.

Is the Sportster a Low or SuperLow?
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I have this Image and this Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bluebuddygirl wrote:I have this … and this Image
This pic is too small and dark! Is that an R65/5? I am :mrgreen: !
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

nickcornaglia wrote:I like this '72 in green better!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I would trade my Presonus digital console for one of those... and more! SEXY! The only other bike that would tempt me away from a Triumph (aside from a nice Stella/P200). Yes, they were mimicking the British, but that's ok! They made a sweet bike in the process.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Ressikan wrote:Has anyone checked out Cleveland Cycle Werks? I'm thinking an Ace or a Misfit for me :D

There have been many comments around about their use of lower-grade Chinese parts and a fit-and-finish that isn't quite up to the quality of competitors like SYM in their Wolf 150. Granted I have never seen one in the wild and I'm sure there isn't a single dealer for them in Arizona, but the buzz isn't that great about them from what I hear. That, and if they are hard to find parts could even be worse.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:
Ressikan wrote:Has anyone checked out Cleveland Cycle Werks? I'm thinking an Ace or a Misfit for me :D

There have been many comments around about their use of lower-grade Chinese parts and a fit-and-finish that isn't quite up to the quality of competitors like SYM in their Wolf 150. Granted I have never seen one in the wild and I'm sure there isn't a single dealer for them in Arizona, but the buzz isn't that great about them from what I hear. That, and if they are hard to find parts could even be worse.
I have seen them, though haven't ridden them. Not really impressed from the outside. I'd like to test ride one, though, just for kicks.
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

ericalm wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:

I have seen them, though haven't ridden them. Not really impressed from the outside. I'd like to test ride one, though, just for kicks.
I saw one of these at a local dealer, it looked SOOOO cheap.
Thin metal, bad chrome, cheap electronics... no thanks.