performance cdi / coil any suggestions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CAPE COD PSYCHO

performance cdi / coil any suggestions?

Post by CAPE COD PSYCHO »

OK My upgrading obsession has progressed to the ignition. I have been reading up on different cdi's and hp coils and I am wondering if any of my tech savvy fellow scooter enthusiasts have any recommendations? Scooterworks offers the ncy cdi and coil, but others have said they like bando.. Any experience or preference would be appreciated. Any pro's or cons? Is overheating an issue? Let me know what you think. By the time I'm done with my psycho it will be a whole new scoot ! LOL

Thanks for the help :lol:
JettaKnight

Re: performance cdi / coil any suggestions?

Post by JettaKnight »

CAPE COD PSYCHO wrote:OK My upgrading obsession has progressed to the ignition. I have been reading up on different cdi's and hp coils and I am wondering if any of my tech savvy fellow scooter enthusiasts have any recommendations? Scooterworks offers the ncy cdi and coil, but others have said they like bando.. Any experience or preference would be appreciated. Any pro's or cons? Is overheating an issue? Let me know what you think. By the time I'm done with my psycho it will be a whole new scoot ! LOL

Thanks for the help :lol:
I think a lot of us bot ours from some Taiwanese dude on EBay. You can search around here for the posts.

I'm happy with mine. As for overheating, no problems so far. I did rotate my air intake to act as a scope after I went to 161 cc.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Love my bando! No issues! :D
CAPE COD PSYCHO

Post by CAPE COD PSYCHO »

I ordered an electrical upgrade kit from buggy parts

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/components/ ... b776fd.gif

It arrived after only a few days. Simple swap over. Made a big difference. It feels stronger. It feels like it's making full use of the engine and NCY trans kit I installed.

I absolutely love my scoot. It is so much fun to ride, upgrade and work on
averacpa

Post by averacpa »

Yesterday I upgraded the CDI and coil with the Bando brand purchase from the ebay guy. Noticeable improvement, easy upgrade, glad I did it.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand;

If the stock CDI is upgraded such as to the NCY CDI, what advantage is upgrading the coil as well?

Thanks
Rick71454
Syd

Post by Syd »

rick71454 wrote:Hello BuddyLand;

If the stock CDI is upgraded such as to the NCY CDI, what advantage is upgrading the coil as well?

Thanks
Rick71454
Probably bigger spark. Bigger spark means (probably) more burnt fuel means (probably) more power per spark.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello Syd:

Thanks for your reply. I understand that increasing the spark plug gap would result in what your saying. However, I dont know if the capacity of the Buddy 125 electrical system would allow for much more of a larger than stock specification on the gap.

I ordered just a NCY CDI, will install that, and share with everyone what happens.

Rick71454
fossel

Post by fossel »

rolling wrench has a good one,with vedio instructions
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

rick71454 wrote:Hello Syd:

Thanks for your reply. I understand that increasing the spark plug gap would result in what your saying. However, I dont know if the capacity of the Buddy 125 electrical system would allow for much more of a larger than stock specification on the gap.

I ordered just a NCY CDI, will install that, and share with everyone what happens.

Rick71454
So now I am looking at the NCY CDI, and since this thread is from 2012, I'm guessing you've tested yours out. How do you like it?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Mine's been on there a while too, like it so far!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

skully93 wrote:Mine's been on there a while too, like it so far!
Is the coil necessary?
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

I'm going to jump in on this too and ask how much of a hit your mpg took with a performance CDI. Anyone?
Imabassplayer

Post by Imabassplayer »

Is a performance CDI enough of a differance for the price? Or is it worth saving the money and working on my transmission instead?
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Imabassplayer wrote:Is a performance CDI enough of a differance for the price? Or is it worth saving the money and working on my transmission instead?
Transmission first. The CDI is pretty low on the list of mods.
Imabassplayer

Post by Imabassplayer »

Thnx
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

My opinion on coils/plugs/wires/etc. This does NOT apply to an aftermarket CDI with a different ignition timing curve...

To quote Kevin Cameron (motorcycle tech guru)...

"There are only two classes of sparks - adequate to support combustion and inadequate to support combustion".

Believe it. There are no such animals as "adequate" and "more adequate". Read the original brain-melting tech article for more supporting detail, it's in one of his "Top Dead Center" compilation books.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Everyone who has upgraded that coil has loved it.

I'm not sure if it's just better quality or what, but it starts a lot easier in the cold and feels like it pulls stronger. I haven't the foggiest why. I don't think the 'higher rev limit' really does anything, but riding a stock buddy is still different.
Christophers

In the market for a performance CDI

Post by Christophers »

The time has come for me to replace the CDI on my scoot. What's the current word on the street about the best options?

Scooterworks has a couple of NCY CDI options, but they don't have any technical specification about them:

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Perfor ... -P489.aspx

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Replac ... -P795.aspx

And several people have mentioned the Bando CDI.
I can't find any information on or availability for that.

Anyone with experience buying and using these?
What have your results been and where did you buy? (link please, esp for the Bando option)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

>ping<

Bumping this thread.

Anyone. Anyone.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I don't run a Bando CDI, but I do use their ignition coil. I didn't know Bando even made a CDI. I used to use a an unknown manufacturer performance CDI (see pic) that I bought off eBay (search "gy6 cdi"). It is suppose to have an advanced timing curve and no rev limit (never hit a rev limit with the stock CDI...) but though I thought I could feel a performance gain, it caused an uneven idle (kind of like a V8 with a performance cam) which made me nervous at times because I kept thinking the engine would die. I eventually removed it just for my own peace of mind. Incidentally, NCY branded CDI units are all over eBay ranging in price from about $27 to $80. Don't know if any of them are counterfeit though. This one seems legit (for no particular reason...:)) for a reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NCY-Performanc ... -h&vxp=mtr

In case you're interested, I bought my Bando ignition coil from this vendor on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Ba ... 54&vxp=mtr
He's in Taiwan and I've been doing business with him for years. We've communicated via email and he's very knowledgeable and has good English skills. He's also very honest about products, good or bad. If you contact him, be sure to tell him your scooter is a PGO BuBu and not a Genuine Buddy.
Attachments
perf cdi.jpg
perf cdi.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That's it Babblefish! I was trying to remember the name of the Ebay guy from Taiwan. Your link was to one of his products - Autotech355. I bought my coil and CDI from him based on his recommendations.

I didn't feel any performance advantage though.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:That's it Babblefish! I was trying to remember the name of the Ebay guy from Taiwan. Your link was to one of his products - Autotech355. I bought my coil and CDI from him based on his recommendations.

I didn't feel any performance advantage though.
+1 Thanks Babblefish!

A handful of others had mentioned this guy, but no one remembered to provide a link. : P

I shot him a message regarding his offerings to see what he recommended.

He seems to have two possible choices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-CDI-Coi ... RM&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-CDI-Coi ... Rg&vxp=mtr

I'm not sure which one is appropriate for a Buddy.

Thanks to everyone that has posted their experience and impressions with whatever they've used so far!!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

They're both the same so either one will work. You'll notice that Autotechs' prices on products tend to be higher than most of the China vendors because what he sells is mostly made in either Taiwan or Japan.

To be honest, I don't notice any difference between the Bando coil and the stock coil. I like the sparkplug connector on the Bando though because its very robust and with all the fiddling I do on my engine it never fails. I think you should buy one of those ignition kits to try out so that you can report back to us on whether or not they're worth it.:)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I bought one of the cheap, orange Cdis with the faster spark advance on Amazon. The scoot is more responsive to the throttle but no increase in top speed. It works well and my scoot starts up easily.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:I think you should buy one of those ignition kits to try out so that you can report back to us on whether or not they're worth it.:)
OK - Deal! ;)

I'm replacing the CDI because the scooter has an "upper mid to full throttle stutter". My mechanic says "my strong impression is that we have an ignition issue", and he specifically suspects the CDI. It's definitely NOT the fueling (jetting or carburation) - fueling is spot on! I'll let you know if one of the performance CDIs solves the issue.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I tried an aftermarket ignition on another scoot and noticed no difference. I've never upgraded my stock buddy ignition because its always worked perfect. However I did advance the timing by moving the ignition pickup. My bike will do 74 mph on flat ground.

There are tons of fake NCY products on ebay. Autotech355 has been around forever. These guys are excellent to:

https://uniquegy6.ecrater.com/p/2985699 ... pgrade-kit

Made in the USA coil
https://uniquegy6.ecrater.com/p/2490042 ... l-gy6-50cc

coil and NCY box
https://uniquegy6.ecrater.com/p/2449739 ... em-upgrade

Also on Ebay at http://stores.ebay.com/Rovira-Motorcycle
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

lovemysan wrote:There are tons of fake NCY products on ebay. Autotech355 has been around forever.
I bought the "NCY" CDI off of the link that babblefish posted. :o
Hopefully it's legitimate.

I'll let you guys know!