Wood crate

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Demo_Nic

Wood crate

Post by Demo_Nic »

Guess what I had made?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102464371/c ... te-for-nic

I'll post pics once I receive it. I need to figure out how to mount it to my rear rack. Anyone have any suggestions on mounting hardware?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Take a look how I mounted my new basket a while back, I really would think the mounting would be similar or even the same (at least that's how I would do it)
10 in & 6 in 'mending plates' lock nuts, washers and stove bolts all readily available at local home improvement and/or hardware stores
Attachments
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG (77.89 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Looks great Kab! I think that's the way to go with maybe wingnuts for easy removal.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Demo_Nic wrote:Looks great Kab! I think that's the way to go with maybe wingnuts for easy removal.
My initial thoughts as well, however wing nuts vibrated loose in a few short miles on my first attempt. Hence the use of the nylon lined lock nuts, I've always the use of a small wrench as I park in my garage when home, don't think the need to remove 'on the fly' so to speak, thus making the use of wing nuts unnecessary.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

That is true. I park her in the garage so it would be easy enough to take it off when I need to.
Skootz Kabootz

Re: Wood crate

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Demo_Nic wrote:Guess what I had made?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/102464371/c ... te-for-nic

I'll post pics once I receive it. I need to figure out how to mount it to my rear rack. Anyone have any suggestions on mounting hardware?
That looks great Nik, but my first thought is the weight. How heavy is it? Don't forget that the Buddy rear rack is only rated to 15lbs. Any more weight than that and you can run in to structural problems. Also, the more weight there is on the rear rack the less weight there is keeping your front wheel in contact with the pavement. So do take care.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Demo_Nic

Re: Wood crate

Post by Demo_Nic »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:That looks great Nik, but my first thought is the weight. How heavy is it? Don't forget that the Buddy rear rack is only rated to 15lbs. Any more weight than that and you can run in to structural problems. Also, the more weight there is on the rear rack the less weight there is keeping your front wheel in contact with the pavement. So do take care.
Really? I thought the 15 lb limit was only for the original rack not the chrome? Either case it shouldn't be that heavy as it is made of pine. I don't plan to carry anything that heavy. It was meant more for things that won't fit in the pet carrier. I'll weigh it when it comes in.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

The weight limit is for the rack and anything on it that's attached to the rear of the bike. A friend put too much in his topcase and broke the welds where the rack bolts to.

We welded it up but got it slightly crooked :oops:
tc8105

Post by tc8105 »

People inspire you, or they drain you- pick them wisely ~Hans F Hansen
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

That is a great idea! I love seeing all the different adaptations everyone is putting off of the stock rack.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Oi! The crate is just under 10lbs. It is solid though and looks better in person. Would be perfect for a rack with a higher weight limit. I haven't decided whether to install it and just keep some light items in it like a jacket or helmet or go with a plastic crate. I was going to put on some reflective decals on the wood crate for extra visibility.