I am an idiot, Confirmed!!!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

I am an idiot, Confirmed!!!!!

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I am a embarrassed and wasn't going to say anything but I have a problem. I crashed today, no big deal, took a corner a bit fast and ran out of lane and hit the painted lines and lost it. The problem is with the scooter, it starts and idles fine, but when I apply the accelerator there is a rattling noise coming from the transmission, mainly in the clutch area. I am puzzled cuz I laid it down on the right side of the scoot. Could something have broke, and what, when she hit the ground?
Anyone else do any damage to their scoot from laying down?
I am going to take the rear wheel off to see if anything from the brake is loose. Any other suggestions?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Glad you're okay!

The impact could have knocked a number of things loose, from the clutch bell to the bearings. Did you hit the wheel itself? How are the rim and the rear axle?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

First off, I'm glad you're ok!

I've laid mine down, done damage, but fixed it and all is well. As the noise is coming from your transmission, have you opened up your transmission to make sure everything is OK in there? Also, check body panels, etc. They are plastic and can crack/break and that can easily make a rattling noise.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I didn't hit the wheel on anything just the front wheel going out from under me when I hit the center line.
I took the CVT cover off and everything looked and felt fine (solid). I started it up and gave it some throttle, the transmission operated like it should but the clunking noise was there. Tomorrow if I am able I'll pull the rear wheel and inspect the brakes. The panels seem solid, I might remove them too so I can inspect the frame.
If its a gear issue are there any tutorials on how to fix them?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

When I went down I laid it down on the right side at about 30-35mph and went for about a 20 yard slide — so in some ways similar to you. I had no clunking sounds or any other odd sounds. My only damage beyond cosmetic was the headset. So I don't know what could be the issue. It would make more sense that the noise came from the right side. Have you checked the exhaust all the way to the engine? Seems to me it would have taken the biggest hit.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ugh. Glad no one was hurt!

Hope you find the issue and it is quickly rectified.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Glad you are fine.

Is the noise synchronized with rear wheel movement, or engine revs? Try to narrow where to look that way.

Could be some debris in the fan?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Is the rattling constant, sporadic, occasional, happens once then not again?

A clunk and a rattle are very different!

Definitely check everything from the exhaust to the center stand, fenders and anything else that may have been knocked loose.

I'd rule out everything else before going into the rear hub.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Crashes are strange things. A 5mph bounce can completely screw up everything from bearings to the fuel system on your bike, yet my father laid his BMW down at 60mph and was able to ride it to the dealership for repair weeks later without doing anything to it!

A crash happens. The important thing is that you are OK, the gear did it's job and you're around to solve the problems with the bike. Don't harp on how "stupid" you feel you were. It is in the past. Just don't repeat the parts you could avoid and you'll be golden.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I'll check the exhaust, sounds logical.
As for gear, the only safety equipment I was wearing was my helmet and leather gloves, so I got pretty banged up. The heat has been pretty bad here so I left the jacket at home, another stupid move. Well thanx for all the advice and well wishes, much appreciated. I'll update later after I figure out whats wrong :D .
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

After I wiped out I had some crazy clunking noises and she rode like crap for a mile or so, all cleared up now and her new body parts come in today! It's a scarry thing having an accident and the first few rides were shaky at best since my nerves were raw. I bet you are a better rider because of it now though :)

I'll never forget the sound of a Buddy hitting the deck, it is a unique and horrible sound.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

glad you are ok :shock:
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com