[NSR] Euro 2012 - What the what?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Uncle Groucho

[NSR] Euro 2012 - What the what?!

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Anyone else gutted that Germany couldn't get their act together? I would have liked a Spain v Germany final. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait.

Never thought I'd say it, but c'mon Espana!

/Don't like Italy when it comes to football.

//Yes, I know I have an Italia; doesn't enter into it.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

laxer

Post by laxer »

I hate it when games go to PK's to decide, they're so very different from the rest of the game. It stinks that Germany got outplayed by a lousy Italian squad, but I feel even worse for Portugal who outplayed Spain but couldn't convert on their chances and then lost in PK's.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I heard a proposal that they have PKs at the beginning of each match. Then the team that loses the PKs knows they have to win to win. It would raise the stakes on the rest of the game and let the PKs happen when everyone is fresh.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I'd like to see the PK's done where the player brings the ball all the way from midfield and the keeper is allowed to come out of the cage.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Italy is just lucky this year. I was going for England but they were very poor and I knew they wouldn't win but I guess I gotta route for Spain cos this Italy team is dull and drab.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I was pulling for England just because they weren't even supposed to get out of the first leg, much less top the group.

A friend of mine back in Blighty put it succinctly; PKs are easier to sit through when you don't deserve to win.

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Love PKs. Simple and effective--one great play by the keeper or mistake by one of the shooters can be catastrophic. Pressure on every kick.

Would I rather the game be decided during regulation or the OT periods? Sure. But I still love PKs as a final way to determine a winner.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, I really don't like the italian team. I've traditionally not liked Germany's team (or Bayern Munich, which is virtually the same thing at the moment), but I love their current squad. It was sad to see them go.

Spain is undeniably great, I hope they win, because I agree that italy was lucky and Germany was the better team throughout the tournament.

I was backing Croatia and they put on a good show, so I was happy with that, they coulda beat Italy with a little more luck.

Penalty Kicks drive me nuts, it's like a baseball game gets to the 9th inning and they just say "OK, we'll play a round of bocce to declare a winner." I like ties in regular season (in hockey too) and where a game needs to be settled in a tournament, either do Golden Goal/Sudden Death until someone scores, or schedule a replay, or something that actually involves playing soccer. Maybe at 90" give each team 3 more subs to prevent injuries and overexertion in tournaments (and get some more reserves into the game!) I feel like PKs are just there to appease TV and advertisers so the schedules don't get messed up too much.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Didn't get a chance to post last night, but if you didn't watch the final you missed out. Watched the match with some Spanish friends at their home; facepaint, food, and beer. Lots of cheering, a little dancing. And that was *before* the match started. :lol:

Spain deserved it; Italy was outclassed after 10 minutes.

I hope Team USA took notes for two year's time...

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

All I can say is I love watching Xavi. Spain did shut it down a bit there after the first goal, but then perked back up and provided something to actually watch. It was unfortunate for the Italians, the injury sending Motta off, but they kept giving it a go. Although I can't stand Italia (ever since the Zidane incident), I felt a little sorry for them.