Some of us are mere mortals. Others are gods. Or just insane

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

Some of us are mere mortals. Others are gods. Or just insane

Post by k1dude »

Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

There is not enough gear in all the armies of all the nations to make this safe.
Speaking as someone who has been in a serious motorcycle accident, that was difficult to watch!
And I love watching motorcycle racing. Some of those spills were just too much.
Oy. :shock:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

I would just love to take that route on a scoot. That would be totally awesome!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

0.o

I think I'm going to file that under 'terrifying'

and that's coming from somebody who wants to jump out of an airplane
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

I would love to drive that road, but that is insane. I am still sore from dropping my scooter on Friday.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Amazing. Nuts, but amazing. Definitely the most dangerous road race that there is. A motorcycle/scooter trip to see it in person is way high on my on my bucket list.
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ender07

Post by ender07 »

Holy. God.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

So the guy at the end of the vid who was hugged by the girl with her fingers crossed was the only one who lived, so he won.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I loved the guy who raced through the fireball.

Looks like I have to get myself a racing bike now...
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lokky wrote:I loved the guy who raced through the fireball.

Looks like I have to get myself a racing bike now...
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Lokky wrote:I loved the guy who raced through the fireball.
+1
& then comes out of the fireball to see the downed rider in the road & then avoids him
TVB

Post by TVB »

With every new comment I become more glad that I haven't watched the video. :shock:
Rob

Post by Rob »

This reminds me of a post from awhile back ... something else I'll never do.

viewtopic.php?t=14392&highlight=clip

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:A motorcycle/scooter trip to see it in person is way high on my on my bucket list.
It isn't even safe for the spectators. IIRC, last year 3 riders died and 4 spectators died.

If you notice, a lot of spectators are watching from the most dangerous spots imaginable - from the outside of a turn!
Aguacate

yikes

Post by Aguacate »

3 things
1. how is this even possible, they look on the edge of crashing the whole time
2. I wouldn't want my house on that course
3. How do they clean the poop out of their suits afterwards.....
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

That video reminds me of the daily commute to work. Only instead of motorcycles it's cars, trucks and suv's on hwy 41. It also reminds me of why I take the back roads to work.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Keep in mind this video is edited to show only the most cringe-worthy parts of the race. There are also some wide open stretches to the circuit and plenty of safe viewing spots. My viewing spot of choice will no doubt be close to a pub :)

skully93

Post by skully93 »

Also keep in mind that there's a lot of CGI in that clip. you know, to make it 'EXTREME' enough for consumption. While there are many real crashes, there's a lot of bullshittery in the clip.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

skully93 wrote:Also keep in mind that there's a lot of CGI in that clip. you know, to make it 'EXTREME' enough for consumption. While there are many real crashes, there's a lot of bullshittery in the clip.
No CGI in this clip. Give it a watch...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/06/ ... pping-iom/
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

TVB wrote:With every new comment I become more glad that I haven't watched the video. :shock:
It's not that bad. :lol: If you've watched action movies, you've seen worse.

It does make me wish that I lived closer to civilization so I could go and experience track days on a trainer bike like a Ninja 250 or some such.

I believe that IOM is one of the last real streetrace events so the course is inherently more dangerous than a track.

I thought the guy who slid on his back until he slowed down then came to his feet showed particular style. Knowing when you're slowed down enough to do that is hard. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

There's nothing fake about any of the footage. They're doing between 165mph and 200mph on most of the course. It's off the charts insane. It's been compared to warp drive.

The helicopters can't keep up on the straights.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l9LNMsFjI48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by k1dude on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ahhhh! Ahhhhhh! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Wow.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

k1dude wrote:There's nothing fake about any of the footage. They're doing between 165mph and 200mph on most of the course. It's off the charts insane. It's been compared to warp drive.

The helicopters can't keep up on the straights.
Great clip K1, thanks for posting. I didn't know there was a day they opened the course up to the public. Always figured I'd just putt putt around it sometime when it was back to being regular roads. Hope to be scooting around it one of these years.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Great clip K1, thanks for posting. I didn't know there was a day they opened the course up to the public. Always figured I'd just putt putt around it sometime when it was back to being regular roads. Hope to be scooting around it one of these years.
You'd probably be better off putt putting around NOT during the 2 weeks of the race. Lots of public riders die on Mad Sunday. Evidently it gets pretty crazy out there between the drunk riders, the slow riders, and the wannabe racers. Lots of collisions and carnage on Mad Sunday.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I've seen this somewhere before...I think they called it Pod Racing.

On an entirely separate note, the Island of Man is somewhere I have always been fascinated with and where I'd like to spend a week relaxing after a busy week sightseeing in London.
Joker219

Post by Joker219 »

can you say speed wobble of doom????!!!! this is what is commonly know as completely bat sh** insane... on a separate note... some body should CGI a buddy 50 blistering by amongst a pack of super bikes as though it were doing about 250mph down a straight away like that. would be awesome!
For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. for there u have been and there you will forever long to be~~davinci
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

laxer wrote:I've seen this somewhere before...I think they called it Pod Racing.

On an entirely separate note, the Island of Man is somewhere I have always been fascinated with and where I'd like to spend a week relaxing after a busy week sightseeing in London.
A bit of trivia:
The Bee Gee's were born on the Isle of Man.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I so want to run my scoot through this course, and then edit the video with the "Benny Hill" theme song playing as the audio bed.

On a serious note, that is just an astoundingly good vid!
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Tocsik wrote:
laxer wrote:I've seen this somewhere before...I think they called it Pod Racing.

A bit of trivia:
The Bee Gee's were born on the Isle of Man.
For.reals? Will have to tell the wife, who's a big fan. I am not since I loathe disco, which is all they're remembered for.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

that 1st video is spliced from different years.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
phatch

Post by phatch »

To each their own...
Bluduh

Post by Bluduh »

For.reals? Will have to tell the wife, who's a big fan. I am not since I loathe disco, which is all they're remembered for.
Yeah, it's too bad that they're remembered for disco. They had practically an entire earlier career in the late '60's and *early* '70's and were great.

I guess they tried disco in the late '70's to earn a living. Kinda sad hearing those incredible voices and harmonies wasted on too much falsetto.