LemonHead Buddies!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

ScootLemont wrote:Other Chicago area companies Genuine could do special editions with....

Walgreens Big Flats Beer Roughhouse (in case you didnt know... Walgreens has its own brand of beer - "Big Flats")
Edit: maybe "beer" should have been in quotes

Sears Craftsman Edition Stella (with a full set of tools)

Kraft Mac & Cheese Edition Buddy (in yellow)
Or a brown & cream two tone Stella - the Oreo edition (Kraft makes those) actually this might look good

McDonalds Hamburglar edition Buddy in black & white (thats Hamburglar not not hamburger)

Sara Lee Honey Ham edition Stella with special ham smelling 2T exhaust - what color is ham? Pink-ish?

Baxter Labs Buminate Albumin Plasma Buddy in blood red

Caterpillar & John Deere are both close-ish to Chicago - I could see a special edition Rattler for either of them.
CAT & John Deere are too far away.

Zenith or Boeing would be awesome pairings with Genuine.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Heh! It's kinda fun to think about local Buddy tie-ins. If Genuine was here in Portland, there might be:
- Nike (of course!)
- Keen
- Columbia Sportswear
- Or, most fun of all, Voodoo Donut scooter!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Hmm, if they were in CT... My top picks:

Louis' Lunch (New Haven, home of the hamburger)
Frank Pepe's (New Haven, famous pizza)
Foxon Park (awesome glass bottle local soda in East Haven)

Others that would be cool/funny: Subway, Wiffle Ball, Pez, Bigelow Tea, WWE, Dooney & Bourke, Ethan Allen, Virgin Atlantic, Edible Arrangements, Stew Leonards, Sikorsky, Pepperidge Farm, Duracell, ESPN, Bic, Clairol, Playtex, Xerox, and finally, Knights of Columbus.

Peter Paul candy is here, if we want to stick with sweets :P
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Home Depot: Because love I orange!
Dewalt: The tool company
In & Out: How can you not?
Blizzard: Gaming company in Irvine
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

WAY too easy to get all political when it comes to Phoenix, but there could be some cool tie-in promotionals for here:

-Phoenix International Raceway (A Blur 220i tweaked up? World famous racetrack needs a cool scoot)
-Motorola (Bluetooth package and Android-based GPS/Anti-theft system installed? Offer a Droid with a custom edition case and homescreen)
-TASER International (Ultimate anti-theft system and a free color-matched Taser C2 to the bike!)
-Filibertos (Anyone who's eaten at this locally-famous taco stand chain knows all about the gas tie in)
-NASA rover-themed Buddies!!!
-Arizona State University Buddy!: Extra large top case with holders for as many Jagermister bottles as you can fit, attachable tables that fold up on the back rack for impromptu beer-pong, and every scooter comes with a free admission letter to ASU (because if anyone can stagger drunk into ASU and enroll with three brain cells, it would be a cheap feature to add!)

That's all I got :|
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Do I want any of them...no. Do I think it's fun that Genuine does this...yeah!

Well....maybe I would take Lance's fireball with sidecar!

And for the old timers let's not forget when the international series was a new thing!

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What year is that GB150 from? That is a great looking scooter.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Mac 'n' Cheese edition would have to be a nice orange-ish yellow and a deep, deep blue.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I'll play!

Kansas City Area (Missouri & Kansas tie ins):
- Garmin - (never get lost again)
- BBQ - Authur Bryants or Gates
- 18 & Vine District - Negro League Baseball Museum, Jazz and Blues
- Hallmark Cards
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Boeing's corporate headquarters is in Chicago, but they still represent Seattle.

On that note, we can go obvious:
Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon.com, Nintendo, REI, Hendrix, Space Needle

There's too many local flair to go into, but we can have Sir Mix-a-lot's Baby Got Back Buddy. (though it is the theme of my mp3)
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

How bout a Dos XX's special edition Buddy? It could have The Most Interesting Man in the World's face emblazened on the front and when you hit the Stebel horn, he would say, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos XX's." Followed by the actual horn.

And it wouldn't be 50cc. Would be 171.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:What year is that GB150 from? That is a great looking scooter.
2004. This is the scooter I wanted when I was trying to decide what to buy back then!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here's some scrawl about the Lemonhead Buddy including some decent factory pics http://exm.nr/NkQ38b

Yeah, it has the grab bar!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rippinyarn wrote:Here's some scrawl about the Lemonhead Buddy including some decent factory pics http://exm.nr/NkQ38b

It actually looks better than I thought at first, even. I kind of like it more now.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:Here's some scrawl about the Lemonhead Buddy including some decent factory pics http://exm.nr/NkQ38b

It actually looks better than I thought at first, even. I kind of like it more now.
That first photoslop image definitely hasn't done the scooter's image any favors. I am very relieved to see it looks better in real life, the wheels are a matching yellow not gold, and there is indeed a grab bar and it is a nice matching white. Much better. With out a doubt that initial image needs to be destroyed and forgotten.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
kitty

Post by kitty »

Yeah, much better. Still not sure how I feel about the yellow seat, and still don't like the abundance of stickers/badges, but neither of those are hard to remedy. I do however really love the little face on the gauge. That for me would have been enough, it's so cute.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I also like the idea of a Willy Wonka Buddy.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think a Weebles Buddy would be good luck. They don't fall down.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've just never liked the look of white vehicles.

Probably from being subjected by my little sister to the horrible animation on Speed Racer as a kid. (The TV was on; I had to watch it.)

The only cool consumer brands associated with Grand Rapids are beers. Founders Buddy? Schmohz Blur? Stella Vivant? (Brewery Vivant specializes in Belgian-style brews... geddit?)

Or Amway. :|
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Founder would be very cool, a Founders Black party edition
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Demo_Nic wrote:I also like the idea of a Willy Wonka Buddy.
Hehe - that's my company, well, at least our sister Confection division. :)

Heeeeyyyy - maybe I should talk to our marketing guys here and see if they'll buy me a Stella and wrap it in some company logos? They've done this with some cars....... :D :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:Probably from being subjected by my little sister to the horrible animation on Speed Racer as a kid. (The TV was on; I had to watch it.)
:shock:

The Mach 5 is an awesome machine. It jumps, has saws that come out the front, smoke screens, a small UAV in the hood, plenty of trunk space for rotund child and chimpanzee.

Of course, I was one of maybe 10 people who really liked the live action movie, too. I will still defend that movie.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:The Mach 5 is an awesome machine. It jumps, has saws that come out the front, smoke screens, a small UAV in the hood, plenty of trunk space for rotund child and chimpanzee.
That's not a feature. :P A pox on the inclusion of small children and animals for comic relief.

And you have to admit that from a production standpoint, the animation on Mach Go Go Go was... unimpressive, and the dubbing into English... dire.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, but everybody will want a GRX motor in their Buddy Mach 5 rather than the lowly 50cc LemonHead motor.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

woah :shock:

i thought this thread was about the candy scooterworks sends out with orders. but as i saw the posting numbers climb i thought "what's all the fuss" and clicked

and now that i see what the fuss is about i have got to say....i hope the 200 people who buy this really like it. but imo it's somewhat garish

i do not like, i do not want
Riding is riding
viney266

Post by viney266 »

TVB wrote:I've just never liked the look of white vehicles.

Probably from being subjected by my little sister to the horrible animation on Speed Racer as a kid. (The TV was on; I had to watch it.)

The only cool consumer brands associated with Grand Rapids are beers. Founders Buddy? Schmohz Blur? Stella Vivant? (Brewery Vivant specializes in Belgian-style brews... geddit?)

Or Amway. :|
^^^^ are you saying you don't like Spped Racer??? Sorry, we can no longer be friends...LOL

I loved that stupid show when I was six.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

PeteH wrote:Yeah, but everybody will want a GRX motor in their Buddy Mach 5 rather than the lowly 50cc LemonHead motor.
But Pops smashed the windshield!

I still say I can handle it, just spray me in the face!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

viney266 wrote:^^^^ are you saying you don't like Spped Racer??? Sorry, we can no longer be friends...LOL
I loved that stupid show when I was six.
I'm happy for you. When I first saw it, I was not six. :)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

lots more photos here if it hasn't been posted already

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/genui ... e=49867096
Riding is riding
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

In photo 8, it's difficult to see the "P" in Pucker.
Childish, I know.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i am not fond of the placement of some of its graphics. that pucker on on the front fender, for one
Riding is riding
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I was gone for the weekend. Geez, are we still talkin' about this thing. :roll:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
TVB wrote:Probably from being subjected by my little sister to the horrible animation on Speed Racer as a kid. (The TV was on; I had to watch it.)
:shock:

The Mach 5 is an awesome machine. It jumps, has saws that come out the front, smoke screens, a small UAV in the hood, plenty of trunk space for rotund child and chimpanzee.
THAT EXPLAINS IT
Chim Chim (I can't believe I remember his name) was the original Trunk Monkey!!!!!!!

I use the capucian model for the Buddy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

On topic: it looks much better than the first photoshopped pic. Not a styling statement I'd make on a bike I owned, but then again, I'm not their target demographic. Quite nifty, and I expect them to sell.

On side-topic: Speed Racer was the fantasies of every 5-year-old boy playing with toy cars in his sandbox, made into anime. On that level, it's terrific. Evaluating it as cinema is missing the point.
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

I like it, it's odd and quirky. I like that Genuine does it because, well, they can. I would like to see more crazy special editions!
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

anthony wrote:just my opinion, I know, but that is truly AWFUL looking.
I agree...
The "Children" will love it that are not old enough to ride one.
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:All in all I think this just spoils what was a beautiful white Buddy. Shoddy photoshop work aside, a yellow seat with some randomly slapped on stickers absent an overarching design concept to hold the idea together is just poor execution and serves neither the Genuine or the Lemonhead brand. This looks like the thought came up at lunch and was slapped together by 1:15. If you are going to co-brand a scooter, at least think it though. Why not make a wrap for the scooter? That way you can have 100% graphic control of every inch of the scooter and perhaps make something truly memorable to benefit both Genuine and Lemonhead. Even if a wrap is not the solution, at least design something attractive. As it stands, this hurts Genuine more than it does Lemonhead because nobody expects anything from Lemonhead. Whereas Genuine has a level of quality, taste, and professionalism it needs to continue establishing. This doesn't help.
:+!:

I wanted to wait at least a full week before posting in this thread - to see if my feelings on this model would improve after my initial reaction. They haven't. Echoing many people in this thread, "do not like."
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Saw a lemonhead up close and personal today... I actually like the idea. I didn't like the looks of it at first, but it's quite sharp in person. What needs to happen, is they need to make a limited edition 170 all blacked out in flat with some limited edition fender guards. Perhaps a nice hint of blue glow somehow. Now that would be nice.
NeoGenesisMax

They sell replacement parts right?

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

Where do I order those gold wheels or for that matter the red or black ones
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ah so they sold one!
Riding is riding
spr0k3t

Re: They sell replacement parts right?

Post by spr0k3t »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:Where do I order those gold wheels or for that matter the red or black ones
The best way is to mask and paint it yourself. If you don't feel like your skills are up to par, you could order one from scooterworld in overland park or just drop me a pm and I can help.
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

spr0k3t wrote:
NeoGenesisMax wrote:Where do I order those gold wheels or for that matter the red or black ones
The best way is to mask and paint it yourself. If you don't feel like your skills are up to par, you could order one from scooterworld in overland park or just drop me a pm and I can help.
Ha ha that's where I bought it. I don't want to pay their mark up and would rather cut out the middle man you know. But it was more of a curiosity anyway. Don't know how it would look on my scooter.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:
spr0k3t wrote:
Ha ha that's where I bought it. I don't want to pay their mark up and would rather cut out the middle man you know. But it was more of a curiosity anyway. Don't know how it would look on my scooter.
Their markup is not nearly as high as you might think. In the modding I've done, some of the parts they were able to get ended up being cheaper than what was available online. Where some parts listed cheapest at one site or another, they saved me overall 5%. Where they make their money is not from parts... it's from the service they do. I've often wondered how Mike stays in business sometimes... then I realize there are a lot of china bikes they end up servicing, that alone is a 30% markup on the hourly rate for research. They do earn a small margin of profit from new sales.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

As an aside, the Mach 5 look can work on a scooter:

Story here -> http://226vintage.com/team.php?ride_id=6&risc_id=6
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ completely awesome
Riding is riding
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

How long do you think the 'P' in Pucker Power will last before it gets modded/vandalized?

I'm thinking about how Puckman became Pacman.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
NeoGenesisMax

I learned something funny

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

According to the sales man at my local dealer the Leamonhead is a huge flop. He said that all 200 of them were still unsold. Ha Ha it would appear that people willing to spend money on a new scooter think theses are bad as well. He told me that the man responsible for designing them was reprimanded in some way. He also said that genuine just gave them three or four and told them to do what they could to sell them. They took all the decals off of them hoping to sell them. On a side note I did like the blue Buddy 50 badge on the front.
z20k

Post by z20k »

My local dealer has one.. everyone seems to hate it.

50cc and ugly as hell? Yeah..
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
NeoGenesisMax

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

spr0k3t wrote:
NeoGenesisMax wrote:
spr0k3t wrote: The best way is to mask and paint it yourself. If you don't feel like your skills are up to par, you could order one from scooterworld in overland park or just drop me a pm and I can help.
Their markup is not nearly as high as you might think. In the modding I've done, some of the parts they were able to get ended up being cheaper than what was available online. Where some parts listed cheapest at one site or another, they saved me overall 5%. Where they make their money is not from parts... it's from the service they do. I've often wondered how Mike stays in business sometimes... then I realize there are a lot of china bikes they end up servicing, that alone is a 30% markup on the hourly rate for research. They do earn a small margin of profit from new sales.

Ha ha ha look at all the little boxes..... I talked to Scooter World. They can order the Silver, Black, Red, Off Red, Green, Gold, and Blue Buddy wheels. I didn't think to ask for the price though.