LemonHead Buddies!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

black sunshine

LemonHead Buddies!

Post by black sunshine »

for those of you that might not be on the Genuine mailing list:

http://www.genuinescooters.com/lemonhead.html

looks SWEET (no pun intended) (okay totally pun intended), but i wish they came in sizes above 50cc . . . :-p
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I'm wondering if it gets caught in the rain if will you get sweet lemonade?
Roscoe

Lemonhead

Post by Roscoe »

I would love to have one of these but with it only being 50cc it is just not practical! Why don't they do fun ones like this in 170i's?
nickcornaglia

Post by nickcornaglia »

Had to do a double-take when reading the front fender!
MGM

Post by MGM »

I'm wondering where the tires are from. They're not Primas and look a lot like the discontinued Maxxis. Maybe it's just an old pic that's been Photoshopped.
MGM

Post by MGM »

Just went on the website and it aooears the full on shot is a photoshop. If you look at the seperate closeup shot of the wheel, the caliper is yellow and the tires are either Continentals or Shinko clones. I heard Shinko is going to make those in tubeless, so that's probably what they are. In any event, it's an interesting look.
anthony

Post by anthony »

just my opinion, I know, but that is truly AWFUL looking.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I wonder if Ferrara Pan is an investor in Genuine. This is the 2nd themed bike for them.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Yeah thats very photoshopped, but the idea gets across.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

You know, it's so obnoxious that I like it!

a 50cc though is still pretty useless to me. At least it gives me some time to sock money away :P.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:I wonder if Ferrara Pan is an investor in Genuine. This is the 2nd themed bike for them.
What did they do before this one?
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

anthony wrote:just my opinion, I know, but that is truly AWFUL looking.
Agreed! :shock:

Also, should any vehicle use the word "lemon" in its name? I don"t think so.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I don't like it either.

regarding Maxxis tires: I noticed a couple of new-ish Buddies at Sportique recently that had Maxxis tires. somewhere, someone has a supply of those suckers!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

even though they're not produced right now, there's prolly warehouses full. Maxxis is/was a really big manufacturer.
chas

Post by chas »

nickcornaglia wrote:Had to do a double-take when reading the front fender!
Hahaha me too.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

gr8dog wrote:

Yeah. I was wondering that. I thought the poor Taiwanese/Korean translations of some scooters to English were bad...

And, it's hideous. And slow. C'mon Genuine, you can do better than this
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
nickcornaglia

Post by nickcornaglia »

I'm already looking forward to the day when they introduce models with different looks instead of mix and match color schemes.
MGM

Post by MGM »

I suspect this is a very cost effective way to have a 'new" model. And, given the details, a 50 cc is not a bad choice for that particular one. It generates some "buzz" (apparently positive and negative) but all buzz is ultimatly good buzz.

I bought a new scooter only because I thought the Black Jack was so cool. When it came out no one talked about "limited addition." I just wanted something a little different than the red,orange turquoise etc Buddy. So ... will they sell 200 of them. I wouldn't bet against it.
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

50 cc? Hell yeah, who wants to push a lemon over 40?
kitty

Post by kitty »

neotrotsky wrote:Yeah. I was wondering that. I thought the poor Taiwanese/Korean translations of some scooters to English were bad...
Kymco Like? Reminds me of the silly store names in California, the Little Saigon section of Garden Grove particularly. My favorite was OK Water. Although not as amusing as Pho My Mann.
neotrotsky wrote:And, it's hideous. And slow. C'mon Genuine, you can do better than this
This thing is about as godawful as a scooter can be :shock: I think a yellow scooter, with one or two nods to LemonHeads, would have been cute. The yellow seat with logos all over is just too much.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't mind it. But it has too many stickers cluttering it up.
TVB

Post by TVB »

When I heard the rumor of a Lemonhead Buddy 50, I imagined one with yellow panels, and I was... interested. A white scooter with a yellow seat... not so much.

As for all the "not enough power" comments... there's more to scooting than power. For some people, "slower" is a feature. :P

Maybe with Honda deciding to go with the more boringest trim for the latest Metropolitans there's an opening for Buddy 50s with fun designs. This isn't the design I was hoping for, but it's got spunk.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

ditto, hard to believe anyone signed off on this one..
Witch

Post by Witch »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:I wonder if Ferrara Pan is an investor in Genuine. This is the 2nd themed bike for them.
I was just thinking... If you have an Atomic Fireball Stella, and then you get this Lemonhead Buddy... what's next? I mean, you can't have a real collection of something without at least three, right? 8)

Perhaps a Boston Baked Blur or a Red Hot Roughhouse?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Witch wrote:
I was just thinking... If you have an Atomic Fireball Stella, and then you get this Lemonhead Buddy... what's next? I mean, you can't have a real collection of something without at least three, right? 8)

Perhaps a Boston Baked Blur or a Red Hot Roughhouse?
The Atomic Fireball was 70's kitchy. It was OK. Not my thing, but I knew someone who had one and it looks allright. They kept it simple and it worked. This "Lemonhead"? Garbage. Sorry, but I'm totally NOT for it. Genuine doesn't have too many lemons, but boy is this one on many levels.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I want a cherryhead 170i ...I'd be all over that.

I do like the rear grab rail delete. I always thought that made for a clean look. Yeah, I like a rear rack for practical use, but they look great clean in the back like that.

I read somewhere that they are in close proximity to each other. I believe the candy company is right down the block...or something like that.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Witch

Post by Witch »

I'm all for themed two-wheelers (I have a themed bicycle, myself). But there's a fine line when it comes to the matter of it being done tastefully. I agree that the Lemonhead Buddy leaves something to be desired. Perhaps a lot of something. At the very least they could have bothered to take a picture of the real thing for their main photo instead of Photoshopping it.

I just figured if they're already doing a second candy themed bike, there's no reason to think they won't do a third someday. I'm surprized they haven't done any other special editions of the Stella. The Fireball and the GB were very well done. Simple, but well done. There's so many easy things you could do to the blank and lovely canvas of a Stella (seat, paint job, decals, etc). Or perhaps they do realize that, and just prefer to let the customers do it instead.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yeah, always loved the GB Stella!...hope to trip over one one day at the right price.
kitty

Post by kitty »

The GB is gorgeous, perfectly classy, not overly tarted up special edition-y, just right. Coming from someone who absolutely hates dark green mind you.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

PEZ Buddy. Batman PEZ Buddy. Vintage 1960s Batman Pez Buddy.
But please... No Neco Wafers Buddy :P
96 Decibel Freaks
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Batman riding a unicorn under a rainbow buddy?
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

I'd want Ferrara Pan (makers of Lemonheads) to buy the scooter for me. If you are advertising for them, you should be compensated.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:PEZ Buddy. Batman PEZ Buddy. Vintage 1960s Batman Pez Buddy.
But please... No Neco Wafers Buddy :P
The PEZ factory is actually near me in West Haven, there's signs on the highway for the visitor center. Also if you drive by it on days they're making them you can smell them.

I'm not sure if there's a particular candy I'd want on my scooter. The Atomic Fireball one was cool because it had taller gears and some other goodies, like the glovebox tray. It gave you stuff beyond just a color theme and stickers, anyone can do that.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I think that it's just for fun. You remember fun, right? And if you really don't like it (I'm on the fence myself), please don't buy one. There are certainly 200 people who will either buy it and ride it ironically or just want something different, and well, fun. I want to see one in person (or some decent photos), before I pass my final (and meaningless) opinion.

If you think that 50cc isn't enough for fun, you're either not riding it right or you don't understand scootertuning. It ain't a crime!

Besides, if it comes with that sweet lunchbox... :D
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Speaking as someone whose dear bride ordered him a 25-lb box of Atomic Fireballs direct from Ferrara Pan one Valentine's Day, let me just say that I would drool red stuff if an AF Stella popped up for sale near me.

A local guy has a GB which is very nice-looking in-person as well, and the Psycho seems well-received. So I think Genuine is batting .750 on the special editions. Had they done the Lemonhead body in that hey-over-here yellow with white/blue accents, maybe a blue seat, then possibly. As it is, I'm not overly-thrilled with the color choices. And yeah, it should have been a 170i. Ooooh, maybe a Fireball II 170i?????
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I like the idea of a Red Hot Rattler
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rippinyarn wrote:There are certainly 200 people who will either buy it and ride it ironically or just want something different, and well, fun.
Agree. Fun is in the eye (and head) of the rider. On the other hand, that will also be 200 people that struggle to get their scoot onto the centerstand because there is nothing at the back of the bike to grab :wink: .
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Dooglas wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:There are certainly 200 people who will either buy it and ride it ironically or just want something different, and well, fun.
Agree. Fun is in the eye (and head) of the rider. On the other hand, that will also be 200 people that struggle to get their scoot onto the centerstand because there is nothing at the back of the bike to grab :wink: .
Well I be damned, it never occurred to me to do that.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Dooglas wrote:
I'm gonna bet that is just a photoshop goof. There's got to be something there other than holes, right?

EDIT: yup, it is just bad PhotoshoppingImage
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

All in all I think this just spoils what was a beautiful white Buddy. Shoddy photoshop work aside, a yellow seat with some randomly slapped on stickers absent an overarching design concept to hold the idea together is just poor execution and serves neither the Genuine or the Lemonhead brand. This looks like the thought came up at lunch and was slapped together by 1:15. If you are going to co-brand a scooter, at least think it though. Why not make a wrap for the scooter? That way you can have 100% graphic control of every inch of the scooter and perhaps make something truly memorable to benefit both Genuine and Lemonhead. Even if a wrap is not the solution, at least design something attractive. As it stands, this hurts Genuine more than it does Lemonhead because nobody expects anything from Lemonhead. Whereas Genuine has a level of quality, taste, and professionalism it needs to continue establishing. This doesn't help.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Nope. The company's HQ is close to Genuine/Scooterworks Chicago and they're friends (as much as companies can be "friends," I guess). That's why you get Ferrara Pan candies in all your Scooterworks USA orders.

At a limited run of 200, this is by no means intended to be a "new model." This has been rumored for a long time now. Unlike most other companies, Genuine does stuff like this simply because they think it's cool and will be fun. Not everyone likes it or agrees. I've seen de-Atomic-ed Fireballs (with flames removed) and many Psychos have been de-badged. That's all kind of besides the point. It's dorky, kind of funny, just for kicks. They'll sell 200 of them. Believe it or not, Buddy 50s are HOT sellers in some markets these days. I saw more in a couple days in Chicago than I have in years in LA.

I love the wheels!

I only wish it also had the "Don't Do Drugs" message that's in the flap of all the Lemonheads boxes. That always cracks me up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Agreed, its FUN. I hope to see one. Like I said, do a cherryhead 170i and I'll BUY IT!. I was having some cherryheads today in fact.!
kitty

Post by kitty »

ericalm wrote:Believe it or not, Buddy 50s are HOT sellers in some markets these days. I saw more in a couple days in Chicago than I have in years in LA.

50cc scooters of all varieties are BIG here, because we're just outside NYC and a lot of people commute on the train. Parking at the train station is expensive (more than $6 a day) and also there was a waiting list because it was so limited before the second station opened last year. My mother commutes on the train and she said the amount of scooters parked at the station is unreal. They're all 50cc so they can park them with the bikes and don't have the pay.
ericalm wrote:I only wish it also had the "Don't Do Drugs" message that's in the flap of all the Lemonheads boxes. That always cracks me up.
Now that's an idea! :lol:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We have a billion 50's here (and a ton of de-badged 125+). We also have a big hipster crowd here, as well as 4 genuine dealers, so I expect to see a lemonhead in the wild soon enough!
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

gr8dog wrote:

Hey... Whats wrong with the word Lemon in the name? I could always claim it to be a personalized edition :)

Shame about the engine size, My wife is now in the market for a scoot to join me on little jaunts, but 50cc will not cut it on the roads we need to travel. 125, 150 or 170 would have almost got a sale from me, i would love to have that scoot, i could have purchased that one and she would have had mine. She was interested in the Mocha(which i have) or the pink. You be damned if im driving a pink one lol
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

neotrotsky wrote:
gr8dog wrote:

Yeah. I was wondering that. I thought the poor Taiwanese/Korean translations of some scooters to English were bad...

And, it's hideous. And slow. C'mon Genuine, you can do better than this
absolutely agreed. I actually haven't been on in awhile and figured I'd stop by just to see what the buzz was about this scoot. I think I'll wait for my 300cc retro unicorn :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Other Chicago area companies Genuine could do special editions with....

Walgreens Big Flats Beer Roughhouse (in case you didnt know... Walgreens has its own brand of beer - "Big Flats")
Edit: maybe "beer" should have been in quotes

Sears Craftsman Edition Stella (with a full set of tools)

Kraft Mac & Cheese Edition Buddy (in yellow)
Or a brown & cream two tone Stella - the Oreo edition (Kraft makes those) actually this might look good

McDonalds Hamburglar edition Buddy in black & white (thats Hamburglar not not hamburger)

Sara Lee Honey Ham edition Stella with special ham smelling 2T exhaust - what color is ham? Pink-ish?

Baxter Labs Buminate Albumin Plasma Buddy in blood red

Caterpillar & John Deere are both close-ish to Chicago - I could see a special edition Rattler for either of them.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

What about Wrigley's? They're from Chicago.
kitty

Post by kitty »

ScootLemont wrote:Other Chicago area companies Genuine could do special editions with....

Walgreens Big Flats Beer Roughhouse (in case you didnt know... Walgreens has its own brand of beer - "Big Flats")
Edit: maybe "beer" should have been in quotes

Sears Craftsman Edition Stella (with a full set of tools)

Kraft Mac & Cheese Edition Buddy (in yellow)
Or a brown & cream two tone Stella - the Oreo edition (Kraft makes those) actually this might look good

McDonalds Hamburglar edition Buddy in black & white (thats Hamburglar not not hamburger)

Sara Lee Honey Ham edition Stella with special ham smelling 2T exhaust - what color is ham? Pink-ish?

Baxter Labs Buminate Albumin Plasma Buddy in blood red

Caterpillar & John Deere are both close-ish to Chicago - I could see a special edition Rattler for either of them.
I think I'd take any of these over the LemonHead, but the Kraft Mac & Cheese one totally wins!