170i color suggestions for a guy...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SoonerRick

170i color suggestions for a guy...

Post by SoonerRick »

Any suggestion for a guy getting a new 170i? I think most color schemes are unisex, but he was wanting a second opinion LOL. I like the Italia or the Pamplona but just seeing what folks on here think of a "manly" color. Thank you guys in advance.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

The Pamplona and Italia are only sold as 50cc anymore.

Thats said, the silver 170i is the only one that I care for, but not cause it's "manly", since after all we're talking about scooters and most people don't equate the two anyway (scooters and manliness)

Get the color that pleases you and don't worry about whether others consider it manly or not.

There's always the 125cc Psycho...the "edgiest" Buddy of them all.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I know a guy who just got the Oxford green. I think that dark green is a perfectly appropriate masculine color.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

mattgordon wrote:The Pamplona and Italia are only sold as 50cc anymore.
http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html

The 170i comes in five flavors now...including Pamplona and Italia :)

I almost bought a 170... picking a color was tough. My SO liked the Mocha one. I liked Oxford Green, but the brown (especially the grips) didn't sit right with me.

edit: responding to Skully below, he's right: it's not on the website, but it's all 6. I saw the St. Tropez 170i in person last month at the dealer too.
Last edited by Edwub on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Actually, I've seen all 3 international colors at the local dealers, and the 3 'original' 170i colors.

The Oxford and Silver are my favorites. I had planned to get the oxford green one but the dealer had my Italia in stock at the time for a discount.

Really any other guy is going to tend to mock you until they hear the words "90MPG" and "65+ mph". A good friend of mine who occasionally visits here called it 'gay at the speed of light', but now drives an '06 orange one :P.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

maybe a lemonhead... with matching chaps :rofl:
Last edited by hardd1 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I have a cream color Buddy... I'm very confident~
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Manly? In this day and age, with all the 80's fashion colors becoming popular again who knows... I say get what color you like and tell the others to @!#$ off and worry bout yourself not the color of my scoot...
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Edwub wrote:
mattgordon wrote:The Pamplona and Italia are only sold as 50cc anymore.
http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html

The 170i comes in five flavors now...including Pamplona and Italia :)

I almost bought a 170... picking a color was tough. My SO liked the Mocha one. I liked Oxford Green, but the brown (especially the grips) didn't sit right with me.

edit: responding to Skully below, he's right: it's not on the website, but it's all 6. I saw the St. Tropez 170i in person last month at the dealer too.
I stand corrected.

Our shop's Genuine Rep. has not apprised us of that new offering.

Glad to hear about it on MB!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think the silver, green, and italia colors are all sufficiently masculine. The italia less so, but still acceptable.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

the Italia is pretty neutral, like the Orange and White.

That hot, 80's pink though....not so much :P
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Call it "oxford green" all you like. BUT, British Racing Green with racing stripes...DAYUM, give me a Marlboro and hang out with Steve Mcqueen and talk about Italian women over a scotch.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

"Manly" is not giving a $#&% what people think of your vehicle. 8)
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Slap a Coors Light label on the Silver Zephyr and you are all set.

That being said, I have Pamplona and I love it, in a completely manly retro way.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's only so much you can to to make a scooter more butch. Pick a color you like, don't worry about others, and ride with confidence and loads of attitude.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pinthea

Post by pinthea »

A guy here.

Love my 170i Pamplona. I would have gotten the retro light green for its cool classic vibe had it been in stock. BRG was also not in stock, loved the look of it when I saw one. I had a silver scooter previously (Burgman 400) so I've been there, done that. I think the mocha is the least of the manly man colors.

In order of manliness, I perceive:

Silver
BRG
every color but mocha
mocha

Then again, I drive a Fiat 500c in flaming red with red leather interior. So what do I know about being manly, other than not giving a flip what people think about my ride. =)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Scalpel wrote:"Manly" is not giving a $#&% what people think of your vehicle. 8)
I have ridden a friends pink buddy 125 on numerous occasions. AGREED!...nothin' says man like confidence ;)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Rob

Re: 170i color suggestions for a guy...

Post by Rob »

SoonerRick wrote:Any suggestion for a guy getting a new 170i? I think most color schemes are unisex, but he was wanting a second opinion LOL. I like the Italia or the Pamplona but just seeing what folks on here think of a "manly" color. Thank you guys in advance.
Does it come in mauve?

I still have no idea what color, or shade of a primary color (the only colors I genreally acknowledge), that mauve is, but my wife seems mention that frequently. So, it's likely low on the "manly scale". :D

I like the silver (and I know, that's not a primary).

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

Scalpel wrote:"Manly" is not giving a $#&% what people think of your vehicle. 8)

this
TVB

Re: 170i color suggestions for a guy...

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:Does it come in mauve?

I still have no idea what color, or shade of a primary color (the only colors I genreally acknowledge), that mauve is, but my wife seems mention that frequently. So, it's likely low on the "manly scale". :D
Think "pale purple" and you'll be close enough.

IMHO, the best color for a guy is whatever color a guy likes to look at.

A century or so ago, blue was considered a "feminine" color (from so many generations of being associated with the Virgin Mary), and pink was "masculine" (from being so bold and vibrant). Colors mean what we use them to mean.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

viney266 wrote:Call it "oxford green" all you like. BUT, British Racing Green with racing stripes...DAYUM, give me a Marlboro and hang out with Steve Mcqueen and talk about Italian women over a scotch.
And, Steve McQueen would rock the hell out of this scooter. Why? Because it's one of the fastest 125cc in the US (or thereabouts) and it just begs to be modded more. And if that's not manly, who cares about the rest of it.

I personally think the Chuck Norris meme needs to be replaced with Steve McQueen. More action, smoother, more intelligent and yes... he can ride. That and I get real tired of Chuck Norris.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

mattgordon wrote:...after all we're talking about scooters and most people don't equate the two anyway (scooters and manliness)....
What is this? There is nothing more manly than my scooter, especially when my sexy wife is holding on to me from behind!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

ericalm wrote:There's only so much you can to to make a scooter more butch. Pick a color you like, don't worry about others, and ride with confidence and loads of attitude.
i like it...."loads of attitude"
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

I love the Oxford. But I am a big Irish/Scottish/English buff so it fits.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Green or Silver IMO.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Kinda wondering what it would look like zebra. But with fast colors, would definitively have to be two tone.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
amy

Post by amy »

*Like*
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Honesty, if you're concerned about "looking manly" then you don't really want a scooter, or at least being seen on one.

Maybe you could just hang a set of testicles from it like the morons with big trucks do.......
http://www.thatsnutz.com/truck-nuts-c-65.html
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

KABarash wrote:
Maybe you could just hang a set of testicles from it like the morons with big trucks do.......
http://www.thatsnutz.com/truck-nuts-c-65.html
Yeah, those things are absolutely disgusting.
What's next, artificial labias underneath a Volvo? (a vulva for your Volvo?)

I have to admit, though. I have seen two cases of truck testes that struck me as funny.
One dude had these two massive hex nuts hanging from a loop of really heavy duty chain underneath his truck. I mean, these things were massive; like the ones you see holding street lights to the concrete bases in parking lots. I thought that was pretty clever as they were more appropriate body parts for a truck than human correlates.

The other was maybe even cooler. The guy had two pistons on piston arms welded at about a 45 degree angle hanging from a chunk of chain.

And yeah, try not to worry how masculine or not you end up looking. That's been the great thing about scooter riders compared to a lot of other riders. They/we generally don't give a crap about what other people think of what we ride or how we look. It's not about them.
My suggestion on the silver and green colors is just my two favorites in the 170 series.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Tocsik wrote: And yeah, try not to worry how masculine or not you end up looking. That's been the great thing about scooter riders compared to a lot of other riders. They/we generally don't give a crap about what other people think of what we ride or how we look. It's not about them.
My point exactly....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Tocsik wrote:Yeah, those things are absolutely disgusting...

I have to admit, though. I have seen two cases of truck testes that struck me as funny.
The best one I ever saw was on a truck without a trailer hitch... that's what we call a hermaphrodite truck.
talindsay

Post by talindsay »

I would say any guy who's worried about whether the color of his scooter is manly enough probably shouldn't get a scooter - because he's insecure enough that all the jeers and heckling he'll get from the "loud pipes save lives" crowd will get to him. Honestly, I'd ride a pink Stella to work and not expect any different reactions - the people who laugh at scooters will laugh regardless, and the people who laugh at a man on a pink scooter aren't likely to hold it back just because it's black. There's no such thing as a "badass" scooter to most people.

That said, he could just buy whichever color is cheapest and rattle-can it flat black - then it will look ratted out, and that's about as badass as a scooter gets.
2012 Creme Stella (4T)
2005 Mint Green Stella - 166cc, mazz race crank, boyeson reeds, 24/24e, Sito+
2005 Triumph Bonneville -*- 2008 Trek 1.5 -*- 2012 Fiat 500 Sport -*- 2010 Mazda 5 Sport
1976 Caucasian Legs good for 10 MPH
TVB

Post by TVB »

talindsay wrote:I would say any guy who's worried about whether the color of his scooter is manly enough probably shouldn't get a scooter...
Nah, he should get a scooter and stop worrying about it. Some of us just need the opportunity to grow. :)
Guamanianpie

colors for any bike

Post by Guamanianpie »

Okay, this comes from an older chick with some color experience. I bet most male riders would feel comfortable in silver, almost any other color especially if neutral. That being said, I would give an exception: "no pink." My boyfriend looks good wearing pink shirts and complementary ties but I don't think I'd ever get him on a pink moped or motorcycle (he didn't like the flowery cover on my car's steering wheel). But as others say, that guy should do whatever appeals to him and what would make him feel comfortable. Nuts to what others say and think: whoever pays for the scooter should be able to choose their favorite color.
Rob

Post by Rob »

talindsay wrote:There's no such thing as a "badass" scooter to most people.
These wouldn't qualify? :D

All from http://gokartsusa.com/little-badass-min ... cycle.aspx

Unfortunately/Fortunately none of these are street legal, but I always appreciate creative efforts such as these.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

While they might be considered "bad-ass", they are not "scooters" in the sense we're talking about. :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:While they might be considered "bad-ass", they are not "scooters" in the sense we're talking about. :)
Yeah I know. But that just came to mind after the "bass ass" comment.

Although, way back when, someone on MB did an Evil Knieval customization of a Buddy. There are pics posted somewhere ... I'm just too lazy to go do that search right now.

I guess with enough creativity (and money) you can accomplish just about anything ... even making a scooter look bass ass. :D

Rob
- Steven Wright
Grant H

Post by Grant H »

I have been rocking the Italia colors on my new 170i.