Hello From a Scooter Newbie

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TomCat

Hello From a Scooter Newbie

Post by TomCat »

Hi All,
New to scootering & this looks like a great place to hang out.
I'm not a kid (far from it) and am looking forward to someday becoming a part of the community by contributing something useful.
Tom
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
skully93

Post by skully93 »

welcome!

This is a blast of a community.

How long have you had the Roughhouse? any other 2 wheelers in your life?
theflash784

Hello

Post by theflash784 »

Greetings from another Michigander! Glad to have you on board.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Hi!!! Welcome! You will love it here and there are lots of us who are non-kids. Got my first scooter as a 50th birthday pressie to me... And five months later I got my second scooter which is pretty much replacing my car except for when I need to give someone a ride or haul something that isn't scooter friendly. You'll soon be hooked like the rest of us here. (and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!) :)
96 Decibel Freaks
TVB

Re: Hello

Post by TVB »

theflash784 wrote:Greetings from another Michigander! Glad to have you on board.
Great Lakes.
Great Scootin'.

(That will become the state motto when I am elected monarch of Michigan.)
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

skully 93---------picked it up 2 days ago. Other 2 wheeler in my life is a beach cruiser bike.
This is my first experience with anything on 2 wheels that has a motor :)

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Welcome!!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

welcome,got my first scoot at about 40,never to old to start.be careful,dont be afraid to use the horn and you will be fine.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Hooray another RH50 :D owner. Water and a long ride for all. Is the '13 still with the non adjustable idle jet or did they finally do away with them?
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

My RH50 2013 has an adjustable idle jet... of course that part is coming off soon for the 21mm I have planned for it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Welcome....

NEVER too old to have fun though!
I bought my buddy 3 years ago as a 49th B-day present to myself, at first as just something to have 'fun' on on the weekends. The next thing I knew I had put almost 6000 miles on it that first summer. Now I have almost 15000 miles, didn't use it too much summer of '11 (too damned hot) I commute 50 miles daily on it......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

I might have all of ya beat as far as the "losing scooter virginity" age, I'm 67.
Was pretty active until all hell broke loose over a year ago, had to use a walker. Old sports injuries caught up with me. Ended up having spinal fusion surgery last October & a total hip replacement this April. Now I can walk normal, ride a bike, workout etc.
It's a second chance at living life & I'm gonna take full advantage of it.
First item on bucket list: the RH50.

Maybe the following should be a separate thread, but will ask it here seeing as several Michigan folks have posted in this thread:
Who do you have your insurance through, what sort of coverage, and how much is it? I contacted Allstate (have my Auto & Homeowners with them) & was quoted $285 yr (if paid monthly $25.30 mo) with $100 deductible.
Seems kinda high to me even though I'd only be insuring the scoot for 6 months or so per year. Winter she will be stored in garage.
Thanks!
Tom

agrogod

Post by agrogod »

^ In some cases its cheaper to get year round coverage. $75 for the full year and I don't ride in the winter. Shopping around does help and insuring two vehicles through the same company yields discounts.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing