NBR: The Chaos and Grace of a Scooter Ride in Vietnam

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

NBR: The Chaos and Grace of a Scooter Ride in Vietnam

Post by Rob »

A friend passed this short article from the Perceptive Travel site along to me. I found it to be very interesting as well as some of the other related articles linked at the bottom.

I think I really have to start wandering outside of the US borders a little more often.

http://www.perceptivetravel.com/issues/ ... etnam.html

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My brother toured the whole country of Vietnam on a scooter about 10 years ago when he was working there. He had a blast. I haven't been in Vietnam since 1973. I guess I should make a trip back.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I dunno about Veitnam... but a pilgrimage to India has been discussed by a few 20-somethings in our temple and my best friend is trying to prod me to save up to go. Would love to do it on some Bajaj scooters!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

On the scond page, How in gods name did he ever fit THAT many boxes? They are the pros!!
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

neotrotsky wrote:I dunno about Veitnam... but a pilgrimage to India has been discussed by a few 20-somethings in our temple and my best friend is trying to prod me to save up to go. Would love to do it on some Bajaj scooters!
I've been to India and it's cool place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Different but cool....
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

It's pics like that which are STRONGLY tempting me to getting a Symba over the Stella. I *will* still do the project but for a daily driver, 60 million can't be wrong. Especially when they flog their bikes like that and they keep working!

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

My wife and I were in France for a couple weeks this May. Put 1700 miles on a rental car. But saw bazillions of scooters over there. So I'd throw France out as a possible scooter odyssey destination too. Lots of fun winding roads, beautiful countryside, quaint towns. What could be better than scooting along with a baguette under your arm, a glass of rose in one hand and an artisanal goat cheese in the other?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I read an article where there were scooters races late at night in large cities like Hanoi. The cops didn't try to stop them, because they were so massive, but they did shoot randomly into the pack of scooters as they would go by.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Rob

Post by Rob »

rsrider wrote:The cops didn't try to stop them, because they were so massive, but they did shoot randomly into the pack of scooters as they would go by.
:D

Best reason I've heard yet to ride WOT .... not that I need one.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You should definitely check out the Top Gear episode where the hosts ride scooters across Vietnam. Hysterical.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/vietnam-pt-1

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

GrittyTacoman wrote:My wife and I were in France for a couple weeks this May. Put 1700 miles on a rental car. But saw bazillions of scooters over there. So I'd throw France out as a possible scooter odyssey destination too. Lots of fun winding roads, beautiful countryside, quaint towns. What could be better than scooting along with a baguette under your arm, a glass of rose in one hand and an artisanal goat cheese in the other?
While France would be awesome and easier to navigate for me... it just doesn't have as much adventure. It's *too* familiar of a culture. Not that it's a bad place. I would LOVE to take a vacation on a scooter-backpacker tour of France! But, I wouldn't mind a bit more

GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

neotrotsky wrote:
GrittyTacoman wrote:My wife and I were in France for a couple weeks this May. Put 1700 miles on a rental car. But saw bazillions of scooters over there. So I'd throw France out as a possible scooter odyssey destination too. Lots of fun winding roads, beautiful countryside, quaint towns. What could be better than scooting along with a baguette under your arm, a glass of rose in one hand and an artisanal goat cheese in the other?
While France would be awesome and easier to navigate for me... it just doesn't have as much adventure. It's *too* familiar of a culture. Not that it's a bad place. I would LOVE to take a vacation on a scooter-backpacker tour of France! But, I wouldn't mind a bit more
:) That's true, France would provide a rich experience but not too much adrenaline unless you tried to ride your scooter in rush-hour Paris, or insulted Jerry Lewis.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:You should definitely check out the Top Gear episode where the hosts ride scooters across Vietnam. Hysterical.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/vietnam-pt-1
:rofl: Thanks for the link. That was hilarious.

I can't decide if I need an armored smoking jacket, a porcelain ballerina, or a weed bag ... maybe all 3.

Rob
- Steven Wright
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

I would be scared of being robbed of my nice scooter on a tour to a 3rd world country!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com