For fans of smaller motorcycles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

For fans of smaller motorcycles

Post by Southerner »

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/07/ ... ub-single/

A few have been mentioned here, like the 150cc SYM. This one might even get up into the 300+cc range.

It would be nice to see something like this with the Triumph name. And hopefully quality as well.
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

sweet,i love classic styled bikes.really wish honda would bring back some form of the cb line,maybe even the hondamatic.probably never happen in the land of bigger is better but i can dream.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Most excellent. I hope it comes to the US.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yes, please! This is EXACTLY the kind of bike I want to see in the US… even if I never buy one…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Nice! I'd love it in the 300cc range.

I just saw this '64 305cc Honda Dream on CL last night. Never heard of the Dream but it's so pretty! Has pipes like the pea shooters on the Bonnys.
Attachments
Honda Dream
Honda Dream
HondaDream2.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The CA305 Dream is one of my favorite bike designs ever. At least two MB members own them.

I haven't been looking lately but as of a couple years ago you could find them in running condition for less than this. The red and white ones are gorgeous, but I'd take black too!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tocsik wrote:Nice! I'd love it in the 300cc range.

I just saw this '64 305cc Honda Dream on CL last night. Never heard of the Dream but it's so pretty! Has pipes like the pea shooters on the Bonnys.
Don't show that add to siobhan, she'll be on a flight tomorrow!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If it's in India, I can almost be willing to bet it will never see the light of day in the US :( Riders here get kicked in the groin so much by manufacturers in the rest of the world that you'd think we would have permanent nerve damage.

Would I buy one? In a heartbeat!

I miss my old Tiger. It was an awesome bike and if I could pick up a small 250cc-ish one lunger Triumph I would be a happy camper
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I started a thread some time ago ( viewtopic.php?t=22071&highlight= ) to get ideas on which motorcycle to get for occasional touring and narrowed down to either an older Triumph TR6 or the new Triumph Scrambler, but still thought I would like something with a smaller displacement and the Cub just might be the ticket :D . Thanx for the post I hope they do bring it to the U.S.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

I've wanted a small single for a while now. That thing will pair nicely with my Bonneville.

=D
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well it would be a great Idea if it ever gets here. Any else remember how Big The honda 305 was back in the day? I see it still so clearly. R
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

still shifting wrote:Well it would be a great Idea if it ever gets here. Any else remember how Big The honda 305 was back in the day? I see it still so clearly. R
oh, yeah...had a '68...oh, the bench-seat UJMs of yesteryear...
honi soit qui mal y pense
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Syd wrote:
Tocsik wrote:Nice! I'd love it in the 300cc range.

Don't show that add to siobhan, she'll be on a flight tomorrow!
Haha...that's waaaaay too rich for my blood. If you knew what I paid for me ;)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I DO see an interest in smaller bikes that seems to be on the increase. For many, the 250s and smaller are fine but us chunkier types need a bit more oomph. 350 or so seems big enough.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

It's fascinating, the progression from scooters to small motorcycles and now possibly to medium-sized motorcycles and how that progression mirrors the rise of the middle class in industrialized countries, India in this case. Just another case of history repeating, methinks.

Wouldn't it be interesting if our favorite scooter company decided to import a small Indian-made motorcycle. Not starting any rumors here, just musing... :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I like the idea, but I doubt there'd be enough of a market to justify it. For example, there's the Suzuki TU250X - the appeal of a classic with all the modern conveniences, and at a modest price. From what I can see, they're not big sellers at all.

There's always the route of buying an oldie, like that Honda Dream. But you either pay up front for a perfect specimen, or pay later trying to to restore it. As I've experienced with the CB, quality parts can be expensive and hard to find. Additionally, outside of the communities that exist for certain classics, the knowledge base can be really thin. This leads to an enormous amount of confusion when trying to get the correct part for a particular make/model/year.

BTW: The only true "universal" replacement part I've found is the air in the tires.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Older bikes are not the answer for all. Many would rather buy something new and not deal with the restoration difficulties you describe. My Honda is 22 years old and already certain parts can't be found new, and sometimes not at all.

I don't know the numbers but the TU250 has certainly found favor with some. In addition, Suzuki has been making the S40 for a great many years and has been retained in their line when they dropped a great many models.

I think a combination of an attractive price, good quality and a classic name brand COULD do well.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Southerner wrote:Older bikes are not the answer for all. Many would rather buy something new and not deal with the restoration difficulties you describe. My Honda is 22 years old and already certain parts can't be found new, and sometimes not at all.

I don't know the numbers but the TU250 has certainly found favor with some. In addition, Suzuki has been making the S40 for a great many years and has been retained in their line when they dropped a great many models.

I think a combination of an attractive price, good quality and a classic name brand COULD do well.
This is why I like new things that have some retro of vintage styling. Buddy, Triumph, etc ...

Also, I'm a newbie/unwilling mechanic. I just want to ride.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Just passed a gent on a CB-160 (?); schweeet & quiet little putter; looked all-original, gold OEM Honda tanks and decals, new rubber, no smoke. Guy was grinning like a chimp.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Hwarang wrote: This is why I like new things that have some retro of vintage styling. Buddy, Triumph, etc ...

Also, I'm a newbie/unwilling mechanic. I just want to ride.
I'm no newbie but I would much rather ride than wrench. While I fully understand the love of vintage bikes, I don't understand the mindset of those who would reject a reliable bike because they want to have the fun of working on the thing. I note that many vintage buffs have their prize pieces and usually something newer for their daily driver.

But to each his own.

:)
Rob

Post by Rob »

God, I already have too many toys and a very annoyed wife.

Why do you folks have to tempt me so?

Very nice and every time I look at the pic, my will power drops a bit.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

redhandmoto wrote:Just passed a gent on a CB-160 (?); schweeet & quiet little putter; looked all-original, gold OEM Honda tanks and decals, new rubber, no smoke. Guy was grinning like a chimp.
Kid who works in my building has a sweet C175. It's really interesting to see it next to the Sym Wolf 150 someone else here rides.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Part of the issue with vintage v. retro styling is that people don't want to pay $3500-$5000 for a brand new bike when they can pick up the real deal for $300. I know there are several folks on this board that drool over the Sym Wolf, the TU250, etc., but when it comes to cost, it's just too painful when one can pick up a decent daily rider CB350 for $1000. Hell, I paid $3k for my all-original, pristine CB750 and that was a boatload of money to me as part of the fun for me is finding the good deal (and sold it for the same amount). I know I'm not the only one who just can't stomach forking over that much for a cheaper quality "new" bike.

That said, it's my boyfriend who does most of the wrenching because he loves it. I'll go out riding with da boyz and leave him behind in the garage and we're both very happy with that set-up.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

awwww neat little guy :P
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

siobhan wrote:Part of the issue with vintage v. retro styling is that people don't want to pay $3500-$5000 for a brand new bike when they can pick up the real deal for $300. I know there are several folks on this board that drool over the Sym Wolf, the TU250, etc., but when it comes to cost, it's just too painful when one can pick up a decent daily rider CB350 for $1000. Hell, I paid $3k for my all-original, pristine CB750 and that was a boatload of money to me as part of the fun for me is finding the good deal (and sold it for the same amount). I know I'm not the only one who just can't stomach forking over that much for a cheaper quality "new" bike.

That said, it's my boyfriend who does most of the wrenching because he loves it. I'll go out riding with da boyz and leave him behind in the garage and we're both very happy with that set-up.
Sadly, the cafe trend is so strong in LA right now, prices on Hondas have skyrocketed. (Same for some other '60s-'80s UJMs but not as much as the Hondas.) You'd be lucky to get a good, running CB350 for $2500 now. There are shops specializing in Honda cafes that are buying up all the cheap and not-running bikes in the area, putting in new batteries, slapping new bars and seats on them and sending then out the door for $3-6K.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Also, it's a little bit of a "why buy a Stella when you can get a running '70s-'80s P for half the price?" kind of thing. It makes sense to some people for their own reasons—reliability, warranty, etc.

For some reason, the Stella makes more sense to me than, say, a Royal Enfield Bullet or buying a brand new Bonneville. Maybe that's because I'd prefer an R65/R75 or a few other bikes to a new Bonnie? Personal preference, I guess.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:Also, it's a little bit of a "why buy a Stella when you can get a running '70s-'80s P for half the price?" kind of thing. It makes sense to some people for their own reasons—reliability, warranty, etc.

For some reason, the Stella makes more sense to me than, say, a Royal Enfield Bullet or buying a brand new Bonneville. Maybe that's because I'd prefer an R65/R75 or a few other bikes to a new Bonnie? Personal preference, I guess.
That and many riders say the new Bonnies are heavier and slower than the 60's/70's models.

In Phoenix, there are hardly any Japanese bikes that haven't been hacked to shit and "bobbered" or "Cafe'd out". And they are all rattlecaned black and VERY poorly done, with rare parts chucked in the trash bn
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
viney266

Post by viney266 »

ericalm wrote:The CA305 Dream is one of my favorite bike designs ever. At least two MB members own them.

I haven't been looking lately but as of a couple years ago you could find them in running condition for less than this. The red and white ones are gorgeous, but I'd take black too!
Make that three :wink: ...Dream and a 305 superhawk.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote: Sadly, the cafe trend is so strong in LA right now, prices on Hondas have skyrocketed. (Same for some other '60s-'80s UJMs but not as much as the Hondas.) You'd be lucky to get a good, running CB350 for $2500 now. There are shops specializing in Honda cafes that are buying up all the cheap and not-running bikes in the area, putting in new batteries, slapping new bars and seats on them and sending then out the door for $3-6K.
That trend isn't evident around here but I sometimes pick up a copy of Cafe Racer to see what's going on. I don't go for the extremes but I do like some of what I've seen, particularly when they take 70s and 80s Japanese bikes that were in the crappy "cruiser" configuration of that era and make them look much better, although I would prefer a more standard layout. In particular, I've seen interesting things done with CX500s and Viragos that are much better-looking than how they looked on the showroom floor, at least the ones we got in the U. S.

I don't care for true classics getting chopped, however.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kawasaki has really upped their game with their new 300 Ninja. It's a redesign, not just an overbored 250. A euromotojournalist rode one an indicated 112 mph and said there was more in it. There's an ABS version, too. Here is a short article and specs from MotorcycleDaily.com.
Attachments
Ninja300.JPG
Ninja300.JPG (68.97 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Looks good. They were feeling the pressure from Honda's CBR250r.

Glad to see there's competition in this space.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Southerner wrote:Looks good.
If the article is to be believed, it does more than just look good. :twisted: It even comes in black for folks who are not fans of 46621.
Attachments
Kawa300Blk.JPG
Kawa300Blk.JPG (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

redhandmoto wrote:Just passed a gent on a CB-160 (?); schweeet & quiet little putter.....
I owned a CB160 for several years. It was truly a great little bike - the baby hawk. I once rode it from Boston, MA to Portland, OR (and I've got witnesses :wink: ). Who else has done that with an under 200cc Honda - actaully, probably any number of people have. Just like the energizer bunny - they take a licking and keep on ticking.
Attachments
CB160.jpg
CB160.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
JAEGER

Post by JAEGER »

Yummah.

I confess, however, I'd like to see more than 125cc under the tank. Minimum of 250cc, preferably a 300-400cc (but no larger than a 500).

Still, neat. :)

(And yes, this is a vaporware rendering, but it's still pretty cool.)

--Jaeger
"Exterminate all rational thought. That is the conclusion I have come to." -- Bill Lee, Naked Lunch
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 // 2013 Genuine Buddy 125
www.blackletter.org
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

MotorcycleDaily.com posted Part 1 of 2 of their video about riding the Kawasaki 300. I like articles with text, so I generally eschew supposed "articles" that are nothing but an embedded video. However, I wanted to hear about this bike so badly that I was willing to forgive them. What I really wanted to make sure of was that the bike is really the goods, not a warmed over 250R. They make it clear that the 300 delivers. I want to be excited about this bike, but I was excited about the NC700X as well and my enthusiasm was really dampened by a trip to the dealer. We'll see...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

neotrotsky wrote:
ericalm wrote: In Phoenix, there are hardly any Japanese bikes that haven't been hacked to shit and "bobbered" or "Cafe'd out". And they are all rattlecaned black and VERY poorly done, with rare parts chucked in the trash bn
Tucson has those too. I have a very decent '71 CB500F hidden away from those mooks, couldn't live with myself to see it cut up. :(
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:MotorcycleDaily.com posted Part 1 of 2 of their video about riding the Kawasaki 300.
FYI, Part 2 of he article, a first ride report with more better informative text, is up now.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

This is the Triumph. I love the cafe' racer look, and it would make a very cool eco-bike. I think they should release it in the US to compete
against the Suzuki TU250X, just like the competition between the Kawasaki Ninja 250R-now-300-for-2013 and the Honda CBR250R.

I actually ride a CBR250R myself and it's an unbelievable bike. It has sport-touring ergos as opposed to the Ninjette's race-bike posture,
and it gets 70mpg; considerably more than the Kawasaki. I predict the Ninja 300 will turn around 60mpg based on what's typical for
engine configuration. Anyway, here's the CBR250R. I like the more refined look of Honda, but that's my taste.

Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

My son just added a CBR250R to his collection......nice ride and very flickable......typical well finished Honda mcy.

Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:This is the Triumph. I love the cafe' racer look, and it would make a very cool eco-bike. I think they should release it in the US to compete
against the Suzuki TU250X,Image
Agreed. A great looking bike and perfect for around town and shorter rides.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright